Gaming Retro Video Game Thread

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Well comparing it side by side it might, or if I went from playing NTSC to PAL then probably but hopefully as I've never played it before it wont.

I'll probably never end up playing it anyway knowing me :lol:

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
All of the Lucasart games are totally bizarre when it comes to puzzles. Monkey Island especially.

How you been, Arruda?
Good, good, hopefully you as well :)

Yeah, most adventure games suffer a bit from that, but I don't think any compares to Grim Fandango (mind, there's plenty I never tried). I don't remember if I finished Monkey Island, but I'm certain I finished Day of the Tentacle well before the internet days (and hence, guides). I don't think I could ever finish Grim Fandango.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
I never completed Day of the Tentacle until I looked up guides on the internet. Stuff like, "Put the spaghetti in the bucket of water, then put the spaghetti on the mummy's head and use a fork on it". How the hell was I supposed to figure that out? :o

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
I don't remember the game, so I don't remember those puzzles :lol:

I just remember I finished it and there were no gamefaqs back then. Perhaps exchanged a few hints with friends, etc, those games ran through everyone in my school so there was some word-of-mouth attached. I did play Grim Fandango last year (with a walkthrough) and still can't believe how contrived it was to get the printed betting ticket!

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
I haven't played Grim Fandango despite always hearing good things about it.

Sam and Max Hit the Road was the other one I had at the same time as DOTT. That was fun. I need to go back to Full Throttle sometime as I never got round to playing all of it despite enjoying it a lot. I loved the desert/night atmosphere that the game had.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
What is Grim Fandango anyway? Saw it pop up a few times in the nominations thread.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I never completed Day of the Tentacle until I looked up guides on the internet. Stuff like, "Put the spaghetti in the bucket of water, then put the spaghetti on the mummy's head and use a fork on it". How the hell was I supposed to figure that out? :o
Me and my sister, aged 8 and 11 managed to complete the game the day it came out Olly. With no hints (as it was back in 1993!). Shame on you!!!!

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
The traditional way of playing point and click games. Click everything on everything else until something happens.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
Got Flintstones for the NES from Amazon yesterday and it arrived today. Played the first level and a bit of the second, seems good so far. Anyone played it?

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
Got Flintstones for the NES from Amazon yesterday and it arrived today. Played the first level and a bit of the second, seems good so far. Anyone played it?
Well I played it for quite a bit tonight and it's a good, fun game. It's not rock hard like Ninja Gaiden, Ghosts n Goblins, Batman etc, but it's quite a challenge in some parts. Plus the music is mostly good (some bits are a bit repetitive, but mostly it's pretty good) and it looks nice too.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
I haven't played that apart from a demo on the 3DS, but I've heard it's good. I've given up on ever playing another good Sonic platformer though.

:drool:

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
I haven't played that apart from a demo on the 3DS, but I've heard it's good. I've given up on ever playing another good Sonic platformer though.
I bought the 3DS version, and highly enjoyed it, only later for @Alock1 to point out how mediocre it was compared to the Vita/Console version. Picked that up cheap, and he was right. At least 2nd best Kart racer ever. Ahead of any Mario Kart I've played(and I'm a big fan of the Mario Kart games too).

Wanted that new Sonic platformer(ever the optimist) until you posted that video. Shame.
Oh! Right in the childhood......

Alock1

Have you played Generations? It's not great but it's pretty good.

Sonic Transformed is brilliant. Unfortunately EQ is wrong, it's third best kart racer ever (behind MK8 and CTR). It's really good though, better than all the other Mario Karts easily - you should try it sometime. It's pretty cheap now.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert

Sonic Transformed is brilliant. Unfortunately EQ is wrong, it's third best kart racer ever (behind MK8 and CTR). It's really good though, better than all the other Mario Karts easily - you should try it sometime. It's pretty cheap now.
Well, I won't claim to know how MK8 stacks up(looks great though!), but compared to everything else, absolutely 2nd at worst, and I've a feeling I'd call it closer to CTR than you would. On a CTR note, I can't think of any game that attempted similar to it's battle mode offhand, surprising, that was an incredibly fun mode, especially with a multitap! :drool:

Definitely cheap, IIRC, I picked it up a fair while back for 20 euros, which is about 2 of your English pounds. That was the limited edition with Metal Sonic, too.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
I bought the 3DS version, and highly enjoyed it, only later for @Alock1 to point out how mediocre it was compared to the Vita/Console version. Picked that up cheap, and he was right. At least 2nd best Kart racer ever. Ahead of any Mario Kart I've played(and I'm a big fan of the Mario Kart games too).
I'm not really a kart racing fan, but I'll probably do my usual thing of waiting for the previous gen versions to be about £2 then I'll try it out.

Oh! Right in the childhood......
Yeah, Sonic 1+2 music does that to me a lot.

Nope I haven't played it, though I've heard it's ok. I just can't figure out why they haven't been able to make another one that's close to the originals and why they can't see why people actually liked those.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
I'm not really a kart racing fan, but I'll probably do my usual thing of waiting for the previous gen versions to be about £2 then I'll try it out.
I wasn't either until I started picking up Mario Karts for my various pocket Nintendos.

Yeah, Sonic 1+2 music does that to me a lot.
I was playing Sonic 1 recently, and every time I play it(and 2+3) it blows me away how good the music is. If there was no time limits, I'd only be delighted to faff about Green Hill Zone and Marble Zone for ages each go.

Nope I haven't played it, though I've heard it's ok. I just can't figure out why they haven't been able to make another one that's close to the originals and why they can't see why people actually liked those.
I'd freaking love them to make a shined up re-release of the firs few Sonic games, if only in an attempt to remind them what good Sonic games were like.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
I wasn't either until I started picking up Mario Karts for my various pocket Nintendos.

I was playing Sonic 1 recently, and every time I play it(and 2+3) it blows me away how good the music is. If there was no time limits, I'd only be delighted to faff about Green Hill Zone and Marble Zone for ages each go.

I'd freaking love them to make a shined up re-release of the firs few Sonic games, if only in an attempt to remind them what good Sonic games were like.
I've never played the 3rd one, but I think it's on the Mega Drive Collection for the PS3 that I've got, so I'll give it a go sometime. I hear the music is awesome since MJ apparently did lots of it. I've only heard this one, but if the rest is as good as that then that'd be great.

Some kind of updated versions would be welcome. I watched this video earlier, and at the end they said they should release widescreen versions of the game, that would be cool too but also really simple for Sega. Lots of the compilation and "best of" Sonic releases including the originals though have had a lot of problems, so I'm not sure they could even get that right.

There is an HD fan game (that there's only a demo for at the moment AFAIK) that looks pretty damn nice - http://www.sonicfanremix.com/

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
I've never played the 3rd one, but I think it's on the Mega Drive Collection for the PS3 that I've got, so I'll give it a go sometime. I hear the music is awesome since MJ apparently did lots of it. I've only heard this one, but if the rest is as good as that then that'd be great.

Some kind of updated versions would be welcome. I watched this video earlier, and at the end they said they should release widescreen versions of the game, that would be cool too but also really simple for Sega. Lots of the compilation and "best of" Sonic releases including the originals though have had a lot of problems, so I'm not sure they could even get that right.

There is an HD fan game (that there's only a demo for at the moment AFAIK) that looks pretty damn nice - http://www.sonicfanremix.com/

Aye, it's the Mega Drive Collection I play them on too, albeit on Vita. The 3rd is up there IMO, my fave has always been the first, though!

Sega are a bit weird. I mean, I have no clue how they're so hit and miss, boggles the mind when the have some of the best game series(series's, serieses?) ever under their control.

That HD fan game looks class. I wonder will they eventually get a cease and desist, would be a shame.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
Aye, it's the Mega Drive Collection I play them on too, albeit on Vita. The 3rd is up there IMO, my fave has always been the first, though!

Sega are a bit weird. I mean, I have no clue how they're so hit and miss, boggles the mind when the have some of the best game series(series's, serieses?) ever under their control.

That HD fan game looks class. I wonder will they eventually get a cease and desist, would be a shame.
I can never pick which one of the first two I prefer, both are too good and dripping in nostalgia for me to decide.

I think perhaps it's a bit of a Rare type situation, where the people who worked on the classics are no longer there. I'm just guessing though really, so who knows (though I do know that the director of the original games is now at Nintendo).

I won't be surprised if they do get shut down, especially if they release a full version.

Alock1

Well, I won't claim to know how MK8 stacks up(looks great though!), but compared to everything else, absolutely 2nd at worst, and I've a feeling I'd call it closer to CTR than you would. On a CTR note, I can't think of any game that attempted similar to it's battle mode offhand, surprising, that was an incredibly fun mode, especially with a multitap! :drool:

Definitely cheap, IIRC, I picked it up a fair while back for 20 euros, which is about 2 of your English pounds. That was the limited edition with Metal Sonic, too.
Crash: Adventure mode (bosses, worlds, story), track design, weapons, 10*apples mechanic, power drifting (takes more skill), battle mode
Sonic: Music, character roster, water/air feature (adds depth), different modes (traffic mode!!!), custom attributes.

The pluses for Crash Team Racing are bigger. Sonic is great but I think it falls short of CTR in the most important places.

Mario Kart 8 is absolutely brilliant though. There's no reason for you to ever be near Stoke I'm sure, but if for some reason you get lost and are close by then you should totally come and give me a few races.

-- As for Sonic.. Generations re-made the classic tracks in 2D and then gave them a 3D spin.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Crash: Adventure mode (bosses, worlds, story), track design, weapons, 10*apples mechanic, power drifting (takes more skill), battle mode
Sonic: Music, character roster, water/air feature (adds depth), different modes (traffic mode!!!), custom attributes.

The pluses for Crash Team Racing are bigger. Sonic is great but I think it falls short of CTR in the most important places.

Mario Kart 8 is absolutely brilliant though. There's no reason for you to ever be near Stoke I'm sure, but if for some reason you get lost and are close by then you should totally come and give me a few races.
I do believe CTR is better, but Sonic isn't the world away. It's track designs are class too, tbf.

When it comes to England I've only been three places, Manchester, Liverpool(getting a bus to Manchester), and London(getting a train to Manchester), but if it so happens I'm ever near Stoke, I'll deffo have to hold you up to that! Semi off topic, but at some point I'll have to visit Bradford too, but not specifically looking for transport to Manchester.

Alock1

If you ever get a train from London to Manchester again, jump off at Stoke. I'm visiting @Duafc in the next month or two. He's from near Dublin which is in the county of Northern Ireland which is a part of Realpublic of Ireland - right? I'll bring my Wii U with me.

Yeah, the track designs on Sonic are great. It's kinda hard to compare because of the water/air parts.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
If you ever get a train from London to Manchester again, jump off at Stoke. I'm visiting @Duafc in the next month or two. He's from near Dublin which is in the county of Northern Ireland which is a part of Realpublic of Ireland - right? I'll bring my Wii U with me.

Yeah, the track designs on Sonic are great. It's kinda hard to compare because of the water/air parts.
Yeah, that all sounds accurate enough to me, (awaits lynching).

The water air parts add a fantastic dimension to the game(I like their approaches more than Mario's sub/glider setup, although the gliders are quality), but then CTR had that battle mode, which to this day is right up there in my memory of best 4+ player fun.

Alock1

The air and water parts have much more depth than the gliders and actually take some skill. I can't help but feel they take away from how tight the games mechanics feel though. Those parts arent quite perfected (understandably) so online it feels like theres a little more luck and randomness involved.

Dude, check out this.. Its crazy, I feel like everything I ever knew was a lie. I loved the intentional shortcuts in the game but that's ridiculous.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Aye, the gliders weren't as big a part as the Sonic variations, but I can't deny enjoying them. I didn't much like the underwater bits though.

That can't have been intentional, he just shredded the track! :lol:

Alock1

The underwater parts remain for MK8 but they're aesthetic only, the driving stays the same.

Yeah it's mental. I feel like the game has lost some innocence, I should avoid watching more.. though I imagine no other tracks could offer the same as Hot Air could for cutting out huge areas since theyre more confined.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Heh, and finding the patch of underwater ground in the first level that acted as a ramp and could chip you over a section of the track felt naughty one time.....

Alock1

Wait.. what? On Crash Cove?

Edit: nevermind I know where you mean.. one of the CTR letters is hidden up there in adventure mode. Its after the first corner and you land by/on a bridge?

I thought you meant like on that YT and you could skip to the end of the lap or something.

Member 39557

Diddy Kong Racing on the N64.

Play it.
Yes. Possibly My favourite N64 multiplayer game alongside Perfect Dark.

Amazing Battle arenas The Multi Tier kart one who's name escapes me and Darkwater Beach on Hovercrafts with heat seeking missiles!

Member 39557

Yes. Possibly My favourite N64 multiplayer game alongside Perfect Dark.

Amazing Battle arenas The Multi Tier kart one who's name escapes me and Darkwater Beach on Hovercrafts with heat seeking missiles!
The remake on DS didn't really do the game justice.