Redcafe Drafting League Game Thread

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Did Marzolini ever play RB? From what I've seen Hughes never played RB, it was either LB/CB or midfield.
Hughes in midfield makes sense then. My general view is that right footed left backs will be fine at right back

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
He did play in midfield and scored in double digits too for a season or two apparently. If you watch his youtube videos, looks very similar to Bonhof to me. Bursting up and down and had a thunderous shot on him.

Don't think I'd use him or Bonhof as the lone DM to get the best out of them but I think both are functional there.

Hughes-Bonhof double pivot would be great to watch IMO.
Thunderous is an apt description for Hughes just didn't know he played in midfield. B2B would suit his style

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Hughes was very versatile, so nothing wrong with fielding him as a DM, as such.

Question is how much credit he should get in a more advanced position, given the context (all-time, no restrictions).

He's a more obvious asset as a CB or LB.

But he ain't blatantly out of position, you can't say that.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Thunderous is an apt description for Hughes just didn't know he played in midfield. B2B would suit his style
Ditto.

Didn't know about the midfield (think just before my time). Guy had boundless energy, just not sure how disciplined he'd be in a def mid role. See him more as a cocker spaniel (mental) than an alsatian

(quiet day in work. Thinking of dog/player comparisons).

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho

My team are playing a simple 4-2-3-1. In the role of the main striker I have Sandor Kocsis arguably the best header of the ball to ever play the game. He will be heading in crosses left right and center. These crosses will come from Czibor on the left wing who will be backed up and overlapped by Roberto Carlos. The offensive firepower on the left will be balanced out by a more risk averse right. Sandro Mazzola can play most positions in attack and will help out on right wing here playing a balanced role both turning up in attack and putting in the necessary work in defense. In these defensive duties he will be backed up by Tarcisio Burgnich.
In midfield I have Nils Liedholm leading the charge also delivering for Kocsis with Pirlo behind him distributing pinpoint passes to the frontline. In order for Pirlo to be able to work his magic he will be backed up by the defensive workhorse that is Mauro Silva. At centre back I have Schwarzenbeck as a stopper balancing out Roberto Carlos offensive runs while Ondrus opens up play from the back. I feel I have a well balanced team set up and dare Phys- I mean Chester to bring it.

Vs

Roles:

Boniek: Free role, drifts across.
Lato: Wide forward/winger, frequently drifts into the box.
Cubillas: AM, pushes up, highly dangerous both inside and outside the box.
Edwards: B2B
Zito: DM/holder
Gerson: DLP

Defence: straight forward, offensive (but defensively solid when called on) FBs, Hansen more of a ball player, Wright more of a stopper/marker.

An interesting matchup between two sides that right from the off put very inventive set ups that leave a lot to the imagination.

1' Right from the off Swarm's team tries to exploit the left wing and Carlos tries a long ranger from tight angle. Fillol just tips it over into a corner.

7' It's the left side again for Swarm where he gains advantage. This time it's Czibor who gets the best of Bezsonov and crosses it into the box. Kocsis is there with a diving header which just clips the outside of the net.

11' Chester's men slowly get into the game. Edwards beats couple of opposition players with his trademark deep run and lays it off to Cubillas whose shot is easily saved by Planicka. Has to do better than that.

19' Chester's team sees more of the ball in the last 10 minutes or so but fail to capitalize. Ondrus and Schwartzenbeck break most of the attacks around the box and the lack of presence up top is proving to be an issue.

30' Cabrini surges forward into space left by Mazzola who tucks in. Silva comes in to close him, but that leaves space in the middle. It's Lato who gets a chance and it's close. Planicka stretches to just parry it across.

35' Good chance for Chester. After a quick one-two Lato is fouled 5 yards away from the box. It's Cubillas who lines up. A trademark shot with outside his boot sees the ball going over the wall and just below the bar. 1-0!

38' Swarm's team looks to get back into the game which sees initiative going either way. It's Pirlo and Liedholm this time combining that creates some space but the shot is saved by the keeper.

42' Another chance for Swarm and this time it capitalizes! Zito is dispossessed by Mazolla in his own half who releases it to Kocsis. The latter beats the offside trap and puts it past the keeper. 1-1!

55' Couple of good chances for both sides after the break but so far no team is able to hit the target. Chester comes closer with Gerson finding the top corner from range, only to see his shot saved.

