Religion, what's the point?

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
We could always start a religion discussion thread where various believers have grown up discussions about their beliefs without annoying atheist hipsters chiming in. Sort of like the Ronaldo (WUMs will be thread banned) thread.
Yes, that's exactly what I suggested a few days ago where you suggested this thread was enough. Probably can't do any harm. If it remains unused then the worst that's happened is there is another thread.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Yes, that's exactly what I suggested a few days ago where you suggested this thread was enough. Probably can't do any harm. If it remains unused then the worst that's happened is there is another thread.
That's before it turned into a shitshow. Feel free to start one.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
A new thread would be a great idea,to discuss only things about the religion, what we do in our normal life related to religion, anecdotes,doubts,things to read, etc.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
How do the atheists and agnostics amongst us feel about things like movies based on bible stories, religious music, etc?

See I am not what you would call religious at all, but I do enjoy some movies like Heston version of The Ten Commandments, the source of the story does not bother me, I mean what is the difference between that and say any other movie based on a book or short story.

Also, some years ago local morning drive time talk host on the Classic Rock station (big time lefty, hippie from the sixties) had some big singer from the 60's (might have been David Crosby) and they got talking about what type of music Crosby was listening to lately and he said a lot of religious music, hymns, chants, old timey Monk stuff, which got our local talk show host in a tizzy because he thought Crosby was an atheist. Crosby just explained he viewed it like any other music, it just tells a story regardless of the source.

AXVnee7

Sikhs believe in violence.
Aside from Jainism the other 2 you mentioned can and have justified violence.
Yes Sikhism does advocate violence, but ONLY as a last resort when all other alternative means have failed. Sikhism doesn't allow violence for the spreading of the Sikh religion or conquest, only for preservation of our rights to be Sikhs, and the rights of others.

This may end up a little long winded, so if you don't want to read it all I won't mind. But don't say I didn't explain myself:

During the time of the living Gurus, the Mughal empire ruled over India. Islam was considered the superior religion. Sikhism was initially a minor religion, however as the religion grew in influence and followers the Emperor at the time Jahangir took notice. Jahangir demanded that the Sikhs pay a fine to the government for tolerance, however the Sikhs rejected this on the notion that they had done nothing wrong by being Sikhs. Several requests were made, that gradually turned into threats eventually leading to the arrest warrant being made for the 5th Guru at the time. The Guru willingly turned himself in and was told to either accept Islam or face death as an example to his Sikhs of the consequences. The Guru said he would convert if Jahangir could offer him eternal life, which he could not, to which the Guru explained he will die one day anyway, so why compromise his beliefs? The Guru was brutally tortured and martyred.

The Sikhs and Hindus both realised that the Mughal Empire would not stop there, and this would prove true for the rest of Jahangir's reign, and actually became worse with the ascendance of Aurangzeb. The Hindus surrounding the Sikhs believed that their prayers would be answered by a deity who would come down to save them, however the Sikhs did not share this belief. Thus the 6th Guru formally militarised the Sikh community. Aurangzeb's persecution against the Sikhs was stunted, but continued against the Hindus. Eventually the 9th Guru offered his own life in exchange for the safety of the Hindus. The Emperor accepted this believing this would set an example to the rest. So the 9th Guru was executed, for Hinduism which wasn't even his own religion. His son would go on to become the 10th Guru. Realising the Empire would not rest until Sikhism, and Hinduism were exterminated, the Guru actively began preparing his Sikhs for battle. Every able Sikh was required to become proficient in martial arts, sword-fighting, swimming, archery and horse-riding. The Sikh resistance was a key factor in the crumbling of the Mughal Empire.

So as you can see, the Sikhism is not a pacifist religion, and believes in physical violence to preserve their religion, and to protect the oppressed. The Sikhs did everything they could to reason with the Mughals, but ultimately were left with no choice but to fend for themselves.

There have a been a few cases of Sikh extremist attacks related to Operation Bluestar in the 1980's. Despite this the overwhelming majority of Sikh violence can be attributed to a fight for freedom. Sikhs have fought for India in the wars against Pakistan, and also against the British. The Sikh community that eventually integrated into Britain had a representation in the World Wars for Britain, despite the way they were mistreated in India. Sikhs owe their allegiance to freedom and humanity, and will fight for it if necessary.

Last edited:

AXVnee7

@Silva I understand your need/desire/quest to denounce all religions for the 'fakes that they are'. But could you respect us as humans too and give us some breathing space to discuss actual religions. @AXVnee7 is helping me understand Sikhism more than I have been able to elsewhere. If you carry on as it is the religious folk will once again abandon this thread and Raoul will be wondering why this thread isn't good enough to discuss religion, ad infinitum.
Don't worry about it! He didn't expose anything, and hasn't discouraged me at all. I see that a there is a new thread for religious discussion and so I will move my attention there.

