Republic Of Ireland Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
A bit of perspective - Our striker plays for Nottingham Forest. We had a 22 year old winger from the championship starting for only his second ever game for us. McClean never gets much more than 5 mins a week at West Brom. All up against defenders playing in the bundesliga, La Liga, premier league. Clark doesn't get a game anymore for Newcastle. We're not a bad side at all but we've never as a nation played great football in times where we're doing well. I'd say we're almost identical in playing style to the Jack Charlton days and he had far superior players in those times.

I honestly couldn't think of a manager out there who could replace O'Neill and bring us success while playing a nice passing game at the same time. Maybe Brendan Rodgers some day but he won't be in any hurry to leave Celtic for Ireland any time soon
Its pretty disingenuous to say Clark doesn't get a game for Newcastle when he has started 7 out of 11 games this season.

To put it in perspective the other way, Denmark has Cornelius up top who was a complete an utter failure at Cardiff and didn't even have a good record in Denmark. The guy is awful. Delaney is on the second last place team in the Bundesliga who have yet to even win a game. Kvist plays in the Danish league after only playing in the Championship. Bjelland only plays for Brentford. They didn't have any defenders from the Bundesliga or Premier League. They had Serie A, Championship, La Liga, and Danish League. We actually had 3 defenders from the PL. The only real difference is them having Eriksen who didn't even do anything. Nor is he the type of player who should effect us being able to string a couple of passes together or at least resemble trying to put an attack together.

We don't need to play great football or a nice passing game but we have to at least attempt to win a game. The level of players is a shit excuse, the Danish players aren't any better bar Eriksen and it doesn't matter who we play. Be it Georgia or Cyprus, we are consistently dominated in midfield and played off the park. Its embarrassing from a group of PL players. The fact we're even here in the play-offs after our position in the group is a shambles

automaticflare

Its pretty disingenuous to say Clark doesn't get a game for Newcastle when he has started 7 out of 11 games this season.

To put it in perspective the other way, Denmark has Cornelius up top who was a complete an utter failure at Cardiff and didn't even have a good record in Denmark. The guy is awful. Delaney is on the second last place team in the Bundesliga who have yet to even win a game. Kvist plays in the Danish league after only playing in the Championship. Bjelland only plays for Brentford. They didn't have any defenders from the Bundesliga or Premier League. They had Serie A, Championship, La Liga, and Danish League. We actually had 3 defenders from the PL. The only real difference is them having Eriksen who didn't even do anything. Nor is he the type of player who should effect us being able to string a couple of passes together or at least resemble trying to put an attack together.

We don't need to play great football or a nice passing game but we have to at least attempt to win a game. The level of players is a shit excuse, the Danish players aren't any better bar Eriksen and it doesn't matter who we play. Be it Georgia or Cyprus, we are consistently dominated in midfield and played off the park. Its embarrassing from a group of PL players. The fact we're even here in the play-offs after our position in the group is a shambles

BAaaayyyyyuuuuuumm @limerickcitykid
Spot on

The inferiority complex is borne of fear of other countries players who no one knows about because we being Irish live and breathe the sky sports premier league hype media nonsense we actually (in general) don't know feck all about our opposition but just because our players aren't playing for united Liverpool or Arsenal etc they must be shite :rolleyes:

lem8sh

BINGO

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I do love the bit of creative refereeing meself. Extreme shorts. Wear a wig. Musical whistle. Give someone a green card. Another great creative option is to affect the result, give a random penalty without any justification in the rules, or take it to the next level; get an assist, or even score from a deflection. But this guy - I mean who the hell was he, anyway? It was so orthodox, such a boring, almost invisible performance. No-one given a card, not a single controversy. Terrible.
Missed a blatant corner near the end. 2/10.

You could see he was desperate not to give anyone a yellow, in fairness to him. Such a stupid rule carrying over yellows from the groups.

POF

Re Clark, it's not really disingenuous now he has lost his place in the starting line up. It's a big worry for the future if he can't get back in the Newcastle team.

Saying Denmark only have Eriksen is what is really disingenuous. He is head and shoulders above every Ireland player. One world class player in a pivotal position can have a huge influence on a team like Roy Keane had for Ireland.

As for the Ireland team's style, it is incredible the criticism O'Neill gets. The Ireland players are poor. They have great spirit and attitude but there is a huge lack of quality all over the pitch and in particular in attack. There simply are no quality attacking players available.

If you look at both the quality and style of players available to O'Neill, it is absolutely no surprise how they play. Murphy, Walters and McClean are terrible technically, the centre backs are slow but good in the air and good penalty box defenders and the midfielders are good hard working players. Setting up to counter attack and using Brady's set piece quality makes absolute sense.

The way the group panned out makes that even more clear. Playing defensively and on the counter attack, Ireland got great results away to Serbia, Austria and Wales. When they had to "attempt to win the game" in the big home games they didn't have the quality to do it.

Ireland will undoubtedly play more offensively in the second leg and I have far less confidence in them avoiding defeat than I had in Copenhagen.

You have criticised Denmark's shit players. So, based on Serbia, Wales and Austria all having better players than Ireland, how can you criticise Ireland for finishing second in that group? In fact, it shows what an incredible achievement it was to get into that position in the group.

Scarlet Spider

Good result but dreadful performance from both sides. If we can't get to the World Cup despite being five points ahead in the group at one stage and then having to get the better of a rubbish Denmark side whose tactic is to punt atrocious diagonal percentage hoofs into the area then more than a few questions will have to be asked. I would go as far as to say such an epic collapse from us should result in the end of the line for the management team.

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Ref was man of the match not handing out a booking and getting someone suspended for second leg

Absolute awful game and Dangerous now at home with amount of possession we give up if they nick an away goal

This is classic though.

Please go to the WC. Please

Wayne's World

I wasn't even surprised about how bad we were but I was stunned by how bad Denmark were, they couldn't make 3 passes together and If they did they would just hoof it straight in

Still in with a chance but boy Tuesday will be depressing....

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Saw this on Reddit

Shit translation;

Viewed from a police point of view, Ireland is welcome again to play in the Park. No recorded episodes of football fans in the nightlife. Thank you.

Away fans keeping up our stellar reputation abroad.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Saw this on Reddit

Shit translation;

Viewed from a police point of view, Ireland is welcome again to play in the Park. No recorded episodes of football fans in the nightlife. Thank you.

Away fans keeping up our stellar reputation abroad.
I was at the game, there were plenty of Irish fans in the Danish section but they were extremely nice.

I had a very drunk chat with a couple after the game and they invited me to Dublin.

I expected more singing from the away end but that didn't happen.

TheCorkman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Although the performance was pathetic attacking wise I'm going to leave the team off on this one. No point getting dragged far out of position when we don't have a defensive midfielder left - we should be very optimistic going into a one off game in Dublin at 0-0. Better off that way then having to play from behind at 1-0 from the away leg. With Meyler back, we should have a lot more security (particularly when Kjaer is pinging balls into Cornelius/Jorgensen). Hopefully that allows us to push Arter and Jeff up and try press high up the pitch.

I don't think we're going to outpass any team, but we should be trying to put teams under pressure higher up and win breaks from there. Denmark split the spine of their team so wide, the spaces in behind are a dream if we actually get the ball in a half decent area. Long has to play the next day though, he did more (albeit not a lot) in his 20 minutes than Murphy did all game.

As a general note, I don't why Dunphy is even relevant. Only person worth listening to on RTE is Didi Hamman whenever he's on.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Although the performance was pathetic attacking wise I'm going to leave the team off on this one. No point getting dragged far out of position when we don't have a defensive midfielder left - we should be very optimistic going into a one off game in Dublin at 0-0. Better off that way then having to play from behind at 1-0 from the away leg. With Meyler back, we should have a lot more security (particularly when Kjaer is pinging balls into Cornelius/Jorgensen). Hopefully that allows us to push Arter and Jeff up and try press high up the pitch.

I don't think we're going to outpass any team, but we should be trying to put teams under pressure higher up and win breaks from there. Denmark split the spine of their team so wide, the spaces in behind are a dream if we actually get the ball in a half decent area. Long has to play the next day though, he did more (albeit not a lot) in his 20 minutes than Murphy did all game.

As a general note, I don't why Dunphy is even relevant. Only person worth listening to on RTE is Didi Hamman whenever he's on.
The thing is we need to score to win and where are you optimistic about getting a goal from? We don't even try to put together a counter attack. And really if we need a lot of security against Cornelius then all of our players should be fired by their clubs because he is beyond garbage. There was really nothing creative or impressive about Kjaer diagonals, it was basic shit.

Why can't we outpass any team though? We have a midfield of PL players. Why can we not hold our own in midfield against Georgia? Why were we outplayed by Scotland with a midfield pairing of Mulgrew and Brown, a defender and a thug? We don't even attempt to. We're not the worst team on the planet here. We shouldn't be showing up with such a mentality against teams like Georgia, Scotland or Cyprus. The complete defeatist attitude in the setup is embarrassing.

Long certainly has to play as he is the only useful option who can get onto our hoofs.

