Television Ricky Gervais' Golden Globes Speech

Jaap

Absolutely, they are fair game.

I agree, this was (or certainly felt) unecessary but you could say the same about his gag about Scorsese and theme parks and that was really funny! Even Di Niro laughed at that one.
Because it‘s true, he even said it himself in the audience.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Why is a 22 year old better than a 32 year old?
Well the obvious answer is purely physical rather than personality.

Obviously it’s subjective but there’s a reason that models have their peak years between the ages of 18 and 30.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I'm sorry where did you read the part where I said that?
I must've genuinely really misunderstood what you were saying? As I read the conversation, the focus was on Di Caprio's preference for younger ladies, none of them older than 25 according to that chart, and you said we'd all do the same. So his preference for young women is something we all share, and by implication, younger women are simply better than older women in some significant way. That doesn't quite resonate with me so I was trying to see what it meant.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I must've genuinely really misunderstood what you were saying? As I read the conversation, the focus was on Di Caprio's preference for younger ladies, none of them older than 25 according to that chart, and you said we'd all do the same. So his preference for young women is something we all share, and by implication, younger women are simply better than older women in some significant way. That doesn't quite resonate with me so I was trying to see what it meant.
My point wasn't specifically about younger women but the fact that he's dated so many models, actresses and supermodels and can continue to do so well into his 40's. It was also a bit of a tongue in cheek comment, not sure why you're trying to turn it into some psycho-sexist bollocks.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
not sure why you're trying to turn it into some psycho-sexist bollocks.
He hasn't even started. Allow me...

Why is a 22 year old better than a 32 year old?
The 22 year olds often lack relationship experience and life experience in general which makes them easier to manipulate and control. Thirty two year olds are more likely to stick up for themselves and have often already dated abusive men and are more able to see the warning signs.

Why have a relationship of equals based on respect, when you can treat your partner like a pet that you feck and when she complains about your behaviour you just call her a crazy controlling bitch and she blames herself?

Not a comment on all age gap relationships, by any means... But older people who exclusively date those whose brains haven't even finished developing are sus as feck.

DOTA

Oh, and Gervais is a tedious prick who's gonna end up pandering to his reactionary right wing fanbase more and more as he attempts to stay in the public eye without producing any work that merits attention.

Brwned

My point wasn't specifically about younger women but the fact that he's dated so many models, actresses and supermodels and can continue to do so well into his 40's. It was also a bit of a tongue in cheek comment, not sure why you're trying to turn it into some psycho-sexist bollocks.
I don't know why you're getting upset about it. The focus of the conversation was completely different to the point you made, so you can see why it was open to misinterpretation. If it's models rather than young women it's a totally different comment.

Don't you think it's a bit weird that he's only ever dated women 25 or under?

My general experience is women of the age he dates are often very insecure, and that makes its way into the bedroom, so whatever beauty bonus that comes with dating young supermodels is instantly negated by that. A decade later and they might look worse by modern beauty standards but the confidence and self awareness they have makes it far a better experience for both. And that's if we're keeping it to the superficial, physical level.

I say this as someone who recently had a fling with a 23 year old, so I'm not coming it at from some kind of supposed moral highground. But she did feel very young, in more ways than one, and on some level I found it a little...I dunno, off-putting? And I'm only 28. If I wanted to do that when I'm in my 50s, I'd find it a little tragic.

Massive Spanner

I don't know why you're getting upset about it. The focus of the conversation was completely different to the point you made, so you can see why it was open to misinterpretation. If it's models rather than young women it's a totally different comment.

Don't you think it's a bit weird that he's only ever dated women 25 or under?

My general experience is women of the age he dates are often very insecure, and that makes its way into the bedroom, so whatever beauty bonus that comes with dating young supermodels is instantly negated by that. A decade later and they might look worse by modern beauty standards but the confidence and self awareness they have makes it far a better experience for both. And that's if we're keeping it to the superficial, physical level.

I say this as someone who recently had a fling with a 23 year old, so I'm not coming it at from some kind of supposed moral highground. But she did feel very young, in more ways than one, and on some level I found it a little...I dunno, off-putting? And I'm only 28. If I wanted to do that when I'm in my 50s, I'd find it a little tragic.
I'm not getting upset about it, I actually find it hilarious that you're taking a throwaway joke so seriously.
He hasn't even started. Allow me...

The 22 year olds often lack relationship experience and life experience in general which makes them easier to manipulate and control. Thirty two year olds are more likely to stick up for themselves and have often already dated abusive men and are more able to see the warning signs.

Why have a relationship of equals based on respect, when you can treat your partner like a pet that you feck and when she complains about your behaviour you just call her a crazy controlling bitch and she blames herself?

