Redcafe Drafting League Game Thread

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
The character assassination of netto.
Well, it is an unexpected role. I've used him as a false fullback, but I'm not sure that you're making the most of his talent while playing him between Vasovic and Evra. I'm also not sure how well your side is going to dominate the possession — if you're going to play Netto in defence (which can be done), you should make sure that the system fits him.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Very funny @P-Nut .

Which idiot let Neeskens take the penalty?! Rivaldo should have grabbed the ball off him.....

.... though looking at the write-up, doesn't appear Rivaldo made it on to the pitch. Glad I picked him.

(Edit. I'm amazed VAR didn't tell the ref to retake the penalty. Schmeicel was MILES off his line!)

(Edit, edit. And who'd have thought Koeman (and the rest of the team apparently) would be so far up the pitch when we have a penalty? What are the odds?)

Last edited:

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Just to clear up, I'm not writing all the write ups, credit goes to the committee for most of them, I've only done 1 so far.

MJJ

Well, it is an unexpected role. I've used him as a false fullback, but I'm not sure that you're making the most of his talent while playing him between Vasovic and Evra. I'm also not sure how well your side is going to dominate the possession — if you're going to play Netto in defence (which can be done), you should make sure that the system fits him.
The thinking of was to play him in an alaba-ish role from where he could peel off to lb, stay central or swap with varela.

But whatever the role, I wouldn't expect him to struggle one on one against attackers.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Just to clear up, I'm not writing all the write ups, credit goes to the committee for most of them, I've only done 1 so far.
Unless you want to keep it a secret for some reason it would be nice to add the name of the comittee member that judged certain matches. Makes it a lot easier to know who to hate :lol:

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Unless you want to keep it a secret for some reason it would be nice to add the name of the comittee member that judged certain matches. Makes it a lot easier to know who to hate :lol:
And who I paid

P-Nut

And who I paid
Only reason I've avoided putting names is so managers don't purposefully pander to who is judging their match. For example putting players in they know that person loves etc

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Only reason I've avoided putting names is so managers don't purposefully pander to who is judging their match. For example putting players in they know that person loves etc
Oh yeah that makes sense. If I knew a certain one was judging my game I'd definitely switch to a 433

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Well if you put it with the write-ups then it is after the fact and won't change much right? Of course you could then try to guess who hasn't judged you yet and might be on for your next game but on the one hand that suggests a more systematic approach than I expect from the comittee (:D) and on the other it is still a gamble which is fine in my book.

harms

Staff
Also - what about the MotM award? We can do this one, I think?

P-Nut

My team will play a 4-3-3 formation. In goal we have one of the greatest in Iker Casillas. In defense we have the all round contribution of Leandro on the right, the more defensive Andrade on the left and the eastern block solidity of Shesternyov and Zebec, both of whom were among the greatest defenders of their era's. In midfield we have Rijkaard who will be looking to limit the influence of Maradona, Bozsik who will be playing as a deep lying playmaker and Kevin de Bruyne who will be playing in a box to box role. Our front 3 consists of Joya on the left who will be looking to provide crosses for Piola in the centre and Gullit playing as an inside forward on the right to take full advantage of their aerial prowess, with Leandro also being able to provide crosses for them when he advances down the right hand side.

Vs

Drawing inspiration from Diego's Napoli squad, we have a back line that is comfortable defensively, and with Cole and Maicon, two full backs who can get forward and stretch play. They're well covered by De Rossi, as well as Souness and Coluna who are two box to box titans who would cover every blade of grass to win the ball and get it to Diego. Those three can stifle any midfield.

Ahead of him, we have Del Piero and Careca, two pacy runners who will work the channels and link play, opening space for Diego to work his magic. Both of them, as well as Coluna, can work as secondary creative outlets as needed.

Michael vs Skizzo.

Start of the season and both sides look very confident from the off with the exception of Maradona who looks a bit stoned.

From the first whistle both teams battle for advantage, but the possession is shared in the first 15 minutes. Skizzo's team look more confident in attack showcasing some sleek combinations between Maradona and Careca who seemed to have played with each other before. Careca and Del Piero shoot from outside the box but couldn't find the target. Rijkaard anchors the midfield and neutralizes the more central Skizzo approach.

