Republic Of Ireland Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarlet Spider

Definitely the best draw we could have but still a huge ask - but then again they aren't as good as Wales so need to be confident.

Reynoldo

Now if somebody could just rework that Gareth Bale injury voodoo doll into a Christian Eriksen one ahead of these games then that would be great.

ROFLUTION

So.. Being from Denmark, who are the guys pulling the strings for you guys on this Ireland team?

Can someone sum up how your team has fared recently?

Two great drinking nations shall meet.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
So.. Being from Denmark, who are the guys pulling the strings for you guys on this Ireland team?

Pulling...the...strings? Randolph? In all seriousness, Brady and, if he's playing, Hoolahan are our playmakers. Hendrick has his moments too. McClean is the big game player. Our top scorer in the groups.

How have we fared? We've been boring everyone into submission. Only lost once in qualifiying, 1-0 to Serbia. Managed to beat Austria and Wales away and drew 2-2 with Serbia at their place, so we travel well enough. We seem to struggle when we score early as we've a habit of sitting on a 1-0 lead and defending for our lives, Georgia away being the worst example of this.

See you down the pub.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam

We're not great, but we've got great team spirit. Managed a transition reasonably well with older players like John O'Shea, Shay Given etc dropping away. Regressive tactics at the moment, but they've gotten us into the playoff so somewhat justified. We had a great opportunity to top our group but blew it by being too negative. Best players are Burnley :lol: Our core is part of their core too. Brady, Hendrick, Walters (injured), Ward. Brighton's Shane Duffy has been immense for us lately. Wes Hoolahan but he's getting on. James McClean is the go-to man at present, for heart and goals. We're struggling for goals - Shane Long woefully out of form, Murphy kind of past it. We'll probably be a better team in the next few years because there's a few more players who'll possibly be in the premier league by then.

Scarlet Spider

We are an oddity - the football is horrific but we have beaten more teams away from home in the qualifying group than we did in competitive fixtures over the last 30 years - so the ends justify the means to a degree.

Robbie Boy

Good draw alright. Eriksen - like he does at Spurs - will be pulling the strings, so we will have to be wary.

Beobachter

Best players are Burnley :lol:for Our core is part of their core too. Brady, Hendrick, Walters (injured), Ward.
Just realized this :lol: Feels like Reading 10 years ago, with Doyle, Hunt, and Long.

Speaking of Long.... he's a terrible target man & goalscorer, but I actually kind of like his game. Has he ever been deployed on the wings/hole?

poleglass red

Yeah Long's goal return is pants, but he's a nuisance for defenders with his pace, he stretches the play.I hope Arter keeps his place, adds a bit of quality to the mid.

Champagne Football

Soooo... The two lads haven't signed the deals they were offered before the Wales match. Cause for concern?

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/1022/914392-oneill/
I think they'll sign. They might wait till after the Denmark game though before being sure whether they want to continue or not. Smart move of them to say it was all signed before the Wales game to give the squad a boost.

Chris Hughton and Sam Allardyce would be decent replacements but not straight forward to get but I hope O'Neill and Keane stay on because the squad has been miles better than anytime under the previous 3 duds and anyone who argues differently is talking nonsense

Scarlet Spider

I can't see Chris Hughton leaving Brighton unless he gets the boot sadly... it wouldn't surprise me if O'Neill was seriously considering a return to Leicester City.

Zebs

Shane Duffy has been immense for Brighton of late. Was at the West Ham game on Friday, he must have made at least 3 goal-saving blocks and countless headers.

Zebs

Whats price of a West Ham ticket? I live near the stadium so have been thinking of seeing a game or two.
A mate in work had a discount code for some reason and gave it to me so I got it for £21 (half price). Cheapest I found was £42 full price and I was sat right beside the away fans. The abuse (homophobic and racist) that West Ham gave them was extremely off-putting. Won't be going back to West Ham any time soon. Scumbags.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
A mate in work had a discount code for some reason and gave it to me so I got it for £21 (half price). Cheapest I found was £42 full price and I was sat right beside the away fans. The abuse (homophobic and racist) that West Ham gave them was extremely off-putting. Won't be going back to West Ham any time soon. Scumbags.
Yeesh, yea West Ham fans have put me off looking into going too much. There is a West Ham pub near me and it just looks like a cesspool for old jobless racists tbh.

