Rebecca Joynes: Teacher found guilty of sexual activity with a child

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
It would still be her body and her choice. You're not going to get any other answers as long as the scenario is "woman deciding to have/not have an abortion".
Totally agree, but weird you can rape someone and then make them a father against their will.

Red Rash

They get labelled paedo if they're prepubescent.

If they've gone through puberty, it's still grooming etc but not necessarily paedophilic. There's an actual term for it but I can't remember...ebebophile(sp?)
E)bouephile

Halftrack

jail-time for that seems wild to me
Yeah, that seems like a disciplinary issue for the school to deal with. Unless he accused her of grooming him or coercing him into it, I don't see how the courts should have anything to say about it.

Carolina Red

Staff
That's a slightly weird example. I'm not sure there should be a blanket ban when we're talking about two consenting adults.

Are you saying they jailed her for a year for having sex with another adult?
She was his student, so... yeah.
jail-time for that seems wild to me
See above. He was still a student in high school. She was his teacher.

You're telling me if a 22 year old male teacher did that with an 18 year old female student that there wouldn't be torches and pitchforks out?
Yeah, that seems like a disciplinary issue for the school to deal with. Unless he accused her of grooming him or coercing him into it, I don't see how the courts should have anything to say about it.
See above.

There's no way it would be seen as a "school disciplinary issue" if the sexes were reversed.

Tarrou

You're telling me if a 22 year old male teacher did that with an 18 year old female student that there wouldn't be torches and pitchforks out?
Nah I'm not telling you that, but... I wouldn't expect the guy to do time. I'd expect him to lose his job and career, and reputation, though.

Halftrack

There's no way it would be seen as a "school disciplinary issue" if the sexes were reversed.
Where I'm from it would. Because a consensual sexual relations between two legal adults doesn't belong in the courts.

One year in prison for having legal, consensual sex with someone of legal age, with a minimal age difference, sans coercion, deception or grooming is absolutely bonkers. Ditto if the teacher was male and the student female.

Carolina Red

Staff
Nah I'm not telling you that, but... I wouldn't expect the guy to do time. I'd expect him to lose his job and career, and reputation, though.
He would also do time...

It's called Sexual Battery with a Student in my state and it applies to students that are 18 years old.
Where I'm from it would. Because a consensual sexual relations between two legal adults doesn't belong in the courts.

One year in prison for having legal, consensual sex with someone of legal age, with a minimal age difference, sans coercion, deception or grooming is absolutely bonkers. Ditto if the teacher was male and the student female.
See above.

nimic

something nice
Scout

There's a very clear power imbalance at play, and it would be illegal where I'm from as well. You can't have teachers engaging in sexual relationships with their pupils.

Halftrack

There's a very clear power imbalance at play, and it would be illegal where I'm from as well. You can't have teachers engaging in sexual relationships with their pupils.
Not necessarily. It's regulated by Straffeloven §295, wherein it's illegal for someone to abuse their position, trust or another's dependency on them in order to acquire (I can't think of a better word for it right now) sexual relations.

A case like the one @Carolina Red mentions, with an 18 year old student and a 22 year old teacher engaging in a consensual relationship, likely wouldn't go anywhere.

Last edited:

Carolina Red

Staff
Not necessarily. It's regulated by Straffeloven §295, wherein it's illegal for someone to abuse their position, trust or another's dependency on them in order to acquire (I can't think of a better word for it right now) sexual relations.

A case like the one @Carolina Red mentions, with an 18 year old student and a 22 year old teacher engaging in a consensual relationship, wouldn't go anywhere.
The very existence of the relationship is an abuse of one's position.

Halftrack

The very existence of the relationship is an abuse of one's position.
I guess that depends entirely on definitions and legal precedence. Obviously in South Carolina, the relationship itself is considered abuse. I think that's a bit bonkers, but since I also tend to write before I think, I can also acknowledge that it's probably for the best (even if it seems very heavy handed in this particular case). If they had mutual feelings for each other, they could have waited until she was no longer in a position of authority and thus saved her a felony conviction, a year in prison and the loss of her fledgling career. There will obviously always be questions asked about such relationships, regardless of how pure, equal and legal they technically are.

nimic

something nice
Scout

A case like the one @Carolina Red mentions, with an 18 year old student and a 22 year old teacher engaging in a consensual relationship, likely wouldn't go anywhere.
In the case of a high school relationship, it is very likely that it would go under that paragraph. It may not be true always, but there are certainly several examples of teachers being sentenced to prison even though the pupil was over 18 and all parties agree it was consensual. "Abuse their position" is almost a given when one party is a teacher and the other is a pupil.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Is it common seeing 22 year old high school teachers? I can't remember having a teacher that young.