Redcafe Snooker

ChrisNelson

Could not have gone much better this afternoon in terms of creating an exciting evening session.

All but one match finishes with just one frame between the players!

Lisowski 6-3 Stevens
Walden 4-5 M. Davies
Dale 5-4 Guogiang
Zhou 4-5 J. Jones
Maguire 5-4 Yuan
Heathcote 5-4 Bingham
R. Williams 5-4 Wakelin
Lyu 4-5 Kendrick

Bertie Wooster

Great stuff from Jack today (and was even better in round 3!) as he becomes the first qualifier through to the World Championship. :)

Coming in as a qualifier, and with £20,000 already guaranteed, might be better for his mentality. Though still wouldn't fancy him against any of the top 8. But if he can get a good draw then he has as good a chance (or more) as any of the other qualifiers.

Last edited:

ChrisNelson

Day one confirmed qualifiers:

Jack Lisowski
Ricky Walden
Dominic Dale
Jak Jones
Stephen Maguire
Stuart Bingham
Robbie Williams
Lyu Haotian

Two final frame deciders and a damn good effort by Mark Davis for a 147 (missed 12th black).

Bertie Wooster

Very happy with those scores. :)

Delighted for Jack, of course. And three of the four players that could, indirectly, cost Ben Mertens his 4th place on the one year list by pushing David Lilley out of the top 64 have gone. With just Jiang Jun to play tomorrow - he, though, would have to emulate Si Juahui from last year and reach the semi finals to leap up from where he is into the top 64.

Tomorrow, I'd love to see Neil Robertson and Jackson Page get through. Not too bothered about the others, apart from hoping to see Jiang Jun lose just for Ben Mertens benefit.

ChrisNelson

I can't bring myself to support anyone from Wales after the Euro 2016 video so I'm team Noppon in that one, although Jackson Page does seem a good lad, I went to the same pub as him in 2022 after he'd just been hammered 13-3 by Mark Williams and he was just a normal guy, nothing had gone to his head.

I'll also be supporting Neil Robertson for the same anti-Wales reason.

I'd also like to see Dave Gilbert qualify, he comes from just down the road from me. However other than his 2019 semi-final run his record at Sheffield is abysmal. He plays Xiao Guodong who is very close to him in the rankings.

Ryan Day is the highest ranked player in action today but in Scott Donaldson he has someone who should be a tough opponent but hasn't reached the levels he should have. His ranking event record is terrible and he's having a stinker of a season.

Gutted last night for Jenson Kendrick who needed to win to keep his tour card (and gain a new two-year one) as well as qualify for the Crucible for the first time. He was 7-6 up but lost four frames in a row to Lyu Haotian.

Bertie Wooster

Yeah, Scott Donaldson is a funny one.

He's always looked like he has a decent enough game to establish himself as a top 32 player. But then, maybe superficially, I've always thought he looks a bit 'weak' - just doesn't exude that kind of confidence or aura that you see with a lot of the top 16.

So I guess him establishing himself on the tour, but being somewhere between 20's and 50's rather than pushing the top 16, doesn't overly surprise me.

But for the Ben Mertens issue, I too would have liked to see Jenson Kendrick complete his attempt to stay on the tour. He put up a very good effort in these qualifiers, but obviously didn't do anywhere near enough prior to that. Interesting to see if he can take that form into Q School.

ChrisNelson

Incidentally, what was that video?
The one where my team, England lost to Iceland and the Wales team thought it appropriate to release a video of them celebrating like they'd won the competition.

I made a decision years ago that because the rest of the UK hate England, that feeling will be reciprocated at every opportunity :) .

Bertie Wooster

Ah, OK. Can't blame you for that.

I'm used to all the Home Nations being incredibly anti-English - always puzzles me how many English I hear that wants the others to win rather than respond to their hatred with the same. So can't disagree with you at all for doing so and I'm similar with their national teams - certainly don't 'want them to win' like I hear many do.

Just seems a quirk at the moment that a couple of the younger players I like are Welsh - Jackson Page and Liam Davies. The only other Welsh player I remember particularly liking over the years has been Matthew Stevens (though very glad to see him lose yesterday!)

