Refs & VAR 2020/2021 Discussion

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Gonna get flamed but I don’t think it’s really controversial. The way football is these days you can’t touch anyone’s face.

Ludens the Red

What makes it even worse is Son tries to grab McTominay .
It’s an absolute train wreck of a decision.

Doesn’t get given if Son doesn’t go down like a sack of shit either.

arnie_ni

Gonna get flamed but I don’t think it’s really controversial. The way football is these days you can’t touch anyone’s face.
Then why bottle the 2nd yellow? You can't punch someone on the face and not get a yellow if that's what they're thinking.

saivet

I can see why it was ruled out but it was an extremely soft decision.

Pickle85

Terrible decision. McTom essentially penalised for trying to protect himself from a Son shirt grab. Looks a worse decision every time you watch it.

Welbeckham

Son clearly fouls McTominay first, so that’s just terrible refereeing. It’s a foul from McTominay but only because Son fouls him first. And lying down for two minutes is just pathetic.

Ibi Dreams

The fact that it's being discussed this much and half time commentators can't agree shows it wasn't a clear and obvious error, which is what VAR is meant to be for.

It's so frustrating that we have the technology there and it's being used in such a piss poor way. No consistency and frequent deviations from what it's supposed to do

Idxomer

What makes it even worse is Son tries to grab McTominay .
It’s an absolute train wreck of a decision.

Doesn’t get given if Son doesn’t go down like a sack of shit either.
That's my argument, Scott caresses his face due to the difference in height between them.

acnumber9

Except the several other occasions in this very match where players did and no foul was given once.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Son clearly fouls McTominay first, so that’s just terrible refereeing. It’s a foul from McTominay but only because Son fouls him first. And lying down for two minutes is just pathetic.
This. They're not taking that part into consideration.

Varun

Staff
Because he was told he’d made the wrong decision. That’s when they’re sent to view it. The tech is a tv. A ref watching tv. Therefore there is something wrong with the ‘tech’.
No, they aren't told it's wrong, just that it's something they might want look at. He could very easily (and sensibly) have looked at that and done nothing. Mind you, this call to view it again is also made my another inept ref, not an automated system.

OneUnited24

What annoys me the most about that decision is Son is looking to grab McTom and hold him back. In that situation you’re going to try and brush him off.

I’m just shocked it was pulled back for that. If it’s accidental then surely it’s not a foul. If it’s not then there’s intent and a second yellow

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I'm more pissed about the fact rashford got wiped out previously and absolutely nothing happened.

You can't pick and choose which challenges to look at.
Foul on rashford was outside the box therefore non-reviewable

The intent is for VAR to only enter into play for the big, game-changing decisions(goals, red cards)

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
That is an absolutely horrendous decision. To overturn a goal....for that. And Son is a disgrace. The biggest cheat and a sneaky spineless cnut too.

acnumber9

No, they aren't told it's wrong, just that it's something they might want look at. He could very easily (and sensibly) have looked at that and done nothing. Mind you, this call to view it again is also made my another inept ref, not an automated system.
They only do that if they think they’re wrong.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
If I was a player I’d be screaming my lungs out at all times when I go down

Hephaestus

Unless you're playing against Lindelof, then you can use shove a hand in his face and VAR will say "that's fine".

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Unless you're playing against Lindelof, then you can use shove a hand in his face and VAR will say "that's fine".
I forgot that! Oh Christ yeah that’s ridiculous, how is there any consistency? Grab lindelof by the face? Fine!

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah, but if we kept it for a minute and scored would it be disallowed? Where is the arbitrary line drawn?
Hard to say on that. Chelsea had one chalked off against us last season for an offside in the build up. There was a significant amount of time between the offside and the goal though. VAR ruled the goal out.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Slow motion is probably the dumbest thing about VAR

Well OK its not, the people using it are definitely the dumbest... But its up there

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The instruction from Ole at halftime has to be run your faces into their hands and go down wailing.

El Zoido

VAR didn’t even look at the Lindelof one against West Brom. Why is VAR telling the ref to look at this but not a peep for Lindelof getting manhandled? Someone please explain it.

Wasn’t in the build up to a goal. VAR don’t intervene to just give random free kicks.
Commentary said they initially looked at it for a red card. They didn't bother with Rashford's challenge at all.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Obvious decision. McT with a challenge that could be a yellow or even red if deemed intentional.
Thats not in the rules though... Contact with the face has to be above negligible force, think its hard to argue this was anything above negligible.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
It might sound RAWKish but we really have been fecked over by VAR this season.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The fact that it's being discussed this much and half time commentators can't agree shows it wasn't a clear and obvious error, which is what VAR is meant to be for.

It's so frustrating that we have the technology there and it's being used in such a piss poor way. No consistency and frequent deviations from what it's supposed to do
It's not exactly that simple.

They have to judge whether the ref's decision is a clear and obvious error, based on what the ref tells them he saw. It's therefore hard for us to know exactly what's clear and obvious, as we don't know what the ref initially thought happened and what the VAR are judging the "clear and obvious" call off. There can be situations where it seems a 50/50 call to us but the ref gets it so wrong to begin with that the VAR have to call it an error.

Even if we imagine that was the case here though (and it absolutely may not have been) the ref still has the option of deciding "yeah, I missed what happened there initially, but having looked at it now I still don't think it's any more of a foul than others I already haven't given today, so the goal can stand".

Amarsdd

It might sound RAWKish but we really have been fecked over by VAR this season.
I was asking previously, I don't remember us getting a 50-50 or even a 60-40 VAR decision going our way after Klopp starting whining about us.