Richarlison | Tottenham watch

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Why do we constantly talk about signing players after they make a big money move. First it was Maguire and now Richarlison. We should be the team that signs them early, not Everton and Leicester. Nevermind a player like Richarlison who would now cost way more than the 50m Everton paid for him. How about looking for players who haven't made that big money move yet? Players who we can see have a load of potential to make a name for themself at United so we don't blow our transfer budget on one or two players...
Why not go further and get him before Watford for even less? There are economics and a food chain in football. Manchester United occupy a certain place in that food chain, while Everton and Watford occupy a different one.

People have come out with this stuff for years after every young player blossoms into a top one. Left to them, we would have a team full of 20 year old prospects from Norway and Holland.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
We should sign Watford's scouting team then. Yesterday they had a 19 year old who was bomb, and they looked like a better team than big spending Everton. They signed another kid from Fluminense (Richarlison's club) too, I like Pereyra. They just gotta figure out a better partner for Deeney.

Anyways, I wish we could identify the prospects like Watford instead of being the guys who make them a huge profit. In this regards, Everton is even worse than us.
It doesn't work that way, especially in this post Ferguson era, where a relatively unknown young player would come to a club struggling to meet expectations. Players who sign for Watford would be given time and leeway to properly develop as players.

If Depay had gone to Watford or Everton, he might have developed into a proper PL player, for example.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Why do we constantly talk about signing players after they make a big money move. First it was Maguire and now Richarlison. We should be the team that signs them early, not Everton and Leicester. Nevermind a player like Richarlison who would now cost way more than the 50m Everton paid for him. How about looking for players who haven't made that big money move yet? Players who we can see have a load of potential to make a name for themself at United so we don't blow our transfer budget on one or two players...
Teams like Leicester & Watford can take a chance and sign players like Maguire & Richarlison and then give them time to develop. The expectations are mid table & to avoid relegation. Clubs like United are under incredible pressure to make CL and want players who can hit the ground running and excel immediately.

Hazard Warning

Supports
Chelsea
Why not go further and get him before Watford for even less? There are economics and a food chain in football. Manchester United occupy a certain place in that food chain, while Everton and Watford occupy a different one.

People have come out with this stuff for years after every young player blossoms into a top one. Left to them, we would have a team full of 20 year old prospects from Norway and Holland.

Although this is true and probably the most common reason, there are more and more young players who are making “footballing decisions” ahead of making economical decisions or even moving to big clubs for the prestige.

Richarlison was heavily scouted by Chelsea and we were far more heavily linked to him than Watford were before they swooped in. Rumour has it he declined to talk to both ourselves and Juventus as he had no interest in sitting on the bench or going out on loan. Fair play to the lad - would have he become the player he is now in the same space of time had he joined a Chelsea, United or Juve? I doubt it.

I feel all the “elite” clubs have contributed in some exceptional young talents not reaching their potential, or not reaching it as quickly as they might have had they chosen to not chase the big name club dream or the money.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Although this is true and probably the most common reason, there are more and more young players who are making “footballing decisions” ahead of making economical decisions or even moving to big clubs for the prestige.

Richarlison was heavily scouted by Chelsea and we were far more heavily linked to him than Watford were before they swooped in. Rumour has it he declined to talk to both ourselves and Juventus as he had no interest in sitting on the bench or going out on loan. Fair play to the lad - would have he become the player he is now in the same space of time had he joined a Chelsea, United or Juve? I doubt it.

I feel all the “elite” clubs have contributed in some exceptional young talents not reaching their potential, or not reaching it as quickly as they might have had they chosen to not chase the big name club dream or the money.
This is true, and advised I think. That said, he’d have probably spent last season at Watford anyway had he joined Chelsea!

Bwuk

Agreed entirely.