70' Mauro Silva manages to win the ball back in his own half. A rare time in the second half when Swarm's team keeps the possession for longer period. But it paid off. After couple of short passes through the middle, Pirlo finds Czibor wide. He crosses it into the box where Kocsis leaps in the air to nod it to Liedholm who shoots hard and low into the bottom corner 1-2 Swarm!

90' Chester men throw the kitchen sink for the remaining minutes with Swarm's team happy with the score. They come real close to equaling the score but see themselves only just short of luck. Victory goes for Swarm, but wouldn't count against it coming the other way round on a different day.

@Swarm @Chesterlestreet

P-Nut

A 4231 with the idea of being direct and decisive. Maicon and Cole will look to support on the wings.

Souness being the slightly more defensive box to box midfielder of the two, both him and Coluna will look to help provide a solid foundation for Diego to roam in the final third.

JM Moreno and Del Piero will look to push into the box to support Careca, as well as drop deeper into space to link with Diego and he drives forward.

Vs

Formation: 4-4-2, counter-attacking, through the flanks and based on fantastic movement of my front two

Strategy: Break Diego's leg or at least make him limp (Mascherano duty), defend deep and win on the counter. After scoring clear all balls to the highest seat in the stadium.

Notice: If we officially lose after 90 minutes, insist on a drug test for the whole opposition team

5th minute - The pattern of the game looks set here early on. Skizzo's team are pushed high up the pitch, dominating possession as Coluna and Souness have too much space for Haessler to effectively close them down.

17th minute - Souness tries a clipped ball to Moreno to run onto behind Krol, Chumpitaz gets across and clears towards Conti. He brings it down and with a step over tries to knock it on the outside of Cole. Cole intercepts and sets off down the left. Haessler and Zambrotta come across but a reverse ball sets Maradona in at the defence with Mascherano desperately trying to catch up. As Maradona is about to pull the trigger he gets taken out by Mascherano - it's a yellow and a free kick 20 yards out. Maradona takes but it's easily saved.

30th minute - The game has settled back into its original pattern, Maicon goes on the overlap outside Krol, but Moreno ignores him and cuts inside. He's inside the box and pulls it back to Maradona, he strolls onto it before nonchalantly curling it into the top right. 1-0 and it's been coming.

43rd minute - Skizzos team look like they want to get a second and a cushion just before half time. Maicon again is deep in the opposition half, he swings in a looping cross towards the back post where Del Piero is attacking, Tresor gets a head to it and it's retrieved by Zambrotta. Counter attack could be on here as we head for the half time whistle.

44th minute - Zambrotta plays the ball into Haessler, he looks to turn and play into the feet of Keegan, who in turn switches it back to Conti, who is the wrong side of Cole. Conti drives centrally at McGrath, releases the ball to Elkjaer who spots Keegan arriving from deep. He plays a little dinked pass into Keegan's onrushing path. The ball bounces slightly as Keegan hits it with the outside of his boot, Trautmann saves and gathers it at the second attempt.

HT

56th minute - The second half has seen team Skizzo play with a bit more caution after the scare at the end of the first half. Cole sits slightly deeper with Souness barking orders at Coluna to hold his position. Diego strolls around knocking the ball about waiting for an opening.

67th minute - Coluna is on the ball, he knocks it to Del Piero who has come inside Zambrotta. He plays a 1-2 with Maradona and sees Tresor rushing to meet him on the edge of the box. A cute slide rule through ball sets Careca through on goal 1 on 1. A toe poke at the near corner catches the keeper out and doubles the lead. 2-0

75th minute - The crowd have started a Mexican wave, as Skizzos team knock the ball around for fun. Keegan is gasping for breath after chasing the midfield of Skizzo around for the last 5 minutes.

80th minute - Souness knocks the ball in to Maradona, he suddenly ups the pace of the game with a zipped ball out to Moreno. He in turn knocks it to Careca, who shields the ball and lays it off to Maradona. He drills the ball top right and leaves the keeper stood looking at where the ball just zipped past him.

85th minute - Moreno skips inside Krol and lays the ball off to Maradona who is wrong side of Mascherano. Mascherano has seen this one too many times today and pulls him back before he can get anywhere near the ball. The referee is on the way over. He seems to have sympathy for Mascherano after witnessing what he's been through today. He gives him a ticking off, but allows him to stay on the field. Maradona stands over the free kick looking for his hat trick. He curls it far corner and catches the keeper moving across. He'll take home the match ball tonight.