On the other side Michael's team is trying to exploit the gap in Skizzo's defence between Abidal and Cole with Gullit moving through the lines. Bozsik and De Bryune deliver some quality diagonal passes on the wings but Piola is well neutralized in the box by McGrath, with Michael's team failing to convert the openings to shots on target.

After the more direct first 20 minutes we see Michael's team stepping a yard or two soaking the pressure up. Skizzo's team grow in confidence.

32' Couple of sideway passes find Maradona with his back to goal near the D. He slides it to the left with Del Piero looking to find some space on the flank. A quick one two with Ashley Cole he slips it back to Souness who drives it from 35 yards. Cassillas gets a finger on it and it shatters the crossbar into a corner.

39' Skizzo's team move the ball well in the attacking third but Michael's team is just way too organized. They try to dribble their way into openings and finding space inside the box, but are well taken care of. On the other end Juan Joya cuts inside from the left forcing a save from Trautmann.

43' Just before stroke of half time with Skizzo's team looking likely to open the score the illogical happens. Rijkaard steals the ball deep inside his own half and squares it to Bozsik. Kevin de Bryune looks for space and crosses rushes through. Bozsik picks him up and KDB quickly releases it to Gullit who storms through Abidal like he isn't there and blasts it past Trautmann. 1-0 Michael.

HT: Little between the sides with Michael with the upper hand in the score and Skizzo in controlling the game.

47' Early attempt on target from Coluna who seems to be leading the charge in the second half. Casillas shows safe hands.

55' Skizzo's side seems poised to get things back to level terms but so far isn't able to break up the opposition.

66' Whilst the opposition is concentrated on Maradona, the fail to spot Coluna near the box. Maicon stretches the right wing and crosses into the box. Zebec clears the danger but it fells right into Coluna who connects and after a slight deflection the ball hits the side netting. 1-1.

72' Michael's team looks to get ahead again with Piola and Gullit missing a good half chances.

78' Who else but Maradona? He drags Shesternyov wide and whilst the danger looks cleared for a moment he swiftly turns and beats incoming Rijkaard to cover. With a pocket of space and another feint he's in the box and puts it past Casillas. 1-2 Skizzo.

88' Big chance for Skizzo. A cross in the opposition box finds Maradona who flaps it into the top corner. 1-3. Huge protests assume and the ref puts VAR into play. VAR proves Maradona being a cnut, whilst the latter tells him to feck off.

90' FT. Skizzo wins it. Maradona walks to the center and demands his team mates to create a circle:

@Michaelf7777777 @Skizzo

P-Nut

Orchestras by "Regele" Hagi , the team is lead by Gerd Muller (398 goals in 453 games with Bayern) and G. Meazza (241 goals in 348 games for Inter) in attack. With solid midfield and incredible defence, this team can confidently start the game on the front foot.

V

Formation: 4-4-2 Diamond

Forlan is playing in a withdrawn striker/no.10 role which is similar to the role he played for Uruguay in the 2010 World Cup where he was rated player of the tournament. Hazard has a free roaming role with Van Nistelrooy providing the goals

Giresse and Wan Hanegem in their preferred positions and add creativity from the midfield

Both Lizarazu and Kaltz are excellent attacking fullbacks and will provide width.

Des Walker provides the grit as stopper and Bossis plays more as a ball playing defender

An exciting game that promises a lot of goals. Both teams were mared with pre-season injuries. Isotope would miss Davids energy in the middle of the park and Sammer is sidelined in a set up that looks tailored to him.

For Indnyc the versatile Bossis comes inside to command the defence with Cannavaro injured, whilst a true leader in Sir Bobby wouldn't be able to put his stamp in this game either.

5' Early pressure for Indnyc. Walker and Bossis just can't cope with der Bombers movement and the high press is definitely troubling the CB pair and Deschamps. Hagi breaks free and finds Muller just outside the box. Quick feet and the ball almost makes it to the net. Uncharacteristic miss from Muller.

8' Another chance for Isotope. Marcelo dribbles past Kaltz and puts the ball in the box. After a Meazza takes a step back and connects a beautiful bicycle kick. Banks only manages to turn it for a corner.

