Redcafe Drafting League Game Thread

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Right I've got everyone's write ups, first lot of results will either be tonight or tomorrow and I'll spread them through the week

Week 1 Game 1

P-Nut

Round 1 Game 1
Stobzilla Vs Harms

Goalkeeper

Jorge Campos is a nutter. But he is the perfect nutter for this set up his quickness means he can cover any ball over the top and sweep up. He is also more than capable of playing the ball in a simple, effective manner in order to be the true starting point of our attacks.

Back 3

Alaba and Ramos flank Frank de Boer, they are to be used in the same way Sergi and Ferrer would operate for Early 90' Barcelona, both of whom are well versed at playing full back roles and centre back roles for their Clubs. They will go forward where ever it possible and create small overloads. Frank de Boer is moved to a centre back role owing to the injuries to Popescu and Baresi.

Diamond 4

Busquets anchors the diamond, filling into the centre back role as he has done countless times for Barcelona when Pep Guardiola employed a similar system in the early 2010's. He will be able to operate and break the play through the lines to Seedorf and Giles, both of whom possess enough quality and enough of an engine to get through the running needed in this role. Sivori will act as the tip of the diamond, possessing more than enough quality to either take the ball on the turn to feed the ball to our forwards, or play neat and simple as a pivot in the same way a Bakero would do for Giles and Seedorf advancing on to the play.

Front 3

Lennox will hold the width on the left and cause problems, he was over a goal every other game in his pomp with Celtic and was comfortably two footed. Laszlo Kubala will be given licence to come off of his wing and link with both Sivori and Bican, whose pace will ensure that the defensive line can not come up too high to suffocate the play in the same way ours is too. There are goals (994 that I can find) to be found in the front 3 alone. 600 of those from our main centre forward Josef Bican.

We will aim to play an attacking game, on the front foot with a focus on creating mismatches in numbers all over the pitch and then using simple passing to create our opportunities. We have the runners to do so whom also possess the extreme quality needed in order too use the ball when we inevitably win it back owing to our pressing. A high line will also be used and can be used with relative safety owing to the aggressive mentality and quickness of our sweeper keeper.

Vs

Not sure if you need my write-up in the first place, but here it is anyway. There is nothing sophisticated about this set-up though, everything is quite straight-forward.

• Between Totti and Hamrin I have 440 goals in Serie A alone. Seeler, with 575 goals in official games, is the 7th most prolific goalscorer in history. So there’s no shortage of goals in my side, especially against not very impressive backline of Stobzilla’s team.
  • In the middle I have 2 of the best midfield generals of the 80’s. Aside from their insane stamina levels, both were more than capable of controlling the game from the deep and often used to break through the opposition lines with incisive dribbling runs. Rivellino plays as a creative wing player on the left that he excelled in — not really a winger, but also not a true number 10 either.
  • Defensive roles don’t really require any explanation. Cafu is unleashed as an attacking fullback, Campbell plays the role of a physical stopper, Schnellinger stays deeper as a more reserved left back and the great Bobby Moore commands the defensive unit.

In a performance that would make Annahmoss proud, Kurt Hamrin earns player of the match with two goals and an assist. Harmed by injuries, Stobzilla's makeshift back line with Alaba and Ramos at right and left centre-back cannot contain the sparkling attack orchestrated by Totti and Rivellino. Stobz brings the gap to 3-1 with a daring forward run by Jorge Campos that goes unmarked by a stunned Lerby but its not enough in the end.

3-1 Harms

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
@P-Nut can we have full information on goals? One is unaccounted for. I'm not sure if you were going to, but I can create and update a top scorer table.

Skizzo

Oh dear.

If I'd have known the write up was going to be published, I'd have put a little extra effort into it.

I feel like the kid me who used to write his English homework on the morning while the posh kids revealed their 15-page manuscript, carefully bound in soft leather.
Yeah I might have taken “brief write up” a little too literally :nervous:

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Round 1 Game 1
Stobzilla Vs Harms

Goalkeeper

Jorge Campos is a nutter. But he is the perfect nutter for this set up his quickness means he can cover any ball over the top and sweep up. He is also more than capable of playing the ball in a simple, effective manner in order to be the true starting point of our attacks.

