Renato Sanches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky Rhiwabon

They're both box to box midfielders who can't pass that well but have fantastic energy and aggression. Kante is obviously much more experienced and his reading of the game and positioning is subsequently better and Sanches has more tricks and dribbling ability but they're pretty similar players who perform the same roles in their team.
Couldn't we just buy Kante himself for that money and save ourselves the risk?

settembrini

Couldn't we just buy Kante himself for that money and save ourselves the risk?
We could. Seems pretty likely we will be buying Sanches though if the reports about all the times we have scouted him are accurate. I personally would pick him over Kante as well even though Kante is the better player right now.

Sparky Rhiwabon

We could. Seems pretty likely we will be buying Sanches though if the reports about all the times we have scouted him are accurate. I personally would pick him over Kante as well even though Kante is the better player right now.
OK. I know Kante is very good but I know nothing about Sanches - he could turn out to be better I guess (or another Memphis, Anderson, etc). Kante is Premier League proven and fits it like a glove and is 25, just entering his peak

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He got a red card last night. Two yellows. Kante at the moment is the better player and won't cost as much. But Sanches has more in his game. Both strong extremely energetic players and very good at shielding the ball and driving their team foward. But Sanches dribbling ability means he's better at running with the ball.

Mr Smith

By the way, does anyone know what kind of midfielder he is? Are we talking a Toure-esque midfielder who plays deep but drives forward in attack, or more of a box-to-box midfielder, or more of a defensive holding midfielder?

I ask because if he's more of a defensive player, I wouldn't sign him, given that we've already got Schneiderlin and Fosu-Mensah is coming through.

Jinn

By the way, does anyone know what kind of midfielder he is? Are we talking a Toure-esque midfielder who plays deep but drives forward in attack, or more of a box-to-box midfielder, or more of a defensive holding midfielder?

I ask because if he's more of a defensive player, I wouldn't sign him, given that we've already got Schneiderlin and Fosu-Mensah is coming through.
Box to box I would say.

Gerald G

They're both box to box midfielders who can't pass that well but have fantastic energy and aggression. Kante is obviously much more experienced and his reading of the game and positioning is subsequently better and Sanches has more tricks and dribbling ability but they're pretty similar players who perform the same roles in their team.
He's got more to his game than Kante, although Kante is the better player right now. It's too simple to compare him with Kante in my opinion.

legball

I know people will mention Martial, but you don't strike gold every time, plus Renato has played well less first team football than Martial did at the time. €80m on him is madness, especially considering our current level and the players that may become available this summer, to put this into perspective, Pogba will go for around €100m, Saul has a €45m release clause, Pjanic has a €40m release clause and they are all better and more accomplished. And may I add one more thing, people always say "he's young, will get better". The fact that one is young doesn't mean they'll get better, and young doesn't mean they have world class talent. Cut it short, if we have €80m to spend in midfield [and I think we do] then signing Krycho/Saul & Miralem will represent better business.

Will Absolute

I know people will mention Martial, but you don't strike gold every time, plus Renato has played well less first team football than Martial did at the time. €80m on him is madness, especially considering our current level and the players that may become available this summer, to put this into perspective, Pogba will go for around €100m, Saul has a €45m release clause, Pjanic has a €40m release clause and they are all better and more accomplished. And may I add one more thing, people always say "he's young, will get better". The fact that one is young doesn't mean they'll get better, and young doesn't mean they have world class talent. Cut it short, if we have €80m to spend in midfield [and I think we do] then signing Krycho/Saul & Miralem will represent better business.
After striking it lucky with Martial, Woody may believe he's found the secret formula. You too can make your fortune in the transfer market: just follow these simple steps..

Who knows if we're even in for him though. Or if we are, how much we're prepared to pay. Benfica seem to be driving the story, so it might be another Gaitan. If Mou is in the waiting-room, we surely wouldn't do anything without his say-so.

legball

After striking it lucky with Martial, Woody may believe he's found the secret formula. You too can make your fortune in the transfer market: just follow these simple steps..

Who knows if we're even in for him though. Or if we are, how much we're prepared to pay. Benfica seem to be driving the story, so it might be another Gaitan. If Mou is in the waiting-room, we surely wouldn't do anything without his say-so.
This is exactly what I'm thinking.

Will Absolute

If as reported Benfica president Luís Filipe Vieira was in Manchester last week then it's gone further then Gaitan. Am also not sure how you can attribute the success of Martial to pure luck.
In fairness there's luck involved in every transfer, particularly when a club pays a fortune for a young, relatively untested player.

If the Benfica president was in Manchester and met with Woody, then it's likely we have a serious interest. Do we know that for sure?

Edit: Zoo's post has disappeared. :confused: Maybe he thought better of challenging my wisdom? Who can blame him?

Zoo

In fairness there's luck involved in every transfer, particularly when a club pays a fortune for a young, relatively untested player.