FT - 4-0
Maradona - 3G
Careca - 1G 1A
Del Piero - 1A
Moreno -1A

@Skizzo @Jim Beam

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Hopefully @Jim Beam's tactics will be taken in consideration in the next week's injury list :angel:

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Get in :drool: Was already getting frustrated with my team for not putting away those early chances :lol: Nice to get a win but was obviously a close one. Better luck in your next match @Chesterlestreet

This whole league theme is really awesome in my opinion. Great job @P-Nut :)

P-Nut

My team will play a 4-3-3 formation. Leandro will be the more offensive of my two fullbacks while Andrade will be more defensive. Claudio Gentile will man mark Eusebio while Shesternyov will deal with the other Striker that my opponent plays. Frank Rijkaard will be the defensive midfielder with Bozsik playing as a deep plying playmaker and De Bruyne as a box to box midfielder. My front 3 features the brilliant real life combination of Spencer and Joya which was a crucial part of the successful Penarol team of the 1960's with Ruud Gullit playing as an inside forward on the right looking to both help create chances for other players and provide another goalscoring option in addition to Spencer.

Vs

Tactics:-

• I expect rijkaard to be marking Didi. If that is indeed the case, Didi will adjust his starting position to be a bit more wider thus dragging rijkaard out of the middle of the pitch. This will leave two of bozsik/kdb/orwick against schuster and varela which works in my favour.
  • If rijkaard doesn't follow didi out wide, the overlapping brehme and didi will take full advantage of leandro's weak defensive game (please don't let @GodShaveTheQueen and his leandro dissertation judge this game) and punish micheal down that flank.
  • Weah and Eusebio will be tough for Gentile to contain without getting sent off and they will look to run at him at every opportunity.
  • Brehme/Chiellini is as good a flank as you can ask for to shut down Gullit.
  • Żmuda's partnership with Pawal Janas in the 1982 World Cup, Brazil coach Tele Santana who managed possibly the greatest side never to lift the World Cup, stated after the torunament, 'If I had in my team a pair such as Janas - Żmuda, all the other nations would only need to concentrate on the fight for second place.'

First Half: Mjj controls the match for the first 20 minutes piling on pressure. Didi and Schuster run the show with Rijkaard and Bozsik unable to contain the pair. But Shesternyov and Gentile smother Weah and Eusebio enough that the first goal is scored at 35 minutes in with Juan Joya feeding Spencer who heads in a powerful goal past Zmuda and Schmeichel.
1-0 Michaelf

Second Half: Varela and Nasazzi fire the side and shut down the midfield routes. It's a rare night where Gullit struggles to get into the flow of the game. Didi eventually plays an impressive through ball to Weah who dummies it for Eusebio which briefly confuses Gentile and allows Eusebio to score a goal. The rest of the match falls into a battle of attrition like a 1962 World Cup match. Chiellini and Andrade both receive red cards. The ref is booed and called a Pillow.

End: 1-1

Spencer (35')
Eusebio (77')

@MJJ @Michaelf7777777

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I don't actually know, really we should do, however I never clarified it in the OP as it's all a bit trial and error still.
It just seemed that in this weeks game Mascherano looked like he'd be sent off. A way to deal with it could be you get one less player injured if you have a man sent off. For ease, just so one game suspensions

P-Nut

It just seemed that in this weeks game Mascherano looked like he'd be sent off. A way to deal with it could be you get one less player injured if you have a man sent off. For ease, just so one game suspensions
Yeah I agree. It's something I'll probably encorporate going forwards, just hadn't cleared it up in time for this week's matches.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
:lol: Wtf? That was the instruction in a funny way, didn't think it will be taken literally (no way am reading all that wall of text btw).

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
:lol: Wtf? That was the instruction in a funny way, didn't think it will be taken literally (no way am reading all that wall of text btw).
It wasn't just about your instruction, just how the match description went. I remember old draft games where IIRC Montero was up against a tricky winger and it seemed pretty clear he'd probably get a red eventually.

P-Nut

Pierre Littbarski comes in for injured Kurt Hamrin — the little German provides an even more multifaceted attacking option on the right. Blessed with divine dribbling, completely ambidextrous, his crosses were accurate, long shots — unsavable, basically he was every defender's worst nightmare. The rest is the same — Totti as a trequartista, Rivellino as a wide playmaker, Seeler as a complete striker.

