Music Revival - Eminem Album | Also Kamikaze

Hoof the ball

The whole "I don't like the fast rap" stuff is way blown out of proportion.

Most of the songs he produces don't have this; you're just recalling the hits that do and then projecting that onto the entirety of his recent catalogue.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The whole "I don't like the fast rap" stuff is way blown out of proportion.

Most of the songs he produces don't have this; you're just recalling the hits that do and then projecting that onto the entirety of his recent catalogue.
What’s a good one he’s done recently? I’ll give it a listen next week.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Are we still pretending that the man is some sort of genius, or have we finally arrived at the conclusion that making a career out of childish insults is just pure cringe?

MiceOnMeth

Are we still pretending that the man is some sort of genius, or have we finally arrived at the conclusion that making a career out of childish insults is just pure cringe?
Stan is absolutely genius

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
As with many rappers, his story finished after a few years at the top and now it all feels a bit pointless. Mainly because most rappers rap about their personal stories and once they've made it rich and famous and become so far removed from their original struggles, I don't really see where they go.

It's different for someone like Kendrick as the themes he covers are huge but the likes of Eminem (and rapping about his upbringing) or 50 Cent (rapping about being shot etc) become stale quickly. I did think Kamikaze was nearly good and MTBMB wasn't bad either but I just can't see him reaching that peak he had with his early work.

I'm not a huge rap fan thought so maybe that's just a silly personal opinion.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I absolutely love the guy. Grew up on his music and idolized him and I still do. Not for his music over the last decade but for the music back then, but these days mostly because of his recovery. I think he's 14 years now. I know how hard it is and he had to do it in front of the world.

I think he is a genius when its strictly down to lyrics and his ability to come up with rhymes. What he is not is some sort of philosophical genius or insightful social commentator. He doesn't have enlightening observations, and yes, he ran out of stuff to rap about fecking ages ago.

Still love the guy. It's fashionable to denigrate him for sure.

Red_Aaron

As with many rappers, his story finished after a few years at the top and now it all feels a bit pointless. Mainly because most rappers rap about their personal stories and once they've made it rich and famous and become so far removed from their original struggles, I don't really see where they go.

It's different for someone like Kendrick as the themes he covers are huge but the likes of Eminem (and rapping about his upbringing) or 50 Cent (rapping about being shot etc) become stale quickly. I did think Kamikaze was nearly good and MTBMB wasn't bad either but I just can't see him reaching that peak he had with his early work.

Don't think it's a silly opinion but it's not exclusive to rap music. I'd say most music is of it's time and very few artists of any genre are able to produce work that delivers the same level of cultural impact over multiple decades - even fewer remain 'cool' when attempting to do so

There are of course exceptions but Rap has that too (Nas being the most obvious) It's also a relatively young genre compared to some others where the all timers are more obvious

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Pretty much. Tbh I don’t think anyone over 50 can rap without it looking somewhat awful.
There's a rapper called Brotha Lynch Hung who is 54 years old and is about to release a new album in the next few days. I don't recall ever hearing his music before, but he seems to be well known from comments I've seen on other forums. He's apparently one of the pioneers of, or even the creator of the horrorcore rap genre.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Don't think it's a silly opinion but it's not exclusive to rap music. I'd say most music is of it's time and very few artists of any genre are able to produce work that delivers the same level of cultural impact over multiple decades - even fewer remain 'cool' when attempting to do so

There are of course exceptions but Rap has that too (Nas being the most obvious) It's also a relatively young genre compared to some others where the all timers are more obvious
True. I guess it makes bands that keep improving or evolving even more impressive (mainly thinking of Arctic Monkeys or Daft Punk).

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
True. I guess it makes bands that keep improving or evolving even more impressive (mainly thinking of Arctic Monkeys or Daft Punk).
It's much easier to maintain that level as you age in different genres for sure. There's something about rap that makes it a bit corny once they're older.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
It's much easier to maintain that level as you age in different genres for sure. There's something about rap that makes it a bit corny once they're older.
Maybe it's something to do with it being so heavily reliant on words/content of the words so you focus more on the actual person.

Gavinb33

I think the same as this, but I think it stretches over most music too, a lot of bands output when they get really big generally goes downhill for me the early albums there is almost a desperation too and then once you've made it that desperation to make a great album goes away a bit, there are some outliers to this obviously but I think in general it's pretty true

BootsyCollins

There's a rapper called Brotha Lynch Hung who is 54 years old and is about to release a new album in the next few days. I don't recall ever hearing his music before, but he seems to be well known from comments I've seen on other forums. He's apparently one of the pioneers of, or even the creator of the horrorcore rap genre.
Season Of Da Siccness is one of my favorite albums ever.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I can think of a few projects in rap that disprove this. This need not be the case.

This impression exists because it is corny to rap about young man topics the older you get

Re: Eminem: he can just look over at the artistic direction a group like The Roots (led by another wordsmith) took in recent years. Going deeper into his life story. Telling a compelling and captivating fictional story over an album. Keeping it simpler than his top level yet still just demonstrating his skill over modern beats.

He just needs an assertive executive producer to keep him in a certain lane. Someone like Rick Ross would be great (no not figuratively, literally)

BootsyCollins

Think this is Season Of Da Siccness 2. What other artists is he comparable to? I'll have to have a listen as I'm intrigued. I saw that he was signed to Strange Music and I'm a fan of Tech N9ne.
Yes he done some music with Tech, a fan of nina my self.
He dont really compare to many, its really dark lyrics, absurd some times :lol:
His flow is what i like most from him, but have not listened to much his done after ”Coathangla Strangla” tbh and that was in 2011 i think.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I can think of a few projects in rap that disprove this. This need not be the case.

This impression exists because it is corny to rap about young man topics the older you get

Re: Eminem: he can just look over at the artistic direction a group like The Roots (led by another wordsmith) took in recent years. Going deeper into his life story. Telling a compelling and captivating fictional story over an album. Keeping it simpler than his top level yet still just demonstrating his skill over modern beats.

He just needs an assertive executive producer to keep him in a certain lane. Someone like Rick Ross would be great (no not figuratively, literally)
Thanks for prompting me to put Undun to the top of my playlist again.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I absolutely love the guy. Grew up on his music and idolized him and I still do. Not for his music over the last decade but for the music back then, but these days mostly because of his recovery. I think he's 14 years now. I know how hard it is and he had to do it in front of the world.

I think he is a genius when its strictly down to lyrics and his ability to come up with rhymes. What he is not is some sort of philosophical genius or insightful social commentator. He doesn't have enlightening observations, and yes, he ran out of stuff to rap about fecking ages ago.

Still love the guy. It's fashionable to denigrate him for sure.
He's massively overrated.