Blodssvik

How do the atheists and agnostics amongst us feel about things like movies based on bible stories, religious music, etc?

See I am not what you would call religious at all, but I do enjoy some movies like Heston version of The Ten Commandments, the source of the story does not bother me, I mean what is the difference between that and say any other movie based on a book or short story.

Also, some years ago local morning drive time talk host on the Classic Rock station (big time lefty, hippie from the sixties) had some big singer from the 60's (might have been David Crosby) and they got talking about what type of music Crosby was listening to lately and he said a lot of religious music, hymns, chants, old timey Monk stuff, which got our local talk show host in a tizzy because he thought Crosby was an atheist. Crosby just explained he viewed it like any other music, it just tells a story regardless of the source.
Most of the metal I listen to have religious or mythological themes without being religious music apart from some of the genuinely satanic black metal. I can appreciate the themes and stories even though I know the religions are bogus.

jackofalltrades

In the west the vast majority of the best creative minds in the CE have been inspired to some extent by Christianity. I can't imagine not admiring Michael Angelo, Beethoven, Tolstoy or even Van Morrison because of their beliefs. Until Darwin provided a credible alternative, most scientists and artists were religiously inspired.

I'm not religious at all but I read/consult the bible for its historical importance, poetry and wisdom. The rest I discard.

Silva

In some cases the Church had a demonstrably bad effect on art - all babies in paintings being Jesus (as a grown man) for a long while is probably the most disconcerting of those effects.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

The same way I feel about films based on any sort of fiction really. Why would I care where a story comes from?

Plus, as you indicated, a lot of great music has religious influence too. The likes of Leonard Cohen are steeped in it. Plus religious imagery can be very effective anyway. It's dramatic stuff. If it makes an piece of art richer then it's all well and good.

Silva

The same way I feel about films based on any sort of fiction really. Why would I care where a story comes from?

Plus a lot of music has religious influence too. The likes of Leonard Cohen are steeped in it. Plus religious imagery can be very effective anyway. It's dramatic stuff.
Yeah, atheists reaction to religion is contemporary art is "is it any good?", and it's usually religious folk who react badly to it, whether it's something like Jerry Springer the Opera taking the piss, or Noah offering a true to the source depiction.

jackofalltrades

In some cases the Church had a demonstrably bad effect on art - all babies in paintings being Jesus (as a grown man) for a long while is probably the most disconcerting of those effects.
True, not to mention the images of Christ on the cross. Caravaggio is the alternative

Carolina Red

Staff
Yes, the most popular of them did take up the swords. Ashoka, Tang Dynasty in China, most of SE Asia.
Sikhs believe in violence.
Aside from Jainism the other 2 you mentioned can and have justified violence.
What I mean by "take up the sword" is to engage in holy war... (Crusade/Jihad)

Do those faiths have a concept of divinely ordained warfare or have they had adherents who fought wars?

InfiniteBoredom

What I mean by "take up the sword" is to engage in holy war... (Crusade/Jihad)

Do those faiths have a concept of divinely ordained warfare or have they had adherents who fought wars?
Can't speak for the other two, but Buddhism does have a concept of taking up arms against evil to protect the faith, which as you can see can be used as justification for oppression of other faiths or offensive wars.

You can even say most if not all mainstream religions have the same concept. Can't imagine any completely pacifist religion lasting and thriving.

Carolina Red

Staff
Can't speak for the other two, but Buddhism does have a concept of taking up arms against evil to protect the faith, which as you can see can be used as justification for oppression of other faiths or offensive wars.

You can even say most if not all mainstream religions have the same concept. Can't imagine any completely pacifist religion lasting and thriving.
Interesting. I'd never read that about Buddhism.

The second part fits in with something I've pondered for a long time.. If kings invented God and religion partly as a way to build a military force.

"And how can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods?"

jackofalltrades

If I remember correctly, Buddhist monks took up arms against the Chinese in 1959 (?). There is TV footage of them with their rifles, although I'm supposing it wasn't staged.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
This thread is going to be shit now that the mad religious folk have a place of sanctuary in a thread of their own. We should have some sort of crusade into the new thread to spread our message.

