Right Winger... Who do we go for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

United Pro

The kid's already the most valuable player in the Bundesliga: https://www.transfermarkt.com/1-bundesliga/marktwerte/wettbewerb/L1
Transfermarkt can be quite hit and miss at times when it comes to player values. For instance, it's heavily dependent on the team's performance. So, Pulisic's value went up recently even though he's been consistently on the bench, whilst Martial's value went down this season due to Dortmund's and United's respective places.

Saying that, I think Sancho is a top talent who's in incredible form currently but I agree with one of the previous comments in that Dembele (even at Rennes) seemed the bigger talent.

L1nk

We should take advantage of Sancho's emergence to get Pulisic, kid is still a top talent who has got natural wing play but can also play on the inside, he would fit well into any attacking system including Pochettino's. Is he the finished article? No, but, he has the talent and he has the commercial aspect, it makes too much sense not to get him

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
We should take advantage of Sancho's emergence to get Pulisic, kid is still a top talent who has got natural wing play but can also play on the inside, he would fit well into any attacking system including Pochettino's. Is he the finished article? No, but, he has the talent and he has the commercial aspect, it makes too much sense not to get him
I'd rather we go for a more finished article right now.
Pulisic hasn't really done anything to show he's this massive talent everyone talks about.

Andersons Dietician

That explains that :D but still Sancho is pretty darn good himself. Don't think Dembele will ever be sold by Barca even with all his disciplinary issues. Immensely talented player though.

I'm all for that and I think UEFA will finally get something done since now they're being pressured by other big clubs into action after those leaked papers.
Oh he does look very good but personally I want to see another season out of him he’s never left me thinking wow now this is a player like you get with some young talents that are just undeniable.

I also don’t think Barca will sell Dembele he’s just too good of a talent and it would make no sense so that much like Mbappe is a bit of a pipe dream. So we will eventually get someone just not sure who and what type of player depending on the next manager.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
but I agree with one of the previous comments in that Dembele (even at Rennes) seemed the bigger talent.
12 goals and 5 assists in 15/16 for Rennes in 2111mins (he was 18 that year).
7 goals and 10 assists this season for Sancho in 1350mins.

Granted Sancho has better players around him at Dortmund but he's a beast imo. He's got that swagger of a player who knows he's going to end up being the best of the best.

United Pro

12 goals and 5 assists in 15/16 for Rennes in 2111mins (he was 18 that year).
7 goals and 10 assists this season for Sancho in 1350mins.

Granted Sancho has better players around him at Dortmund but he's a beast imo. He's got that swagger of a player who knows he's going to end up being the best of the best.
I mentioned it previously, Sancho is in incredible form and the number of goals and assists he's got this season so far is incredible. But you've said it yourself in that Sancho is playing with incomparably better players currently than Dembele was around at Rennes. Also, I'm basing my opinion off what I've seen of the two and not only off stats.

From what I've seen of Sancho, he looks like a technically better, more skillful but less polished version of Sanchez playing on the right. He's reasonably quick but often not quick enough to get past defenders in a foot race when dribbling. Dembele, on the other hand, has the raw pace to regularly dribble past 2/3 defenders, whilst also being technically sound. It's just my opinion that Dembele looked more talented than Sancho at the same age but that's not to take anything away from Sancho's ability.

Last edited:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I mentioned it previously, Sancho is in incredible form and the number of goals and assists he's got this season so far is incredible. But you've said it yourself in that Sancho is playing with incomparably better players currently than Dembele was around at Rennes. Also, I'm basing my opinion off what I've seen of the two and not only off stats.

From what I've seen of Sancho, he looks like a technically better, more skillful but less polished version of Sanchez playing on the right. He's reasonably quick but often not quick enough to get past defenders in a foot race when dribbling. Dembele, on the other hand, has the raw pace to regularly dribble past 2/3 defenders, whilst also being technical sound. It's just my opinion that Dembele looked more talented than Sancho at the same age but that's not to take anything away from Sancho's ability.
I think the opposite myself. Sancho is the more skillful and creative player. I'd move heaven and earth for a talent like that. Dembele was and still is very reliant on his speed.