Captain Marvel gets back into the starting XI after an unfortunate injury to form a vintage 80's midfield partnership with Jean Tigana. My already impressive defensive line arguably improved with Roberto Perfumo coming into the team.

Vs

Formation 4411 out of possession

Defensive Line Moderate, half-court press

Style Moderate/High risk possession team (possession with a purpose) stretching the play both laterally and vertically.

Motto - whoever scores more wins.

Veron will have a similar role to how he played with Utd in Europe and excelled with his fantastic passing range and his tenacity off the ball - moreover, he'll have more freedom here than at Utd and can move into the AM position if he wishes. No Roy Keane to compete with, he is instead alongside a facilitating DM in Cambiasso, behind an AM in Francescoli and next to a hardworking right winger in Figo. In addition, he will have Olsen as an extra passing option in midfield since Olsen reprises his peak Libero role. Bergmark having played in a 325 at right full-back in Sweden's excellent 1958 Sweden side, he will be comfortable to step inside to CB when Olsen moves forward- he is though also able to make forward runs having played behind Hamrin who liked to cut in quite a bit.

Back from injury is Sir Tom Finney who has licence to cut in to make use of his excellent goal-scoring ability when Enzo steps back to more of a classic AM in possession - when that happens, Briegel will come on the overlap. Finney will though go round the outside like Figo will to put in some pinpoint crosses to make use of Riva's aerial ability although he will also be on the end of some sumptuous through balls from Enzo, Figo and Veron. Enzo will be an AM out of possession and more of a SS with it although he has the freedom to slip between the two.

Harms team are looking to extend their good form facing a more depleted Physio side missing some star players. Physio's team are going all out in the hope of outscoring the opposition.

2' Early pressure from Physio. Sir Tom Finney catches bad pass to Cafu in the build up and slips it to Enzo. The latter shields it from Perfumo and manages to turn to the goal. His shot however is saved by the keeper.

5' Harms team looks more dominant in midfield from the off. Tigana and Robson have the midfield under control and don't allow the opposition press to bother them.

9' Rivelino, Totti and Seeler combine near the box. Totti traps the ball and tries to find Seeler in the box. Ball is cleared but just in the path of Rivelino who rattles the crossbar from 25 yards out.

13' Big chance for Physio's side. Riva engages the opposition center backs. Enzo slips through and squares it to Finney who faces Carrizo 1 on 1 from a tight angle. His shot though hits the side nettings. Score is still 0-0.

17' Battle in midfield ensues with teams exchanging possession.

21' Littbarski receives deep on the right wing. He dribbles through Finney who goes to close him and faces Briegel. Decides to pass it through the middle where Totti and Tigana exchange couple of passes. This leaves some space for Robson who seems to be forgotten and he makes one of his deep runs into the box. Totti passes it with just enough weight and Robson capitalizes - 1:0 Harms.

27' Harms team continue to dominate proceedings after they are 1 up and their confidence is high. Toldo makes a couple of saves, whilst Seeler also goes close on goal.

32' Another good combination through the middle and another good chance. This time it's Rivelino creativity which sets up Seeler in the box. He turns Olsen and makes no mistake. 2:0 Harms.

39' Physio's team looks to press higher up in an attempt to get back into the game. Harms pulls back a bit after a good advantage in terms of goals. Some half chances around the box for Riva and Veron who don't find the target.

HT: It's team Harms at the moment controlling the proceedings. They seem to get more changes from the middle and so far Rivelino and Robson have raised their game.

47' Good chance for Physio right from the off. It's again Enzo who seems the best player for Physio at the moment weaving his magic wide and crossing the ball to Riva in the box. He goes up and meets the cross only to see his header parried away by Carrizo.

52' Cambiasso breaks up the play in the middle and squares it to Veron. He plays it long on the right with Figo up there to receive it. Turns Schnellinger and cuts inside. From a tight angle he finds the roof of the net - 1:2. Game on.

59' That's nearly 2:2. A corner from the left has Forster heading it on the near post. Ball goes off the woodwork and unfortunately for Physio nobody in red shirt to meet it.

70' Robson makes a deep run with the ball. He enters the opposition half and finds Totti in some space. Just outside the box Totti notices the keeper being slightly off his line. A great chip and it's 3-1 harms.

75' Couple of chances for Physio's side - they seem not to give up. Briegel and Finney combine on the left and cross it again for Riva who nearly makes it 3-2.

83' Harms team are playing on a counter and happy with the score.

FT - 3-1. Very exciting game with Harms's team showing more cutting edge in front of goal.

P-Nut

https://www.buildlineup.com/shared/5d158277138c092e24adab29
IN this game I will ahve Ze roberto playing in a role similar to that of Bertrand during the 2012 Champions league final where he will try and neutralise the opposition right hand side, he will also drop back to slot in at left back when Jordi Alba goes up the pitch for a cross. Kante will play a very defensive role to try and win the ball before it gets to the defence and then pass it to any of the other midfielders to get the attack started, if Kante is dragged too far back then Gerrard will drop back to help. Suarez is very good at dropping his mark to collect crosses and that will be how most of the goals are scored. Gerrard is on Free kicks with Mathews on left corners swinging the ball in and Alba is on right corners swinign the ball in. In Goal I Have Petr Čech who is probably the third best premier league keeper of all time and was a top 3 gk in the world before his injury.

Vs

Tactics: Counter-attacking 433
Opposition lacks creativity so we are happy enough to sit a bit deeper and defend this time. Dangers are Matthews, Villa and Gerrard.
Matthews will be man marked by a proven man marker Albert Ferrer, feisty little fecker with great engine should make Sir Stan having a difficult game. Obviously he wont be stopped but will be pushed on the outside when he does break through and the team is comfortable in defending delivery from wide against Villa and secondary threat Gerrard. Gerrard will be stopped by share numbers in midfield while Villa just wont have enough of service + both Carvalho and Silva are great and mobile athletes if he gets through.
Offensive wise, aim is to target fullbacks, reckon Djalma will play on the right so the main target would be one of Alba/Ze Roberto. Alba is fantastic overlapper and a good offensive threat but he costs Barca in big games time and time again and Kalle supported by Dani Alves will have a field day against him. Ze Roberto as a wingback is class below Alba so whichever plays, i like it.
After we win the ball the aim is to isolate wingers on 1v1 through quick direct passes of Overath, Scholes and his twin glove brother Ederson. If Kante and other go wide to cover there is more then enough quality through the middle.
any excuse to post this:
:drool:

Cubemine vs Sjor

3' The plan from Team Sjor seems to be pretty straight forward. When they have the ball, they seem to be moving it to the right flank as soon as possible to Kalle and Alves.

9' Opposition manager has planned well and in the initial few minutes, the hardly flashy Alba and Ze Roberto flank seems to be doing well defensively

16' Team Cubemine seems to have a lot of players in multi functional roles with Ze Roberto helping stretch the pitch, adding numbers to the midfield and of course helping Alba out. Gerrard seems to be running all over the pitch contributing both in the final 3rd and deeper.

22' Essien has constantly been moving towards the right flank helping Alves out in 2 vs 1 situations. Its a really risky idea to often move your most defensively capable midfielder to help out wide. Ze Robert0 finds Gerrard in the middle who easily skips past Scholes and threads a ball through for his partner Suarez who slot it in. Its 1-0 to team Cubemine. This was discussed pre match. Suarez has scored 4 in his last 3 games against Silva and he continues the glorious run.

30' Blokhin the best attacker for Sjor from the last game seems to be completely shut down by Djalma while Vidic and Van Dijk have handled Larrson quite well.

34' A brilliant tackle from Kante stops Overath on the surge. That was looking threatening.

42' Matthews who has had a quite game so far puts a cross in from the right but neither Suarez nor Castro can get to the end of it. Matthews needs to put in lower crosses since heading is neither Suarez nor Castro's strongest skills.

45' HT break. Team Cubemine lacks too many flashy names but their tactics so far have been perfect to handle the opposition

55' The Kalle and Alves pressure continues. Kalle squares one back for Alves who put runs centrally and shoots. Saved by Cech.

60' Kalle again down the right lets Alves through on the overlap. He gives it back to Kalle who coolly slots it in at Cech's near post. Could have been saved. 1-1

71' Team Cubemine thinks they can still win this and continues with the attacks. Matthews has been much better in the second half. He puts a low cross in for Suarez who has an easy tap in, but Ederson saves with his feat. That was from point blank. It has fallen back straight to Castro though who slots it in. 2-1

83' Team Sjor finally gets a move on but cant seem to break the opposition. They look really vulnerable on the counters now.

90' That is full time. Manager cubmine has pulled off an upset here. No one gave them a chance when the lineups were first announced but the manager has pulled off a tactical masterclass there. This ends 2-1