11' Chance for Indnyc. Hazard and Lizarazu combine on the left. A low cross finds Ruud in a tight angle. Just misses.

14' Hazard tests Perruzi from distance. Good effort but too weak to trouble him.

20' Game looks end to end stuff. Still goalless but pretty exciting.

30' Van Hanegem pulls Ardiles by the shirt and is on a yellow. Cholo comes in and pulls him by the neck. Dead even in that department now as well.

38' Muller and Meazza look more tightly marked after looking dangerous in the first couple of minutes. That leave space for Isotope's midfielders and they test Banks from distance. So far he looks solid.

HT. One of the exciting 0-0 around. Plenty of chances but none could convert.

50' Kaltz puts one of his banana crosses in the box, Ruud heads it in and Perruzzi could only parry it right into Forlan. Big chance. Diego skies it from 5 yards and falls on the ground in shame. Nobody can believe it the score remains the same.

55' Half chance for Muller. After quick change in possession ball falls to him just outside the box. He shields it and looks to Hierro who makes a late run in the opposition half. 2 seconds after Muller is on the end of the pass in the box. 1-0. He doesn't miss two of those.

61' Word is they are still trying to recover Forlan's ball.

67' Ruud's off the mark. Great work from Hazard to set him up dribbling through 2 players of the opposition. Ruud heads it from 5 yards. 1-1.

72' Match is dead even, couple of chances for each side with Hazard being the most creative player today. He's pulling the strings for Indync.

75' Corner for Isotope. Hagi swings it in on the near post. Ruggeri heads it first to the far post where Bergomi nods it in. 2-1, Isotope is ahead again.

77' Well that didn't last long. Who else but Hazard to inspire team Indnyc. He engages couple of opposition defenders and finds van Hanegem. A sweet finish and it's back to square terms. 2-2.

88' Good news. Forlan's ball has been recovered.

FT: A fantastic game that ended without a winner. Both teams would rue their chances but eventually the draw seemed the fair result.

@Isotope @Indnyc

P-Nut

Advantage for Chesterlestreet
  1. Gerson given enough space to dictate play from deep, with support of Zito's defensive work and Edwards' physicality. Closest player that is able to press him would be Eto'o, but having him to follow Bezsonov as well would be too much to ask
  2. Ze Roberto looked out-of-place as the sole holding midfielder, not helped by unfortunate injury on Gilberto Silva and N'Golo Kante
  3. While Alba may match Lato in terms of pace, Lato will eventually triumph with better tactical awareness and football intelligence
  4. Albert dropping deep as false nine would pull at least one opposition player away, creating space for Boniek (who thrives at either side) and/or Lato (was a lethal striker at club level) to score.
  5. Bezsonov and Cabrini provide outlet on the flank for Albert to feed the ball to
  6. Hansen's ability to carry the ball out from defense is very much welcomed

Advantage for cubemine

1. Santos-Matthews is a lethal combo at the right-hand side
  2. Zidane's elegant play and mesmerizing dribbling skill would certainly create goal-scoring opportunity. With better midfield support, he could have done more

Other comment

• Difficult to judge Mario de Castro with only 5 years of football career, even though his goal scoring record is pretty impressive

Predicted outcome:

Chesterlestreet
(3) vs. cubemine (2)

Goals scored
  • Boniek (assist from Gerson)
  • Boniek (assist from Albert)
  • Lato (assist from Bezsonov)
  • Zidane (free kick)
  • Castro (assist from Matthews)
MOTM: Boniek

@Chesterlestreet @cubemine

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Pleased with that - thanks!

Was slightly unsure about Albert, mainly, as he may not be everyone's cup of tea - he's a Ballon winner without anything huge and undeniable to his name in terms of success in major leagues/tournaments.

harms

Staff

Assist stats are debatable, as some of them are based on vague descriptions (as they are in real life).

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Was slightly unsure about Albert, mainly, as he may not be everyone's cup of tea - he's a Ballon winner without anything huge and undeniable to his name in terms of success in major leagues/tournaments.
Looks like a perfect fit for Boniek & Lato to me. Great front three that can create havoc by playing off each other.