I bet we end up signing Maguire in the summer and Leicestee replace him with Benkovic for what will of been a quarter of the fee.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He's been one of the signings of the season so far, think he'll be coveted by some very big teams in the near future, his energy is fantastic. Every time I've watched him he looks very focused. What I like most about him is the pace at which he plays, he's constantly on the move looking for a pass, always carrying it forward and trying to put defenders on their toes, he draws a lot of fouls because of this.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself

Because our order in the food chain is to be the 2nd team in the EPL to sign him, not the first. We don't have a good record for signing players straight out of Brazil, but once they have a taste for the EPL and if they do well, that's when we should sign them. We would still pay a premium for the player, but not as much as we would after a team like Everton signs him on what was a big money deal for them...

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Teams like Leicester & Watford can take a chance and sign players like Maguire & Richarlison and then give them time to develop. The expectations are mid table & to avoid relegation. Clubs like United are under incredible pressure to make CL and want players who can hit the ground running and excel immediately.
Which is why we should be the ones signing Richarlison from Watford (not Everton) and Maguire from Hull (not Leicester). These are players who proved themself in the EPL. No need for them to sign for a midlevel club when they have already shown they can be better than that. Everyone knew how good Maguire was when Leicester signed him, but we want to wait until he plays for them for a year and has a good world cup before we make an offer. So instead of getting him for 20m, now if we want him we have to pay 70m. We should be acting sooner...

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Which is why we should be the ones signing Richarlison from Watford (not Everton) and Maguire from Hull (not Leicester). These are players who proved themself in the EPL. No need for them to sign for a midlevel club when they have already shown they can be better than that. Everyone knew how good Maguire was when Leicester signed him, but we want to wait until he plays for them for a year and has a good world cup before we make an offer. So instead of getting him for 20m, now if we want him we have to pay 70m. We should be acting sooner...
Exactly,this food chain talk is mostly nonsense. A year with Leicester or Everton in the PL isn’t nessecarilly worth an extra 50-70 million for the same player. If the scouting is good enough the player comes in early and competes to get into the squad or goes out on loan or stays at the selling club for an extra season. Ricarlison and Maguire would have been good signings. There have been lots of better “cheap” transfers for low wages that have worked out far better than our top of the food chain BS approach. All our big expensive players are making mistakes and doing the basics wrong. Maybe everything we know about the food chain is wrong and some sensible scouting and management may have us back where we belong rather than mindlessly continuing to do what has brought us down to this level. Fergie’s United would be in for these kinds of players before they made the big move.

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Because our order in the food chain is to be the 2nd team in the EPL to sign him, not the first. We don't have a good record for signing players straight out of Brazil, but once they have a taste for the EPL and if they do well, that's when we should sign them. We would still pay a premium for the player, but not as much as we would after a team like Everton signs him on what was a big money deal for them...
Us being the second team in the PL to sign him depends on what he does at the first. If we are looking for a player to go straight into our starting XI and lead the line, then that player needs to have done more than Richarlison did for Watford last season, and our competition should be from better clubs than Everton. I saw no such scramble for Richarlison’s services at the top. There was more top interest when he was a £10m punt BEFORE Watford, but after that the same clubs didn’t see him worth spending £50m for based on what he did. He had about 3 good months. If he only has 3 good months THIS season at Everton too, then no big clubs will be knocking on their door to pay the £90m it will take to get him either. If he DOES keep it up though and ends on 20 goals, then he’s done enough to get Manchester United’s interest that he can come in and be the man straight away. He will also get the interest of other clubs who occupy a similar place in the food chain to us.

I didn’t see enough last season to justify a real top club going after him for top money personally.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Us being the second team in the PL to sign him depends on what he does at the first. If we are looking for a player to go straight into our starting XI and lead the line, then that player needs to have done more than Richarlison did for Watford last season, and our competition should be from better clubs than Everton. I saw no such scramble for Richarlison’s services at the top. There was more top interest when he was a £10m punt BEFORE Watford, but after that the same clubs didn’t see him worth spending £50m for based on what he did. He had about 3 good months. If he only has 3 good months THIS season at Everton too, then no big clubs will be knocking on their door to pay the £90m it will take to get him either. If he DOES keep it up though and ends on 20 goals, then he’s done enough to get Manchester United’s interest that he can come in and be the man straight away. He will also get the interest of other clubs who occupy a similar place in the food chain to us.

