Rebecca Joynes: Teacher found guilty of sexual activity with a child

Halftrack

She raped a minor. If the shoe was on the other foot and it was a female who was raped we wouldn’t be clamouring for the child to be born would we
No one's clamouring for anything. Regardless of how the child was conceived, we shouldn't be forcing women to do anything, it's still their body and thus their choice.

Tarrou

If this was a male teacher and a female student he would be labeled as a paedo, the reverse should be and is true.

15 year old's, male or female, are below the age of consent, if they have sex with an adult then that is rape, doesn't matter if it is "consensual" because at 15 they don't have the capability in the eyes of the law to consent.
well it isn’t true and there is no way around that

The Purley King

There is not a bloke alive who hasn’t fantasised about shagging a teacher at some point during their time at school.
As with most things teenage boys think would be brilliant actually isn’t actually that great an idea.
The teacher should get a significant custodial sentence, something is wrong with people who think that is ok.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
It'll be interesting to see what her sentence is. It always seems that women get a far lighter sentence than men get for similar offences. I was under the impression that sentencing guidelines for mothers with children reduce the time spent in prison, but given that her child was born directly because of her crimes I would expect that a lesser custodial sentence on those grounds should not apply.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
There is not a bloke alive who hasn’t fantasised about shagging a teacher at some point during their time at school.
As with most things teenage boys think would be brilliant actually isn’t actually that great an idea.
The teacher should get a significant custodial sentence, something is wrong with people who think that is ok.
The same the girls that fantasize with their male teacher. Of course they like their teacher. No one is saying that the teachers are forcing them. Nor the male teachers not the female teachers. But is grooming. And for whatever reason, the boys are allowed to fantasize and go for it on good for them but the girls are not allowed to fantasize and not go for it and is disgusting

Is exactly the same but is publicly judged differently and for what I read is officially judged different also

If reversed, the teacher would be fearing for his life and try to hide his face as much as possible.

The Purley King

The same the girls that fantasize with their male teacher. Of course they like their teacher. No one is saying that the teachers are forcing them. Nor the male teachers not the female teachers. But is grooming. And for whatever reason, the boys are allowed to fantasize and go for it on good for them but the girls are not allowed to fantasize and not go for it and is disgusting

Is exactly the same but is publicly judged differently and for what I read is officially judged different also

If reversed, the teacher would be fearing for his life and try to hide his face as much as possible.
I think we are arguing the same thing, guess we will see when the sentence is handed down.
The teachers life is now ruined (correctly so) and baby or not she has to do some serious porridge.

lilcurt

I cant get my head around how she (or anyone who does this) thought she would get away with it once yet alone twice.

Agree it will be interesting to see the sentence shell receive. As others have said, there seems to be a massive inequality on how these cases are treated based on the sex or the perp.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
No one's clamouring for anything. Regardless of how the child was conceived, we shouldn't be forcing women to do anything, it's still their body and thus their choice.
I personally think it’s ridiculous that, if a woman wants a baby and isn’t too fussed about there being a father in the child’s life, she can rape a 12 year old boy and still keep the baby, because er….her rights? What about the rights of the 12 year old boy here. In some countries they chemically castrate male pedos (as far as I know), so I don’t see why this is so far fetched here

Halftrack

I personally think it’s ridiculous that, if a woman wants a baby and isn’t too fussed about there being a father in the child’s life, she can rape a 12 year old boy and still keep the baby, because er….her rights? What about the rights of the 12 year old boy here. In some countries they chemically castrate male pedos (as far as I know), so I don’t see why this is so far fetched here
She hasn't kept the baby, though, it's been placed in the custody of the boy's father, and she's also a convicted pedophile now. So that seems like a real shit way for a woman who wants a baby to go about getting it. She's left without the child, convicted of sexual activity with children, very likely looking at a custodial sentence, and will probably have any future children she might have taken away as well, on account of her being a convicted pedophile and all.

Besides, do you imagine, in the time it takes for the crime to be reported, an investigation done, charges filed, the case tried, the woman convicted and sentencing carried out, there'd be time left to abort the baby? Should they preemptively abort it, just in case? Because by the time it's all wrapped up, she likely isn't pregnant anymore.

Chemical castration is also reversible, an abortion isn't.

Halftrack

What isn't true?
Think they mean that pedophilia is specifically an attraction to prepubescent children. 15 year olds aren't prepubescent, so technically speaking being attracted to them (or worse) doesn't count as pedophilia.

However, in common parlance it generally does, so it's mostly semantics.

Withnail

Think they mean that pedophilia is specifically an attraction to prepubescent children. 15 year olds aren't prepubescent, so technically speaking being attracted to them (or worse) doesn't count as pedophilia.

I think we can all agree that she's a nonce.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters

I know and I did say labeled as a paedo which as you say is common parlance

Tarrou

What isn't true?
she isn’t a paedophile, which as I understand it is a sexual attraction to prepubescent children but correct me if I’m wrong

she’s a convicted rapist and a sex offender and should probably go to jail

but just because the Sun or whatever is quick to label men that term incorrectly doesn’t mean it’s the right thing to do to women as well

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
She raped a minor. If the shoe was on the other foot and it was a female who was raped we wouldn’t be clamouring for the child to be born would we
I don't see anyone clamouring for this baby to be born in these messy circumstances, the question is whether we want state enforced abortions as punishments.
It appears she had this baby through consensual sex with a 16 year old. Obviously her being in a position of trust meant it was totally inappropriate, hence she faces a significant jail sentence. The other kid she slept with was 15.

