Refs & VAR 2020/2021 Discussion

Castia

Shocking that

Minutes earlier Rashford gets wiped out on the edge of the box and the game just carries on.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Because he was told he’d made the wrong decision. That’s when they’re sent to view it.
As soon as he went over to the screen it was obvious he was going to rule out the goal. I still can't believe it though.

Strats

Put microphones on the refs so they can't hide anymore. The referees including those who monitor VAR are spineless.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I thought there was like a 5 second rule that if something happens that long before the goal it's not reviewed? Whatever McTominay is deemed to have done had no impact on that goal

Stan Jefferson

Var is brilliant, now we get to wait an age for the incorrect desicion to be made instead of it happening in real time. None of that pesky excitement in the game and just as many shit calls as before. A resounding success.

JG3001

I’ve been a strong supporter of VAR for a long time, but I think the refs have proven they aren’t competent enough to implement it, so I say get rid. They get it blatantly wrong far too often.

acnumber9

What constitutes a phase of play? Because McTominay didn’t score the goal, or assist it, or play the pass to the player who did assist it.

Idxomer

They punished McTominay for his physique.

Both stretched their arm, one caught the shirt and the other a small part of the face.

There was absolutely no intent from Scott and the result was only due to the difference of height.

SER19

Shocking that

Minutes earlier Rashford gets wiped out on the edge of the box and the game just carries on.
Why is the ref not brought pitch side to watch it? Or judge if pogba gets red for aurier challenge? It's an absolute mess

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Left a very sour taste that one. Son should be ashamed for staying down for that long

Manny

Grammar Police
In before someone gets the rule book out says the VAR call was perfect.

Just get rid of this shite

SER19

They punished McTominay for his physique.

Both stretched their arm, one caught the shirt and the other a small part of the face.

There was absolutely no intent from Scott and the result was only due to the difference of height.
It happens several times a game. It will happen in second half

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
I don't think the ref saw it live hence why VAR intervened here

It's the only explanation that makes sense

But damn this ref is weird...inconsistent refs are the worst
He saw it. He was watching the action where the ball was the whole time.

OverratedOpinion

I want the referee to come out and explain the decision after the game. I want him to be questioned and if it is deemed rightfully incorrect he should admit he was wrong and needs to evaluate his judgement before he next referees a game at this level then take a couple of weeks off to do so. This would be a lot to do but this is the biggest sport in the world and an industry worth billions.

This won't happen, a few of our fans will be annoyed at him for a couple of days and then he will referee another game next week with no repercussions.

"referees have a hard job" absolute nonsense, easiest job in the world. When I cock up at work I face repercussions.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
VAR isn't the issue. The refs are pathetic.
Thing is, the refs are the VAR. Literally. If you think the refs are incompetent on the pitch then why wouldn't be in the booth? It's the same people doing a different job the may be more or less suited to.

The tech behind VAR isn't the problem, sure. The concept of VAR? Probably fine. But the human element and the rules around it aren't functioning as well as they need to.

Not to mention that we have no idea how much the VAR is actually to blame because we didn't hear what the ref said he saw. His description of the incident could have been entirely wrong or so right as to make referring it back to him pointless. But we don't know because unlike the sport where this tech most obviously works (rugby) we don't get to hear what anyone is saying and are left to guess. Which is stupid.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Obvious decision. McT with a challenge that could be a yellow or even red if deemed intentional.

Zoo

Ref didn’t have the guts to stick by his original decision. Spurs players have played him like a fiddle all game.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Var is brilliant, now we get to wait an age for the incorrect desicion to be made instead of it happening in real time. None of that pesky excitement in the game and just as many shit calls as before. A resounding success.
Hehe. What football really needed was more stoppages to the game, controversy and crap refereeing.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
Goal stands or McT red card. The ref chose neither.

*Am I the only one Kane was possibly offside before the goal?
He probably on but not replay at all.

Truckham

what an absolute insane half of refereeing. Seriously. How does FA allow such incompetence in the biggest league in the world!

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
What constitutes a phase of play? Because McTominay didn’t score the goal, or assist it, or play the pass to the player who did assist it.
United still had the ball and the incident happened in the build up to Cavani scoring. There were only three passes between the ‘foul’ (it’s not a foul) and United scoring.

sect2k

What football needs is ref accountability, there is none, and there will never be any from within, since there is absolutely no incentive to change, give them one and they will be forced to.

Keano16

If he thinks he deliberately hit him in the face then it has to be a second yellow. If he thinks it was accidental then how is it a foul?
I am talking about direct red card.

Isn't a VAR rule that ref can re-look at the situation only if possible direct red card is suspected?

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I'm more pissed about the fact rashford got wiped out previously and absolutely nothing happened.

You can't pick and choose which challenges to look at.

Heinzesight

Glenn Hoddle makes a good point...if they think it’s a foul then he should have got a second yellow! Joke of a decision. Son grabs him first.

acnumber9

United still had the ball and the incident happened in the build up to Cavani scoring. There were only three passes between the ‘foul’ (it’s not a foul) and United scoring.
Yeah, but if we kept it for a minute and scored would it be disallowed? Where is the arbitrary line drawn?

arnie_ni

I am talking about direct red card.

Isn't a VAR rule that ref can re-look at the situation only if possible direct red card is suspected?
No they can look for a foul in the build up.

Remember shaws fk against Burnley when greenwood or someone scored. He then got booked for it.