Back 3

Alaba and Ramos flank Frank de Boer, they are to be used in the same way Sergi and Ferrer would operate for Early 90' Barcelona, both of whom are well versed at playing full back roles and centre back roles for their Clubs. They will go forward where ever it possible and create small overloads. Frank de Boer is moved to a centre back role owing to the injuries to Popescu and Baresi.

Diamond 4

Busquets anchors the diamond, filling into the centre back role as he has done countless times for Barcelona when Pep Guardiola employed a similar system in the early 2010's. He will be able to operate and break the play through the lines to Seedorf and Giles, both of whom possess enough quality and enough of an engine to get through the running needed in this role. Sivori will act as the tip of the diamond, possessing more than enough quality to either take the ball on the turn to feed the ball to our forwards, or play neat and simple as a pivot in the same way a Bakero would do for Giles and Seedorf advancing on to the play.

Front 3

Lennox will hold the width on the left and cause problems, he was over a goal every other game in his pomp with Celtic and was comfortably two footed. Laszlo Kubala will be given licence to come off of his wing and link with both Sivori and Bican, whose pace will ensure that the defensive line can not come up too high to suffocate the play in the same way ours is too. There are goals (994 that I can find) to be found in the front 3 alone. 600 of those from our main centre forward Josef Bican.

We will aim to play an attacking game, on the front foot with a focus on creating mismatches in numbers all over the pitch and then using simple passing to create our opportunities. We have the runners to do so whom also possess the extreme quality needed in order too use the ball when we inevitably win it back owing to our pressing. A high line will also be used and can be used with relative safety owing to the aggressive mentality and quickness of our sweeper keeper.

Vs

Not sure if you need my write-up in the first place, but here it is anyway. There is nothing sophisticated about this set-up though, everything is quite straight-forward.

• Between Totti and Hamrin I have 440 goals in Serie A alone. Seeler, with 575 goals in official games, is the 7th most prolific goalscorer in history. So there’s no shortage of goals in my side, especially against not very impressive backline of Stobzilla’s team.
  • In the middle I have 2 of the best midfield generals of the 80’s. Aside from their insane stamina levels, both were more than capable of controlling the game from the deep and often used to break through the opposition lines with incisive dribbling runs. Rivellino plays as a creative wing player on the left that he excelled in — not really a winger, but also not a true number 10 either.
  • Defensive roles don’t really require any explanation. Cafu is unleashed as an attacking fullback, Campbell plays the role of a physical stopper, Schnellinger stays deeper as a more reserved left back and the great Bobby Moore commands the defensive unit.

In a performance that would make Annahmoss proud, Kurt Hamrin earns player of the match with two goals and an assist. Harmed by injuries, Stobzilla's makeshift back line with Alaba and Ramos at right and left centre-back cannot contain the sparkling attack orchestrated by Totti and Rivellino. Stobz brings the gap to 3-1 with a daring forward run by Jorge Campos that goes unmarked by a stunned Lerby but its not enough in the end.

3-1 Harms
A fair result I think given the injuries.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
@P-Nut can we have full information on goals? One is unaccounted for. I'm not sure if you were going to, but I can create and update a top scorer table.
Good idea

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Oh dear.

If I'd have known the write up was going to be published, I'd have put a little extra effort into it.

I feel like the kid me who used to write his English homework on the morning while the posh kids revealed their 15-page manuscript, carefully bound in soft leather.
I was under the impression we were limited to one paragraph.

Indnyc

A fair result I think given the injuries.
Quite like your team actually.. Great formation and nobody looks totally out of place.. Only concern is if Ramos can actually play that role and be disciplined enough

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
So Stobz had 4 forwards, but it's his Gk that scored the only goal.... :drool:

That reminds me of our forwards.

Last edited:

MJJ

Bet you @MJJ 's is a beautifully written, well researched piece with historic precedents and a bibliography :(
Yeah something like that.

