Rio Ferdinand

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
It's just a fun podcast with banter. Stop taking everything so damn seriously.
‘Fun’ and ‘Banter’. Exactly the problem. It’s banal drivel with people shouting ‘Clip that up’ all the time. It’s not a case of me taking it serious, it’s just quite shit.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
At least I knew that Ronaldo was bad for us and that Ole wasn't the right manager, more than Rio "the expert" knew. But because he was a great footballer he must know everything about anything!
Agreed. Maybe the two of you should swap positions. You become a well respected pundit, and he takes over your role on the cafe.

Mickson

Agreed. Maybe the two of you should swap positions. You become a well respected pundit, and he takes over your role on the cafe.
Yeah because it's impossible for an unknown to know more than anyone who has ever laid their feet on the grass. IMPOSSIBLE!

Fair enough. I think he comes across as thick and extremely clamorous.
Not to harp on about this, but I'd be interested to hear what you think about this. For me it's the perfect setting for someone like Rio. I think it's great how he combines being a former elite player with the humility of a fan. You can tell he admires Bruno and just wants to know everything.

poleglass red

He comes across like a man trying to act much younger than he is, that can be a bit cringey at times, but once you look past that, he has improved in his analysis and can offer some decent input these days.

Glorio

He comes across like a man trying to act much younger than he is, that can be a bit cringey at times, but once you look past that, he has improved in his analysis and can offer some decent input these days.
In what way?

AdNani

Yeah, the kids are all doing it. Imagine! Just imagine! Oh, my days. Imagine thinking someone was a brilliant player but, at the same time, not being a massive fan of things they say and do that aren't playing football. How can someone hold two thoughts in their head at the same time? Ridiculous stuff. Can you imagine!?
Not really sure what point you're trying to make? i never said people should agree with everything he says? But the post i read was annoyed at him for being at training after he backed Ronaldo. I didn't agree with him on Ronaldo, but i don't get annoyed when arguably our best ever CB then comes into the club after having a different opinion. It's weird.

Eriku

I think how people normally act in an age range changes with each generation. Just because he’s not like the 44 year olds of yore doesn’t mean much.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I didn't watch the coverage last night but I've heard he was embarrassing which is a shame.

Superunknown

Haven't really paid much attention to the Rio stuff from yesterday because I switched off mentally when the game was finished and they went back to the pundits. The way that I interpret it is that he's a former player of our club and is a fan of us. Whenever questions get thrown at him, they're usually United-focused, as you'd expect. At the same time, he's trying to hone his craft as pundit and make it in that field, and you can't do that by showing an obvious bias towards one club, you've got to be rounded. As well as that, I see it as him having respect for managers, players, and teams who do it at the top level. Inside, I expect that he's longing for United to get back to that standard and level, which we're making in-roads with. If he goes live on air and slags off City for 2 hours, he'll just get called 'bitter' and it wouldn't really help him or anyone in the long run. He's trying to do a professional job.

AshRK

Well Gill was still in place at that time
He left in 2013 and our club was starting to be in a mess since 2009 summer to be fair. Do you seriously think Guardiola would have been this much successful with woodward and glazers. I can bet he would have walked away like he did with Bayern. City is a perfect project for most managers. A nothing club where you are bigger than the club.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Rio isn't and has never been a Man United fan, Williams is a bit silly to hold him to some silly standard.

Legend of the club? Sure, I'd say so given what he did for the club but he's a childhood Liverpool fan from London.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
It all comes down to money in the end. And if people ask why didnt you say what your heart says, he can just point at his job and talking about being professional. Politicaly correct bollocks and all that.

One thing is certain though. He is awful as a pundit and BT Sports is full of crap pundits and commentators. If you take all the septic tanks in the world and put it together in a vaccuum space, the equivalent of it in football is BT Sports. Owen? 'Fletcher'? Lescott? Jenas? Holy feck what a group of inspiring ex legends to commentate on our beautiful game (NOT).

pascell

It all comes down to money in the end. And if people ask why didnt you say what your heart says, he can just point at his job and talking about being professional. Politicaly correct bollocks and all that.

One thing is certain though. He is awful as a pundit and BT Sports is full of crap pundits and commentators. If you take all the septic tanks in the world and put it together in a vaccuum space, the equivalent of it in football is BT Sports. Owen? 'Fletcher'? Lescott? Jenas? Holy feck what a group of inspiring ex legends to commentate on our beautiful game (NOT).
You missed out the best one, Chris Sutton.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Rio isn't and has never been a Man United fan, Williams is a bit silly to hold him to some silly standard.

Legend of the club? Sure, I'd say so given what he did for the club but he's a childhood Liverpool fan from London.
What?

Have you actually ever followed Rio on social media, or his life?

duffer

Scout
What?

Have you actually ever followed Rio on social media, or his life?
I've not "followed his life" other than what everyone knows and I certainly don't follow him on social media, no.

He's a childhood Liverpool fan from London. Of course there's a connection with Man United because of his playing days but he's not a fan in the same way you are.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

I've not "followed his life" other than what everyone knows and I certainly don't follow him on social media, no.

He's a childhood Liverpool fan from London. Of course there's a connection with Man United because of his playing days but he's not a fan in the same way you are.
Just like Stevie Me is an Everton fan because he has a picture in their kit as a kid? What an odd post. Rio is a United fan — or, at the very least, he has a public image of one that he himself created, so it's hardly unfair to judge him by it. Not that I agree with Williams on the noncomprehensive mess that his post is.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

My first football kits when I was kid were Shearer from England and Raul from Real Madrid(someone else wore them and gave it to me) and I thought I was supporting England and Real Madrid back then when I was kid, didn't even know about Manchester United until I was about 10. I reckon that makes me Real Madrid/ England fan too and means I was never United fan in my life?

duffer

Scout
My first football kits when I was kid were Shearer from England and Raul from Real Madrid(someone else wore them and gave it to me) and I thought I was supporting England and Real Madrid back then when I was kid, didn't even know about Manchester United until I was about 10. I reckon that makes me Real Madrid/ England fan too and means I was never United fan in my life?
Having a shirt doesn't make you a supporter of a team, especially as a kid because someone else gave you that shirt.

Only you know if you were a Real Madrid fan and switched.

The like of John Terry, Carragher and Rio supported teams other than the ones they really made an impact with as players. I'm not talking about them "owning a shirt".