I didn’t see enough last season to justify a real top club going after him for top money personally.
So what you're saying is that we shouldn't sign a player until they become a 20 goal scorer. Nevermind recognizing talent and seeing potential in a player and let them make their name for them self at United. We should let them make their name somewhere else and then pay over the top for them. Imagine if after that friendly with Lisbon SAF said "he only scored 3 goals in 25 games last year. Let's wait and see and maybe sign him next year"

SATA

I think he's quite good. Physical, can play and an eye for goal. Can see why Marco Silva bought him twice, and probably the third time when he eventually goes to manage another club

Thiagoal

A player with the correct mentality and skill to match! Would have been bought from Watford if SAF were in charge

El Jefe

Works hard and scores some goals.
That's all we ask of Martial. While Tony has more natural talent, Richarlison is a player that you know will work hard on improving his game year on year. His manager has played him at LW, CF and RW and no one makes excuses for him he just gets on with it and tries to help the team as best as possible.

He's very rough around the edges but I won't be surprised if he has a Mane like effect in a few seasons if he makes the step up.

Sylar

Btw bless souness for bringing up the dangerous play excuse when no United fans were even thinking of it

I reckon richarlison can get better with better players around him to learn from and improve with

Ekeke

That's all we ask of Martial. While Tony has more natural talent, Richarlison is a player that you know will work hard on improving his game year on year. His manager has played him at LW, CF and RW and no one makes excuses for him he just gets on with it and tries to help the team as best as possible.

He's very rough around the edges but I won't be surprised if he has a Mane like effect in a few seasons if he makes the step up.
I kinda agree. He's better at doing the basics than Martial is. Martial is inconsistent

Kapardin

We were likely playing Europa League next season and so should be making shrewd buys rather than aiming for the likes of Sancho who will want CL.

Richarlison, Neves and Bruno Fernandes are the sort of players who can be convinced to join us and could instantly solve many of our problems. But apart from Bruno, I'm not sure the club is even interested in the other two.

Welbeckham

We were likely playing Europa League next season and so should be making shrewd buys rather than aiming for the likes of Sancho who will want CL.

Richarlison, Neves and Bruno Fernandes are the sort of players who can be convinced to join us and could instantly solve many of our problems. But apart from Bruno, I'm not sure the club is even interested in the other two.
Everton paid something like 35m£ rising up to 50m£ for him just last summer, he’s scored 13 league goals and gotten into Brazil NT since that, so he probably wouldn’t be any cheaper than the likes of Sancho.

EDIT: Didn’t realize there was literally the same thing said a couple of posts earlier on this page.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Lots of talent but needs to be far more consistant before a CL club looks at him.

Second season running he's disappeared for a couple of months after xmas.

Kapardin

Everton paid something like 35m£ rising up to 50m£ for him just last summer, he’s scored 13 league goals and gotten into Brazil NT since that, so he probably wouldn’t be any cheaper than the likes of Sancho.

EDIT: Didn’t realize there was literally the same thing said a couple of posts earlier on this page.
I wasn't talking about price. Obviously he would cost a lot. I was talking about the fact that he would be more willing to move from Everton to us even if we don't offer CL as opposed to Sancho for instance.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
I'd like him at United but he would be too expensive right now considering his inconsistency.

If I was a player I would insist on a reasonable sale clause in my contract.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Wouldn't mind a straight swap for Lukaku.
:lol: He will cost around Lukaku money if we sell him considering how much we paid but Lukakus value has declined a lot due to this season.

To my surprise I thought he was much older than he is.I had him down as 25/26.

As we all know with Rashford consistency will be up and down due to age and inexperience and the same very much applies to Richarlison. Now if we can bring in the Everton forward I think that's a good starting block for a potentially good strike partnership that can develop,grow and be a consistent threat for seasons to come.

I would be content with this potential move.