Indnyc

Orchestras by "Regele" Hagi , the team is lead by Gerd Muller (398 goals in 453 games with Bayern) and G. Meazza (241 goals in 348 games for Inter) in attack. With solid midfield and incredible defence, this team can confidently start the game on the front foot.

V

Formation: 4-4-2 Diamond

Forlan is playing in a withdrawn striker/no.10 role which is similar to the role he played for Uruguay in the 2010 World Cup where he was rated player of the tournament. Hazard has a free roaming role with Van Nistelrooy providing the goals

Giresse and Wan Hanegem in their preferred positions and add creativity from the midfield

Both Lizarazu and Kaltz are excellent attacking fullbacks and will provide width.

Des Walker provides the grit as stopper and Bossis plays more as a ball playing defender

An exciting game that promises a lot of goals. Both teams were mared with pre-season injuries. Isotope would miss Davids energy in the middle of the park and Sammer is sidelined in a set up that looks tailored to him.

For Indnyc the versatile Bossis comes inside to command the defence with Cannavaro injured, whilst a true leader in Sir Bobby wouldn't be able to put his stamp in this game either.

5' Early pressure for Indnyc. Walker and Bossis just can't cope with der Bombers movement and the high press is definitely troubling the CB pair and Deschamps. Hagi breaks free and finds Muller just outside the box. Quick feet and the ball almost makes it to the net. Uncharacteristic miss from Muller.

8' Another chance for Isotope. Marcelo dribbles past Kaltz and puts the ball in the box. After a Meazza takes a step back and connects a beautiful bicycle kick. Banks only manages to turn it for a corner.

11' Chance for Indnyc. Hazard and Lizarazu combine on the left. A low cross finds Ruud in a tight angle. Just misses.

14' Hazard tests Perruzi from distance. Good effort but too weak to trouble him.

20' Game looks end to end stuff. Still goalless but pretty exciting.

30' Van Hanegem pulls Ardiles by the shirt and is on a yellow. Cholo comes in and pulls him by the neck. Dead even in that department now as well.

38' Muller and Meazza look more tightly marked after looking dangerous in the first couple of minutes. That leave space for Isotope's midfielders and they test Banks from distance. So far he looks solid.

HT. One of the exciting 0-0 around. Plenty of chances but none could convert.

50' Kaltz puts one of his banana crosses in the box, Ruud heads it in and Perruzzi could only parry it right into Forlan. Big chance. Diego skies it from 5 yards and falls on the ground in shame. Nobody can believe it the score remains the same.

55' Half chance for Muller. After quick change in possession ball falls to him just outside the box. He shields it and looks to Hierro who makes a late run in the opposition half. 2 seconds after Muller is on the end of the pass in the box. 1-0. He doesn't miss two of those.

61' Word is they are still trying to recover Forlan's ball.

67' Ruud's off the mark. Great work from Hazard to set him up dribbling through 2 players of the opposition. Ruud heads it from 5 yards. 1-1.

72' Match is dead even, couple of chances for each side with Hazard being the most creative player today. He's pulling the strings for Indync.

75' Corner for Isotope. Hagi swings it in on the near post. Ruggeri heads it first to the far post where Bergomi nods it in. 2-1, Isotope is ahead again.

77' Well that didn't last long. Who else but Hazard to inspire team Indnyc. He engages couple of opposition defenders and finds van Hanegem. A sweet finish and it's back to square terms. 2-2.

88' Good news. Forlan's ball has been recovered.

FT: A fantastic game that ended without a winner. Both teams would rue their chances but eventually the draw seemed the fair result.

@Isotope @Indnyc
Poor Forlan.. Seems he had his United scoring boots on.. @Isotope good game.. Draw seems reasonable

P-Nut

Will attack through the wings particularly the right side to target his weak full backs, Sheva should also fancy his chances against Thiago Silva and co. Bonhof will be the DM, Netzer will link defence with attack. Pirri will provide world class distribution from the back supported by Hughes who was great on the ball too. I think my attack will have too much for his defence. His best player KHR will be well matched by one of my best defenders in Marzolini.