AgentP

Dembele or Sancho would be the best option. But both would cost over 100m. We'll probably look for a cheaper option with so many of our big signings not working out.

AgentP

Play Sanchez in the role Lingard did the other night.
I thought we had bought him for that role. Jose absolutely refused to even consider this as an option. But I think Solskjaer might be more open to the idea. We can see how it works out and then decide if we need a RW in the summer.

Varun

Staff
I thought we had bought him for that role. Jose absolutely refused to even consider this as an option. But I think Solskjaer might be more open to the idea. We can see how it works out and then decide if we need a RW in the summer.
So did most I think. It was baffling that we bought him to play on the left when Mahrez was available the same window to fill the gaping hole on the right. Anyways, what's done is done

United Pro

I think the opposite myself. Sancho is the more skillful and creative player. I'd move heaven and earth for a talent like that. Dembele was and still is very reliant on his speed.
As a winger, pace is very important and imo Sancho lacks that top level pace that a lot of top tier players have. I still think Sancho will be a cracking player and I'd be incredibly happy if we were to sign him.

buckooo1978

when you look at City's creative options we are still well behind

Sane, Silva, Mahrez, B Silva, Sterling, De Bruyne all supporting their strikers

we need to address CB and a more creative player would be great in place of Matic.

we won't get them but we really could do with 2 wide players minimum and some variety in the way they play

Maybe Dembele/Sancho and someone like Fekir

if you look at Zaha it does make me wonder how Depay would do in a true attacking team

ForestRGoinUp

Some club in the PL would buy Lingard for 50M. Mata could fetch 20(maybe that’s generous w 1 year on contract). Just be ruthless and sell them both for a legitimate stud.

RuudTom83

There is no Beckham style player anymore, is fine to wish for a pacey tricky winger but I’d prefer a player who could actually cross a decent ball.

The left sided trio of Pog, Martial and Shaw is lethal when they click but I’d rather have something a bit different on the right.

L1nk

Some club in the PL would buy Lingard for 50M. Mata could fetch 20(maybe that’s generous w 1 year on contract). Just be ruthless and sell them both for a legitimate stud.
Nobody is paying 50 million for JLingz :lol:, no mid to low table club would realistically be able to afford that on one player, and no top club in any league would buy him because he isn't that good, Barcelona or Bayern Munich aren't going to come swooping in with a 50 mill for this guy, we're stuck with him, especially when we offered him a stupidly high paid contract

Patrick08

Nobody is paying 50 million for JLingz :lol:, no mid to low table club would realistically be able to afford that on one player, and no top club in any league would buy him because he isn't that good, Barcelona or Bayern Munich aren't going to come swooping in with a 50 mill for this guy, we're stuck with him, especially when we offered him a stupidly high paid contract
Well Everton paid nearly that amount for Sigurdson and Richardlison.

GledTheRed

We aren't exactly stuck with him, 100k a week is fairly moderate for a player of Lingard's considerable talents.

ForestRGoinUp

We aren't exactly stuck with him, 100k a week is fairly moderate for a player of Lingard's considerable talents.
Yea hes not bad but he’s just the type of player you sell to fund a higher quality replacement. Don’t see us selling Rashford Martial Sanchez so Lingard would definitely fetch a good number. Lingard and Lukaku are the ones I’d sell to revamp the attack. And yes I get what Lingard brings, but it’s easily and cheaply replaceable.

GledTheRed

Yea hes not bad but he’s just the type of player you sell to fund a higher quality replacement. Don’t see us selling Rashford Martial Sanchez so Lingard would definitely fetch a good number. Lingard and Lukaku are the ones I’d sell to revamp the attack. And yes I get what Lingard brings, but it’s easily and cheaply replaceable.
I'd keep Lingard and sell Lukaku, Rojo, Jones and release Valencia and bin off Sanchez.

Red Devil's Advocate

Glad that none of us is friends with Woodward.

