Religion Discussion | Read the OP before posting

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
In answer to your question @ADJUDICATOR, I welcome scientific advances. It doesn't diminish religion when brilliant people discover more and more about the world we live in and the universe beyond, it just makes you appreciate the wonder of the Creator even more.
In my opinion, science is simply a human language that helps explain God's amazing system to us.

And my faith is exactly that, that there are many things that are beyond human understanding.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Amazing that Islam has the same argument as Catholic vs Protestant in regards to saintly intercession.
Catholism was iPhone 6 whilst Islam was iPhone 7. They are essentially the same, ways of worshiping the same ultimate God with time refining the recommended way. So its not surprising at all .... if only people would focus on the 95% that we agree on instead of the 5% that is essentially just beta testing refinements .

AXVnee7

Yup this religion is a man made thing. If there really is a Terry's power or God. He's not picking and choosing who goes to heaven and especially not because the Jews are chosen. Well feck you God you made me from England
Don't think many religious people would dispute that. Religion is seen in most cases as a media for humans access God (not man made).

Anyhow, did you read the first post? This is the wrong thread if you want to bash religion. Take it to the other one.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Don't think many religious people would dispute that. Religion is seen in most cases as a media for humans access God (not man made).

Anyhow, did you read the first post? This is the wrong thread if you want to bash religion. Take it to the other one.
Yes, @Billy Blaggs - this thread was started so that people of faith and those with an interest in faith could discuss their religions. There are lots of people who would agree with you in the anti-religion thread, Religion, what's the point?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Yup this religion is a man made thing. If there really is a Terry's power or God. He's not picking and choosing who goes to heaven and especially not because the Jews are chosen. Well feck you God you made me from England
I'll get your coat.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
However you say that you don´t have any faith
I was always science minded my heroes when I was 10 years old was madame Curie and Thomas Edison so religion always sounded a bit mythical and the fact in the past religion=power in the west, inquisition (I have Jewish blood like a large Portuguese population does) when Jesus message was peace the church used Jesus words to justify torture and death, what some priests did with kids and the church protected them. I believe in the past a lot of priests were gay and decided to be priests to avoid marriage (on my church a young good looking - in my wife's words, priest from Colombia quit to get married with another man and he's living in Philadelphia :lol:). So going back to faith I do want to have faith but my questioning mind makes harder but I do know one thing "mass cannot be created or destroyed" - Lavoisier gave me some hope :D
When things goes really wrong then I end up calling God for help so I still have some faith and I wish was as strong as my wife's

Edit:adding a few more words.

Last edited:

VP

Catholism was iPhone 6 whilst Islam was iPhone 7. They are essentially the same, ways of worshiping the same ultimate God with time refining the recommended way. So its not surprising at all .... if only people would focus on the 95% that we agree on instead of the 5% that is essentially just beta testing refinements .
I agree but that's a troublesome analogy. Because people would say iPhone7 is the more advanced, relevant phone and that's how the trouble starts.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I agree but that's a troublesome analogy. Because people would say iPhone7 is the more advanced, relevant phone and that's how the trouble starts.
a tiny minority does, vast majority live and let live.

AXVnee7

a tiny minority does, vast majority live and let live.
If you ask Catholics if they consider Islam a more advanced and refined version of theirs, I imagine the overwhelming majority would vehemently disagree. Perhaps a better comparison would be iPhone 7 to Galaxy S7?

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Eschatology anyone?
Christianity: return of Jesus, death, resurrection...
Islam: minor signs, major signs (Gog Magog, smoke, the beast...) , Antichrist vs Messiah (return of Jesus), Golden age and judgment day..
Judaism: gathering of the exiled diaspora, Jewish Messiah, messianic age...

Amazing that Islam has the same argument as Catholic vs Protestant in regards to saintly intercession.
Yeah, there are a lot of similarities.

1. The belief in the same Creator, certain messengers, saints...
2. Jesus Christ is for example considered as a prophet in Islam and the Messiah at the end of the times: he will come back on Earth to restore a golden age. From an Islamic perspective, he isn't the son of God and Muhammad is the last prophet before the Judgment Day.
3. Mary, Abraham... are also key figures.

I understand Islam says all these holy persons have expressed the same message but that message was partly corrupt in the previous holy books (partly transformed by human action). Islam recognizes some previous religious books but considers the Koran as the only one fully reliable holy book. For example, I'm not sure but a Muslim (man) has the right to marry a christian woman.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
This stuff is all in Revelation, except the "golden age", but that might well be the New Jerusalem.
I'm not a pundit but I understand Jesus will come back on Earth to put an end to a period of chaos so that he could restore peace, justice and rule the world from the new Jerusalem.

Some Christians say the new Jerusalem will be the Heaven.

In any case and whatever your religious beliefs, there will be action in Jerusalem!

AXVnee7

I'm not a pundit but (1) I understand Jesus will come back on Earth to put an end to a period of chaos so that he could restore peace, justice and rule the world from the new Jerusalem.

(2) Some Christians say the new Jerusalem will be the Heaven.

In any case and whatever your religious beliefs, there will be action in Jerusalem!
(1) Is there a given time period to this?
(2) Secondly, is New Jerusalem a physical location on Earth?

Thanks!