Henry-Eusebio
--Didi-Schuster
-------Varela------
Evra-chiellini-vasovic-hulshoff-gerets
Need a formation graphic and about a paragraph how you expect to play

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
:lol:

Still win though :(

(I wrote mine like I was doing a SWOT analysis report for work. I need to separate work from home).
You actually do SWOT analysis in work? I teach A-Level Business Studies and just assumed that pretty much everything I teach no one does. What line of work are you in?

P-Nut

ROUND 1 GAME 2 SWARM VS PHYSIOCRAT

Alright, simple write-up. My team are playing a simple 4-2-3-1. In the role of the main striker I have Gunnar Nordahl who will give his opposition a hard time all game fighting tooth and nail for every ball and heading in crosses. These crosses will come from Czibor on the left wing who will be backed up and overlapped by Roberto Carlos. The offensive firepower on the left will be balanced out by a more risk averse right flank with Jair putting in the necessary work defensively and Picchi focusing of defensive duties as well.
In midfield I have Sandro Mazzola leading the charge with Pirlo behind him distributing pinpoint passes to the frontline. In order for Pirlo to be able to work his magic he will be backed up by the defensive workhorse that is Mauro Silva. At centre back I have Ferri as a stopper balancing out Roberto Carlos offensive runs while Ondrus opens up play from the back. I feel I have a well balanced team set up and dare Physio to bring it :lol:

Formation 4411 out of possession

Defensive Line Moderate, half-court press

Style Moderate/High risk possession team (possession with a purpose) stretching the play both laterally and vertically.

Suarez will the brains of the team who has full freedom to drop deep and move into the AM position. Cambiasso will sit and break things up. Vogts will be more defensive than Briegel to allow Stielike to play the libero role (like Der Kaiser played in 74). Barnes will be able to cut inside a bit with Briegel on the overlap. Figo will be Figo. Enzo as an AM without the ball and SS with it and Riva to score goals. Pretty simple really

Swarm Vs Physiocrat

The game starts off with Swarm on top, Carlos and Czibor combining to pull Vogts out of position, Czibor gets on the inside and let's one fly top left, 1-0.

Physiocrat answers back down the same flank, Figo slips Carlos and slips Riva in behind Ferri, a simple 1 on 1 gets rolled bottom corner, 1-1.

Swarm gets back on the offensive, and overlapping run from Carlos sees a dangerous cross whipped to the back post, Czibor gets above Briegel to put him back in the lead, 2-1.

Half time

Second half resumes and Figo is once again giving Carlos a tough time, Ferri pulls wide to double team him and the ball is slipped to Enzo in plenty of space, shoots from the edge of the box and the game is all tied up 2-2.

Coming to the closing minutes and Swarm's team are on top, Carlos goes on the outside of Czibor once again looking for the overlap, Vogts cuts it out and plays the ball to Figo in space. Carlos can't catch up as Figo advances down the field. Ferri comes across to meet him, but the ball is past him in a flash, Figo advances to the corner of the box and smashes one past Planicka to win the game. 2-3, game over.

Last edited:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Someone needs to edit the scores — it's home team first and the away team second, not whichever team scored last first :)

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
You actually do SWOT analysis in work? I teach A-Level Business Studies and just assumed that pretty much everything I teach no one does. What line of work are you in?
Banking, Commercial Risk. I look after struggling businesses with debt of £1m-£10m. Understand them, fix them (if possible), pass them on to a 'normal' manager, move on.

Really makes the ladies swoon.

I did A level Economics (and some other stuff) when in college. Got a B..... really should have spent some time revising. Ah well.

To this day, I can still remember the authors of the huge red book we all had as our 'bible'. Begg, Fischer and Dornbusch.... they sound like they could have been subs for your German backline.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Well that was a rollercoaster of emotions right there. I got way more excited over this than I should have and am probably more bummed about the result than I should be as well :lol: That last paragraph had me in attack in the beginning, got my hopes up and all :(

Still, really fun and great write up. Shame that it was basically all about one flank but I guess the way both teams were set up that was to be expected. Congrats to Physio, I will come back stronger. Also great effort from Barnes to get that own goal :lol:

P-Nut

Well that was a rollercoaster of emotions right there. I got way more excited over this than I should have and am probably more bummed about the result than I should be as well :lol: That last paragraph had me in attack in the beginning, got my hopes up and all :(

Still, really fun and great write up. Shame that it was basically all about one flank but I guess the way both teams were set up that was to be expected. Congrats to Physio, I will come back stronger. Also great effort from Barnes to get that own goal :lol:
Oops corrected, my bad

P-Nut

R1G3 - MJJ Vs BKTWR

Playing Style:-

Fluid team built around an attacking quadrant of Eusebio, Henry, Didi and Schuster. The team can easily transform into a 4-4-2 with Didi and Schuster pulling out wide and Vasovic joining Varela in the middle of the pitch. The team will look to play direct, attacking football like united of all where we were happy to counter attack but also dominate possession if the opposition wants to allow us to have the ball.

The transition between attack and defense will be very quick with the likes of vasovic, didi and schuster and the pace and power of eusebio and henry up front. Netto will be playing the alaba role (under pep) for which he is perfectly suited.

Vs

https://www.buildlineup.com/shared/5d0ec6b5138c092e24ada4c6

Tactics
  • 433 : Rossi - Tassotti/Koeman/Lucio/Camacho - Makelele/Socrates/Neeskens - Rep/Drogba/Rivaldo
  • Camacho pushes up if space
  • Tassotti stays back - an excellent man marker with great anticipation, speed and defensive awareness
  • Makelele sits, marks Eusebio, best person to minimise his impact like Stiles did but Makelele is better
  • Rivaldo/Rep hug the touchline and pin opposition FBs back
  • All three forwards (and two central mids) can individually score/win games and all VERY comfortable on the ball
  • To maximise 433, need a CF who can hold up the ball and bring in attacking mids/wide players ... Drogba is perfect for this, a beast

Strengths
  • Everyone in perfect/best position
  • Perfect 433.... top def mid, top centre mids/energy, two touchline hugging wide men and perfect sole striker/hold up
  • Dominate midfield - the best def mid (we name the position after him) sitting behind two all-time central midfielders with individual attacking ability plus amazing work-rate
  • Defence all winners (31 league titles between them) and individual leaders/captains
  • All five defenders were key components of some of the great defences ... Milan, Barca, Bayern/Brazil and Real
  • Amazing success throughout the team at top level - leagues around the world, European winners, World Cup success
  • Will score from set plays. Rivaldo delivery... Koeman, Lucio, Socrates, Drogba good in air
  • See Eusebio as key opponent but Makelele perfect to stop allowing front 5 to interact, at speed, score from anywhere
  • Shoot from distance
  • Individual dribbling
  • Crosses/headers
  • Koeman sprays passes from deep. If opponents push up and lose the ball, counter at speed and front three would cause any defence problems
Players like Eusebio, Henry, Schuster will create chances... but I think the players they come up against will limit these and my front five have goals from anywhere and everywhere

His striker is Drogba I'm hoping he'll sort the formation out for next week

MJJ vs BKTWR

The game starts off with a lot of good quick passing in midfield with both teams looking to get the final third players in as soon as possible.

Right from the start there are two areas of the pitch which look worry some

1. Makelele man marking Eusebio leaves Schuster and Didi with a decent amount of freedom on the ball with Neeskens trying his best to contain them
2. Netto in a make shift LCB role seems to be out of place considering he hasn't played there much at the highest level. With Evra having attacking responsibilities as well.
3. Koeman struggles to keep up with the pacy duo of Henry and Eusebio
4. In possession, Koeman/Neeskens/Socrates do look to hold on to possession for long amounts of time while Varela is left hoping for more work rate out of Didi and Schuster

22' - Vasovic wins the balls after a long spell of possession for the opposition. He finds Didi and lets Henry through on goal with Koeman panting. 1-0 to Team MJJ

40' - Team BKTWR has been trying to equalize and dominating possession for fun here in a desperate need to equalize. Neeskens finally puts Rep through with Netto failing to read the situation. He puts a cross in for a easy header for Drogba to pounce onto. Its 1-1

Half time -

BKTWR's team cant seem to find their manager on the bench for the half time break. He seems to have gone offline.
Team MJJ on the other hand have been requesting their manager to come up with a plan to get more of the ball. Manager MJJ doesnt look arsed and just asks them to dominate the possession. Puzzled players return back to the pitch.

