Renato Sanches | Performances

engulfing

He is an example of buying hype instead of rational expectations. Quite clear from watching him even pre bayern that he had technical deficiencies with his passing. An 8 that is inconsistent at passing is really just not very good but because of the occasional highlight reel worthy moment he was hyped. Biggest joke was to claim he was a physical monster, err for his size he is strong yes but compared to larger midfielders? He isn't going to physically dominate a midfield.

Right now he is learning to not believe in his own hype, if he learns to ignore everything and work hard when he is 24/25 there may yet be an elite midfielder in him, not an 8 with magical passing he just doesn't have the passing technique but as an energetic box to box who can improvise and create the odd chance. If he just continues to feel sad for himself he will probably end up back in Portugal in 2-3years.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Knowing our NT and the people that run it, he'll be part of the world cup squad..

SLBenfica1904

Supports
SLBenfica
Knowing our NT and the people that run it, he'll be part of the world cup squad..
No way,the people you mean, in fact, do decisions based on interests of outsiders like Mendes, but i don't think they would do such thing. He basically didn't played this season and other midfielders like Bruno Fernandes and Manuel Fernandes became good options.

SLBenfica1904

Supports
SLBenfica
He is an example of buying hype instead of rational expectations. Quite clear from watching him even pre bayern that he had technical deficiencies with his passing. An 8 that is inconsistent at passing is really just not very good but because of the occasional highlight reel worthy moment he was hyped. Biggest joke was to claim he was a physical monster, err for his size he is strong yes but compared to larger midfielders? He isn't going to physically dominate a midfield.

Right now he is learning to not believe in his own hype, if he learns to ignore everything and work hard when he is 24/25 there may yet be an elite midfielder in him, not an 8 with magical passing he just doesn't have the passing technique but as an energetic box to box who can improvise and create the odd chance. If he just continues to feel sad for himself he will probably end up back in Portugal in 2-3years.
I just don't agree when you deny he is a physical monster, when that physicality(i don't know ir that's the word) was what made him stood out. He is fast, very strong and a balance hard to match. I've seen the highlights of all his games since he left Benfica and i see it's obvious that he can do much better than what he is doing, he is clearly mentally disturbed and once he fix that problem he will be usefull to many teams. It's bad to see the president of my club to sell the kids when they are overhyped and overvalued and don't care if they are ready to take the next step. Guedes was similar when sold to psg, but somehow he managed to get in valencia team and the things are going nice

binary bot
The original Renato Sanches is even better now. It’s hilarious if you go back and read every report saying we were signing him, then the following page he’s posing with Rummenigge, then the annoyance!

The Bloody-Nine

It's interesting how Bayern were insistent on not selling him for less than they paid for him during the summer, they knew they had made a mistake and were looking for some other fool to take the financial hit - pretty underhand if you ask me.
What do you expect them to do, give him away?

Robbie Boy

One of those players who was overhyped because he ran a lot in a game in Euro.
Sissoko got the same treatment even though he had been consistently shite in the PL for many a year.

Turns out that Sanches, isn't very good the ouel football. I remember Welbeck was a superb lad for the running but another that wasn't / isn't very good at actual football.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Poor guy, what a year he had. From winning Euro 16 and best young player award, signing for one of the best clubs for a big fee to getting rejected by Swansea and parent club don't even want him back.

el3mel

Sissoko got the same treatment even though he had been consistently shite in the PL for many a year.

Turns out that Sanches, isn't very good the ouel football. I remember Welbeck was a superb lad for the running but another that wasn't / isn't very good at actual football.
I remember watching some opinions during that Euro that Sissoko is better than Pogba, it was insane! :lol:

Robbie Boy

I remember watching some opinions during that Euro that Sissoko is better than Pogba, it was insane! :lol:
The fact that this actually happened is just..... I don't even know. Funny how some get sucked into a perception that a player is talented based on their athleticism and not their actual footballing ability.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
In hindsight, it's a shame you didn't splash the cash on him.

engulfing

I just don't agree when you deny he is a physical monster, when that physicality(i don't know ir that's the word) was what made him stood out. He is fast, very strong and a balance hard to match. I've seen the highlights of all his games since he left Benfica and i see it's obvious that he can do much better than what he is doing, he is clearly mentally disturbed and once he fix that problem he will be usefull to many teams. It's bad to see the president of my club to sell the kids when they are overhyped and overvalued and don't care if they are ready to take the next step. Guedes was similar when sold to psg, but somehow he managed to get in valencia team and the things are going nice
For someone who is 1. 77 cm tall he is very strong, but put him beside pogba or matic or bakayoko or any other player above 1.85 cm and he will just be average physically. He is small enough to be classed a weakness physically by video analysts and targeted by Fellaini style tactics. Also he isn't slow but I don't think he is really that super quick. You rarely see him cleanly escape his man after pushing the ball past him. If he was quicker he would probably have become a number 10.

Blackwidow

He did not say it like this. He just told that they have not talked about it and that Bayern is especially full in this position. At the end of the press conference he again talked that he thinks that the boy is a great talent but that kids like this need special treatment and help.

Jupp and the Hermanns would be great for him - but not in a midfield where it is already difficult to press Vidal, Tolisso, Rudy, Thiago, Martinez, James and maybe even Müller (when Robben is fit) in.

Sigma

Maybe with a Portuguese manager coming in, that might help him. I really hope he has a good second half of the season.

Rafateria

I thought he was quite good when he came on for the last 15 mins or so of the last match against us. You can see the potential in there. He should have started.

izec

He can be happy if he manages to keep himself in some decent league. Wouldnt be surprised if we didnt see him much in top leagues in the future. Should go back to Portugal and start again

Darlington Padgett

I agree.

But the Euros will always be an anomaly and a proper mindfeck, because he was seriously good for Portugal that Summer.
Like I said at the time, another Anderson clone. All YouTube hype no consistency in the basics
Anderson was a great player and he was really important when we won the champions league. He had a lot of injuries but he was never a bad player.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He has proved to be about as good as I expected - in that he is way overhyped and has shown nothing to suggest he will make it as a top level pro.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool

This guy :lol:
Says a lot about his smarts, professionalism and commitment. To post that after "your" team lost a crucial game that virtually guarantees relegation. He clearly is not bothered. Bayern will be lucky to find somebody willing to throw €10M at them. Balotelli 0.5, because he only has half the talent.

Ekeke

Was just a decent young player, never understood the overhype. But perhaps it has to do with football fans fixation with potential and the assumption that young players doing something are guaranteed to only get better and better when the reality is a large amount of young players who look pretty good at one point regress instead of progressing.

Andersons Dietician

It is crazy how far he has fallen. He looks a shadow of the player I watched come through at Benfica. His decision making and just in game understanding was incredible and way beyond what you would expect from a player of his age.
He just doesn’t look like the same player at all, it’s like that move just destroyed him. Still has time on his side but moving back to Portugal in familiar surroundings might not be a bad idea for him.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yeah he needs to go back to Benfica and start again, the Bayern move was just far too early.

Moving to Swansea was also another stupid move, he clearly didn't want to be there and he's made his worth drop massively since.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It is crazy how far he has fallen. He looks a shadow of the player I watched come through at Benfica. His decision making and just in game understanding was incredible and way beyond what you would expect from a player of his age.
He just doesn’t look like the same player at all, it’s like that move just destroyed him. Still has time on his side but moving back to Portugal in familiar surroundings might not be a bad idea for him.
It's the standard of the league tbh - a player can look great in a league like Portugal (no disrespect as there are some great sides there) but you can't tell how a player will turn out when exposed to the top level of the game.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
We still bought him
Yes but the hype around Anderson was based on his per injury performances and he was very good. Sanches has just been overhyped for no good reasons, even his Euro wasn't as good as it seems some think.

Hammerfell

I agree.

But the Euros will always be an anomaly and a proper mindfeck, because he was seriously good for Portugal that Summer.
His performances in that tournament have always been overstated. He wasn’t that good.

Ephrem

Like I said at the time, another Anderson clone. All YouTube hype no consistency in the basics
Dude Anderson was one hell of player (for a season though). Anybody was able to see the potential in him. Lack of commitment, positional issues and injuries derailed his career. Renato haven't done anything to be compared with him.

Tarrou

Seems like he's gone from vastly overrated to a bit underrated now. Still what 20? He made a big move too early but plenty of time to get back on track.