Television Ricky Gervais' Golden Globes Speech

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Yep. It's the kind of thing you can understand a bunch of teenagers fist-bumping over but it seems odd to me that some people hold onto that idea, even as "banter". Cocks and vaginas are pretty ugly, until your brain decides it's baby-time and plays a kind of visual trick and makes things attractive...but I don't think I've ever found a "beautiful" pussy, regardless of age. I'm not exactly down there admiring the view. Actually vision is probably the least important sense once you get into it.
You should go on safari mate.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Yep. It's the kind of thing you can understand a bunch of teenagers fist-bumping over but it seems odd to me that some people hold onto that idea, even as "banter". Cocks and vaginas are pretty ugly, until your brain decides it's baby-time and plays a kind of visual trick and makes things attractive...but I don't think I've ever found a "beautiful" pussy, regardless of age. I'm not exactly down there admiring the view. Actually vision is probably the least important sense once you get into it.
The hint of pussy rather than it exposed in all it's 'glory' is far more alluring to me. I always preferred Playboy to Hustler.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
22-25 year olds are generally at their aesthetic peak by most consensus, however.
No doubt. The question is how much does that aesthetic beauty actually matter in the bedroom (I'd say a little) and how does it stack up to those other things (I'd say not very well). No doubt I'd like to wake up to someone like Blake Lively every day. But all things considered, if I was to set someone as an idol of sexual conquests, it wouldn't be the guy who only likes women 25 or below. I just considered it a different set of priorities and tried to explore what those were. It's a touchy subject though, I get that.

You should go on safari mate.
:lol: if only I could be cool on the Internet, I'd insult these anonymous strangers and get other anonymous strangers to make me feel good about it. Instead all I can do is try to have real conversations with these anonymous people and hope that's more interesting than banter, otherwise, somehow I have to cope with being on the wrong end of that. What a world

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Do you somehow suspect that Grinner hasn't seen a 22 year old and a 32 year old in his lifetime?
I don't really care what Grinner thinks, I would probably trust Leonardo di Caprio on this one more than Grinner because Leo can have any girl he likes and yet he opts for pretty young girls. Like probably 95% of men would. Pretty sure Grinner moans about his wife/gf all the time in the Women thread. I doubt it would be the case if she was 22. I don't know single single 40 year old who wouldn't pick young girl over ten years older girl. I wouldn't mind if my gf was 5 years younger, and I am pretty sure she wouldn't mind me either.

Pussy is just a metaphor for her looks and basically her personality in some cases too, you should have figured it out.

Classical Mechanic

No doubt. The question is how much does that aesthetic beauty actually matter in the bedroom (I'd say a little) and how does it stack up to those other things (I'd say not very well). No doubt I'd like to wake up to someone like Blake Lively every day. But all things considered, if I was to set someone as an idol of sexual conquests, it wouldn't be the guy who only likes women 25 or below. I just considered it a different set of priorities and tried to explore what those were. It's a touchy subject though, I get that.
It’s not a dating strategy I’d follow if I was in Leo‘s shoes but he’s probably just a shallow individual who likes exceptionally attractive women on his arm. He always goes for the supermodel look too.

Brwned

I don't really care what Grinner thinks, I would probably trust Leonardo di Caprio on this one more than Grinner because Leo can have any girl he likes and yet he opts for pretty young girls. Like probably 95% of men would. Pretty sure Grinner moans about his wife/gf all the time in the Women thread. I doubt it would be the case if she was 22. I don't know single single 40 year old who wouldn't pick young girl over ten years older girl. I wouldn't mind if my gf was 5 years younger, and I am pretty sure she wouldn't mind me either.

Pussy is just a metaphor for her looks and basically her personality in some cases too, you should have figured it out.
So when you say a 22 year old has a better pussy than a 32 year old woman, it means she has a better personality. And as all wise men know, 22 year old women's personalities are better than 32 year old women's. That's a new one for me, I've got to say.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
aesthetic beauty actually matter in the bedroom (I'd say a little)
Well you are definitely wrong on this one. There is so little a woman can do during sex if she is unattractive enough.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
So when you say a 22 year old has a better pussy than a 32 year old woman, it means she has a better personality. And as all wise men know, 22 year old women's personalities are better than 32 year old women's. That's a new one for me, I've got to say.
It definitely is, for people like Leo, or basically anyone who doesn't want a long term relationship and marriage with that girl.