Brophs

The One and Only
Got my tickets, courtesy of my Danish mother in law. Should be a cracking few days.

Zebs

Got my tickets, courtesy of my Danish mother in law. Should be a cracking few days.
In the home end? Yer going to get battered with axes if the Danish FA's warnings are anything to go by :lol:

automaticflare

Ref was man of the match not handing out a booking and getting someone suspended for second leg

Absolute awful game and Dangerous now at home with amount of possession we give up if they nick an away goal

This is classic though.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Meyler will be back, which should make a difference in the middle.

Champagne Football

The RTE lads certainly aren't O'Neill fans anyway.
Was painful to listen to. Staunton, Kerr and Trap set us on a path to total international wilderness....O'Neill has at least brought respect back. Denmark are too dangerous at home to try to play them off the park.
The negativity of Brady and Dunphy has rubbed off on Duff sadly. He's too afraid to disagree with them. Have to laugh at Brady - everytime Trap served up shit on a stick almost every game Brady always claimed his old pal didn't have the players. But with O'Neill it's 100% O'Neills fault every time even if we get decent results.

O'Neill showed balls playing O'Dowda and he was decent. A decent result overall from a very tough place to go and get a point.

automaticflare

Was painful to listen to. Staunton, Kerr and Trap set us on a path to total international wilderness....O'Neill has at least brought respect back. Denmark are too dangerous at home to try to play them off the park.
The negativity of Brady and Dunphy has rubbed off on Duff sadly. He's too afraid to disagree with them. Have to laugh at Brady - everytime Trap served up shit on a stick almost every game Brady always claimed his old pal didn't have the players. But with O'Neill it's 100% O'Neills fault every time even if we get decent results.

O'Neill showed balls playing O'Dowda and he was decent. A decent result overall from a very tough place to go and get a point.
Agreed on Brady but dunlhy has been same for both so his opinion is consistent.
Brady weasels out of trap criticism and now he is all over o neill.
Diff in fairness called out given who is one of his mates so I don't think he is afraid to stand up to them.

I think they are all dead on to be honest but Brady's weasling pisses me off

None of our opinions matter if we qualify tho If we don't o neill should be gone cos the Danes are terrible too and we threw away a 5 point lead in the group

Typical FAI offering contracts before the final result

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

Too dangerous? Just playing long diagonal balls to a shit lump like Cornelius is hardly dangerous. They were genuinely awful which was only bettered by our resounding ability to be dominated by on the pitch by every team we play no matter who they are.

It was an awful game of football tbh and the only impressive thing is how its actually possible to get a team of mainly all PL players to look so damn bad on the ball.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Really thought we contained them quite easily

Was impressed with how organized we were.

It must have been one of the shittest games of football for a neutral though

No idea how the 2nd leg will go but we certainly have a good chance

Champagne Football

Too dangerous? Just playing long diagonal balls to a shit lump like Cornelius is hardly dangerous. They were genuinely awful which was only bettered by our resounding ability to be dominated by on the pitch by every team we play no matter who they are.

It was an awful game of football tbh and the only impressive thing is how its actually possible to get a team of mainly all PL players to look so damn bad on the ball.
A bit of perspective - Our striker plays for Nottingham Forest. We had a 22 year old winger from the championship starting for only his second ever game for us. McClean never gets much more than 5 mins a week at West Brom. All up against defenders playing in the bundesliga, La Liga, premier league. Clark doesn't get a game anymore for Newcastle. We're not a bad side at all but we've never as a nation played great football in times where we're doing well. I'd say we're almost identical in playing style to the Jack Charlton days and he had far superior players in those times.

I honestly couldn't think of a manager out there who could replace O'Neill and bring us success while playing a nice passing game at the same time. Maybe Brendan Rodgers some day but he won't be in any hurry to leave Celtic for Ireland any time soon

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Brilliant!

I thought the ref was really good. Not a great creative performance and 0-0 isn't really a great result away from home
I do love the bit of creative refereeing meself. Extreme shorts. Wear a wig. Musical whistle. Give someone a green card. Another great creative option is to affect the result, give a random penalty without any justification in the rules, or take it to the next level; get an assist, or even score from a deflection. But this guy - I mean who the hell was he, anyway? It was so orthodox, such a boring, almost invisible performance. No-one given a card, not a single controversy. Terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.