Vs

Tactics: Possession based 433
Iniesta finally gets his wish and plays with Scholes. Its not a tiki taka remake even though it has a lot of touching points.
All players immense on the ball, lots of movement without the ball and probably the most important thing is that throughout the whole team there is a lot of selflessness in there so the football they play should be a thing of beauty.
Personally always thought Scholesy can easily play tiki taka in the original team, here he can use his long passing as well as wide forwards have a lot more quality then the original team so a isolation out wide is a big bonus. Lastly, playing without a F9 but with a striker that screams football intelligence, would be a great glue guy up front and he always guaranteed goals.

2mufc0 vs Sjor

The game starts off with both teams looking really positive.

10' Team 2mufc0 are looking brilliant and fast on the ball. Kaka has been dragging Nestor all over the place with Jinky and Keizer pegging Bennarivo and Alves at the back.

12' The pressure finally pays off and with Nestor out of position. Netzer has a lot of room to stride forward. He threads a ball beyond Alves into the path of Keizer who puts a lovely cross in. Shevachenko meets the ball with his left foot and slots it in 1-0 to team 2mufc0. Team Sjor didn't expect this. The manager Bepo wants to communicate something to his defensive midfielder but keeps on shouting 'Busi! Busi!' which has largely left the players puzzled.

16' Team Sjor have finally found a foot hold on the game and are dominating the possession. Iniesta, Scholes and Nestor seem too difficult to win the ball off for the opposition. Team 2mufc0 at this point seem to be happy with the lead and want to contain the opposition.

24' The stars for Team 2mufc0 so far have been the full backs. So many attempts to provide a final ball to Blokhin and Kalle have been eaten out by Alberto and Marzolini.

31' Team 2mufc0's centrebacks look like they could let a goal in any time soon. The lack of a proper strong stopper looks worrisome. The fullbacks at this point are bailing them out

44' We are almost at half time and Scholes threads a ball through to Larrson who scores. Its 1-1.

45' VAR has been called in and they rule it offside. Stays 1-0 at HT

Team 2mufc0 need to start getting onto the ball a bit more and they need to sort their CBs. If not for the early lead, they would have gone into the half time break with their heads held down. The central area of the pitch is simply not working for them with a lack of ball winners and with two similar CB's.

51' Team Sjor's fullbacks have left their defensive responsibilities and are bombing up and down the pitches.

55' Blokhin put Benarrivo through on the overlap who puts a hopeful high cross centrally which lands outside of the box. Huge screams of shooooot from the crowd as Paul Scholes lets one rip and puts in into the top right corner. This is an unbelievable goal. Its 1-1. It has been coming for ages.

60' Team 2mufc0 have finally woken up and look way more aggressive. But they dont have an answer to the opposition's possession onslaught. There is a lot of passing at the backs between the centre backs and midfield to hold on to the ball for sometime

63' A long pass from Pirri from the deep falls into Jinky's path who passes it to Kaka who puts it wide. He has largely looked disinterested with a lack of time on the ball.

72' Its Kalle and Alves's turn this time to finally break Marzolini's shield of that left side. Kalle Give it to Alves and moves centrally. Alves returns it back to him and he slots it in quite easily. Its 1-2. Manager 2mufc0 is cheering his team on to attack

76' Team Sjor catches an attacking 2mufc0 team on the break again. Nestor gives it to Iniesta who passes it back to Scholes. Scholes puts in a long back into the path of Blokhin. Alberto is no where to be seen. Blokhin is on his way to the goal. He shoots and scores. This is all over at this point 3-1 now.

83' Team 2mufc0 seem to have given up. A possession heavy team in full song can do that to you, especially when your team lacks ball winners and strong shutting out the opposition defenders at the back.

