Reece James

NK86

'preseason' the key word(s) there. And Shaw's not fit, evidently.
Shaw is not fit enough for the 3-5-2 which LvG is trying to use and thus he has been given an individual training regime. But you have to admire James for adapting faster than Shaw. I am not saying that James is better than Shaw but credit where it's due. He has looked the better of the two currently. Also he should make an excellent cover for the LWB position to Shaw this coming season.

NMF

Van Gaal seems to have taken a liking to James, wouldn't be surprised to see him promoted to the first team.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Re Van Gaal's comments, he's not saying "normally" as in he thinks James is ahead of Shaw in the pecking order. He's saying he would have started James because Shaw had been doing all the extra fitness work and probably could have done without the game.

He's obviously caught the eye with that brace of goals, which will have helped his chances but I think it's very premature to talk about him as a first team player.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
If anyone hears how long he might be out do share.

Van Gaal certainly strikes me as the sort who would put James ahead of Shaw without a second's hesitation based on who trains better.

So early in the evaluation process players' form during that time will influence things, if James comes out hot and Shaw is cold I think James would start even if LVG agreed Shaw was the better player all things being equal (in retrospect).

Can't see him being the sort of 'Play Rooney back into form' manager.

Last edited:

Gerald G

I really hope James is part of the first team squad next season. He's been ever so consistent for our U21 side. But I didn't expect him to get this chance. Then again it's very early days.

I'd be delighted if he performs well and is kept as part of the first team. It would also mean we don't have to sign another left-back.

Brightonian

Van Gaal is definitely the sort of manager who will have no qualms about having Shaw and James as his options at LB (or LWB or whatever) going into the season if their performances continue to improve. His comments about a 16-year-old Seedorf when he was asked about experience in his first presser with us confirm the evidence from his career that he basically ignores a player's age and experience and judges them purely on their performances.

So where some on here might say 'Shaw and James both look decent, but we can't risk relying on two such inexperienced players when it comes to the season proper', Van Gaal will, I expect, just think 'Shaw and James have been good... so they can be my LBs.'

I hope so, anyway. It's what he's always done in the past.

Ibi Dreams

Van Gaal is definitely the sort of manager who will have no qualms about having Shaw and James as his options at LB (or LWB or whatever) going into the season if their performances continue to improve. His comments about a 16-year-old Seedorf when he was asked about experience in his first presser with us confirm the evidence from his career that he basically ignores a player's age and experience and judges them purely on their performances.

So where some on here might say 'Shaw and James both look decent, but we can't risk relying on two such inexperienced players when it comes to the season proper', Van Gaal will, I expect, just think 'Shaw and James have been good... so they can be my LBs.'

I hope so, anyway. It's what he's always done in the past.
You can't win anything with kids though

NMF

and to think the club paid money for Buttner...
I'll never understand that signing. Our own scouts said he wasn't even in the top 3 Lb's in the Dutch league.

Y2A

Lets be a little realistic here. Its only pre season and the LVG comments are in relation to Shaw's fitness. Reece James has surely done very well so far in pre season. But lets also take into consideration that he has never scored a goal before this and that he wasn't that highly rated before the Pre season. I am just trying to be realistic. Lets wait a bit before passing any judgement. However, he has looked so far. Wonder why he hasn't been foccused on before the pre season?

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Lets be a little realistic here. Its only pre season and the LVG comments are in relation to Shaw's fitness. Reece James has surely done very well so far in pre season. But lets also take into consideration that he has never scored a goal before this and that he wasn't that highly rated before the Pre season. I am just trying to be realistic. Lets wait a bit before passing any judgement. However, he has looked so far. Wonder why he hasn't been foccused on before the pre season?
Depends on who you speak to though isn't it ? I certainly had a high opinion of him after last season and I think he showed he was ready to be at least an able back up. I would of rather seen him in instead of Buttner most times as well. Given the trust shown in him and the fact that he is on tour, it shows that a few at United feel around about the same at this point.

Sid234

There were so many here who thought James was one of our most improved and consistent players last season. He was on most shortlists of youth players posters here felt should go on tour.

I'd agree if you say not many expected him make much of an impact when we signed him after he was released from Preston in 2012. But he's come on leaps and bounds in the last year, was easily among our best players last season..

Not sure if it's already beeb posted but a good read up on James and how highly Joyce rates him.
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...ofile-manchester-united-starlet-reece-7516068

Last edited:

Sid234

Found this when I was looking into Reece James' time at preston! Couldnn't resist posting it..

Discussion on whether releasing James was a good idea, 4th paragraph of the post.
:lol:

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Yeah, my only worry was how he'd handle the physical side of it but it doesn't seem to have troubled him all that much. I think he's a very clever player and has great technique and agility. I'd love to see him make it with us.

FromTheBench

Seems he didn't take part in the full session again.

Bad/really unlucky time for him to pick up a knock really.

FromTheBench

Looked good today again and had couple of real crucial moments in defence.

Lacking in attacking nous for this type of game as Feghouli tracks him totally but that is unsurprising as LWB is a new position for him compared to LB especially against a bunkering sort of team.

Dion

Doesn't look capable of beating my nana 1v1 (or getting a cross past her), but he is very tidy.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Not ready yet against strong oppositions but FA Cup or Capital One should give him more games.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Yep, he rarely looses the ball, but doesn't do much with it either, his movement is great but he isn't the quickest player on the pitch.

FromTheBench

He is a LB. Not a LWb for games where teams bunker.

But thought he looked good still. Defensively particularly had couple of crucial moments first half and shut Feghouli down taking him the other way.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Be good to have him in the squad, but if Rojo is signed, it seems even less likely he would get games.

Oo0AahCantona

Simply does not contribute offensively. unable to beat a man, never has the confidence to press forward and try to make something happen.

Devil may care

Definitely didn't offer anything going forward which is pretty crucial in this system as the position is more of an attacking one than a defensive one.

FromTheBench

Simply does not contribute offensively. unable to beat a man, never has the confidence to press forward and try to make something happen.
Shaw did look exactly the same for his first few games when teams sat deep.

I think that transition form playing LB to LWB in this system attacking wise takes time.

Be good to have him in the squad, but if Rojo is signed, it seems even less likely he would get games.
I very much doubt we'd play Rojo as a Wingback.

He'll be LCB. (Blackett's role today.)

The Red Thinker

Was far too conservative in his forward play today. I can easily see Luke Shaw hold down that place for a good decade.

Anderson18

He is a good option to have. Not great going forward but very solid all around. Better than spending way too much money on Blind.

kundalini

Lack of penetration a concern especially given the number of opportunities he had to get a decent cross in. I thought he played ok but very reliant on others to open up space for him. Against teams that sit deep at Old Trafford, you are really hoping for a bit more quality from the wide players. At the moment I'd be thinking League Cup, perhaps FA cup, see how he does. Not really enough evidence to go on due to his unfortunate injury during the tour.