If the Benfica president was in Manchester and met with Woody, then it's likely we have a serious interest. Do we know that for sure?

Edit: Zoo's post has disappeared. :confused: Maybe he thought better of challenging my wisdom? Who can blame him?
I thought I shouldn't take this off-topic :D

dichinero

While it seems convenient to use Martial as a base for comparison , Martial didn't split the opinion of the home fans on him. Pretty much every Monaco and even Lyon fans were pretty much in agreement that Martial was the real deal. Even Memphis despite a poorer season than expected, had the backing of every PSV fan. Despite all the hype, Sanches has the opinion of home fans split on him, probably more are against it. Furthermore, I would expect the apparent buying club fans to be in muppet mode and exaggerate a potential transfers ability and after 65 pages we are still 50/50 on him. Clearly his hype is not as contagious!

spenzo

While it seems convenient to use Martial as a base for comparison , Martial didn't split the opinion of the home fans on him. Pretty much every Monaco and even Lyon fans were pretty much in agreement that Martial was the real deal. Even Memphis despite a poorer season than expected, had the backing of every PSV fan. Despite all the hype, Sanches has the opinion of home fans split on him, probably more are against it. Furthermore, I would expect the apparent buying club fans to be in muppet mode and exaggerate a potential transfers ability and after 65 pages we are still 50/50 on him. Clearly his hype is not as contagious!
My exact thoughts, plus no one that had actually seen Martial was against the transfer or particularly fussed about the fee. It was only people that hadn't heard of him/seen him play much (me included) that had their doubts. Not suggesting that youtube is a good judgement as it really isn't but the fact that many on here are still unconvinced about Sanches' 'best bits' says a lot in my mind as it doesn't usually take a lot to impress people on here, especially when it's someone United are strongly linked with.

The comparisons between this potential deal and the Martial one are heavily strained and they're on based on the fact that it's a young player who who would be moving for a high price. Key difference is that Martial had far more experience. One thing is for sure, from all that I've seen of him, I'm not too keen on the deal. You won't see me moaning if the move goes through though, as he clearly has potential, we'll just have to hope he can fulfill it.

dichinero

My exact thoughts, plus no one that had actually seen Martial was against the transfer or particularly fussed about the fee. It was only people that hadn't heard of him/seen him play much (me included) that had their doubts. Not suggesting that youtube is a good judgement as it really isn't but the fact that many on here are still unconvinced about Sanches' 'best bits' says a lot in my mind as it doesn't usually take a lot to impress people on here, especially when it's someone United are strongly linked with.

The comparisons between this potential deal and the Martial one are heavily strained and they're on based on the fact that it's a young player who who would be moving for a high price. Key difference is that Martial had far more experience. One thing is for sure, from all that I've seen of him, I'm not too keen on the deal. You won't see me moaning if the move goes through though, as he clearly has potential, we'll just have to hope he can fulfill it.
100% with you here.

legball

Agree with this.

Devil may care

Right now he is a rough diamond, I know he played against Atleti, Zenit and Bayern in the CL but that is distorting some of the arguments IMO, he is still very green and erratic which is to be expected, but the fee does not represent this.

To me if we had a great midfield and were buying him for a sensible fee like Smalling and Jones back in the day, where we were paying for potential not the finished product while still having top players already in their position, then sure. However for the fees stated he's not coming in to play a game here and there and learn and I don't think he's nearly ready for week in and week out PL football.

The thing with him is that I don't think it's even clear what he is, his passing and touch is erratic for a CM but could be refined with coaching, and he likes a run but he pushes the ball way too far ahead of himself and lacks the close control to be a midfield marauder like Yaya IMO. I genuinely think he could do with another year where he is so Rui Vitoria can actually spend more time helping him define his role better and ironing out his flaws.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!

I'm not sure this is true, I remember the Martial thread from when we bought him and as well as the United fans who called the fee embarrassing, there were quotes from a Monaco forum saying what a great deal they'd got, that Spurs were offering far less earlier in the summer and we'd been had etc. The verdict from the usual youtube watching was that he was "very raw", and there was even questions as to whether he'd start much for us. Many complaining that we hadn't got the "proven" Pedro, and that we were showing desperation.

dichinero

I'm not sure this is true, I remember the Martial thread from when we bought him and as well as the United fans who called the fee embarrassing, there were quotes from a Monaco forum saying what a great deal they'd got, that Spurs were offering far less earlier in the summer and we'd been had etc. The verdict from the usual youtube watching was that he was "very raw", and there was even questions as to whether he'd start much for us. Many complaining that we hadn't got the "proven" Pedro, and that we were showing desperation.
No doubt, the fee was astronomical but that was our fault. We had Martial on our radar but I doubt we intended to buy him then. Surely, after adding Falcao and AdM to the attack consisting of Welbeck, Rooney, RvP and CH14, I don't think the we were thinking of getting him the year before. 12 months after, LvG struck and we bottled bringing in any forward replacement. We had no choice but to pay last minuite price for Martial who was also tracked by other clubs.
That said, there was no doubting his ability. Let's remember he had been transferred from Lyon to Monaco for over £5m as a 16 year old. Given the conditions, that is a massive fee for a 16 year, a transfer outside the PL. In addition to that, he has played almost 50 games as a first team player in Ligue 1, no mean feat either. He was always going to be the real deal and that was clear years before the transfer to United!