WhereAngelsPlay 606

Good result but dreadful performance from both sides. If we can't get to the World Cup despite being five points ahead in the group at one stage and then having to get the better of a rubbish Denmark side whose tactic is to punt atrocious diagonal percentage hoofs into the area then more than a few questions will have to be asked. I would go as far as to say such an epic collapse from us should result in the end of the line for the management team.
We were never five points ahead in the group we were neck and neck with Serbia most of the way. We were 5pts ahead of Wales but finished above them anyway. Hardly an epic collapse.

poleglass red

the way Brady and Dunphy were going on about Hoolahan post game and how he must play etc on Tuesday. Your nearly inclined to think with O'neill's stubborness that he won't play him for that very reason. I 'd like to see Hoolahan and Long both start. Neither are great players, but Hoolahan can at least pass, and Long's pace could stretch the Danish.I really hope we have a go at them, that's not a great Danish team by any means

Gee Male

Loads of Danes around town now, atmosphere building nicely. Can't wait for this tonight, don't care how we do it as long as we get through.

Work needs to feck off sharpish.

SER19

Couldn't give a shit about how we get there. We haven't been at a World Cup in 16 years (next year) and every campaign see top sides not make it. People can moan all day long about the style but there's lots of ways of playing football and preferring one to the other doesn't mean it will work. Our group was tough and we got good results on the way. I love watching us play, the games are always tense and close and the players are guys you can get behind, you can tell they are giving their all, that's all I ask for from an international side. So many nations you gear fans complaining how the players couldn't care less.

Hope we do it. Don't care if it's with ten defenders and a deflection off a beach ball, the World Cup is special.

Name Changed

weso26
I can't wait for this. Heading to Mary Macs for 5pm to soak up the atmosphere.

I don't fancy it at all though. If we had of drawn 1-1 away I would but 0-0 isn't great,

Redo91

Had a ticket for tonight but had to sell it as I can't make. Sickened. What i would give to be in Slatterys right now. Hopefully the lads do the business. I've a 0-0 draw backed at 6/1 and us to go through on penalties at 22/1! COYBIG!

Champagne Football

Line up prediction with Wes, Long and O'Dowda coming on for last 30 depending on how game is going.
Randolph
Christie Duffy Clark Ward
Arter Meyler
Brady Hendrick McClean
Murphy​

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
FUUUUUUCKING COME ON YOU BOYS IN GREEEEEEEEN!

Robbie Boy

Agree bar Murphy. Will be shocked and disappointed if Long doesn't come in.
Yup, we really need him to play to stretch their defence and to make actual runs. He's in shocking form at the moment goal scoring wise, but he offers something that Murphy doesn't.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
One of our worst displays in a long long time, mixed with some bad subs (leaving one proper central midfielder after half time). Shocking on and off the pitch.

Shite from the back to midfield. Subs ineffective. Found out in many ways. Denmark far better anyway - just a shame we keep fudging it at home

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Absolute bottlers. Mistakes galore since their second goal.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Ultimately, we finished second in our group ahead of two teams who have better players than us before narrowly losing out over two legs to another team who have better players than us.

In the grand scheme of things I find it hard too be disapointed, let down though tonight was.

Reynoldo

Ultimately, we finished second in our group ahead of two teams who have better players than us before narrowly losing out over two legs to another team who have better players than us.

In the grand scheme of things I find it hard too be disapointed, let down though tonight was.
On paper yes it all makes sense just tonight the occasion got to them which is the biggest let down, so many simple mistakes. Sad to say it but if we were away for this leg it might have been better.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
On paper yes it all makes sense just tonight the occasion got to them which is the biggest let down, so many simple mistakes. Sad to say it but if we were away for this leg it might have been better.
Sad to say but if we hadn't scored the early goal it might have been better too. Hard to win games when your players brick it after taking the lead.

RORY65

The sad thing is it's difficult to see how things are going to improve for a while, there doesn't seem to be any real young talent on the horizon. O'Neill's subs and the decision to basically have no midfield when only needing 2 goals in 45 minutes didn't help tonight but we've got out to a significantly better side (even if they're not that good).

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I think o’neill has done a fine job with the players available over the years

Sure it’s not been perfect, a few awful results. And tonight his subs were pure desperation

I do think he should move on now though.

Ideally Chris Hughton. But not sure he would want to leave Brighton. Will probably go for big Sam

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Huge gulf in class between the Irish and the Danes. We done well getting to the stage we got to.

Football is not even our first or second sport.

Bojan11

Huge gulf in class between the Irish and the Danes. We done well getting to the stage we got to.

Besides Eriksen, I don’t think there is a huge gulf in class. Definitely not 5-1 at home.

Was it wise to give O’Neil a new contract before these matches?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

It's our second sport. I don't get how people think hurling and rugby and more popular. They simply aren't.

Gaelic is.

Robertd0803

Utter utter shite. We score first and go to pieces yet again. Time and time again. Errors everywhere. So annoyed.:mad::mad:

Take Erikksen out of the Danish team and they have nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.