Carolina Red

Staff
What about the minor and major signs? Any correlation between Islam and Christianity?
Oh yes.. "Signs of the apocalypse' is a major thing in Christian eschatology. The ones he mentioned are in there. Gog and Magog, Wars and rumors of wars, The mark of the beast, etc.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG

Thanks!
@Carolina Red is right.

I'm not Christian but religion is interesting in terms of general knowledge

(1) Each of these 3 Abrahamic religions tend to define the end of Times as a quick succession of major events whose order/definition is strongly discussed.

Regarding Christianity, there are different religious groups but there are recurring themes: tribulation, the rule of Jesus (typical debate being the return of Christ on Earth VS Amillennialism saying that he will rule from Heaven), Capture, Millenium, ressurection, judgment and then eternal state

This website seems to be well documented
https://bible.org/seriespage/9-eschatology-end-times

An illustration of many potential diverging interpretations

(2) Many diverging interpretations. Those who believe in the return of Jesus consider he will rule from Jerusalem. After all, monotheistic religions have started there with miracles and supernatural events.

donkeyfish

The problem would be what you might consider a good life, isn't the truest essence of what constitutes a good life. See you can live a good life and do good things, but the core obstacle for man is his ego. Every thought, action, emotion, reaction etc. as mentioned before is judged, but in our lives every single one of these is influenced by ego (whether directly or indirectly). Even doing something charitable feeds your ego, even if you don't realise it. From the ego stems lust, anger, greed and attachment. These are collectively known as the 5 thieves, as they are what influence all our actions and block us from the truth. In order to achieve enlightenment you have to conquer the 4, and finally surrender your ego.
How does this align with participating in western education and society? In some way, it seems to be a philosophy which contradict the liberal ideas centred around the individual and his Ego.

You have entire fields of study in the social sciences, who relies mainly on assumptions inferred from a utilitarian moral code. A code that concerns itself solely with what you called "what you might consider a good life".

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Couple of videos here that might be interesting, communal Sufi ceremonies in Lahore and Omdurman (Sudan):

Both regularly attract the few Western tourists who visit these places.

AXVnee7

How does this align with participating in western education and society? In some way, it seems to be a philosophy which contradict the liberal ideas centred around the individual and his Ego.

You have entire fields of study in the social sciences, who relies mainly on assumptions inferred from a utilitarian moral code. A code that concerns itself solely with what you called "what you might consider a good life".
I didn't fully understand the Q, so apologies if I get the wrong end of the stick but:

Given how Sikhs have integrated well into Western society, I'd say it aligns pretty well. The West is associated with greed, but personally I'd say Southern Asia is just as bad. India for example is rife with corruption and greed. So for a Sikh, it doesn't matter that you are in the West. Sikhs are (I hope) active members of their local communities, and having a honest working life is of paramount importance. There's nothing wrong with being in the corporate sector, or achieving financial success. It's when you become engrossed in the 'rat race', that is considered detrimental.

Hope this helps at least!

donkeyfish

I didn't fully understand the Q, so apologies if I get the wrong end of the stick but:

Given how Sikhs have integrated well into Western society, I'd say it aligns pretty well. The West is associated with greed, but personally I'd say Southern Asia is just as bad. India for example is rife with corruption and greed. So for a Sikh, it doesn't matter that you are in the West. Sikhs are (I hope) active members of their local communities, and having a honest working life is of paramount importance. There's nothing wrong with being in the corporate sector, or achieving financial success. It's when you become engrossed in the 'rat race', that is considered detrimental.

Hope this helps at least!
Thanks. I'm really wondering if there is a problematic bias in social science with policy advice, notably economics, failing to acknowledge the preferences of a subset of the society it advices. It is a very theoretical thing anyways.

Very interesting read though, didn't know much about Sikhism previously.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff

Thanks!
On your second point, a Catholic perspective would be that the New Jerusalem is the Church.
With regards to the New Jerusalem, it is clear that we are dealing with an image of the Church. For just as Jerusalem was the physical capital and core of the Old Testament Kingdom of God where His presence was most directly experienced in the Temple sanctuary of this world, so by analogy the New Jerusalem is the place in which the presence of God is experienced, most especially in the worship of the Mass. A further indication that the New Jerusalem is the Church is the description of it as “a bride adorned for her husband.” The Church as the Bride of Christ runs throughout the New Testament.
http://www.ewtn.com/v/experts/showmessage.asp?number=329339

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Ok... your thoughts? or a reason for brining this up?
Wrong thread.
I'm not trolling if that is being suggested here. I was doing my rounds on that day and saw some related news. Is this not a thread for the discussion of religious affairs in a pleasant yet serious environment?

Maybe there are some Nigerian posters on the site who had a view on the topic.

If you would rather that i post such news in the other thread, i can certainly do so from here-on.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I'm not trolling if that is being suggested here. I was doing my rounds on that day and saw some related news. Is this not a thread for the discussion of religious affairs in a pleasant yet serious environment?

Maybe there are some Nigerian posters on the site who had a view on the topic.

If you would rather that i post such news in the other thread, i can certainly do so from here-on.
No, that's the other thread. This is for religious folk to discuss their own views on religion and perhaps find a bit of intra-faith common ground on their beliefs. News articles should go in the other thread.