Redcafe Snooker

Zen

I'm glad no ones wondering why the Aussie Open is having fans, Judds attitude sums up an awful lot of our population to this whole thing unfortunately.....

ChrisNelson

Trump hasn’t turned in to anywhere near the bell end it looked like he would a decade ago.

He’s guilty of an error of judgement but so have many others.

He’s got his head down over this last 2 years and become at times untouchable.

Looks like he will walk this final, Lisowski is sadly quite the bottle job.

The tag of best player not to win a ranking event is one the players hate and Jack is struggling to cope with it.

It was the same with Ryan Day a few years ago until he won one.

Zen

Hardly a bottle job when you've lost to substantially better and heavily favoured players.....I don't mind the term, but it's brutally harsh when completely out of context for no reason.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
It's one thing to lose but this is pretty awful considering I would say that Judd is nowhere near his best either . Judd doing a great job of managing frames though while Jack is making really awful mistakes

ChrisNelson

Shootout today until Sunday, live on Eurosport in the UK.

Quite a lot of players have dropped out so there's been a few wildcard/junior top-ups.

But still some very big names playing, more than most previous years.

I still don't agree it should be a ranking event, winning so few frames under a shot clock and ball in hand fouls but I suppose it adds intensity towards the end as there's a good chance whoever wins it will never get near another ranking title.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Shootout today until Sunday, live on Eurosport in the UK.

Quite a lot of players have dropped out so there's been a few wildcard/junior top-ups.

But still some very big names playing, more than most previous years.

I still don't agree it should be a ranking event, winning so few frames under a shot clock and ball in hand fouls but I suppose it adds intensity towards the end as there's a good chance whoever wins it will never get near another ranking title.
Thanks for reminding me. I've been waiting for some snooker to come back on DAZN here in Canada.

Whilst I do enjoy the shootout, playing back the crowd noise just seems terrible. I don't get why the players should have to deal with that, too. They shouldn't have to hear the same noise if there aren't any people around.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Thanks for reminding me. I've been waiting for some snooker to come back on DAZN here in Canada.

Whilst I do enjoy the shootout, playing back the crowd noise just seems terrible. I don't get why the players should have to deal with that, too. They shouldn't have to hear the same noise if there aren't any people around.
I thought shoot out and no crowd just might work, but then seen a match today,...stupid.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Mark Allen just scored the highest break ever in Snooker Shoot Out after an impressive performance against Jimmy Robertson. He was absolutely in the zone and played all of his shots to perfection.

The crowd noises ruined the moment that he got his century, though. Too bad we have to go through the same old noises over and over again in this tournament.

ChrisNelson

Yeah I can understand applause for good shots and winning a frame but the way they’re using the canned applause is bizarre.

This tournament normally attracts the football/darts type crowd so I think the players would have been looking forward to a break from it!

Funny thing about the format is Allen could easily follow up a record high break by being eliminated without putting a ball - form goes out of the window.

Hamilton v Milkins and Brecel v Murphy the highlights this evening.

Bertie Wooster

I couldn't comment on the last Snooker tournament while it was happening as I was still a Newbie then.

I'm a huge fan of both Judd Trump and Jack Lisowski, so I've really enjoyed the last two ranking tournaments.

I'm desperate for Jack to finally win his first ranking tournament and so, for the first matches ever in his career, I was actually preferring Judd to lose those two finals. Although I couldn't bring myself to actively will him to miss any shots, so just enjoyed the spectacle really of both of them in the final (less so the second one, as it was tough to watch Lisowski lose so heavily).

I'm looking forward to the Welsh Open now. And, in the build up to it, Judd has qualified for the final group of the Championship League that'll be played in April after another brilliant couple of days effort to win his group (including a great comeback to beat Kyren Wilson in the S/F).

ChrisNelson

Yeah the Championship League sometimes slips under the radar but there's been some good snooker played this year.

I think Trump is a wounded animal from being forced to miss the Masters due to Covid.

I agree with you about Lisowski too, he seems a decent lad and has a good attacking game. My only concern is the mental side of his game, when things aren't going his way or he slips a couple of frames behind you can write him off quickly. That of course can change with hard work, as a front runner he's as strong and uncatchable as anyone.

Also looking forward to the Welsh, the Home Nations tournaments have been a big success since they were re-branded a few years ago. Got some holidays to use up so will probably have a couple of days next week to watch.

Bertie Wooster

Yeah the Championship League sometimes slips under the radar but there's been some good snooker played this year.

