Refs & VAR 2020/2021 Discussion

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Am I crazy to think that the Sheff Utd goal gets look at more thoroughly/has a great chance of being disallowed if De Gea makes a bigger song and dance about it / gets right in the refs face?

In the same way I honestly think we might not have got that penalty vs. Brighton if our players hadn't gone mental about the handball.
You are not crazy. To tell you the truth I didn't really notice that push on De Gea until half time when the guys in the studio brought it up. I really didn't pay much attention at the time, I was busy being hopping mad that we could actually concede a goal fekkings Sheffield United :lol:

If De Gea went ape shit crazy instead of standing there like a bemused llama, the VAR ref might have paid more attention, I know I would.

arnie_ni

Am I crazy to think that the Sheff Utd goal gets look at more thoroughly/has a great chance of being disallowed if De Gea makes a bigger song and dance about it / gets right in the refs face?

In the same way I honestly think we might not have got that penalty vs. Brighton if our players hadn't gone mental about the handball.
Well didn't he do that against Everton last year and it didn't get over turned, but then he did against Liverpool and it was?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Well didn't he do that against Everton last year and it didn't get over turned, but then he did against Liverpool and it was?
If I recall he didn't go that mental about the Everton one (maybe because he was on the floor milking it?) - not like he did with the Liverpool one anyway (though that one was clear as day)

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Its a fecking joke that a clear and obvious foul like that isn't called but then our goal is disallowed, with VAR to look at it (same with Maguire header the other week), only to then have them admit a few days later with the exact same camera angles and replays that the decisions were wrong. A goal for us chalked off, an incorrect goal allowed for them. Thats ridiculous!

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus

Absolutely not. His pitiful shrug of the shoulders was so annoying.

What's the worst case scenario if he gives shit to the ref? A yellow card, that's it.

Best case scenario is you put doubt in their mind and the goal isn't given which changes the entire game.

arnie_ni

There should be zero scenario with var where any decision is wrong.

That's the issue imo. Every decision should be correct

UncleBob

If I recall he didn't go that mental about the Everton one (maybe because he was on the floor milking it?) - not like he did with the Liverpool one anyway (though that one was clear as day)
Milking it?

The one against Everton was a blatantly clear free kick.

No surprise that the VAR that day is the same referee that didn't give a freekick to De Gea when VVD jumped into him, only for it to be overturned by VAR.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Milking it?

The one against Everton was a blatantly clear free kick.

No surprise that the VAR that day is the same referee that didn't give a freekick to De Gea when VVD jumped into him, only for it to be overturned by VAR.
Oh it was a blatant foul, but you can still (and often should) milk contact for blatant fouls.

I misremembered it to be fair- he actually just didn't do anything apart from wave his arms a bit - probably could have done with going down holding his face if he wasn't going to get into the refs.

ShinjiNinja26

It’s getting beyond a joke now, these feckers need to be held to account. VAR was brought in to end all the controversy and get the decisions right but it’s currently doing anything but. That said it’s not the technology that’s the problem it’s the people operating it, the standard of refereeing in the PL is a disgrace considering it’s supposed to be the biggest league in the world. They need to mic up these refs or something so we can understand how their coming to these decisions in real time, for far too long they’ve been making mistakes and getting away with it. These errors have serious consequences for clubs and may be the difference in a club winning the league or not or even worse potentially being relegated.

Jonno

It's quite funny that Man United have this reputation of getting referee decisions, yet we get just as many bad decisions as everyone else.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
It's quite funny that Man United have this reputation of getting referee decisions, yet we get just as many bad decisions as everyone else.
It's always been the case. Back in Fergie's day, we used to win regardless of decisions that goes against us.

Best example was 07/08, Arsenal at Old Trafford. Adebayor scored a clear handball. 0-1. Ronaldo then scored a pk, our players didn't make song and dance after that equaliser and hurried back to the centre circle to try and get a winner. Hargreaves then scored that sick free kick and we win.

Zero to little was mentioned about Adebayor's handball goal.

Another one, 02/03 at Highbury. Henry scored an offside goal. Ruud equalised after skinning Sol Campbell. We got a priceless away draw against our title rivals. We win the league. Little mention of Henry scoring an offside goal.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

I'd forgotten the ref had blown his whistle too early on that call too. Just ugh.

SER19

Actually scandalous. Real blight on a great half. Still reeling from last week and to see that is just sickening

Jurgens world

Godfather

I know we are 4-0 ahead but you know what? VAR can do one. It's ruining football. If they can't even pause the fecking replay at the right moment what is the fecking purpose of this piece of crap?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Klopp and Jose's words have had their effect.
We're not even getting actual pens now.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Why didn't ref play the advantage for the penalty? It fell nicely for Greenwood.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I don't understand why the VAR official doesn't just tell the on field official to check the monitor. Instead a correct decision gets overruled. Bizarre. Klopp and Mourinho's moaning really has got into their heads

cyberman

I know we are 4-0 ahead but you know what? VAR can do one. It's ruining football. If they can't even pause the fecking replay at the right moment what is the fecking purpose of this piece of crap?
Its not VAR. The ref should let it run on and it clearly shows its a pen anyway.
I have no idea how we trusted these refs pre VAR days. Ref not seeing it etc covered up a lot of feck ups

Godfather

Why didn't ref play the advantage for the penalty? It fell nicely for Greenwood.
It was a trainwreck of refereeing decisions. No advantage played and then a clear pen overruled. And those two whingey cnuts Klopp and Mou had the audacity to complain about our decisions...

dove

Pure incompetence as usual and not only from VAR. Dean should have played a clear advantage to us and the less said about VAR frauds the better. The bar must be extremely low to to get a job as a referee nowadays if they can't even make a right decision seeing replay from 10 angles.

NinjaFletch

I'm more annoyed by the lack of advantage than I am the decision that that's outside the box tbh.

Jericho

The amount of times they won't blow the whistle when someone is clearly offside, and tonight this clown blows the whistle immediately when the advantage was clearly on.

pablo__p

Unfathomable how incompetent VAR crew is. That's beyond a joke. I don't care it's 4 nil, do your fecking job.

Also, not letting the action run is just shocking. Had it been a 20m offside he wouldn't whistle until after the action.