Rio Ferdinand

redcucumber

Is MBS buying Manchester United or are you tarnishing all Saudis with the same brush?
Ey? What have United got to do with it? He's criticising people for letting Saudi off the hook and saying they are fine to be so involved in football given MBS involvement in Khashoggi's murder (among other things).

Nickelodeon

Seems like I’ve opened a pandora’s box with my thread bump here.

Back on topic, why has Rio Ferdinand posted an unprovoked attack on Carragher for his views on the Saudi league?

AFC NimbleThumb

What's wrong with Saudi oil money?
Good question. Speaking of ‘oil money’, what do Ineos make their money from again? Must be the Saudi that’s the issue cause human right seem to not apply to the communities destructed by mining in other countries.

There’s no ‘good’ option but some people sure don’t like the brown one.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty

Back on topic, why has Rio Ferdinand posted an unprovoked attack on Carragher for his views on the Saudi league?
Is it strictly unprovoked?

Carragher spent months calling Neville (and by extension all the other ex-United pundits) a hypocrite for not criticising Ole, but after being very vocal about the ills of the Saudi league, has suddenly gone very quiet now his mate has taken a job there.

GlasgowCeltic

Rio’s been salty watching Carra and CBS get rave reviews, he’s on social media too much to not be aware BT is accepted as the worst coverage in the game and he’s their top guy

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Is it strictly unprovoked?

Carragher spent months calling Neville (and by extension all the other ex-United pundits) a hypocrite for not criticising Ole, but after being very vocal about the ills of the Saudi league, has suddenly gone very quiet now his mate has taken a job there.
Carragher is shit pundit and a cnut, not sure why he gets lot of praise especially from ManUtd fans.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
He used to be decent but I can't stand him these days. MNF is just Neville and Carragher trying to one up each other.
they both come across as wankers but i reckon carragher is spiteful with it.

Kostov

How anyone can be aware of the murder of Jamal Khashoggi and still defend the Saudi's is mind boggling to me.
How people can turn on and off their moral compass is also mind boggling to me but here we are.

Simple, they're fecking idiots.
From a poster in which bio it says "supports USA", that's a bit rich of you don't you think?

Kostov

Good question. Speaking of ‘oil money’, what do Ineos make their money from again? Must be the Saudi that’s the issue cause human right seem to not apply to the communities destructed by mining in other countries.

Exactly.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
How people can turn on and off their moral compass is also mind boggling to me but here we are.

From a poster in which bio it says "supports USA", that's a bit rich of you don't you think?
..its a joke.

VP

It's amusing when people play the race card with Saudi Arabia, perhaps the most racist and sexist country in the world.

Really standing up for the downtrodden.

Glorio

Banter ... Simple as that.

He and Carragher actually get on Ok, they just like aiming little digs at each other on social media and occasionally on TV.

In one of their social media episodes (I think about Ronaldo), Rio invited Carragher to come and chat about it on Rio's channel, and he actually did. Interestingly they had a civil debate about their views on the matter, and that was that.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United

The main issue is the state aspect rather than the oil one.

People would object to any state buying the club.

Playing the race card here is absolutely absurd.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
The people who cry racism for not liking literal murderers are absolutely the lowest of the low. It's absolutely abhorrent and needs to be stamped down upon.

RuudTom83

His pop at Carragher for criticising Saudi/middle-east in the past but saying nothing about Gerrard...did he have any examples of this?

Crimson King

It's got nothing to do with race, I wouldn't want the Norwegian state buying the club either. Or trying to buy the entire league, like what has happened with Golf.

If the entire point of football just becomes part of a despotic regime's sportswashing PR machine, then that would be pretty sad.

Nickelodeon

Just as an FYI, some "brown ones" are also speaking against Qatar, Saudi and oil money.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
That's a bit of a false equivocation. I can stop watching Kevin Spacey films. It's a lot harder to stop watching United.
Well if you feel the club is totally defined by who owns it then you should stop watching it.

I don't believe a club is defined by it's owners. They come and go. It's the fans that make a club. Owners, players, managers all with different values come and go, its only the fans that matter.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Fair enough. Good for you if you view everything black and white.
I do indeed believe that murderers owning something I love is bad even if they spend lots of money.

If the local pub had the best steak and ale pie ever but also started throwing shit at my face as I ate, I certainly wouldn't leave and comment on the excellent pie.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I am genuinely 100% baffled by this post. I can not imagine living my life viewing the world in this way.
I mean he isn't wrong there. Horrible people doesn't mean they are horrible at their job or at the purpose of their job. Doesn't mean you want those people to have the job even if they'd be good for it from a purely selfish/footballing view, but that doesn't make them bad owners.

bosnian_red

I do indeed believe that murderers owning something I love is bad even if they spend lots of money.