Last edited:

Parma Dewol

World championships moving from the crucible after 2027
Has that been confirmed, and if so, do we know who might be hosting it?

While the Crucible is iconic as snooker's home, it'd be fascinating to see the World Championship hosted somewhere else. Gosh, how I'd love for it to be in China and for Ding to win it. Highly unlikely, but that would be a fairytale story.

ChrisNelson

A more likely alternative is for them to completely re-do the Crucible area.

There has been talk before of almost creating a Wimbledon type setup with a 'Centre Table' and a 'Number One Table'.

With the order of play arranged at the start of each day according to who is in action.

This would enable them to practically double the capacity and create somewhere suitable for the Qualifiers and seniors etc. as well.

Bertie Wooster

Money talks, and this has only been heading one way for quite a while. It's sadly a matter of when, not if, the sport becomes mostly Asian based and all / the main tournaments are held there. I'm hoping later, but there's a momentum building and it looks like it's going to be sooner.

Saudi Arabia have already 'bought' a 4th Major, and the talk of moving away from the Crucible keeps on building - and that's the hard part, once the history of it has been removed, then moving it to China or Saudi Arabia instead of other UK places will be the easy part.

ChrisNelson

Moving the WC abroad will kill snooker in the UK.

It's already finding itself in the shadow of darts amongst other things and this will be another huge blow.

The way things are going we may as well just move all sport to Saudi Arabia and not bother doing anything outside that country.

Will be interesting to see what ticket sales are like in that hotbed of snooker because no one from Europe will go for it.

Bertie Wooster

Heard the commentators mention, and read some discussion online, that Cao Yupeng may retire at the end of this season.

If he (or any other top 64) does, then with all those outside the top 64 now knocked out, that would presumably mean Julian Leclercq moves up from #65 and stays on tour that way instead? The positive of that being he gets to keep his current ranking points. The downside being its only a one year card instead of the two that he'd get from being one of the top 4 in the one year list (currently 2nd). That would also mean, I guess, that Ashley Hugill would move up from 5th to 4th on the one year list and get a new 2 year card that way?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Moving the WC abroad will kill snooker in the UK.

It's already finding itself in the shadow of darts amongst other things and this will be another huge blow.

The way things are going we may as well just move all sport to Saudi Arabia and not bother doing anything outside that country.

Will be interesting to see what ticket sales are like in that hotbed of snooker because no one from Europe will go for it.
Is the rumour it will go abroad?

It’s a weird one because yes, the Crucible isn’t the ideal venue in terms of numbers which obviously means less income but that’s not really the biggest thing surely? You can’t put a snooker table in the middle of Wembley and expect to fill it. The table as a focal point isn’t big enough. So why not make the crucible centre stage for the headline matches and find a number of other venues nearby in Sheffield to get as many bums on seats around every match table?

predator

Youth NITK
Neil Robertson out which is a shame because I love the way he plays the game. He just hasn't been anywhere near his former self over the past few years.

Bertie Wooster

Robbo losing is a disappointing way to end what's generally been a good qualifying section for me.

Pleased to see Lisowski and Page get through. And, as regards securing tour places, happy for Michael White, Ben Mertens and Julien Leclercq.

So overall, very satisfying. But a shame for it to end with one of the two players I most wanted to get there missing out in a final frame decider.

ChrisNelson

Tough 'reward' for Jackson Page...

First Round draw

Luca Brecel v David Gilbert
Robert Milkins v Pang Junxu
Ali Carter v Stephen Maguire
Shaun Murphy v Lyu Haotian
Mark Selby v Joe O'Connor
Kyren Wilson v Dominic Dale
John Higgins v Jamie Jones
Mark Allen v Robbie Williams
Judd Trump v Hossein Vafaei
Tom Ford v Ricky Walden
Zhang Anda v Jak Jones
Mark Williams v Si Jiahui
Ding Junhui v Jack Lisowski
Gary Wilson v Stuart Bingham
Barry Hawkins v Ryan Day
Ronnie O'Sullivan v Jackson Page

Bertie Wooster

Yeah, not a great draw for the players I'm looking out for - qualifiers Lisowski and Page got tough seeds in Ding Junhui and O'Sullivan; while Judd Trump drew as tough a qualifier as he could have got in Hossein Vafaei.

Presumably Neil Robertson would have been the same ball number as Jamie Jones had he won? If so, John Higgins v Neil Robertson would have been a juicy first round match!

ChrisNelson

Only one debutant this year - Joe O'Connor which is quite surprising but again shows you the ever increasing strength of the qualifying competition.

There are a few ties in there which wouldn't look out of place later in the draw.

Suspect there's some butterfly effect to think about with the ball that came out. If it had been Robertson they'd have spent another 20 minutes talking about how he's the strongest player to come through qualifying since God was a lad etc... and everything would have changed but there were lots of first round ties he could have got where he would have been favourite. He was unlucky to get such a tough draw in the final round of the Q's.

Zen

Of course Brecel gets Brecel'd in the first round of his defence...... or not. Don't write off the Brecel miracle comeback even countering a Brecel miracle comeback :lol:

predator

Youth NITK
Ive always liked Selby but have always found it irritating how so many people (fans, pundits, and even some players) categorise him as some anti snooker, borefest.

Give me a tense safety battle over a 147 any day. Gary Wilson and Zhou Yuelong final frame in the Scottish open for instance, is what seperates snooker with other cue sports. Don't get me wrong a 147 is ridiculous, hard to fathom, but in reality they are quite uncommon. Maybe because my highest break is circa 30 that I get so much excitement over safety battles. For me Selbys safety play at his pomp was the best I've ever seen. Excruciating for his opponents but amazing for me.

Ronnie was so vocal about how he dreaded playing Selby when really Mark knew exactly how to play against Ronnie and how to frustrate him. If Ronnie is frustrated, you might beat him. If he's content then no one can.

Ronnie's the goat and only has to be at 80% to be unplayable but he's not a pleasant individual. The way he speaks to some refs, his self professed lack of interest in the sport, when he loses that is, and which is absolute bollocks as he is a fanatic, plays it everyday, since he was too small to even reach the table, and wouldn't be where he is without it. Everyone knows he's the goat, everyone says it to him. Why does he have to pretend that he isn't that interested in the game? You dont get to that level of any game or sport without absolute dedication, before talent.

Selby on the other hand is viewed as boring and generally unlikeable due to his style but he is an absolute gentlemen in real life, based on people I know that have met him. Listen to most players talk of him behind the scenes and he's very different to the hard nosed person you see on the table. Just look at how Ronnie walks straight past fans outside the crucible yet Mark has time for all of them.

ChrisNelson

Joe O'Connor is an actual Mark Selby fan boy!

He's been in the crowd for three of Selby's title wins as a supporter and they're extremely close.

Must be really strange meeting effectively your hero in such a huge match.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Joe O'Connor is an actual Mark Selby fan boy!

He's been in the crowd for three of Selby's title wins as a supporter and they're extremely close.

Must be really strange meeting effectively your hero in such a huge match.
I feel Joe O'Connor will win a big event before long. Has a fantastic temperament !!

ChrisNelson

I feel Joe O'Connor will win a big event before long. Has a fantastic temperament !!
It's a very impressive Crucible debut. It will be interesting to see how he responds to losing the mini-session 3-1.

He knows how to battle for sure - the final frame of his last qualifying match against Matt Selt was the second longest in history at 110 minutes!

And only last month he reached the Final of the Championship League Winners Group, ironically losing to Selby 3-1.

Other than that his season has been pretty poor with lots of early exits but his run to the final of the Scottish Open last season has him a lot higher in the rankings than he would be otherwise.

G-manc

This used to a real sport for real athletes

Bill’s wikipedia states he had at least 6 pints before a game and drank one for each frame during the match, consuming between 40-50 pints a day - how is that possible?!

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Brecel surely threw that match? His play was shocking, some pathetic misses, stupid shot choices, hit an hopes, he played it like a right dickhead.

Wasn't even hiding that he was trying to lose. Painfully obvious.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I think it’s been a few pages since I’ve mentioned my utter distain for Shaun Murphy. The porcine cnut. What a pompous prick.

Wanker.