There's also many things personality wise better with 22 year old girls than 32 year old girls, you would be surprised.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal

I think we have this one sussed out!

:lol:

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Oh, and Gervais is a tedious prick who's gonna end up pandering to his reactionary right wing fanbase more and more as he attempts to stay in the public eye without producing any work that merits attention.
He hates right wing folk.

He’s produced some of his best work in the last decade, within the last 24 months.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

You sound like a truly garbage person

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I haven't made 60k in my entire life, chief. :D

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Hooray, I'm rich in spam!

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Do you somehow suspect that Grinner hasn't seen a 22 year old and a 32 year old in his lifetime?

Best one night stand I've had is with a 31 year old Catalan woman, back when I was 23, and best sex I've had on a regular basis is with a now 33 year old Norwegian lady. It's pretty easy for a man to figure out what he likes. For women it takes a bit more time, according to them. And what's better for them ends up being better for you, unless you're completely disconnected to the person you're sharing the most intimate experience with.

If what defines your experience is how her lady bits look I'd suggest you're missing out on some of the more fun parts.
Feck off, I've read your posts on this forum, you're a virgin

InfiniteBoredom

This thread has taken a weird, weird turn.

Anyway, Gervais’s speech feels empty if I’m being honest. It was fun the first couple of time but pretty clear by this point that neither he nor the audience care that much about those verbal jabs, it’s more like an annual thing now when they turn up and sit through a 10 minute roast to show the world how self aware they are.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I wouldn't mind if my gf was 5 years younger, and I am pretty sure she wouldn't mind me either.
Typical MK fan. Does your 17 year old girlfriend get a discount at home games?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
@Brwned are you playing Devil's Advocate here or do you believe wholeheartedly in what you're saying?

I don't think there's a right or wrong answer to the question posed, but I do think you've chosen to look at it through a very narrow lens.

For the most part, younger people as a whole are less jaded and battered by life - in turn the energy they give off can be revitalising, refreshing, re-energising, nourishing... you get the picture. In many aspects that certainty of purpose and belief they are 'special' and will change the world and all the other rhetoric those in their early 20's swear by is at its most powerful and radiant. Essentially, life hasn't fecked them yet and they are all the better for it.

Generally, as you age, you might become more successful, but you also become more cynical, more bitter and certainly not as 'fun' for no good reason. I try my damnedest to not let my world view and "grown" outlook weigh down younger people in that age range... life will do that to them eventually, so in the meantime it's paramount they have their fun, go on the journey of self-discovery and have an organic vitality to them that is, in its own way, infectious if not married to some of the more vapid traits one might expect of someone in that age range, which is where finding the less naive or young (as in poorly developed) comes into play.

Left to my own devices, I can hyper analyse and deconstruct people, things and life to levels I'd rather not and I know having uplifting people around me way lays a good portion of my cynicism. On the superficial level, one might argue women are in their 'prime' at the age Di Caprio seems to hone in on, but perhaps there is more to it than you're giving credit for and there is an element of him siphoning their vitality to keep himself young and alive in spirit, or even keeping darker parts of himself at bay. To the broader question you asked, surely you can see why some men would seek those aspects out?

I saw someone else put forth that they are easier to influence, empty vessels with a lack of emotional development, but that certainly isn't assured. There are plenty of women in their late 20's, early 30's who are dire representatives of adulthood by virtue of being in one, maybe two long-term relationships their entire adult lives where they've led a sheltered existence and don't have half the life experience of others a good few years younger than themselves. You also put forth sexual development, but a younger woman may have been in more relationships, or had more jollies than an older one and picked up more tricks, skills and knowledge of self than the older one, so it's not the best marker to place outside of general terms.

The topic seems more multi-layered than it has been made, if you really start to break it down. Di Caprio may well just be a superficial, base individual who likes pretty, dumb and naive youngsters... there also might be more to it than initially meets the eye, he says trying to leave his cynicism at the door.