Not a comment on all age gap relationships, by any means... But older people who exclusively date those whose brains haven't even finished developing are sus as feck.
I refer you to the above. My partner is (basically) the same age as me, I wouldn't actually date someone ten years younger, Christ lads, get a grip :lol:

DOTA

I'm not getting upset about it, I actually find it hilarious that you're taking a throwaway joke so seriously.

I refer you to the above. My partner is the same age as me, I wouldn't actually date someone ten years younger, Christ lads, get a grip :lol:
I'm just bashing Leo. Your post merely gave me a convenient in.

Brwned

I refer you to the above. My partner is (basically) the same age as me, I wouldn't actually date someone ten years younger, Christ lads, get a grip :lol:
I don't doubt it was said in jest but it looks to me like there was a hint of truth in it that you backed away from immediately. At the end of the day there's a reason that passes for good lads' banter, and it comes from a creepy place

Massive Spanner

I'm just bashing Leo. Your post merely gave me a convenient in.
Who wouldn't bash Leo amirite?
I don't doubt it was said in jest but it looks to me like there was a hint of truth in it that you backed away from immediately. At the end of the day there's a reason that passes for good lads' banter, and it comes from a creepy place
Sorry, I can't hear you from your high horse. You were probably expecting me to double down so you could post some big lecture that shows how modern and in sync you are with women. I'm sorry I'm such a let down.

Brwned

Who wouldn't bash Leo amirite?

Sorry, I can't hear you from your high horse. You were probably expecting me to double down so you could post some big lecture that shows how modern and in sync you are with women. I'm sorry I'm such a let down.
Definitely speaking to the wrong guy there. Like I said, just had a fling with a young woman for purely hedonistic reasons. Pretty sure my friends wouldn't describe me as a particularly moral person, and I'm cool with that. I didn't really expect anything from you, I was genuinely interested in your view on why younger women were better

Massive Spanner

Definitely speaking to the wrong guy there. Like I said, just had a fling with a young woman for purely hedonistic reasons. Pretty sure my friends wouldn't describe me as a particularly moral person, and I'm cool with that. I didn't really expect anything from you, I was genuinely interested in your view on why younger women were better
You're the one who fecked a 23 year old mate, you tell me.

Brwned

You're the one who fecked a 23 year old mate, you tell me.
All else being equal, a woman in their early 30s seems better to me than a woman in their early 20s. That's been my experience. Hence the question.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Oh, and Gervais is a tedious prick who's gonna end up pandering to his reactionary right wing fanbase more and more as he attempts to stay in the public eye without producing any work that merits attention.
After Life was excellent.

Sweet Square

Pretty sure Leonardo DiCaprio has known his current partner (Camila Morrone 22)since she was 11 years old.

The guy is a bit weird.

Brwned

Anyone who has seen pussy of 22 year old and 32 year old woman will know the answer to this.
Do you somehow suspect that Grinner hasn't seen a 22 year old and a 32 year old in his lifetime?

hear hear!

I suspect this is more a reflection of LDC's immaturity when it comes to women more than anything else.
Best one night stand I've had is with a 31 year old Catalan woman, back when I was 23, and best sex I've had on a regular basis is with a now 33 year old Norwegian lady. It's pretty easy for a man to figure out what he likes. For women it takes a bit more time, according to them. And what's better for them ends up being better for you, unless you're completely disconnected to the person you're sharing the most intimate experience with.

If what defines your experience is how her lady bits look I'd suggest you're missing out on some of the more fun parts.

Last edited:

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Do you somehow suspect that Grinner hasn't seen a 22 year old and a 32 year old in his lifetime?
I'd add that the pussy is probably the last thing that I looked at when being with the women in my life. Such talk is normally made by those who haven't seen much themselves.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I'd add that the pussy is probably the last thing that I looked at when being with the women in my life. Such talk is normally made by those who haven't seen much themselves.
I kept getting annoyed with myself because my nob kept obstructing my view. Felt a bit gay trying to get off to that after a while.

Brwned

Yep. It's the kind of thing you can understand a bunch of teenagers fist-bumping over but it seems odd to me that some people hold onto that idea, even as "banter". Cocks and vaginas are pretty ugly, until your brain decides it's baby-time and plays a kind of visual trick and makes things attractive...but I don't think I've ever found a "beautiful" pussy, regardless of age. I'm not exactly down there admiring the view. Actually vision is probably the least important sense once you get into it.

Classical Mechanic

Yep. It's the kind of thing you can understand a bunch of teenagers fist-bumping over but it seems odd to me that some people hold onto that idea, even as "banter". Cocks and vaginas are pretty ugly, until your brain decides it's baby-time and plays a kind of visual trick and makes things attractive...but I don't think I've ever found a "beautiful" pussy, regardless of age. I'm not exactly down there admiring the view. Actually vision is probably the least important sense once you get into it.
22-25 year olds are generally at their aesthetic peak by most consensus, however.