Redcafe Snooker

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
There’s no better watch in Snooker.

Especially when he’s sticking it to the porcine one.
I think they're both pillocks. Just fancied a close one.

EDIT - Well done, Ronnie. Blue Planet it is, then.

AndyJ1985

How Ronnie has never been nominated for sports personality of the year is ridiculous. Snooker is such a tough game and he's the best at it there's ever been.

Claymore

Must admit I thought Murphy would win after his impressive display last night. But Ronnie always seems to find something extra when he needs it (assuming e's in the right mood). It's not like Murphy has been bad, he's on 93% pot success after 14 frames. That would normally be enough to win a match...against anyone except Ronnie.

Can't help but wonder how many titles Ronnie would have won if he had this mentality throughout his 20's and early 30's. His natural talent is just ridiculous

His mental demons was always his issue, then Higgins the grinder safety player and now Selby the grinder version2. Selby has beaten Ronnie in a good few finals, (masters aside). Ronnie needs to deal with people who deliberitely slow the game dowm, Higgins, Selby and the infamous Peter Ebdon clock watch match.

DOTA

How Ronnie has never been nominated for sports personality of the year is ridiculous. Snooker is such a tough game and he's the best at it there's ever been.
Key word.

Claymore

On 'personality' Ronnie is head an shoulders above most sportsmen of any sport, any time, he's a Nazeem Hamed, a McEnroe, Cantona, But that award is not personality, on sporting ability he is up there with Tiger Wards, Pete Sampras, Federer, Ronaldo, Messi, Phil Taylor, Tyson Fury, Tyson, Nazeem Hamed, Ali whoever you want to list. Steve Davis said the same, and tonight he's just equalled his wins of 6 UK titles.

Micahel Owen won this award LOL, mr monotone. Speaking of Michael bloody Owen, doesn't Shaun fatty Murphy sound half like him, he's the exact same version but for snooker, so boring when he talks, and whats worse, they stuck him on the BBC.

DOTA

Ronnie has as much of a personality as anyone who has ever won that award. Giggs won it ffs and he's dull as dishwater.
And dull is preferable to Ronnie, I'm afraid. He is a tedious twat.

AndyJ1985

And dull is preferable to Ronnie, I'm afraid. He is a tedious twat.
That's your opinion, which is irrelevant. Going by the actual criteria needed to win the award Ronnie is as deserving as anyone who has ever won it. To not even get nominated is simply absurd. Hendry is right when he says the panel are biased against snooker.

DOTA

That's your opinion, which is irrelevant. Going by the actual criteria needed to win the award Ronnie is as deserving as anyone who has ever won it. To not even get nominated is simply absurd. Hendry is right when he says the panel are biased against snooker.
I'm arguing it is the opinion of the general public. Which is why he never wins these things.

Davis won it by being good at snooker and having a boring but tolerable personality.

Giggsy92

Considering the shortlist for SPOTY has nothing to do with personality and everything to do with achievements it is pretty ridiculous that Ronnie (or Selby for that matter) has never even been nominated. You'd think with the BBC still showing all the triple crown events live they'd make a bigger deal out of it.

Thought Murphy was the favourite going into tonight but that was brilliant from O'Sullivan, bit disappointed it was over so quickly but always a pleasure to see him playing like that.

Dion

[QUOTE="DiseaseOfTheAge, post: 21831688, member: 66957"]I'm arguing it is the opinion of the general public. Which is why he never wins these things.

Davis won it by being good at snooker and having a boring but tolerable personality.[/QUOTE]

It's chosen by a panel, so nah, you're not.

He's as good at his sport as anyone has even been at any sport. He's as talented as any sportsman even and he's woefully underappreciated.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Maybe it's Ronnie's never-ending obsession with shitting on Snooker in general that's prevented him from being nominated. His "don't really like snooker" attitude is frustrating as feck, considering he's the greatest player to ever hold a cue.

Dion

He regularly says he loves snooker and he loves competing and he plays purely because he enjoys playing.

ChrisNelson

No rest for the players - straight on to the Scottish Open starting today!
Flat 128 draw and up to and including the last 16 (round 4) it's best of 7 frames so expect some shocks.

Claymore

His "don't really like snooker" attitude is frustrating as feck, considering he's the greatest player to ever hold a cue.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Love that line.

