Gaming Resident Evil 4 Remake (PS5, Series S/X, PC)

evil_geko

Scores are pretty much what I expected, especially after playing the demo, it's brilliant.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Seems like it's mostly the full game too, which is a relief!

I'm playing through 4HD again now in preparation. Normally I'm not overly eager on remakes at launch, but with the great job (minus the alpha channels) of Metroid Prime and now this, I'm not going to complain too much considering there's not a lot else going on right now.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I always enjoyed blasting away the Merchant after purchasing items from him, sort of like Arnie in the gunshop in Terminator.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
I still trust metro Game Central for reviews and I've been following them since their Teletext days. 9/10 from them.

I'll need to find a way to play this though.
One of my all-time favourites.

Irwin99

Talk about confidence to release the game for reviews a week early! Really pleased it's doing well. Capcom have clawed back a lot of goodwill in the last few years.

Redlambs

To be fair, as one of the reviewers rightly say, the hardest thing would have been to "modernise" the controls (as modern gamers just won't have stuff like this and Metroid playing like they did despite both games being built that way for a reason) and still keep the game feeling like itself and also not be too easy (as the original is not exactly difficult, and the Wii/VR versions are even easier). The rest is simply doing what they did before, as apart from the length of the end game and a couple bits of the castle, it was so good at launch and still holds up well to this day.

Though a VR treatment to this one would be so sublime. Hopefully it happens.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
To be fair, as one of the reviewers rightly say, the hardest thing would have been to "modernise" the controls (as modern gamers just won't have stuff like this and Metroid playing like they did despite both games being built that way for a reason) and still keep the game feeling like itself and also not be too easy (as the original is not exactly difficult, and the Wii/VR versions are even easier). The rest is simply doing what they did before, as apart from the length of the end game and a couple bits of the castle, it was so good at launch and still holds up well to this day.

I'm still surprised to see a remake get these scores. Surely something is deducted for it being.. not original at all!?

Shark

@NotShark

Pretty sure Capcom have confirmed it's happening :)

Irwin99

Wondering should I start the game in hard mode for an extra challenge. Really looking forward to this. Hoping the game will be available for download instantly on Friday morning :D

Redlambs

I'm still surprised to see a remake get these scores. Surely something is deducted for it being.. not original at all!?
Why? A game is a game. I get what you are saying, but remember there's a lot of people who want have played the best games of the generation so the likes of Metroid Prime and this getting great remakes doesn't annoy anywhere near as much as constant versions of stuff like GTA5 and Skyrim.

Saying that, as you well know, I think most review scores are shite anyway. So I guess it wouldn't bother me as much.

Pretty sure Capcom have confirmed it's happening :)
Noice! Hopefully it isn't some exclusive bullshit too.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Wonder what they’ll remake next, if any. Would love a Code Veronica remake or a remake of the original (which I know we’ve had but 20 years ago now).

Redlambs

I know since you are shite at quizzes, you might not know this...but 5 comes after 4.

Though I'm not bothered about remaking 5 or 6. 5 was okay in co-op mode I guess, but 6 was awful. I agree, I think a proper remake of Veronica with a much bigger and creepier prison would be decent.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I know since you are shite at quizzes, you might not know this...but 5 comes after 4.

Though I'm not bothered about remaking 5 or 6. 5 was okay in co-op mode I guess, but 6 was awful. I agree, I think a proper remake of Veronica with a much bigger and creepier prison would be decent.
Yeah I was more speaking about the ones I want remade.

5 could be semi decent I suppose but it was basically a rubbish RE4 with an awful partner. No more punching boulders in volcanoes please.

Redlambs

Yeah I was more speaking about the ones I want remade.

5 could be semi decent I suppose but it was basically a rubbish RE4 with an awful partner. No more punching boulders in volcanoes please.
Ooof I forgot about those boulders. What a let down of a sequel after 4.

Problem with doing 1 or even 0 would be the "3rd person shooter" aspect they have leaned fully towards now. I'd like 1 to be done properly with puzzles and more strategy in the gameplay again. Whilst I liked the remake of 2 enough, it was pretty much scattergun in the approach to the combat (mostly about running more than anything else) I think a proper mansion where you really had to think about how to approach the path you need to take between rooms would be creepy and back to the horror roots. Not that they'll do that of course.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
The mouse and controls are really shit on my pc. Anyone know how to fix it? Like it feels like the first R4. I tried the demo on my ps5 and on my pc and its night and day when it comes to controls.

Edit: just had to fix the crappy camera controls. Cant believe the default settings are so bad.

Last edited:

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Ooof I forgot about those boulders. What a let down of a sequel after 4.

Problem with doing 1 or even 0 would be the "3rd person shooter" aspect they have leaned fully towards now. I'd like 1 to be done properly with puzzles and more strategy in the gameplay again. Whilst I liked the remake of 2 enough, it was pretty much scattergun in the approach to the combat (mostly about running more than anything else) I think a proper mansion where you really had to think about how to approach the path you need to take between rooms would be creepy and back to the horror roots. Not that they'll do that of course.
I could see 1 done in first person - of course highly unlikely given their approach to the remakes and the "ongoing" line 7+8 - but I think that would be amazing. Never played zero tbh.

Irwin99

I’ve never played Code Veronica what’s it like and is it any good?
Very divisive in some ways and has an odd history in that it was first released (to wide acclaim) on a console that few people bought-the Dreamcast- then when it was released to other consoles it looked very outdated compared to RE4 which had just revolutionized the series. Gets a weird mixture of hate and praise from lots of people.

If you like the really old RE games then i'd say it's definitely worth playing. Personally I still love the game despite its flaws.