Hoof the ball

I couldn't speak for other religions but as a Muslim I am extremely excited about the scientific strides being made in this day and age, and in the past. Even the deepest of scientific understanding, in fact the deeper the better. The fact I believe in God behind it all doesn't change anything that we are finding out scientifically nor is it conflicting or clouding in any of the major fields.
find this very apt

Carolina Red

Staff
Got this message from a newb hopin to add to the discussion about Buddhism and violence...

Buddhist's don't promote violence. Doesn't matter what you do or what you do it for - the consequences will be the same. Since Karma is believed to be a law; even if the Buddha killed someone then he would deal with the consequences in his life or another life.

Right now the Buddha's cousin for example is in a sort of hell purely for trying yet not succeeding to kill the Buddha!

Monks for example would sacrifice their future goodness & all they have done to protect their religion. It's kind of a person decision rather than anything in scriptures.

jackofalltrades

find this very apt

I think he says "Has anyone ever provided proof of God's inexistence ?"

How could that be done ? Surely it's up to those who claim something is true or exists to prove it ? If they can't, then what can be affirmed without proof can be denied without proof, can't it ? Nobody has ever disproved gnomes either.

Last edited:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Except in the case of Sikhism, this is simply not true. I'd say generosity and service to others is the defining feature of the religion. You'd know this if you actually read @AXVnee7's posts instead of belligerently pouncing on one small feature of the religion.
Yes, SGPC is the bastion of selfless service. /s

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
I'd disagree. The defining feature of religion is to promote your opinion over others.
Humanity is the same.
Kindness is knowing what others need and realizing this and even animals have this. I don't think my dog or cat is a part of any religion yet my dog looks after my cat.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
I'd disagree. The defining feature of religion is to promote your opinion over others.
Humanity is the same.
Kindness is knowing what others need and realizing this and even animals have this. I don't think my dog or cat is a part of any religion yet my dog looks after my cat.
There are two sides to this. Hitchens et al argue that morality pre dates for example Christianity by pointing to the story of the good Samaritan who we know is not a Christian. Christians reply that God made this person that way regardless of whether or not he is a Christian.

Billy Blaggs

The fact that any religion sites their own God like figure surely means that they are right.
I'm not sure if there is a God but if he is there. First off he's a cnut.
Second off he's a cnut.

Any all powerful being that lets children get born with deformites or be raped and tortured is a cnut.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I think the concept of 'god' was simply our way of explaining that we can't explain things and humans have that undying need to find an answer to everything to believe it.

Perhaps way back when, whoever was influential with knowledge simply suggested the concept as a way of putting people at peace with the thought that we cannot and will probably never be able to explain our reason for being, or even that we simply don't have one and we're here just because (which is sadly the most uncomfortable but realistic reason I think).

I haven't delved anywhere remotely deep enough into the history of organised religion or even just of our existence to know if there is evidence that suggests I'm right but I'm comfortable in it being a possible explanation.

Everything since, all the mythical things described in the Bible or other religious texts, all the wars fought in the name of religion, all of the extra stuff added in to appeal in a marketing way as a business that you buy into is simply that, cynical human marketing ploys.

Billy Blaggs

I think the concept of 'god' was simply our way of explaining that we can't explain things and humans have that undying need to find an answer to everything to believe it.

Perhaps way back when, whoever was influential with knowledge simply suggested the concept as a way of putting people at peace with the thought that we cannot and will probably never be able to explain our reason for being, or even that we simply don't have one and we're here just because (which is sadly the most uncomfortable but realistic reason I think).

I haven't delved anywhere remotely deep enough into the history of organised religion or even just of our existence to know if there is evidence that suggests I'm right but I'm comfortable in it being a possible explanation.

Everything since, all the mythical things described in the Bible or other religious texts, all the wars fought in the name of religion, all of the extra stuff added in to appeal in a marketing way as a business that you buy into is simply that, cynical human marketing ploys.
Well that's it in a nut shell. It's basically bullyin. My belief over yours. Your wrong so I'm going to kill you.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I think he says "Has anyone ever provided proof of God's inexistence ?"

How could that be done ? Surely it's up to those who claim something is true or exists to prove it ? If they can't, then what can be affirmed without proof can be denied without proof, can't it ? Nobody has ever disproved gnomes either.
Isn't that Russell's Teapot?

DenisIrwin

Maybe this has been posted before. I never knew this. I guess I must have unintentionally pissed off some muslims over the years.

jackofalltrades

Isn't that Russell's Teapot?
I'm afraid I don't know.

Just googled it and it seems so. Imagine a court of law asking you to disprove your guilt where your case is that at the time of the crime you were asleep, alone at home in your bed. Or even disprove that you weren't in two places at the same tme !

Last edited: