Reece James

FromTheBench

I'd actually say even Shaw would struggle in today's type of game going forward though he'd have more paceful bursts from deep.

It was more a Young on the left and another more attacking option on the Right type game.

James should good technical attributes today and good positioning as well in crucial instances.

Mani

He can do better than this,its all about valuable match time he gets in the coming season.
And signing Rojo certainty not going to affect his chances as Rojo would be playing in LCB.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
Had a good game defensively and a poor one offensively but I don't know why he's being written off already.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I thought he had a good game. Didn't click for him going forward but never looked out of place at all.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
They got a lot of joy down our left so don't think he defended very well at all. Early days, obviously, but would be amazed if he ended up a first team regular. Will go down as one of many youngsters who briefly created a buzz in pre-season then were soon forgot about. Hope he still has a decent PL career though. Might be good enough to add to our long list of PL alumni.

Sid234

He's a more Gary Neville type of fullback, rather than a Eva type.. Much better defending than attacking and he'd be a great asset to have in the squad especially if we were to switch to a 4-3-3 and Shaw is injured..

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Young player settling into first team shocker!

He scored two goals v LA Galaxy but doesn't get forward enough??

He has just returned from injury and was playing in place of Shaw who had a knock. Nobody on here knows what instructions LvG gave him yet expect him to be some sort of flying winger.

Clueless!

m1y2

Shaw did look exactly the same for his first few games when teams sat deep.

I think that transition form playing LB to LWB in this system attacking wise takes time.

I very much doubt we'd play Rojo as a Wingback.

He'll be LCB. (Blackett's role today.)
exactly. I think he will improve massively. He doesn't look as talented as Shaw but it is pretty obvious this guy works extremely hard and look where those players are ie welbeck, fletcher.
It is a bit too harsh to on him here after ydays match. I think he looked along with herrera the fittest player in our side, played rather safer but they just sat back a lot and didn't james space to break even tho he made some good runs won some corners and had one brilliant cross from what I remember and it is the number wht Rafael has got sometimes.. he cut inside well and was unlucky his shot was blocked. Didn't look like the stepover is his trick but good courage in kid. I think as he gaines some confidence he will be good rotation option with Shaw. He showed he can defend and has some sort of vision to offer a little bit more than hugging the line particlary due to his earlier career as CM.

He has a space to improve mainly going forward but I think he can make it even Rojo comes in who can rotate with Blackett/Evans on CB and from time to time or if we are in trouble with injuries play as LWB. He would be the best central defender going forward in our team IMO..

m1y2

how good was seamus coleman in his 09/10 season when he was the same age as our James? I think he didn't even play in Premier League. Looks like his real breakthrough season come just under Martinez. If LVG can spot the talent and give a good developement to some of our kids ie Blackett and Reece James I wouldn't be surprised they made it here. James has got the determnation of first team player thats what I liked a lot when I watched him for the reserves last year. Always looked to win the ball, full of energy. If Blind played yesterday he would be wastefull going forward as he is three times slower and can't beat a man for sure.

MPTutd

I am sorry, but Reece James is nowhere near good enough for the first team. I watched a lot of the reserve team games last season and thought it then. He may make a career in the lower leagues, but not in the PL.

So slow its painful.

Conrad

Some pretty rash verdicts reached after just one pretty conservative game. He looked a bit overawed to me and seemed to mainly just want to play the safe pass which is fairly understandable for his first game at Old Trafford. Also, both he and Young were often picking the ball up pretty deep with both their opposite winger and fullback in position to defend so not sure you can really blame them for not backing themselves to beat two men probably needed to find them more often when they'd advanced up the pitch a bit. I'd give him a bit more time before making any final judgements on his attacking capabilities at wing back especially with the run he pulled off in the second half.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
how good was seamus coleman in his 09/10 season when he was the same age as our James? I think he didn't even play in Premier League. Looks like his real breakthrough season come just under Martinez. If LVG can spot the talent and give a good developement to some of our kids ie Blackett and Reece James I wouldn't be surprised they made it here. James has got the determnation of first team player thats what I liked a lot when I watched him for the reserves last year. Always looked to win the ball, full of energy. If Blind played yesterday he would be wastefull going forward as he is three times slower and can't beat a man for sure.
My mate is an Evertonion and was raving about Coleman under Moyes!

Juan't Mata

Perfectly happy for Reece to be our third choice LWB for the season. Wouldn't be worried if he starts on Saturday either. Tidy and composed if a little timid going forward last night.