Lukaku has to stay. With the right manager he is the real deal. Will kill the opponent in the bottom half of the table like he has been doing for last 5 years. Shouldn't be sold at all. Similarly replacing someone with the footballing brains of Lingard is gonna take a fortune in this market. Lad and his contributions on a football pitch are seriously underappreciated amongst some of us fans. To put things in perspective, someone like Fred with no experience in PL cost us 60 Million and then there is always the risk of them not settling properly.

Sanchez on the right should be given a shot for the remaining season and we should give more game time to Chong and Pereira.

Last edited:

HDRubens

Supports
PSG
Since that right spot needs an upgrade ( Right back & advanced right winger both needed) you have to check out Youcef Atal from french ligue 1 club Nice he is an explosive young RB with great pace and amazing dribbling skills, he is only 22 and surely one of the world most promising prospect for the RB position.

Patrick Vierra and the Nice club director Jean Pierre Riviere have been amazed by the young lad, Bein sport disclosed a dressing room moment after a game where Riviere was telling him quote :" if you work hard you will be the best in the World".

This young lad will surely end up at Dortmund though as they have a great eye for talent and Lucien Favre the ex Nice manager is keeping an eye on him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andersons Dietician

It’s amazing how different opinions can be, because for me Sancho wouldn’t even be fit to wash Dembeles boots, for me Sancho is nowhere near Dembele at all and Dembeles dribbiling is other worldly some of the control and things he can do and the speed he can do it at are mind boggling and best of all he can pick a pass. He along with Aubemyang were breaking Bundesliga records.

Sancho is talented, very talented but nah he’s not as talented as Dembele is.

Gerald G

Since that right spot needs an upgrade ( Right back & advanced right winger both needed) you have to check out Youcef Atal from french ligue 1 club Nice he is an explosive young RB with great pace and amazing dribbling skills, he is only 22 and surely one of the world most promising prospect for the RB position.

Patrick Vierra and the Nice club director Jean Pierre Riviere have been amazed by the young lad, Bein sport disclosed a dressing room moment after a game where Riviere was telling him quote :" if you work hard you will be the best in the World".

This young lad will surely end up at Dortmund though as they have a great eye for talent and Lucien Favre the ex Nice manager is keeping an eye on him.
While you could be correct, I don't see us going after another young RB after Dalot.

Sancho would be nice but I don't see Dortmund selling him just yet. As for Dembele, that might be possible, but it would require a hefty bid and I doubt we'd be willing to go to those astronomical figures.

Douglas Costa sounds like a more realistic option and I would have previously said Pulisic but I've been unimpressed with him. I can't really think of many realistic right wingers that I would like and if not I guess we've got to look internally. Potentially Sanchez and possibly Chong coming up? I'd like to see how some of these players will perform playing on the right wing now with a change of management.

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
Nicolas Pepe a right winger from Lille is having his breakthrough season, currently second topscorer in Ligue 1 behind Mbappe. I made a thread about him recently. He is a pacy physical left footed winger (cut in type). He enjoins interest from the likes of Barcelona, Arsenal and City.

Dan_F

Why do we need to sell homegrown academy products to fund more purchases? We have plenty of money. Lingard is a fantastic option off the bench, and would be far happier than Sanchez filling that role.

HDRubens

Supports
PSG
While you could be correct, I don't see us going after another young RB after Dalot.

Sancho would be nice but I don't see Dortmund selling him just yet. As for Dembele, that might be possible, but it would require a hefty bid and I doubt we'd be willing to go to those astronomical figures.

Douglas Costa sounds like a more realistic option and I would have previously said Pulisic but I've been unimpressed with him. I can't really think of many realistic right wingers that I would like and if not I guess we've got to look internally. Potentially Sanchez and possibly Chong coming up? I'd like to see how some of these players will perform playing on the right wing now with a change of management.
Douglas Costa is good but he could be a tricky option to consider as he lacks consistency imo, potential banana skin.

Regarding Sancho I can see Dortmund selling him for a profit, they do it with their star performers on a regular basis, buy him and utd could have a squad filled with highly talented young players, best available option out there for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.