89' Iniesta dribbles past 1, dribbles past 2, dribbles past 3. This is ridiculous. He puts in Blokhin who takes an easy 4th goal. Its 4-1. This is simply a class apart

90' Full time

Scholes, Iniesta and Nestor have simply blown the opposition midfield apart. The players who bought them back into the game are Alves and Benarrivo. Carlos Alberto and Marzolini did their best to contain the opposition, but needed more support and spells of pressure being released but that did not happen. This ends 4-1.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
4-1 wasn't that far apart :lol:

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks

My team will play a 4-3-3 formation. In goal we have one of the greatest in Iker Casillas. In defense we have the all round contribution of Leandro on the right, the more defensive Andrade on the left and the eastern block solidity of Shesternyov and Zebec, both of whom were among the greatest defenders of their era's. In midfield we have Rijkaard who will be looking to limit the influence of Maradona, Bozsik who will be playing as a deep lying playmaker and Kevin de Bruyne who will be playing in a box to box role. Our front 3 consists of Joya on the left who will be looking to provide crosses for Piola in the centre and Gullit playing as an inside forward on the right to take full advantage of their aerial prowess, with Leandro also being able to provide crosses for them when he advances down the right hand side.

Vs

Drawing inspiration from Diego's Napoli squad, we have a back line that is comfortable defensively, and with Cole and Maicon, two full backs who can get forward and stretch play. They're well covered by De Rossi, as well as Souness and Coluna who are two box to box titans who would cover every blade of grass to win the ball and get it to Diego. Those three can stifle any midfield.

Ahead of him, we have Del Piero and Careca, two pacy runners who will work the channels and link play, opening space for Diego to work his magic. Both of them, as well as Coluna, can work as secondary creative outlets as needed.

Michael vs Skizzo.

Start of the season and both sides look very confident from the off with the exception of Maradona who looks a bit stoned.

From the first whistle both teams battle for advantage, but the possession is shared in the first 15 minutes. Skizzo's team look more confident in attack showcasing some sleek combinations between Maradona and Careca who seemed to have played with each other before. Careca and Del Piero shoot from outside the box but couldn't find the target. Rijkaard anchors the midfield and neutralizes the more central Skizzo approach.

On the other side Michael's team is trying to exploit the gap in Skizzo's defence between Abidal and Cole with Gullit moving through the lines. Bozsik and De Bryune deliver some quality diagonal passes on the wings but Piola is well neutralized in the box by McGrath, with Michael's team failing to convert the openings to shots on target.

After the more direct first 20 minutes we see Michael's team stepping a yard or two soaking the pressure up. Skizzo's team grow in confidence.

32' Couple of sideway passes find Maradona with his back to goal near the D. He slides it to the left with Del Piero looking to find some space on the flank. A quick one two with Ashley Cole he slips it back to Souness who drives it from 35 yards. Cassillas gets a finger on it and it shatters the crossbar into a corner.

39' Skizzo's team move the ball well in the attacking third but Michael's team is just way too organized. They try to dribble their way into openings and finding space inside the box, but are well taken care of. On the other end Juan Joya cuts inside from the left forcing a save from Trautmann.

43' Just before stroke of half time with Skizzo's team looking likely to open the score the illogical happens. Rijkaard steals the ball deep inside his own half and squares it to Bozsik. Kevin de Bryune looks for space and crosses rushes through. Bozsik picks him up and KDB quickly releases it to Gullit who storms through Abidal like he isn't there and blasts it past Trautmann. 1-0 Michael.

HT: Little between the sides with Michael with the upper hand in the score and Skizzo in controlling the game.

47' Early attempt on target from Coluna who seems to be leading the charge in the second half. Casillas shows safe hands.

55' Skizzo's side seems poised to get things back to level terms but so far isn't able to break up the opposition.

66' Whilst the opposition is concentrated on Maradona, the fail to spot Coluna near the box. Maicon stretches the right wing and crosses into the box. Zebec clears the danger but it fells right into Coluna who connects and after a slight deflection the ball hits the side netting. 1-1.

72' Michael's team looks to get ahead again with Piola and Gullit missing a good half chances.

78' Who else but Maradona? He drags Shesternyov wide and whilst the danger looks cleared for a moment he swiftly turns and beats incoming Rijkaard to cover. With a pocket of space and another feint he's in the box and puts it past Casillas. 1-2 Skizzo.

88' Big chance for Skizzo. A cross in the opposition box finds Maradona who flaps it into the top corner. 1-3. Huge protests assume and the ref puts VAR into play. VAR proves Maradona being a cnut, whilst the latter tells him to feck off.

90' FT. Skizzo wins it. Maradona walks to the center and demands his team mates to create a circle:

@Michaelf7777777 @Skizzo
:lol::lol: