Gaming Returnal (PS5)

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
The bosses were mostly easy. I struggled with the first two, after that they were fine, though Biome 6’s can be a bit tricky as there’s just so much going on. I never found the length of runs too bad either; once you’re upgraded a decent amount you can get through them fairly quickly. That being said I’m an explorer so I always liked completing every room, plus I was going for the platinum so wanted all the collectibles.
Yeah, I at least always fully explore the first biome after a reset. I like the level layouts/world enough for the most part to keep exploring. It's also fun to charge around and get up close before the later biomes force a little more ranged combat.

Checked yesterday and I have died 119 times so far and I have only just reached Nemesis. Guess I am just shit at this game :lol:
Don't worry, you'll get the god tier weapon soon (if not already) and you can focus only on practicing your dodging ;)

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I found the bosses way too hard and gave up at the 3rd one. I find soulsborne/sekiro considerably easier

Redlambs

I found the bosses way too hard and gave up at the 3rd one. I find soulsborne/sekiro considerably easier
I feel like it's the visual complexity that gets people more, they are all big showy moves with tens-hundreds of projectiles and colours going off at once. They are designed to look and feel confusing to the senses (some attacks even only have a couple of bullets that can actually hit you, the others are distractions), but if you can tune that out and just focus on your character, it becomes way easier. Soulsbourne bosses are largely you focusing on one thing, so in that sense they are easier.

Also I wonder if people rely on dash too much and it gets them into problems. Along that line of thinking, I also think some might be doing worse with auto-sprint on too.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I feel like it's the visual complexity that gets people more, they are all big showy moves with tens-hundreds of projectiles and colours going off at once. They are designed to look and feel confusing to the senses (some attacks even only have a couple of bullets that can actually hit you, the others are distractions), but if you can tune that out and just focus on your character, it becomes way easier. Soulsbourne bosses are largely you focusing on one thing, so in that sense they are easier.

Also I wonder if people rely on dash too much and it gets them into problems. Along that line of thinking, I also think some might be doing worse with auto-sprint on too.
I would like to go back to it. But too much other shit to play. If they ever decide to offer an easy mode im there!

caid

Economy of movement is probably the main learning curve in the game i think. Thought it was funny that you mentioned it more or less in your first post, think you mentioned holding your dashes for when you really need them. I was probably on bio 5 before i really copped that. My reaction to a nasty room was to panic and starting jumping and dashing around the place. Had to kind of train myself out of that.
I think its badly balanced anyway. Things like medi kits increasing your health if your health is already full and that modifier that increases every time you kill an enemy without being hit (adrenaline?) just make the gap between a good and weaker player really, really wide. I've seen lots of posts like your calling it fairly easy and it just bares little resemblance to most of my experience with the game. I guess i got there in the end and found it pretty easy later in the game but it was a tough slog for a time.

Siorac

I feel like it's the visual complexity that gets people more, they are all big showy moves with tens-hundreds of projectiles and colours going off at once.
I was definitely struggling with this aspect, and it's not surprising: I'm generally not a fan of bullet hell games for this exact reason.
Things like medi kits increasing your health if your health is already full and that modifier that increases every time you kill an enemy without being hit (adrenaline?) just make the gap between a good and weaker player really, really wide. I've seen lots of posts like your calling it fairly easy and it just bares little resemblance to most of my experience with the game.
Yep, same here. @esmufc07 saying you can get through biomes quickly is hard to fathom - if you don't explore everything, how do you stand a chance later? I need ALL the upgrades I can get my hands on otherwise I have no chance.

Ainu

Yep, same here. @esmufc07 saying you can get through biomes quickly is hard to fathom - if you don't explore everything, how do you stand a chance later? I need ALL the upgrades I can get my hands on otherwise I have no chance.
It's this risk-reward that makes a game like this so interesting. The more you explore, the more you get into fights at the risk of coming out of them heavily compromised with not that many opportunities to heal yourself, but at the same time you are giving yourself more chances to build up your strength.

Redlambs

Yeah, you can choose the path to go down that way for sure. Obviously extra health and proficiency matter, but I've never really been an item user in games either I just forget most of the time. So in this, I barely care what items/perks I get, I don't look for a build. Same with the guns, I pretty much ignore their mods.

I think for me it's mainly because I try everything in the likes of this/soulsbourne games. Or any game for that matter. Dying isn't really ever been a concern when I first play games so I'll explore, mess around, test the limits. For example in this, as soon as I got the blade I'm all charging in and now it's actually used a huge amount in my runs. Even on bosses I'll get in close and get some hits off. This is not really any different to other shooter/action games in that if you work on your character movement and sense of where you are and what is around, then the shooting/enemies becomes far less important. If in any game you play you work on your use of the controls and what your character can/can't do, then you'll be in much better stead.

That being said, this still throws up plenty that gets me. I just got about 10 of those kamikaze flying robots in a room I was new to and got my arse handed to me :lol:

Redlambs

Finally got around to finishing this. That last boss has to be the easiest one I've ever faced, not a single hit taken and the lvl 22 carbine I had just absolutely shredded him :lol:

But I really enjoyed this overall. The second half of the game was definitely weaker and the story whilst pretty intriguing at first just ends up obvious and disappointing, but all in all it has enough for me to play through again and see the other endings. Might have to do a low-pistol run only though as all the other weapons are just ridiculous.

I hope they do a sequel, and I hope they learn from the weak parts of this game and balance it properly.

Redlambs

Thanks buddy! Will have a look through!

God that Phirke boss is anooying as hell, never have enough health to go into battle!
I gave plenty of tips in here, but the main one is forget shooting and work on the movement. More often than not, the amount of projectiles on screen (especially from the bosses) are distractions, comparatively very few actually hit you if you stand still it's more often a case you'll dodge into trouble, so that's where you vision should be. Shooting (especially on controller, the AA is way too high IMO) is secondary, that will come naturally.

And with Phrike, don't be afraid to get up close and blade him, but mostly again it's just about movement and patterns. He has quite a limited move set overall once you actually study him.

Good luck! Such a decent game.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
I gave plenty of tips in here, but the main one is forget shooting and work on the movement. More often than not, the amount of projectiles on screen (especially from the bosses) are distractions, comparatively very few actually hit you if you stand still it's more often a case you'll dodge into trouble, so that's where you vision should be. Shooting (especially on controller, the AA is way too high IMO) is secondary, that will come naturally.

And with Phrike, don't be afraid to get up close and blade him, but mostly again it's just about movement and patterns. He has quite a limited move set overall once you actually study him.

Good luck! Such a decent game.
Yes, love the game, and I think I'm getting better with every run. Not tried blading him, will definitely work on that, thanks :)

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Biome 5 wrecked me. Want to finish it but those close quarter rooms with Frozen Severed was fecking my run up.
Get gud! But seriously that biome and the 3rd are the hardest I think