If the local pub had the best steak and ale pie ever but also started throwing shit at my face as I ate, I certainly wouldn't leave and comment on the excellent pie.
It's a bit different isn't it? It'd be like if Messi turned out to be a serial killer. Still would be arguably the most talented footballer ever... But just with the caveat that he did a lot of bad things outside of football and he shouldn't have been allowed to showcase that

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
i just checked in on this thread to see what Rio was up to and seem to have happened upon a bloodbath !!

to quote Forrest Gump, 'The Cafe really is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get'

Last edited:

bosnian_red

That's a bit of a false equivocation. I can stop watching Kevin Spacey films. It's a lot harder to stop watching United.
It's a false equivocation for you, but there are people who are film addicts in a way that we are football addicts. It's the same thing. Not wanting an owner isn't the same as that owner being bad at their job (or the assumption here being that they'd spend so much that they would achieve their goal regardless of their competence).

AFC NimbleThumb

The main issue is the state aspect rather than the oil one.

People would object to any state buying the club.

Playing the race card here is absolutely absurd.
Yea I’m not conversing with somebody using the term ‘race card’ in 2023 but feel free to read below.
It's got nothing to do with race, I wouldn't want the Norwegian state buying the club either. Or trying to buy the entire league, like what has happened with Golf.

If the entire point of football just becomes part of a despotic regime's sportswashing PR machine, then that would be pretty sad.
Fair point, If you were to go back 7/8 months I don’t think any fan really wants to be owned by a state, British, Norwegian or Qatari & as much as that’s an issue that I hear about on here at nauseum I don’t really want the club to be a puppet for Ineos either. As for sportswashing, why do you think Ineos is strapped across the chest of Kipchoge at every race? Unfortunately we’re going to be a pawn in whoever wins game.

Being so verbally anti-Qatar because of ‘oil money’, as many in here are, but not being bothered that Ineos is literally a petro-chemical mammoth is ridiculous.

It may have nothing to do with race for you.

Just as an FYI, some "brown ones" are also speaking against Qatar, Saudi and oil money.
Indeed & ‘oil money’ meaning Ineos I take it?

FYI, not all skinfolk is kinfolk.

MegadrivePerson

His pop at Carragher for criticising Saudi/middle-east in the past but saying nothing about Gerrard...did he have any examples of this?
It's not just Gerrard, Robbie Fowler has gone over too and he's a close mate of Carragher.

RuudTom83

It's not just Gerrard, Robbie Fowler has gone over too and he's a close mate of Carragher.
Yeah but do we have any clips of Carragher slagging off the middle-east? if NOT then what is the reason for calling him out? I don't get it

Ted Lasso

"Brown ones", "race card". What is this clusterfeck of a thread?
The deep seated racism has worked it's way to the forefront of many posters since Qatar won the World Cup bid and has become more and more brazen with this United sale.

Should be instant bans but for some reason it's tolerated.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
The deep seated racism has worked it's way to the forefront of many posters since Qatar won the World Cup bid and has become more and more brazen with this United sale.

You genuinely think the issue people have with Qatar is racism?

ArbeitervonWien

I'm all against a Qatar ownership, but this is no acceptable way of "discussion"

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Do you not think it's possible that some have a race based opinion on our potential new owner and Qatar itself in a wider context? You're one of the most vocal on the cafe, even going as far as pushing exaggerated narratives pretty frequently to my eyes.... so I'm trying to work out what your point is?
If you are arguing there is no race element, then why?
If you accept a race element, why so vocal in defence of it?
If you aren't trying to defend it, why so vocal?

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Do you not think it's possible that some have a race based opinion on our potential new owner and Qatar itself in a wider context? You're one of the most vocal on the cafe, even going as far as pushing exaggerated narratives pretty frequently to my eyes.... so I'm trying to work out what your point is?
If you are arguing there is no race element, then why?
If you accept a race element, why so vocal in defence of it?
If you aren't trying to defend it, why so vocal?
I don’t think there is a race element for the most part. No - I think that’s ridiculous to put forward.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I don’t think there is a race element for the most part. No - I think that’s ridiculous to put forward.
In a day and age where the far right is being increasingly normalised within the mainstream globally, where America has just literally had a white supremacist dog whistle president, Brexit UK - where residents of the country were manipulated using their own racism to commit national suicide, extreme right parties all across Europe gaining leverage and all this on the back of a 20 year ‘War on Terror’ campaign that was essentially just mass media dehumanising of and then bombing of Muslim countries.

And you don’t think racism plays any part in the anti-middle eastern ownership contingent?

Not in every individual person, of course, but within the contingent as a whole, it’s ludicrous given the context of the World we’re currently living in to suggest it plays no part.

I’m sure you can concede that.