BenitoSTARR

Scout
Very divisive in some ways and has an odd history in that it was first released (to wide acclaim) on a console that few people bought-the Dreamcast- then when it was released to other consoles it looked very outdated compared to RE4 which had just revolutionized the series. Gets a weird mixture of hate and praise from lots of people.

If you like the really old RE games then i'd say it's definitely worth playing. Personally I still love the game despite its flaws.
I loved the OG trilogy so I’ll give it a chance it’s £2.99 on the online store at the moment .

Chairman Steve

I despised the old fixed camera with tank controls scheme of the pre-RE4 games. It’s something you had to put up with, even though getting one shot killed by a Hunter off-screen in RE1 was annoying as feck. I am absolutely not one of those die hard purists who moaned about RE2 Remake not having that. The OTS camera angle was perfected in the original RE4 which a ton of games took inspiration from and still do to this day.

I wouldn’t mind a Code Veronica remake, although steer the premise away from stereotypical anime back to B-movie schlock, make enemies/bosses interesting, make Steve Burnside not annoying etc. There are certain parts of the game as well which can feck you big time if you didn’t do them fast enough or not at all. It’s akin to ‘walking dead’ in old Sierra adventure games where you can’t win the game and the game doesn’t tell you, instead here you’re left a nigh on impossible task to get past certain parts of the game unless you employ some ridiculous seasoned RE skills or have something exploitable that only speed runners can carry out.

Irwin99

I despised the old fixed camera with tank controls scheme of the pre-RE4 games. It’s something you had to put up with, even though getting one shot killed by a Hunter off-screen in RE1 was annoying as feck. I am absolutely not one of those die hard purists who moaned about RE2 Remake not having that. The OTS camera angle was perfected in the original RE4 which a ton of games took inspiration from and still do to this day.

I wouldn’t mind a Code Veronica remake, although steer the premise away from stereotypical anime back to B-movie schlock, make enemies/bosses interesting, make Steve Burnside not annoying etc. There are certain parts of the game as well which can feck you big time if you didn’t do them fast enough or not at all. It’s akin to ‘walking dead’ in old Sierra adventure games where you can’t win the game and the game doesn’t tell you, instead here you’re left a nigh on impossible task to get past certain parts of the game unless you employ some ridiculous seasoned RE skills or have something exploitable that only speed runners can carry out.
I count three moments of the game where it's clear that they didn't test the game enough prior to release, two of them are almost literally impossible if you don't have the right set up of heals and ammo. I say that as a massive fan of the game but I acknowledge its issues.

It's sad because I really feel Code Veronica gets so many things right too (best/spookiest soundtracks of the series, a long story with a lot of cutscenes, some freaky and campy horror moments). It was genuinely a great game on its Dreamcast release but i can see how it aged badly to some.

A remake would have to dodge some of the extremely politically incorrect moments of the game :lol: . In fact both it and RE5 have so many things that they'd almost certainly have to change for a modern audience.

Chairman Steve

A remake would have to dodge some of the extremely politically incorrect moments of the game :lol: . In fact both it and RE5 have so many things that they'd almost certainly have to change for a modern audience.
Japanese devs can seemingly get away with it though so it’s all good :p Swery didn’t get any shit flung his way for either of the Deadly Premonition games

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Wasn't Dino Crisis always mentioned as a great game to be remade with the current engine/style? Never played it myself unfortunately.

Ainu

Dino Crisis was never a good game.
Heresy! Dino Crisis was brilliant. A remake of that game would be the stuff of dreams, but unfortunately I don't see it happening.

I don't think it's as simple as giving it the RE2 and 3 remake treatment, those controls would be tricky with how agile and fast dinos generally are. It would probably become too much of an action game and lose some of its charm. Sort of like what happened with the sequels, I guess, although I still loved Dino Crisis 2.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
What saved Dino Crisis was the tense in-game sound track, turn the soundtrack off and you'll realise how utterly vapid the gaming experience is.
Walking/ running down empty corridors picking up key cards and ammo in the hope that something exciting and scary will materialize and it rarely did. Must've been the first game in a genre like this where I finished the game in good health. My items case/bag was full of everything.

Conceptually Dino's replacing Zombies as the games main antagonists sounds like a neat idea but in execution was anything but.

I don't think Capcom have shown a great deal of interest in remaking the game for the new generation, amidst all of the fanfare for the series ,and for good reason. Its just not that interesting.

Zombies are a familiar concept in games but you can always expand alittle more with them or go down new avenues , as RE has shown us. But Dino's ? meh, not sure.

Last edited:

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Yea, I don't see that happening in the near future as well. At least as long as there are RE games to be remade - easy money. After 4 it's getting interesting though where they go with it. 1 is tricky, 5+6 much easier to do but not really appealing.

Irwin99

I completed Dino Crisis as a kid and i'd like to play it again someday but it's probably not a good sign that i can't remember a single detail about the plot other than a vague recollection of the final area/boss.

It's pretty sad but i just can't see them remaking RE Code Veronica and i'm pretty sure they'll jump straight to 5. How they remake that game though without repeating the same mistakes of the original will be a mystery to me. Also, the controversy of the setting was actually a thing before PC culture became more mainstream so, good luck with that one Capcom :nervous:

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I think a Code Veronica remake would've been more interesting and creatively challenging, in a positive way, than this (RES 4).

But RES 4 was , from Capcom's point of view, a obvious money maker and I'm not sure CV has such a big fanbase nor pull.

Last edited:

Irwin99

3 hours till launch and i still can't decide on the difficulty- normal or hard.