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
No doubt, the fee was astronomical but that was our fault. We had Martial on our radar but I doubt we intended to buy him then. Surely, after adding Falcao and AdM to the attack consisting of Welbeck, Rooney, RvP and CH14, I don't think the we were thinking of getting him the year before. 12 months after, LvG struck and we bottled bringing in any forward replacement. We had no choice but to pay last minuite price for Martial who was also tracked by other clubs.
That said, there was no doubting his ability. Let's remember he had been transferred from Lyon to Monaco for over £5m as a 16 year old. Given the conditions, that is a massive fee for a 16 year, a transfer outside the PL. In addition to that, he has played almost 50 games as a first team player in Ligue 1, no mean feat either. He was always going to be the real deal and that was clear years before the transfer to United!
I mean, you can say a lot of the achieving at a young age stuff about Renato - he's been capped twice at 18, has played almost a full season non-stop including during their run to the champions league quarters, making a strong impression in the time frame. Having a quick look back at the Martial thread, there was the odd poster that was insistent that, for instance, Martial wasn't close to the level Rooney was at when we bought him for a huge fee, that they watched French football and hadn't been impressed enough by him to label him a special talent. People quite rightly get concerned when such a huge fee is mentioned and when there's enough doubt in the player's future (for hyper talented youngsters in the French league that still fizzled out, see the likes of Ben Arfa) that it looks risky. If our scouts have watched him that much, if they've done the due diligence into his personality and background, and convinced our higher ups to spunk that much money on him, it's probably for good reason. As a result, it's best we hold judgement on him until he dons a United shirt, presuming of course this goes through.

Red_Beans

That really puts the supposed fee into perspective. Saul plus pjanic for the same price? Chrissus

cyberman

Key player who helped Benfica to the CL quarters, could beat Portugals highest ever points total and won 11 away games in a row.

spenzo

Yeah, what you said :lol:

dichinero

I mean, you can say a lot of the achieving at a young age stuff about Renato - he's been capped twice at 18, has played almost a full season non-stop including during their run to the champions league quarters, making a strong impression in the time frame. Having a quick look back at the Martial thread, there was the odd poster that was insistent that, for instance, Martial wasn't close to the level Rooney was at when we bought him for a huge fee, that they watched French football and hadn't been impressed enough by him to label him a special talent. People quite rightly get concerned when such a huge fee is mentioned and when there's enough doubt in the player's future (for hyper talented youngsters in the French league that still fizzled out, see the likes of Ben Arfa) that it looks risky. If our scouts have watched him that much, if they've done the due diligence into his personality and background, and convinced our higher ups to spunk that much money on him, it's probably for good reason. As a result, it's best we hold judgement on him until he dons a United shirt, presuming of course this goes through.
You would get the odd poster claiming to have watched player x, some true. Same on here, I've seen posters claiming that Sanches in the top 3 young talents in the world right now, which is absolutely ridiculous!

prath92

He was rated but about 60% of the posters felt he was overpriced. There were many many posters wanting us to sign lacazette instead of him as he was most established. There was certainly no one who called martial best youngster around.

It's the same with Sanches. People rate him and consider him overpriced. The argument is that if he is talented we should buy him. We in the past missed out on players like Lucas moura, Marquinhos and all because we didn't spend big like PSG did. At the time those players could have helped us but SAF refused to shell out £45m on moura. Now we are reportedly paying £32m+£15m addons for him. It's not something unheard of for a youngster. And our scouts watched him for 20+ seasons. Surely they did thorough research on him

Clas Sified

He was rated but about 60% of the posters felt he was overpriced. There were many many posters wanting us to sign lacazette instead of him as he was most established. There was certainly no one who called martial best youngster around.

It's the same with Sanches. People rate him and consider him overpriced. The argument is that if he is talented we should buy him. We in the past missed out on players like Lucas moura, Marquinhos and all because we didn't spend big like PSG did. At the time those players could have helped us but SAF refused to shell out £45m on moura. Now we are reportedly paying £32m+£15m addons for him. It's not something unheard of for a youngster. And our scouts watched him for 20+ seasons. Surely they did thorough research on him
You sure he's a youngster? :D

RonaldoVII

And so it begins! The first of many rejections / disappointments?

Could always say we were interested but never that interested, although we've watched him in most games this season...

Status
Not open for further replies.