Amazing isn't it, one minute he loves the game, just enjoying it, next he hates the game. He has his gripes and moans about snooker yet as you say, is the best ever to pick up a cue, its crazy. I just find it amazing how at 42 most players gave up putting in the hours on the practice table and lost interest, Hendry was well done and dusted in his 30's and Davis had the odd crack at a tournament at 50 but was not really any good. Mark Williams is 42 and wins an odd thing or makes semis sometimes but is way off what Ronnie is doing.

No one else can take a year off, come back and win the big one, play with a broken foot in his socks or stop the ref and cause a scene about what the high break prize is after potting the first red then go on and do it just like that. If he wants to he beats anyone on the day, if he's up for it and the only people who can even get clost to him are the ones who slow the game right down to rattle him, Ebdon, Higgins, Selby, all of which are boring to watch by comparison and still not as successful, even John Higgins with all his loot of silverware.

When people look back once he's retired, I doubt many will be arguing about how he didn't win some silly BBC tv 'award'. I think if the panel did select him as one of the ones then Ronnie with his popularity would certainly get a phone network load of calls. Diseaseoftheage would probably make 1000 texts alone.

ChrisNelson

Hawkins out in round 1 at the Scottish Open yesterday. Some interesting matches this evening including Jimmy White vs. Sunny Akani (him of the epic match vs. Ronnie in York last week), Anthony McGill vs. Ryan Day and Mark Allen vs. Ben Woollaston. All 3 matches well worthy of being much later in the tournament than round 1.

spwd

Absolutely pathetic that hes never been up for the award imo, just wondering, has Phil Taylor been anywhere near it or Dougie Lampkin?

Skills

Snitch
Absolutely pathetic that hes never been up for the award imo, just wondering, has Phil Taylor been anywhere near it or Dougie Lampkin?
I cant think of a year he should've won it anyway. Not a big miss.

sallycinnamin

Taylor a runner up in 2010, think A.P Mc Coy won it and can remember Ian Poulter being very irate about it.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Fair enough but to be honest, I'm not sure what personalities of vast majority of players might even be. I don't watch interviews and similar segments, so almost all my impressions came from the table.

And occasional newspaper article.

It's so very easier to spot a cnut on football field. :cool:

ChrisNelson

Last 32 and Last 16 both played today in Glasgow, highlights in the early matches are Michael White v Kyren Wilson, Ding v McLeod, Bingtao v Maguire (tie of the round) and Holt v Trump.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Heartbreaking black for Cao Yupeng. Doubt he has now a chance in the decider, looks like a nervous wreck.

(now he'll clear the table in one visit)

Giggsy92

Got to feel for Cao Yupeng, 8-4 up and then completely collapsed... That match ball on the black that Joe Johnson thought was in (and a few other misses) will haunt him for a long time.

spwd

Brilliant final, feel sorry for Cao and nice words from Robertson too, i was so stressed watching it, god knows how he felt.

Vilev

I just finished watching the final. That was epic! I was pro-Robertson, he is my favorite player together with Ronnie. but i have to say, i really feel for Cao. The way he played in the first half was just great. And then Robertson was not at his best actually, just one century in 17 frames, really? But of course nothing can substitute the experience.

ChrisNelson

Masters 2018 draw (in bracket order).

O'Sullivan vs. Fu
Allen 6-3 Brecel

Higgins vs. McGill
Ding 4-6 Day

Trump 6-4 Liang
Murphy vs. Carter

Hawkins vs. Wilson
Selby 5-6 Williams

Tuesday matches - O'Sullivan vs. Fu (1pm), Hawkins vs. Wilson (7pm).

Last edited:

ChrisNelson

Absolutely brutal from Ronald. Fu seems to have got worse as the season has gone on. Don't think he will have it quite as easy in round 2 but a semi-final against Higgins would be tasty. Updated bracket:

O'Sullivan 6-0 Fu
Allen 6-3 Brecel

Higgins vs. McGill
Ding 4-6 Day

Trump 6-4 Liang
Murphy 6-4 Carter

Hawkins 4-6 Wilson
Selby 5-6 Williams

Last edited:

sallycinnamin

Unbelievable snooker from Ronnie each time he plays the BBC must have some alternative programmes at the ready this was scheduled to finish around 5p.m, he was getting interviewed before 3p.m. When he plays like that just a joy to watch.

Giggsy92

From 6-0 against Fu to (potentially) 1-6 against Allen... Don't think anyone saw that coming.

ChrisNelson

Yes that's a crazy turnaround all things considered. I'm happy enough though, I don't mind Mark Allen and can take or leave Ronnie and his sometimes ungrateful attitude towards the game that has made him millions.
Wilson v Williams should be a good match tonight, quite evenly matched if they play to their potential.