I don't get the angle about needing a father in it's life. Should every woman who gets pregnant off a one night stand get an abortion?
The kid is with social services and she sees it three times a week by all accounts. Obviously not ideal, but not sure killing it is the preferred option every time.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
she isn’t a paedophile, which as I understand it is a sexual attraction to prepubescent children but correct me if I’m wrong

she’s a convicted rapist and a sex offender and should probably go to jail

but just because the Sun or whatever is quick to label men that term incorrectly doesn’t mean it’s the right thing to do to women as well
Which is why I said labeled, like it or not, accurate or not, that's what men are called and if a woman does the same thing they can and should expect to be called the same, and jail, there's no probably about it!

whitbyviking

Imagine being the father of the baby. Life and future affected from a young age. I remember a friend of mine getting his gf pregnant at 16 and it took him years to recover, he never realised his full potential either. Lives down the drain.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Imagine being the father of the baby. Life and future affected from a young age. I remember a friend of mine getting his gf pregnant at 16 and it took him years to recover, he never realised his full potential either. Lives down the drain.
I’ve probably mentioned this on here before but when my partner’s sister started Uni just over a decade ago there was a lad in her halls that managed to get two girls pregnant in freshers week and they both decided to keep the baby. I think he ended up in a relationship with one and they found out together, then shortly after the other girl came forward. I’d love to know how all that worked out.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I think I must have had very different teachers. *shudder*

And agreed - she should go down for a very long time.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I don't see anyone clamouring for this baby to be born in these messy circumstances, the question is whether we want state enforced abortions as punishments.

It appears she had this baby through consensual sex with a 16 year old. Obviously her being in a position of trust meant it was totally inappropriate, hence she faces a significant jail sentence. The other kid she slept with was 15.

I don't get the angle about needing a father in it's life. Should every woman who gets pregnant off a one night stand get an abortion?
The kid is with social services and she sees it three times a week by all accounts. Obviously not ideal, but not sure killing it is the preferred option every time.
I’m happy to leave the remainder of the issue as a difference of opinion, but the bolded - really?

Of course a child should have a father in its life. Growing up without a parent has a profound effect on a child’s life. Now, in the case of the one night stand we can say at least they both consented and are both old enough to know better - but in this case the boy wasn’t.

As @whitbyviking said in a post somewhere, it’s actually the psychological effect on the boy that it most concerning for me in all of this

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I’m happy to leave the remainder of the issue as a difference of opinion, but the bolded - really?

Of course a child should have a father in its life. Growing up without a parent has a profound effect on a child’s life. Now, in the case of the one night stand we can say at least they both consented and are both old enough to know better - but in this case the boy wasn’t.

As @whitbyviking said in a post somewhere, it’s actually the psychological effect on the boy that it most concerning for me in all of this
Just feels a bit Nazi/Stasi like enforcing abortions to me, but yep that's a difference of opinion. I'm sure a lot of women would've chosen to abort in her situation.
Not making excuses for her at all, but not sure she's the most mentally or emotionally stable person.

Clearly a child would ideally have the father in it's life, but aborting it if not seems extreme. Maybe he could grow up to be John Conor.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Forced abortion is hopefully never going to happen in a civilised society. That said I think it would be quite reasonable for the child to be permanently removed and put up for adoption for the wellbeing of the child.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Just feels a bit Nazi/Stasi like enforcing abortions to me, but yep that's a difference of opinion. I'm sure a lot of women would've chosen to abort in her situation.
Not making excuses for her at all, but not sure she's the most mentally or emotionally stable person.

Clearly a child would ideally have the father in it's life, but aborting it if not seems extreme. Maybe he could grow up to be John Conor.
An unlikely timeline but I would absolutely have to cede the point if it happened

Tarrou

Which is why I said labeled, like it or not, accurate or not, that's what men are called and if a woman does the same thing they can and should expect to be called the same, and jail, there's no probably about it!
she is being called the same, in the press and yourself and I’m sure many others so no need to worry about that

I was responding to a tweet saying something along the lines of the press should label her exactly was she is, a paedophile, and i was pointing out that isn’t what she is. If the press are being defamatory in a situation I obviously don't want them to be equally defamatory to everyone, that's just weird.

If we want equality and fairness in society we should give everyone a fair shake and equal rights (unless they lose them by breaking the law), not just give everyone the same treatment, fair or unfair

I say probably go to jail as I have no in-depth knowledge of the case nor the context involved hence why it’s up to the judge or jury to decide that. But unless there are extenuating circumstances then of course I think she should do time

Last edited:

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
What about if she raped a minor, forcing him to conceive but against his wishes, she aborted the baby?

"good friend" New

Carolina Red

Staff
As others have said, there seems to be a massive inequality on how these cases are treated based on the sex or the perp.
I’ve seen it first hand… A good friend of mine growing up knocked up his English teacher our senior year of high school. They only gave her 1 year + 1 year probation. The only thing I can figure other than a disparity between male & female is that they took the age gap into account, with him being 18 and her being 22.

They ended up getting married… are still married actually, and have a 2nd kid together.

Withnail

I’ve seen it first hand… A good friend of mine growing up knocked up his English teacher our senior year of high school. They only gave her 1 year + 1 year probation. The only thing I can figure other than a disparity between male & female is that they took the age gap into account, with him being 18 and her being 22.

They ended up getting married… are still married actually, and have a 2nd kid together.
That's a slightly weird example. I'm not sure there should be a blanket ban when we're talking about two consenting adults.

Are you saying they jailed her for a year for having sex with another adult?

Tarrou

jail-time for that seems wild to me