Reece James

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I first noticed him last season when watching the reserves. Was watching to see what the hype was on the likes of Wilson, Pearson, Rothwell, Varela, Janko, Pereira etc, but this guy stood out in that he looked so calm and composed. Rarely made a mistake and always seemed to pick the right option. Very excited to see how he does on the rest of the tour and if he gets a chance against better opposition.
Very impressed with him. His finishes were excellent not rushed at all despite the ball coming to him quickly both goals. I was impressed, he had a better game than Shaw, don't think anyone can deny that so it'll be interesting to see how Van Gaal manages this situation. We can't go overboard though, Buttner had a terrific debut, but it's promising! Always enjoy watching our youngsters step up their games.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Never seen him have a bad game. Two good finishes. There will be far greater tests though

jason93

Could he be converted into a LM? I realize he could give Shaw some competition but for 30m, you have to figure that they'll work with Shaw more. So I see James' chances being limited unfortunately.

He looked very very good last night. Could be our next 'Superstar' if he hopefully keeps it up.

NoWinNoFee

kietotheworld mk2
Could he be converted into a LM? I realize he could give Shaw some competition but for 30m, you have to figure that they'll work with Shaw more. So I see James' chances being limited unfortunately.

He looked very very good last night. Could be our next 'Superstar' if he hopefully keeps it up.
Long as we've got some defensive cover at LB if Shaw gets injured or doesn't perform I don't care where he plays, I knew about Tyler Blackett but Reece James as come of surprise to me, i didn't really know too much about him.

Would be great though if we didn't have to sign someone there because of Blackett and James.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv

He has played Left Back, Left Mid and Centre Mid before tonight. A shorter Blind in a sense. He has been incredibly consistent at left back and that predictability in terms of performance level is a huge plus for him. It may mess with that to start repositioning him but he seems an intelligent enough player to be able to deal with it.

He could end up being a fantastic asset if he is given the chance

jason93

Long as we've got some defensive cover at LB if Shaw gets injured or doesn't perform I don't care where he plays, I knew about Tyler Blackett but Reece James as come of surprise to me, i didn't really know too much about him.

Would be great though if we didn't have to sign someone there because of Blackett and James.
Don't forget we have Vermijl, Varela and Janko aswell. Who all look to be class players. I'm surprised he took Blackett and James as I haven't heard too much about them.

jason93

He has played Left Back, Left Mid and Centre Mid before tonight. A shorter Blind in a sense.
We're calling out for a quality winger. Hopefully LVG takes his attacking sense into consideration.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
I just realized that he's actually 2 years older than Shaw.
Yup, James was actually released by Preston when he was just a few months younger than Shaw is now, which really puts his development over the last couple of seasons in perspective.

It will be interesting to see how he does against proper opposition. I doubt he's ready to be our back-up LB but I'd love to be proven wrong.

mufcwarm92

Anyone else see he asked for Donovan's shirt and didn't give his one back - 'it's my debut'. Cheeky bastard.

In Rainbows

Don't forget we have Vermijl, Varela and Janko aswell. Who all look to be class players. I'm surprised he took Blackett and James as I haven't heard too much about them.
I didn't see the point of Blackett. He's not better than James or Shaw and him filling in for a cb is pointless. Thorpe would have been the better pick. I actually rate him higher than Keane, but injuries messed up his loan last season. His distribution is top notch and so is his defending.

Ekeke

I thought he looked decent last season in CM, nothing fancy but decent technique and could keep the ball and pass it around. When they moved him to leftback I wasn't too sure about him but last night as a wingback he did everything you'd want from a player in the role. So good signs from him

LR7

I thought he looked decent last season in CM, nothing fancy but decent technique and could keep the ball and pass it around. When they moved him to leftback I wasn't too sure about him but last night as a wingback he did everything you'd want from a player in the role. So good signs from him
Agree with this. I thought he looked good in CM for the reserves last season. Solid and slightly unspectacular but consistently very good.

It be nice if he could be back up to Shaw so it'll be interesting to see how he gets on during the rest of preseason.

LARulz

So can this guy play in any other position other than at left back/left wing back? Can he play as a centre back, winger or even a back up midfielder if times call for it?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
So can this guy play in any other position other than at left back/left wing back? Can he play as a centre back, winger or even a back up midfielder if times call for it?
Yeah, in my view he maybe even looks better as a CM than at LB.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I found it interesting that he looked like he was telling Donovan he couldn't exchange kits, right after Donovan had taken his off. House rules by Van Gaal?

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I won't pretend to know anything about him or how good he is in his position, but those two finishes were worthy of a veteran striker, so composed.

Ekeke

A few notes. On his second goal he really starts the move with a nice flick that doesn't seem to be caught in the replays and highlights. Someone plays it into James from a deeper position than he is and he flicks the ball around the corner to Ander in space. He runs with the ball and plays Young in, the ball rebounds off the keeper straight to James and he turns it in. So nice from James to create the space in that move as well as get on the end of it.

While as I said earlier, I wasn't sure of him at LB for the reserves and was more impressed when he played CM, he did put in some nice crosses from LB. So while we didn't get a chance to see any real delivery from him last night he's definitely capable of picking teammates out

Acole9

Outstanding
What a start for him, two goals and he's a left back. They'll be bigger tests to come for sure though.

Brightonian

Aye. Team him up with Tom Lawrence, Adnan and Andreas Pereira and we got ourselves our very own One Direction. Ben Pearson can play the Harry Styles role with his mop head.
Genuinely makes me slightly nauseous to see Ben Pearson and Harry Styles in the same sentence. Although it helps to imagine the latter being on the end of a characteristic Pearson sliding tackle.

Loublaze

ATLien
Ive been hearing a lot about Reece lately. Blackett played the preseason tour two seasons ago.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Does anyone know how many goals James had for the Reserves last season?

edit: Nevermind, he's never scored! I couldn't remember him ever scoring.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
So we really shouldn't be expecting him to get to many more goals for us then :lol: great time to start scoring at least for him