I think Trump is a wounded animal from being forced to miss the Masters due to Covid.

I agree with you about Lisowski too, he seems a decent lad and has a good attacking game. My only concern is the mental side of his game, when things aren't going his way or he slips a couple of frames behind you can write him off quickly. That of course can change with hard work, as a front runner he's as strong and uncatchable as anyone.

Also looking forward to the Welsh, the Home Nations tournaments have been a big success since they were re-branded a few years ago. Got some holidays to use up so will probably have a couple of days next week to watch.
Yeah, the mental side of his game is definitely Lisowski's weak area.

He's very interesting in interviews as he'll freely discuss that. In the past, he's sounded very down on himself and almost resigned to the fact that he expected to lose to the mentally tougher players like Selby, Trump, Robertson, etc.

He's sounded a bit more confident in the last few months, as if he feels he's slowly getting towards a mentally stronger and more consistent game. However I'm hoping that heavy final defeat hasn't set him back as he's not done well in the shoot out or Championship League since then (albeit two very short formats so tough to judge form).

ChrisNelson

Some interesting ties in the first round of the Welsh Open that starts today:

Ding Junghui vs. Lyu Haotian
Stephen Maguire vs. Dominic Dale
Stuart Bingham vs. Rob Milkins
Neil Robertson vs. Mark King
Mark Williams vs. Michael White

O'Sullivan will meet Jimmy White in the second round if they both win their opening matches (Jimmy has Mark Joyce so will start second favourite).

Positive news that it's being held in Wales as snooker has pretty much lived in Milton Keynes since just after the World Championship last year.

The Celtic Manor resort (home of the 2010 Ryder Cup) obviously provides a secure bubble for the players including accommodation but also presumably provides a little more for them to do whilst not playing, and with the greatest respect to Milton Keynes (having been to the stadium) there's not tons to do around there!

acnumber9

the greatest respect to Milton Keynes (having been to the stadium) there's not tons to do around there!
I had to go to Milton Keynes for work for a few days early last year. It may actually be the worst place I’ve ever been to.

Bertie Wooster

Neil Robertson has withdrawn from the Welsh Open. Disappointed with that, as he's one of the players I really enjoy watching - along with the likes of Trump and Lisowski.

I assumed it was due to Covid, but apparently it's for 'personal reasons'. Hope everything is OK with him. He struggled for a while a year or two ago when his wife suffered badly with depression - but hopefully this is nothing too serious.

ChrisNelson

Got to love Thursday's at the Home Nations events. Two rounds played on the same day as they go from 32 to 8 (QF's tomorrow, SF's on Saturday and Final on Sunday).

Highlights today are Williams v Perry (ongoing), Murphy v Day, Walden v Lisowski and Higgins v Carter.

Possible last 16 ties are Selby v Yan, Trump v Williams, Lisowski v Wilson and Higgins v Allen.

Bertie Wooster

Looking forward to the final tomorrow.

I like the entertainment factor of a flawed genius, but always prefer to see the controlled genius side of Ronnie - the kind that Judd has been portraying for the last couple of years.

And been very impressed with Jordan Brown this week. Not just his temperament, but his solid all round game. Hopefully he can continue this improvement in the coming years.

I don't mind who wins in the end, but hopefully the occasion won't get to Jordan and he'll put up a good battle and make it a close contest.

Bertie Wooster

Final frame decider!

Delighted it's got to this stage. I'd normally want Ronnie to win (apart from when he's playing against Judd or Jack). But I'm glad Brown's put up a really good showing and taken it all the way.

I'm really not sure who I want to win it now. Probably still Ronnie, but I hope Jordan doesn't do anything like miss a sitter that'll haunt him and sour the great week that he's had.

Alemar

Simply amazing final. Ronnie played well actually, so even more honor for Jordan Brown. What a story to win his first ever ranking tournament - in a decider against arguably the best player ever.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Eurosport interview was a bit cringe. Are you going to take the trophy to the petrol station? How is the 70k going to affect your life?

The money is probably more than mulletman earned last year for a start.
Yeah Andy knows a lot of these players really well but clearly he didn't know brown well so should have kind of kept it more formal . Jimmy white & Angles were so nice though

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Who is he, Andy? Apologies for my ignorance.

Oh the host Andy Goldstein . He is a United fan and is also a talk show host on talksport . Really nice guy and he used to play snooker so he knows a lot of these guys like Ronnie etc very well for a long time