Rio Ferdinand

OverratedOpinion

In a day and age where the far right is being increasingly normalised within the mainstream globally, where America has just literally had a white supremacist dog whistle president, Brexit UK - where residents of the country were manipulated using their own racism to commit national suicide, extreme right parties all across Europe gaining leverage and all this on the back of a 20 year ‘War on Terror’ campaign that was essentially just mass media dehumanising of and then bombing of Muslim countries.

And you don’t think racism plays any part in the anti-middle eastern ownership contingent?

Not in every individual person, of course, but within the contingent as a whole, it’s ludicrous given the context of the World we’re currently living in to suggest it plays no part.

I’m sure you can concede that.
Some of the people who have an issue with Qatari or Saudi ownership definitely just don't like Muslims, a larger percentage don't openly dislike them but have a subconscious bias. That small minority shouldn't be used as an answer to legitimate criticism though.

That would be like a woman killing someone and when a white man criticisises her for it she assumes the reason is misogyny because there are a lot of misogynistic white men in the world.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
In a day and age where the far right is being increasingly normalised within the mainstream globally, where America has just literally had a white supremacist dog whistle president, Brexit UK - where residents of the country were manipulated using their own racism to commit national suicide, extreme right parties all across Europe gaining leverage and all this on the back of a 20 year ‘War on Terror’ campaign that was essentially just mass media dehumanising of and then bombing of Muslim countries.

And you don’t think racism plays any part in the anti-middle eastern ownership contingent?

Not in every individual person, of course, but within the contingent as a whole, it’s ludicrous given the context of the World we’re currently living in to suggest it plays no part.

No I can't concede that. The main issue with Qatar is the fact they're a regime that human rights charities and LGBT+ groups are concerned about. The idea that people against Qatar is ridiculous. Unless you think Newcastle and City fans who now celebrate their own owners are not racist.

Keanes Magic Hat

No I can't concede that. The main issue with Qatar is the fact they're a regime that human rights charities and LGBT+ groups are concerned about. The idea that people against Qatar is ridiculous. Unless you think Newcastle and City fans who now celebrate their own owners are not racist.
Agree nothing to do with racism, it's the appalling treatment of migrants, suppression of women and treatment of LGBT+. Turning a blind eye to all this would be terrible

Someone

Something
Problem with Rio is that he isn't really bright so he ends up more often than not looking like a clown.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I don’t think there is a race element for the most part. No - I think that’s ridiculous to put forward.
And that, is your issue right there. Thanks for being candid...

So why are you arguing that when it's such a pointless argument? (to me anyway)

Last edited:

ArbeitervonWien

Of course deep rooted structural racism plays it's part in this discussion and is a concsious or unconscious factor in one's opinion making. But you could also make an argument that deep routed structural heteronormativity does as well, just the other way round.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
And that, is your issue right there. Thanks for being candid...

So why are you arguing that when it's such a pointless argument? (to me anyway)

Because I’m fed up of people calling those who have an issue with misogyny, homophobia and treatment of minorities as something they disagree with as racism.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Of course the HR issues are valid points about Qatar as a country and they are issues that should be brought up repeatedly - I would hope that a prominent Qatari owning Utd would increase the volume of that.

But to suggest that racism plays no part when you’ve got posters in here calling Jassim a ‘goatfecker’ etc is a stretch.

It’s obvious that racism / xenophobia plays a significant role for some of the anti-Jassim contingent, it’s bizarre to suggest otherwise.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Of course deep rooted structural racism plays it's part in this discussion and is a concsious or unconscious factor in one's opinion making. But you could also make an argument that deep routed structural heteronormativity does as well, just the other way round.
The other day someone pointed out that those who voted for Qatar in the United thread were much more likely to want a certain United player to return in a similar poll.

You could easily make your argument that misogyny is also playing an important factor.

The idea that to be anti Qatar means you’re somehow more likely to be racist is maddening. We have literal worldwide human rights charities calling for the takeover to be stopped. There is quite clearly a side that cares more about easing the issues of the world.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Of course the HR issues are valid points about Qatar as a country and they are issues that should be brought up repeatedly - I would hope that a prominent Qatari owning Utd would increase the volume of that.

But to suggest that racism plays no part when you’ve got posters in here calling Jassim a ‘goatfecker’ etc is a stretch.

It’s obvious that racism / xenophobia plays a significant role for some of the anti-Jassim contingent, it’s bizarre to suggest otherwise.
You can’t extrapolate from ONE post and then say there is an issue with racism. I’m absolutely not having it. The concerns from Qatar mainly stem from an issue with their human rights records. Simple as. Otherwise you’re going to argue the Newcastle fans supporting their Saudi owners with teatowels over their heads can’t be racist.

afrocentricity

Because I’m fed up of people calling those who have an issue with misogyny, homophobia and treatment of minorities as something they disagree with as racism.
Does that make sense to you? You see some posters (how many and who?) "calling those who have an issue with misogyny, homophobia and treatment of minorities as something they disagree with as racism" so you go on for weeks about how there isn't a race element (at all right?), lump a bunch of posters in together and go on some crusade to convince them they are wrong about their suspicions without providing any evidence to back that up other than feelings and.......... what else? (feel free to provide some)

What are you hoping to achieve?

it’s bizarre to suggest otherwise.
Utterly bizarre and not a good look.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Does that make sense to you? You see some posters (how many?) "calling those who have an issue with misogyny, homophobia and treatment of minorities as something they disagree with as racism" so you go on for weeks about how there isn't a race element (at all), lump a bunch of posters in together and go on some crusade to convince them they are wrong about their suspicions without providing any evidence to back that up other than feelings and.......... what else?

What are you hoping to achieve?

Utterly bizarre ad not a good look.

That’s not what I’ve done at all. I genuinely am confused what you’re going on about.

I don’t think there is any race element in those who don’t want Qatar. The idea is odd to me as the main argument against it is people who care about human rights and how others are portrayed.

This is similar to what Rhyme Animal seemed to think a few months ago based on this exchange.
How can you trust them. Human rights organisations created by the west to create an agenda. That is the demonisation of Muslim countries. I’m glad you’re having a good time hating Muslims.
This is fecking waaay out there.

Bordering on extremism and fecking crazy.

lex talionis

Problem with Rio is that he isn't really bright so he ends up more often than not looking like a clown.
A brilliant footballer, at peak one of the greatest defenders of all time, but off the pitch Rio is a bit of a clown, a clown desperate for attention.

Rhyme Animal

That’s not what I’ve done at all. I genuinely am confused what you’re going on about.

I don’t think there is any race element in those who don’t want Qatar. The idea is odd to me as the main argument against it is people who care about human rights and how others are portrayed.

This is similar to what Rhyme Animal seemed to think a few months ago based on this exchange.
Not at all. My disagreement with discounting western HR organisations is something I am consistent on - I fecking want Qatar’s (and every nations) HR abuses to have the volume turned up on them.

I’m also aware that racism plays a huge part, sadly, in people’s perceptions, as are you, and being blatantly disingenuous about that fact really doesn’t strengthen your stance. It just makes it look more likely that you’re a possible xenophobe yourself.

If simply acknowledging that for some of the anti-Jassim contingent racism and xenophobia will obviously be playing a role is beyond you, we’ll leave it there.

afrocentricity

That you actually think this vehemently enough to stand behind it still, is odd to me. Your whole approach to conversation and debate, is odd to me. Your confusion at the fact that some may have suspicions of a non-insignificant racial element, is odd to me, in light of the recent discussion and some of the sentiment and rhetoric that have come to the surface. The amount of time you have spent banging this drum over and over again, is again, odd to me.

Suspicions..... the mere idea that there might be some negative sentiment based on the race of a potential middle eastern owner of the worlds biggest football club is not fecking odd to me.

I''ll be real, in these arguments, when a person digs in and starts talking in absolutes and vouching for huge groups of people they don't actually know. They should probably reflect on how they got there.... and question the strength and foundation of their conviction.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
@afrocentricity / @Rhyme Animal the simple fact is most of the people I’ve seen posting anti Muslim sentiment on these boards before (including one high profile name in the ownership thread) has come out in support of Qatari bid emphatically. Same with the poster known for backing Brexit. I know there is an issue with racism in this country and in the game of football - I think you’re barking up the wrong tree completely.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I am genuinely 100% baffled by this post. I can not imagine living my life viewing the world in this way.
You live in the UK, right? Do you seriously think your country and regime is so much better than Saudi's?

AdNani

A brilliant footballer, at peak one of the greatest defenders of all time, but off the pitch Rio is a bit of a clown, a clown desperate for attention.
i think he's quite a likeable guy, he's also been hugely successful off the pitch for someone who's 'thick and a bit of a clown'

afrocentricity

@afrocentricity / @Rhyme Animal the simple fact is most of the people I’ve seen posting anti Muslim sentiment on these boards before (including one high profile name in the ownership thread) has come out in support of Qatari bid emphatically. Same with the poster known for backing Brexit. I know there is an issue with racism in this country and in the game of football - I think you’re barking up the wrong tree completely.
Where you are fecking up, is extrapolating your online experience with a handful of people, into some wider reading of sentiment between millions of different people with different backgrounds and ideas. The only thing in common being that they prefer owner A over owner B for reasons you may or may not be privy to.

Do you understand the point I'm making here? Because I feel like you don't and that it would be beneficial to you and some others in the long run, if you did.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I don’t think there is any race element in those who don’t want Qatar.
There is, because you use same arguments for Saudis and Qataris, and I think there's only one thing that's mutual for them, even if they are both bad. That's actually quite racist thing to do.

A million times better. No contest.
Well, not for my point of view. From my experience UK ruined my country, UK literally said "we don't want to allow muslim country in the middle of Europe" quite publicly in the 90s, so that's why the biggest genocide since the world war happened in my country.

Of course you think your country is great and everyone else is bad, your media made you think that.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Where you are fecking up, is extrapolating your online experience with a handful of people, into some wider reading of sentiment between millions of different people with different backgrounds and ideas. The only thing in common being that they prefer owner A over owner B for reasons you may or may not be privy to.

Do you understand the point I'm making here? Because I feel like you don't and that it would be beneficial to you and some others in the long run, if you did.

I’m genuinely not being a dick - I don’t get it no!

ArbeitervonWien

The other day someone pointed out that those who voted for Qatar in the United thread were much more likely to want a certain United player to return in a similar poll.

You could easily make your argument that misogyny is also playing an important factor.

The idea that to be anti Qatar means you’re somehow more likely to be racist is maddening. We have literal worldwide human rights charities calling for the takeover to be stopped. There is quite clearly a side that cares more about easing the issues of the world.
My point (and it's my last point today as I run out of posts now) is, that stereotypes will always influence opinion forming. That's the basic reason why there are stereotypes: they help arranging all the information we are subjected to and put it in little boxes so your brain can handle it.

So ideally you should always reflect your opinions upon potential and maybe unconscious isms and prejudices. Of course that doesn't delegitimize in any way your criticism of a deal where obviously parts of an oligarchy that doesn't give a shit about human rights buys our club for good PR.

afrocentricity

I’m genuinely not being a dick - I don’t get it no!
I can't make you get it, all I can do is attempt to get you to reflect and be more empathic than dogmatic in your beliefs and your arguing. I don't have more to say but I felt like maybe you and some others needed to hear something to prompt some internal reflection on how you may come across to others. Maybe it registers, maybe you care, maybe it doesn't, and maybe you don't....

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I can't make you get it, all I can do is attempt to get you to reflect and be more empathic than dogmatic in your beliefs and your arguing. I don't have more to say but I felt like maybe you and some others needed to hear something to prompt some internal reflection on how you may come across to others. Maybe it registers, maybe you care, maybe it doesn't, and maybe you don't....
If you could - do you want to take this to PM? Probably easier to talk there and I am really struggling to understand what you’re trying to say. Probably not worth clogging up this thread.

afrocentricity

If you could - do you want to take this to PM? Probably easier to talk there and I am really struggling to understand what you’re trying to say. Probably not worth clogging up this thread.
PM isn't necessary, honestly. If you understand the words I'm using, like empathic, dogmatic, internal reflection.... I'm sure you will be able to enlighten yourself. I'm not saying anything profound here it's just a bit of advice (prompted from my confusion as to what it was you were doing/saying or trying to achieve).

At the end of the day, you seem to have walked yourself into a position where you are having to make exaggerated and/or incorrect claims in lots of emotive threads. Take a step back....

lex talionis

i think he's quite a likeable guy, he's also been hugely successful off the pitch for someone who's 'thick and a bit of a clown'
He’s undeniably brilliant in monetizing his reputation as a truly top footballer, but you cannot listen to Rio for 10 minutes without yielding to at least one cringe.

AFC NimbleThumb

I don’t think there is a race element for the most part. No - I think that’s ridiculous to put forward.
The fact you caveat the first sentence with ‘for the most part’ is an admission you think there is some racism so how is it ‘ridiculous to put forward’?

afrocentricity

He’s undeniably brilliant in monetizing his reputation as a truly top footballer, but you cannot listen to Rio for 10 minutes without yielding to at least one cringe.
I find him quite down to earth and likeable, he's relatable (as relatable as a millionaire footballer can be I guess) and those cringe and human moments probably add to the appeal for me. Ledge!

lex talionis

I find him quite down to earth and likeable, he's relatable (as relatable as a millionaire footballer can be I guess) and those cringe and human moments probably add to the appeal for me. Ledge!
Fair enough. What I’ll add to that sentiment is that the world needs a few more Rio Ferdinands and a few less Simon Jordans!

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Changing tack here as the underlying racist elements I agree on but also agree are not the single most important factor.

Why the feck should people blindly follow single agenda groups? They always invariably get it wrong because they wind up being as antagonistic, intolerant and deadlock inducing as those they battle with.

What good has come from isolating North Korea or Cuba or Venezuela?

If the Soviet block hadn't entered a gradual thawing and exchange with the west you would probably still have a wall in Berlin. China (like Russia) still has major issues, but is demonstrably a far better place than 30-40 years ago.

How many healthy democracies have been imposed by wars to depose (pretty terrible) leaders?

Most healthy democracies result from the citizens of those countries getting fed up of killing each other to resolve disputes. Some did it 200-300 years ago, others are still at it because they started the process later.

Change is not brought about by imposing your way or the highway, it is brought about by integrating, generating greater exposure and scrutiny and thus gradually chipping away through the path of least ressistance and changing people's minds over time.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Yea I’m not conversing with somebody using the term ‘race card’ in 2023 but feel free to read below.

Fair point, If you were to go back 7/8 months I don’t think any fan really wants to be owned by a state, British, Norwegian or Qatari & as much as that’s an issue that I hear about on here at nauseum I don’t really want the club to be a puppet for Ineos either. As for sportswashing, why do you think Ineos is strapped across the chest of Kipchoge at every race? Unfortunately we’re going to be a pawn in whoever wins game.

Being so verbally anti-Qatar because of ‘oil money’, as many in here are, but not being bothered that Ineos is literally a petro-chemical mammoth is ridiculous.

It may have nothing to do with race for you.

Indeed & ‘oil money’ meaning Ineos I take it?

FYI, not all skinfolk is kinfolk.
Apologies. I hated using that phrase but in this case, it's fair game imo. Accusing anyone of racism because they oppose a particular state buying United is ridiculous.

Ironically, over the last few years it's right wing governments such as our own that have been more than happy to work with these people. Generally speaking, it's been left wing groups that have protested the Iraq War and also protested dodgy deals with countries like Saudi Arabia and Qatar. Are those people only racist when the perpetrators of the injustice are from a different country?

It's also ironic that people were briefly labelled as anti-Semitic for opposing the Glazers. Should we start throwing that label around again?

The other issue at play and something I have repeated numerous times over the last 6 months is that people shouldn't be cheering for anyone to buy the club. I thought it was equally bizarre when people were waving pro Ratcliffe banners. We shouldn't trust anyone. We should be critical of everyone. Practically begging anyone to take over the club is something I'll never get my head around.

Last edited:

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United

The rise of the far right is something that has been going on steadily for years. Brexit was a symbol of the direction but plenty of evidence that the country had been going in this direction for several years. As said above, many of those people creating this culture probably would be more than happy to do business with countries like Qatar and Saudi Arabia if it helped increase their wealth. Its ridiculous to try and link that with United fans tradition of being bolshy opinionated bas**rds that don't trust anyone.

Most right wing people were also more than happy to work with people close to Putin until the PR backlash became too much.

Some of those United fans opposing Qatar were happy to also wave banners opposing the Iraq War in 2003. Are they racist or not?

Were they also anti American for opposing Murdoch and the Glazers? Do they have a deep hatred of the Irish that explained why they protested John Magnier and JP McManus in 2004?

Rhyme Animal

The rise of the far right is something that has been going on steadily for years. Brexit was a symbol of the direction but plenty of evidence that the country had been going in this direction for several years. As said above, many of those people creating this culture probably would be more than happy to do business with countries like Qatar and Saudi Arabia if it helped increase their wealth. Its ridiculous to try and link that with United fans tradition of being bolshy opinionated bas**rds that don't trust anyone.

Most right wing people were also more than happy to work with people close to Putin until the PR backlash became too much.

Some of those United fans opposing Qatar were happy to also wave banners opposing the Iraq War in 2003. Are they racist or not?

Were they also anti American for opposing Murdoch and the Glazers? Do they have a deep hatred of the Irish that explained why they protested John Magnier and JP McManus in 2004?
You’ve completely misunderstood what’s been said. And I don’t mean that in an arsey way.

If you look back at what I’ve said you’ll see that I’ve specifically stated that while for some the reasoning behind preferring Ratcliffe to Jassim will be based purely on altruistic, humanist ideals, with NO RACISM OR XENOPHOBIA in tow, for others racism and / or xenophobia will play a part in their thinking.

That is blatantly obvious.

Just as not everyone who disliked Obama is a racist, but every racist disliked Obama.

If you, or Wumminator, or anyone else is so entrenched and heel dug in that you literally can’t concede that simple truth, then I’ll leave you to it.

But let’s move this into the ownership thread if it needs to continue as it’s taking the thread way off course mate.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
You’ve completely misunderstood what’s been said. And I don’t mean that in an arsey way.

If you look back at what I’ve said you’ll see that I’ve specifically stated that while for some the reasoning behind preferring Ratcliffe to Jassim will be based purely on altruistic, humanist ideals, with NO RACISM OR XENOPHOBIA in tow, for others racism and / or xenophobia will play a part in their thinking.

That is blatantly obvious.

Just as not everyone who disliked Obama is a racist, but every racist disliked Obama.

If you, or Wumminator, or anyone else is so entrenched and heel dug in that you literally can’t concede that simple truth, then I’ll leave you to it.

But let’s move this into the ownership thread if it needs to continue as it’s taking the thread way off course mate.
Fair enough. Last post.

I'm not convinced by this argument. Now, it's probably my own left wing echo chamber here, but I don't think I've seen any Pro Ratcliffe/anti Qatar argument that have been based on racism. If anything, I've seen posts from "anti local" matchgoing fans that would happily remove huge aspects of United's local identity for a chance of success. Again, this is not necessarily the absolute truth just more my own experience.

Back on topic. As for Rio, fabulous player but absolute tw** of a man.

redcucumber

It's a false equivocation for you, but there are people who are film addicts in a way that we are football addicts. It's the same thing. Not wanting an owner isn't the same as that owner being bad at their job (or the assumption here being that they'd spend so much that they would achieve their goal regardless of their competence).
A better example would be people that are 'addicted' to a particular musician (what does a film 'addict' that is comparable to a football fan actually look like in practice, aside from saying it's the same thing? I have worked in film on a very low scale and have friends that work in the industry and I consider myself something of a film buff (cringe), but I haven't heard or seen anything that replicates the tribalism of football in a way that is comparable. Being extremely passionate to the extent of being 'addicted' to something is still different to being tribal to one person/team/whatever). There are hordes of Kanye West fans that will bend all logic to justify his anti semitic and hateful speech. I suppose that's what we are seeing with people justifying Saudi involvement or Qatar taking United over. Traditional ideas of right and wrong go out of the window

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
A better example would be people that are 'addicted' to a particular musician (what does a film 'addict' that is comparable to a football fan actually look like in practice, aside from saying it's the same thing? I have worked in film on a very low scale and have friends that work in the industry and I consider myself something of a film buff, but I haven't heard or seen anything that replicates the tribalism of football in a way that is comparable. Being extremely passionate to the extent of being 'addicted' to something is still different to being tribal to one person/team/whatever). There are hordes of Kanye West fans that will bend all logic to justify his anti semitic and hateful speech. I suppose that's what we are seeing with people justifying Saudi involvement or Qatar taking United over. Traditional ideas of right and wrong go out of the window
I dunno really, but people fully obsess over every little thing actors do the same way footballers get it. And people are absolutely fanboys of certain actors who will defend absolutely everything and be tribal. But yeah much the same was as Kanye has his following or any musical artist does, people worship actors too. Like all the people who worship Leo di Caprio or Brad Pitt or Angelina Jolie, etc