2nd half starts like the first and team BKTWR dominates possession while Team MJJ tries to hit back on counters

65's - Eusebio drops deep and gets the ball while Makelele does well to close him down. Eusebio runs wide and Makelele follows him leaving tonnes of space for Schuster to run into. He hits a long ranger that goes into the corner. Its 2-1. BKTWR has just returned to the stands

72' - Socrates and Neeskens combine well to again let Rep through again. Netto is having a horrible night. He is not a good fit as LCB at a top tier, especially in a team trying to hit hard on the counter. Rep slots it through to equalize.

90' - Team BKTWR looks to be trying hard to win this. Drogba decides to double up along with Rep on Netto. Evra tries to help Netto out finally and makes matters worse. Koeman's long ball into Drogba is easily won against Netto and he heads into the path of Rep who is brough down by Evra in the box. He concedes a penalty.

92' - Game has been stopped for a few minutes with MJJ and BKTWR fighting on the touchline. Both managers have been sent to the stands. MJJ asks the ref to feck off while BKTWR casually tells him that he was about to go offline for hours anyways and leaves the stadium.

93' - Neeskens steps up to take the penalty and Schmeichel saves and holds onto it. He launches a quick ball forward with an amazing long throw. Eusebio is let through with loads of grass in front of him. Koeman has flashbacks of R9 running past him and Stam for fun. Eusebio lets Henry though who slots it in. Its 3-2. Team MJJ seem to have stolen it. Koeman is crushed down on his knees 25 yards away from goal.

Henry runs towards Schmeichel to celebrate and tells him he has secretly always been a United fan and cheered for him when he saved the penalty against Bergkamp.

94' - Full time whistle is blown. Schmeichel the hero. Proves it yet again that goalkeepers are as important as the outfield players.

Post match interview -

Synco : How does it feel to be the best player on the pitch and lose the game?

Lucio : What? :confused:

MJJ

R1G3 - MJJ Vs BKTWR

Playing Style:-

Fluid team built around an attacking quadrant of Eusebio, Henry, Didi and Schuster. The team can easily transform into a 4-4-2 with Didi and Schuster pulling out wide and Vasovic joining Varela in the middle of the pitch. The team will look to play direct, attacking football like united of all where we were happy to counter attack but also dominate possession if the opposition wants to allow us to have the ball.

The transition between attack and defense will be very quick with the likes of vasovic, didi and schuster and the pace and power of eusebio and henry up front. Netto will be playing the alaba role (under pep) for which he is perfectly suited.

Vs

https://www.buildlineup.com/shared/5d0ec6b5138c092e24ada4c6

Tactics
  • 433 : Rossi - Tassotti/Koeman/Lucio/Camacho - Makelele/Socrates/Neeskens - Rep/Drogba/Rivaldo
  • Camacho pushes up if space
  • Tassotti stays back - an excellent man marker with great anticipation, speed and defensive awareness
  • Makelele sits, marks Eusebio, best person to minimise his impact like Stiles did but Makelele is better
  • Rivaldo/Rep hug the touchline and pin opposition FBs back
  • All three forwards (and two central mids) can individually score/win games and all VERY comfortable on the ball
  • To maximise 433, need a CF who can hold up the ball and bring in attacking mids/wide players ... Drogba is perfect for this, a beast

Strengths
  • Everyone in perfect/best position
  • Perfect 433.... top def mid, top centre mids/energy, two touchline hugging wide men and perfect sole striker/hold up
  • Dominate midfield - the best def mid (we name the position after him) sitting behind two all-time central midfielders with individual attacking ability plus amazing work-rate
  • Defence all winners (31 league titles between them) and individual leaders/captains
  • All five defenders were key components of some of the great defences ... Milan, Barca, Bayern/Brazil and Real
  • Amazing success throughout the team at top level - leagues around the world, European winners, World Cup success
  • Will score from set plays. Rivaldo delivery... Koeman, Lucio, Socrates, Drogba good in air
  • See Eusebio as key opponent but Makelele perfect to stop allowing front 5 to interact, at speed, score from anywhere
  • Shoot from distance
  • Individual dribbling
  • Crosses/headers
  • Koeman sprays passes from deep. If opponents push up and lose the ball, counter at speed and front three would cause any defence problems
Players like Eusebio, Henry, Schuster will create chances... but I think the players they come up against will limit these and my front five have goals from anywhere and everywhere

His striker is Drogba I'm hoping he'll sort the formation out for next week

MJJ vs BKTWR

The game starts off with a lot of good quick passing in midfield with both teams looking to get the final third players in as soon as possible.

Right from the start there are two areas of the pitch which look worry some

1. Makelele man marking Eusebio leaves Schuster and Didi with a decent amount of freedom on the ball with Neeskens trying his best to contain them
2. Netto in a make shift LCB role seems to be out of place considering he hasn't played there much at the highest level. With Evra having attacking responsibilities as well.
3. Koeman struggles to keep up with the pacy duo of Henry and Eusebio
4. In possession, Koeman/Neeskens/Socrates do look to hold on to possession for long amounts of time while Varela is left hoping for more work rate out of Didi and Schuster

22' - Vasovic wins the balls after a long spell of possession for the opposition. He finds Didi and lets Henry through on goal with Koeman panting. 1-0 to Team MJJ

40' - Team BKTWR has been trying to equalize and dominating possession for fun here in a desperate need to equalize. Neeskens finally puts Rep through with Netto failing to read the situation. He puts a cross in for a easy header for Drogba to pounce onto. Its 1-1

Half time -

BKTWR's team cant seem to find their manager on the bench for the half time break. He seems to have gone offline.
Team MJJ on the other hand have been requesting their manager to come up with a plan to get more of the ball. Manager MJJ doesnt look arsed and just asks them to dominate the possession. Puzzled players return back to the pitch.

2nd half starts like the first and team BKTWR dominates possession while Team MJJ tries to hit back on counters

65's - Eusebio drops deep and gets the ball while Makelele does well to close him down. Eusebio runs wide and Makelele follows him leaving tonnes of space for Schuster to run into. He hits a long ranger that goes into the corner. Its 2-1. BKTWR has just returned to the stands

72' - Socrates and Neeskens combine well to again let Rep through again. Netto is having a horrible night. He is not a good fit as LCB at a top tier, especially in a team trying to hit hard on the counter. Rep slots it through to equalize.

90' - Team BKTWR looks to be trying hard to win this. Drogba decides to double up along with Rep on Netto. Evra tries to help Netto out finally and makes matters worse. Koeman's long ball into Drogba is easily won against Netto and he heads into the path of Rep who is brough down by Evra in the box. He concedes a penalty.

92' - Game has been stopped for a few minutes with MJJ and BKTWR fighting on the touchline. Both managers have been sent to the stands. MJJ asks the ref to feck off while BKTWR casually tells him that he was about to go offline for hours anyways and leaves the stadium.

93' - Neeskens steps up to take the penalty and Schmeichel saves and holds onto it. He launches a quick ball forward with an amazing long throw. Eusebio is let through with loads of grass in front of him. Koeman has flashbacks of R9 running past him and Stam for fun. Eusebio lets Henry though who slots it in. Its 3-2. Team MJJ seem to have stolen it. Koeman is crushed down on his knees 25 yards away from goal.

Henry runs towards Schmeichel to celebrate and tells him he has secretly always been a United fan and cheered for him when he saved the penalty against Bergkamp.

94' - Full time whistle is blown. Schmeichel the hero. Proves it yet again that goalkeepers are as important as the outfield players.

Post match interview -

Synco : How does it feel to be the best player on the pitch and lose the game?

Lucio : What? :confused:
@harms are you going to stand for this

Awesome write up pnut

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Are draws possible? Or win/lose only?