Thisistheone

Annoying that Shaw is out but on the positive side this is a great chance for Reece. Interesting to see if he takes full advantage.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I didn't actually see him against Valencia but is it all that surprising that a young 2nd/3rd choice? (if Rojo joins) LB who's just coming back from injury and is playing in his first game at Old Trafford doesn't slalom past defenders for fun and slot it in the top corner?

The lad has played left wing a few times for the reserves and, although not a natural there by any stretch, generally acquitted himself well. He's also hard working so I wouldn't have any worries about him starting for us as he'll only get better the more he plays.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
He's not the sort of player you give the ball to out wide and ask him to beat his man.

It's early days but personally I think, so far, the attackers have looked better as wing backs than the full backs.

As Rafael had been injured and Shaw nothing special so far, that's not saying all that much though.

Fine for cover, imo.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I'm not really seeing all the hate. I only saw the second half so maybe he was awful in the first but he wasn't too bad in the second. He made that burst into the middle when his shot got blocked and he got up for a few crosses which unfortunately didn't connect. All of our wingbacks haven't been taking on defenders and flying up the line getting crosses in. He is good on the ball and is comfortable in keeping possession and getting the ball into the middle to the likes of Ander and Mata.

Juan't Mata

Big chance for him to stake his claim to be a senior player at the club. He can't say he was never given an opportunity anyway.

FromTheBench

He's a Left back.Not a wingback.

Had to cut back every time or put in a weak cross when we had some momentum that side. I like his technique and control on his left foot though.

justboy68

Not sure I saw him use his right foot once tonight. Really don't like it when professional footballers show such a reluctance to use one of their two feet, but he's just an academy kid at the end of the day.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
He's miles better than whoever Preston has in his position.He's not a wing back though.
I can't say I agree. Don't get caught up in the fact he scored two in the Galaxy game. What else has he done? He was a huge culprit of our losing today.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He can't take on a player (or doesn't seem to have the confidence to) that seems to be his limitation. He actually has very good touch and technique and is a competent defender too

khoazany

I can't say I agree. Don't get caught up in the fact he scored two in the Galaxy game. What else has he done? He was a huge culprit of our losing today.
I've watched him for more than two years and his strength are his consistency,passing,neat technique and solidity on defence.Quite intelligent player as well.He's not a bloody wing back who beat players for fun.3-5-2 never suit him.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
I've watched him for more than two years and his strength are his consistency,passing,neat technique and solidity on defence.He's not a bloody wing back who beat players for fun.3-5-2 never suit him.
So then he can't play here...Because we're going to play 3-4-1-2 no matter what. I know he's a consistent player, I've also followed him in the reserves. He was not defensively solid so far in the 1st team and is a complete liability with the ball.

LR7

Could do a job for us in DM. That is where his best performances for the U21s have come imo. Not sure he's creative enough at fullback/wingback.

He was nothing special tonight but doesn't deserve criticism.

kundalini

James put in a decent cross towards the end which is encouraging because both in this match and the Valencia game he had wasted numerous opportunities to get in a dangerous cross. After his early performances on tour I must admit I thought he was likely to emerge as a reasonable back-up to Shaw but I suspect we won't see much of him at first team level this season. Careless error cost us their 3rd goal today and until that late cross, his performance had been disappointing, too many errors, not enough quality in the final third.

Scrumpet

There are no words
Not sure I saw him use his right foot once tonight. Really don't like it when professional footballers show such a reluctance to use one of their two feet, but he's just an academy kid at the end of the day.
I saw him cut in on his right again and again. Too much, thought I was watching Young for a while.

Anyway, didn't have a good game but I do like him.

justboy68

I saw him cut in on his right again and again. Too much, thought I was watching Young for a while.

Anyway, didn't have a good game but I do like him.
Yeah I could be wrong to be fair I spent most of the game wincing, I think it was more the cutting in and lack of taking on his man that made me just imagine I was seeing a Valencia clone out there. Still I don't mean to be critical of him, young lad playing out of position from what I hear. Don't think he looked like a potential first team backup though.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
As I said in the match thread, he is just too slow to be a wing back.

Couldn't beat one player tonight it seems. Needs to bulk up because there's no way he can just become speedy over night. Was muscled off the ball way too easy.

Think it's best if he's sent out on loan.

In Rainbows

Way too slow for a wingback. He was at fault for a goal too. I think he should go on loan as well.