Brwned

@Brwned are you playing Devil's Advocate here or do you believe wholeheartedly in what you're saying?

I don't think there's a right or wrong answer to the question posed, but I do think you've chosen to look at it through a very narrow lens.

For the most part, younger people as a whole are less jaded and battered by life - in turn the energy they give off can be revitalising, refreshing, re-energising, nourishing... you get the picture. In many aspects that certainty of purpose and belief they are 'special' and will change the world and all the other rhetoric those in their early 20's swear by is at its most powerful and radiant. Essentially, life hasn't fecked them yet and they are all the better for it.

Generally, as you age, you might become more successful, but you also become more cynical, more bitter and certainly not as 'fun' for no good reason. I try my damnedest to not let my world view and "grown" outlook weigh down younger people in that age range... life will do that to them eventually, so in the meantime it's paramount they have their fun, go on the journey of self-discovery and have an organic vitality to them that is, in its own way, infectious if not married to some of the more vapid traits one might expect of someone in that age range, which is where finding the less naive or young (as in poorly developed) comes into play.

Left to my own devices, I can hyper analyse and deconstruct people, things and life to levels I'd rather not and I know having uplifting people around me way lays a good portion of my cynicism. On the superficial level, one might argue women are in their 'prime' at the age Di Caprio seems to hone in on, but perhaps there is more to it than you're giving credit for and there is an element of him siphoning their vitality to keep himself young and alive in spirit, or even keeping darker parts of himself at bay. To the broader question you asked, surely you can see why some men would seek those aspects out?

I saw someone else put forth that they are easier to influence, empty vessels with a lack of emotional development, but that certainly isn't assured. There are plenty of women in their late 20's, early 30's who are dire representatives of adulthood by virtue of being in one, maybe two long-term relationships their entire adult lives where they've led a sheltered existence and don't have half the life experience of others a good few years younger than themselves. You also put forth sexual development, but a younger woman may have been in more relationships, or had more jollies than an older one and picked up more tricks, skills and knowledge of self than the older one, so it's not the best marker to place outside of general terms.

The topic seems more multi-layered than it has been made, if you really start to break it down. Di Caprio may well just be a superficial, base individual who likes pretty, dumb and naive youngsters... there also might be more to it than initially meets the eye, he says trying to leave his cynicism at the door.
I didn't say anything of those things weren't valid! The only opinion offered to me was young women are better pussy, and some typical macho one-upmanship. I didn't know why people had this idea that by default younger women were better, besides "better pussy", which is why I asked. And when that got nowhere I just offered my own view, to try and open the discussion up - I definitely wasn't putting forward as a prescriptive viewpoint.

I'm in my late 20s and don't quite think it's true that most people / women my age or a few years older are cynical and bitter. Although I do find most British people lean towards that by default so it might be true of British women. But I don't think that would be true of somewhere like London, with the broader mix of cultures, the more transient group of people and the general lifestyle.

I might be in denial but the notion that you become cynical and bitter as you get older, which comes with the implication you have no control over that, you just passively slip into it...I don't buy it. I see a lot of people in that mindset but from my very limited perspective, I think that's because of the choices they made and the agency that people chose to surrender for comfort, stability etc.

In any case, all I can say is I've not (yet) had that need, so can't truly understand the appeal. But I get the gist of it, and on the face of it I can see why it's valued. However the way you describe it does sound a bit...vampiric. This is pretty much the premise of vampires right: "siphoning their vitality to keep himself young and alive in spirit, or even keeping darker parts of himself at bay". And so even if that is a relatively normal desire, I don't think it's something to be celebrated as an ideal of sexual conquests.

EDIT: I do agree about the transformative effects other people can have on you, and how you can get energised by that, btw. I just don't see that as something young women exclusively possess. But then again I think of people in their early 30s as young in the grand scheme of things. With significantly greater life expectancy and all of the factors that contribute to the extended adolescence associated with millennials, I reckon we should update our idea of youth by now. But of course there are very different ways to spin that.

Last edited: