g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Rio Ferdinand

Spoony

The People's President
I've not "followed his life" other than what everyone knows and I certainly don't follow him on social media, no.

He's a childhood Liverpool fan from London. Of course there's a connection with Man United because of his playing days but he's not a fan in the same way you are.

He seems to be quite passionate about United. I'm not sure why it's even worth talking about.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Is the furore because he said Pep is the greatest coach of all time, in terms of setting up a team?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Having a shirt doesn't make you a supporter of a team, especially as a kid because someone else gave you that shirt.

Only you know if you were a Real Madrid fan and switched.

The like of John Terry, Carragher and Rio supported teams other than the ones they really made an impact with as players. I'm not talking about them "owning a shirt".
But I was a fan of those teams because I owned a shirt. Being childhood fan means feck all when I didn't know a thing about football when I was a kid. No one really knows a thing about life until about teenager years, probably even later, I would say not until 18 at minimum.

Rio well could be fan of Liverpool, but neither you or me could know that, but you talk about it like it's a fact.

But if he is one, he must be one of the worst Liverpool fans in history of football.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Rio isn't and has never been a Man United fan, Williams is a bit silly to hold him to some silly standard.

Legend of the club? Sure, I'd say so given what he did for the club but he's a childhood Liverpool fan from London.
The only thing I can find relating to him supposedly being a Liverpool fan is an article from 2009 that quotes him saying his mates were all Liverpool fans because they were the best team, but he didn't really care for them despite admiring their players.

The Bloody Nine

Brandon either needs to stop tweeting when absolutely legless or needs to repeat school year 3. Not sure which.
However spelling and grammar aside, Rio did act like an absolute City fanboy last night. Regardless who he supports, he should give his Utd connection a bit more thought and respect.

Son

Brandon either needs to stop tweeting when absolutely legless or needs to repeat school year 3. Not sure which.
However spelling and grammar aside, Rio did act like an absolute City fanboy last night. Regardless who he supports, he should give his Utd connection a bit more thought and respect.
Maybe but end of the day he was a player. Players respect other great footballers and teams.

He knows how hard it is to reach that level and Pep beat him in two CL finals before. He’s always gone on about how he admired Pep and Messi’s football.

There was no change last night. It’s impressive they won a treble. Sometimes give a rival their flowers when they do a once in a generation achievement.

SuperiorXI

Brandon Williams is an embarrassment. To even call himself a footballer when he doesn't even get on the pitch is humorous. He should save all of this and show it in training and on match days.

CloneMC16

If Rio is a Liverpool fan, he does a brilliant job pretending he isn't.

I'm not sure what Rio said, because I turned off after the final whistle. A pundit isn't supposed to be biased. If you can't congratulate a team after a winning a treble, you aren't cut out to be a pundit.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I've not "followed his life" other than what everyone knows and I certainly don't follow him on social media, no.

He's a childhood Liverpool fan from London. Of course there's a connection with Man United because of his playing days but he's not a fan in the same way you are.
Never seen anything along these lines before, so looked around for the truth...

Ferdinand told his club's official TV channel, MUTV: "As a kid, Liverpool were the team that were doing well, with the likes of John Barnes and John Aldridge, and United weren't really winning anything.
"On my estate [in Peckham, south London], all my mates were Liverpool fans."

However, Ferdinand clarified that he was not exactly a fan of the club itself, moreso of star players of the era.

He clarified: "But I was more a fan of players than clubs. Players like John Barnes, Paul Ince, Paul Gascoigne.

criticalanalysis

Didn't Williams also stick up for Maguire in some interview?

My head hurt reading that post but I gotta admit to 'respecting' a guy who is backing his own regardless of etiquette or context :lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

I'm not sure what Rio said, because I turned off after the final whistle. A pundit isn't supposed to be biased. If you can't congratulate a team after a winning a treble, you aren't cut out to be a pundit.
Sounds like his pals were, but he actually wasn't.
And even then this is 30+ years back. You only have to listen to him to hear where his alliances lie now, even over his boyhood team West Ham.

GlasgowCeltic

well they’re biased to the English team literally every game

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He's a massive ball of cringe and has a heavy hint of narcissism about him.

CloneMC16

well they’re biased to the English team literally every game
I think being biased towards English teams makes sense. It's a British broadcaster. Are you telling me that Italian broadcasters weren't biased towards Inter?

It's club rivalries that they need to try and put to one side. We mostly see them commentate on PL games.

In all fairness on the second one, Jack Grealish strikes me as someone so monumentally thick that he probably needs an element of luck just to navigate day to day life.
:lol:

Good job that lad made it as a footballer!

GueRed

He isn't a Liverpool fan. Don't know where that has come from?

He's said many times he was a massive John Barnes fan boy (most inner city black kids in London in the 80's were tbf).

So yeah maybe some of his mates were Liverpool fans,

But Rio has never gone on record to say he was a Liverpool fan or any particular club growing up.

Nickelodeon

His feud with Carragher is so cringeworthy. And the sad part is that I almost always see myself siding with Carragher.

Rio, with his Goldbridge like Youtube channel, just has some shocking views. For him to defend Saudi oil money being thrown into the sport just reeks of him being one of those media people who will suddenly be all cushy towards Middle East.

Barring Gary Neville, most ex-United players give a really poor account of themselves in the media. And even Neville had a shocker during Ole's final few months.

Kostov

His feud with Carragher is so cringeworthy. And the sad part is that I almost always see myself siding with Carragher.

Rio, with his Goldbridge like Youtube channel, just has some shocking views. For him to defend Saudi oil money being thrown into the sport just reeks of him being one of those media people who will suddenly be all cushy towards Middle East.

Barring Gary Neville, most ex-United players give a really poor account of themselves in the media. And even Neville had a shocker during Ole's final few months.
What's wrong with Saudi oil money?

Nickelodeon

What's wrong with Saudi oil money?
I personally wouldn't prefer to see PL or Football being owned by the country. Similar to what they have done for Golf. Don't expect everyone to hold the same view though.

Kostov

I personally wouldn't prefer to see PL or Football being owned by the country. Similar to what they have done for Golf. Don't expect everyone to hold the same view though.
I am not familiar with Golf and what they have done to be fair, but in football they seem to be good owners by the way they are running Newcastle for example.

Posh Red

I am not familiar with Golf and what they have done to be fair, but in football they seem to be good owners by the way they are running Newcastle for example.
Of course it’s good for Newcastle, as they’re spending huge amounts of money improving their club. Whether it is good for the sport in general he another question, and the answer is almost certainly ‘no’.

redcucumber

I'd really rather nation states didn't control football. I don't know if it's legit or not, but look at the accusations that Chelsea are getting inflated fees from Saudi teams to boost their accounts (PIF have a stake in Chelsea ownership/Clearlake). Miguel Delaney has an article about it. It's a pisstake.

Kostov

They are literally murderers.
Lots of murderers out there.

I'd really rather nation states didn't control football. I don't know if it's legit or not, but look at the accusations that Chelsea are getting inflated fees from Saudi teams to boost their accounts (PIF have a stake in Chelsea ownership/Clearlake). Miguel Delaney has an article about it. It's a pisstake.
it takes two to tango?

Of course it’s good for Newcastle, as they’re spending huge amounts of money improving their club. Whether it is good for the sport in general he another question, and the answer is almost certainly ‘no’.
The sport will be fine, it's been happening for ages already.

glasgow 21

In all fairness on the second one, Jack Grealish strikes me as someone so monumentally thick that he probably needs an element of luck just to navigate day to day life.
Correct, Jack also didnt attended lockdown parties and didnt drive whilst under the influence and hit a few cars on the way home. All whilst never missing a minute a football game time.

Mmm-Qatarian

I'd say Neville has had his share of shockers in the media/on social media (that godawful HIGNFY episode and him calling out that Sky Sports employee on Twitter being the recent highlights), but I don't really hold this against him.

I felt quite strongly that keeping Ole for as long as we did was a daft decision but I can't blame Neville for being uncomfortable with going in hard on a friend at a time when he (Ole) was taking pelters from all sides.

redcucumber

it takes two to tango?
It's Saudi buying/selling players to itself. Boehly etc are obviously massive benefactors but saying 'it takes two to tango' suggests you've not understood the scheme they've got going on.

Kostov

It's Saudi buying/selling players to itself. Boehly etc are obviously massive benefactors but saying 'it takes two to tango' suggests you've not understood the scheme they've got going on.
Who the feck cares my friend? The Glazers have been destroying our football club by burdening it with their loans for 20 years, how the hell is that any better for you and me? My point is, rich people and their schemes, they are all crooks.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
They are literally murderers.
They are horrible human beings yes. But they are not horrible owners.

See this a lot these days. Saw a thread on Reddit the other day about worst football club owners and people were naming Saudis or City and PSG owners. Umm no they are not horrible owners, horrible people yes, but they are actually doing pretty well as owners.

Kevin Spacey is a horrible person but a great actor.

The Glazers might be stand up people, but they are horrible owners. Why do people equate the two things?

I can understand subjectively an individual might not want them associated with their clubs and fair enough, but objectively the ME owners are actually doing pretty well as owners.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder

See this a lot these days. Saw a thread on Reddit the other day about worst football club owners and people were naming Saudis or City and PSG owners. Umm no they are not horrible owners, horrible people yes, but they are actually doing pretty well as owners.

The Glazers might be stand up people, but they are horrible owners. Why do people equate the two things?
I am genuinely 100% baffled by this post. I can not imagine living my life viewing the world in this way.

redcucumber

Who the feck cares my friend? The Glazers have been destroying our football club by burdening it with their loans for 20 years, how the hell is that any better for you and me? My point is, rich people and their schemes, they are all crooks.
Lots of people care. For me, I'd rather football was a dick swinging competition between business people than nation states (obviously the ideal is the German model with some portion of fan ownership).

redcucumber

I can understand subjectively an individual might not want them associated with their clubs and fair enough, but objectively the ME owners are actually doing pretty well as owners.
That's a bit of a false equivocation. I can stop watching Kevin Spacey films. It's a lot harder to stop watching United.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
People care more about their footbally team than human rights abuse. Brilliant, absolutely brilliant.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
How anyone can be aware of the murder of Jamal Khashoggi and still defend the Saudi's is mind boggling to me.