Rio Ferdinand

Remember the geese

Campbell was better than Terry too, but for some reason history hasn't been as kind to him. Maybe doesn't help that he's completely full of himself too.

Castia

Stam doesn’t make any side ahead of VVD let’s be honest. He made 70 odd PL appearances.

DanClancy

For context.

Rio's List:
1. Rio Ferdinand
2. Nemanja Vidic
3. Virgil van Dijk
4. Jaap Stam
5. John Terry

Van Dijk's List:
1. Rio Ferdinand
2. Vincent Kompany
3. Jaap Stam
4. John Terry
5. Sami Hyypia
Can't take Van Dijk seriously, could be here all day naming better centre half's then Hypia. Pallister, Johnsen let alone Vidic are all better players.

Kompany is overrated.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Terry was at (or near) his peak for longer than Rio. In fact he probably played at the very top level for longer than any other defender I can think of in the PL era. So if we're taking longevity into account then he's right up there.

However if we're talking about absolute peak level that players reached (for at least a few seasons) then he's certainly not at the top of the tree. Rio, Vidic, Stam, VVD, Kompany and Campbell all clearly achieved a level above what Terry ever reached IMO.

Rio's 07/08 and VVD's 18/19 are not only the top two seasons any defender have had in PL history, but also two of the top three seasons any defender in the world has had in the last 20 years IMO (Nesta's 02/03 being the other). Terry never came remotely close to reaching that kind of level.

Abraxas

To be honest I think there's a tendency to underrate how good Terry was. Everybody that played with him talked in glowing terms not only about how horrible to play against he was but his ability on the ball. He's just not all that fashionable due to some of the shenanigans he's been involved with and not as flashy as some defenders. He's absolutely in the same breath as all of these guys, Rio, Vidic, VVD etc. Not a whole lot separating them.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
For context.

Rio's List:
1. Rio Ferdinand
2. Nemanja Vidic
3. Virgil van Dijk
4. Jaap Stam
5. John Terry

Van Dijk's List:
1. Rio Ferdinand
2. Vincent Kompany
3. Jaap Stam
4. John Terry
5. Sami Hyypia
Fair play Rio :lol: knows his standing!

Would live to see hin expand it to the all-timers and see where he places himself. Where he ranks himself next to the gods.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Why not? Ronaldo would do exactly the same thing if he was asked.
I do understand, I just pity people that do. Life must be a bit cack if you take yourself that seriously.

And yes I'm sure my pity will do international superstar Cristiano Ronaldo alot of good :wenger:

Red the Bear

Something less generic

Would live to see hin expand it to the all-timers and see where he places himself. Where he ranks himself next to the gods.
I doubt it if he ever saw the likes Scirea or Bobby moore play so he'll probably just day he didn't get to watch them all.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
:lol:

Terry embarrasses himself on Twitter on a regular basis. Constantly retweeting praise from any random he can find.

Reeks of insecurity.
It takes a certain type to go full kit for a final they haven't played in.

Terry's always had a look about him: Big lad, small man. Not surprised that Rio offering an opinion on his standing triggered Terry so much.

AdNani

I reckon he was.
I've always thought Rio was extremely talented but a bit of a bottler. Vidic was the rock back there we needed which is why he became Captain. Rio was never captain material at any point in his career.
We won our first PL title in 4 years in Vidic's first full season and then totally dominated afterwards. Our attack was great in this period also but it was our defence which was truly legendary.
We once went 12 games in the league without conceding a single goal.
Van der Sar played a big part also but I think Vidic was the catalyst. He had that inner drive and determination only the true leaders have.
Overall, I'd say Ferdinand was slightly more talented but Vidic had a lot more to him than just talent.
Both were excellent but Rio gets regularly overrated whereas Vidic gets underrated. It's just the English media's way.

Stam was better than Rio also.
Rio literally captained us in a CL final that we won, he wasn't made captain because by the time the captain was changed he couldn't stay fit.

He was the one who organised the whole defence when he played. Vidic/Terry had more eye catching styles due to their physicality, Rio could play an entire game without making a tackle because he was 2 steps ahead, whenever he did misread something he had more pace than most strikers to make up for it, coupled with his ability on the ball he was almost the perfect CB.

07/08 in particular was the best season ive ever seen from a CB.

1.Rio
2.Stam
3.Vidic
4.Terry
5.Kompany

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I doubt it if he ever saw the likes Scirea or Bobby moore play so he'll probably just day he didn't get to watch them all.
Nesta, Maldini, Baresi, Kohler: he's seen these guys play. I guess I'm more curious of his opinion next to a contemporary such as Nesta, actually as that's the pinnacle and I would be interested in Rio's views vis a vis that level.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Nesta, Maldini, Baresi, Kohler: he's seen these guys play. I guess I'm more curious of his opinion next to a contemporary such as Nesta, actually as that's the pinnacle and I would be interested in Rio's views vis a vis that level.
Would be interesting indeed, he does have a podcast so that would come up eventually.

https://www.kickoff.com/news/articl...d-i-was-the-best-defender-in-the-world/578412
He also seems to rate himself quite high so doesn't really lack self esteem in that regard.

Anyway I baressi and Maldini are clear in my eyes (not really contemporaries anyway), he was better than kohler.

Nesta would be the more interesting one, Nesta was probably more complete but I could see a case in ranking rio above him.

Smithy89

Regardless of where you rank Big Tommy Robinson JT, the fact that this grown man has chucked his toys out because someone had him in their top 5 but not first, wtf is he crying about. Along with Barton he's the biggest bell to ever put on a pair of boots in the prem.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Anyway I baressi and Maldini are clear in my eyes (not really contemporaries anyway), he was better than kohler.

Nesta would be the more interesting one, Nesta was probably more complete but I could see a case in ranking rio above him.
Kohler and Rio are very different in terms of style, but given that Kohler is arguably the greatest man-marker of all time and Rio really isn't close to being the greatest ever in his category/ies - then no, I'd say not.

As for Nesta, nobody but United fans will dream of ranking him below Rio.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Would be interesting indeed, he does have a podcast so that would come up eventually.

https://www.kickoff.com/news/articl...d-i-was-the-best-defender-in-the-world/578412
He also seems to rate himself quite high so doesn't really lack self esteem in that regard.

Hope it comes up. There's never a case for Rio being better than Nesta(!) ;), but I would be interested in how you have it.

I think the issue here is the next level up, is precisely that; Kohler's there on merit easily one of the best of all-time.

I actually like the fact he has the awareness to rank himself above others - I would like to see if he has the capacity to rank himself below others, too.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Kohler and Rio are very different in terms of style, but given that Kohler is arguably the greatest man-marker of all time and Rio really isn't close to being the greatest ever in his category/ies - then no, I'd say not.

As for Nesta, nobody but United fans will dream of ranking him below Rio.
Being the greatest of all time in one very specific area doesn't really make you the better player, overall I feel rio was better but its fine margins at that point.

I rate Nesta higher Myself but can see a case for the opposite that's why I said that.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

For me, (regarding players who i watched), Maldini is the goat defender. Without question for me
After him it is battle between Baresi, Rio and Nesta.

Yeah, i rate Rio that high :drool:

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Why not? False modesty is annoying thing. IF he thinks that he is the best (and general opinion is that he has credentials to think that) then why not say it?
I myself really don't care about it if anyone does it as he's free to rank himself however he wants and as you say has the credentials for but it can come of as egotistical if you rank yourself as the best of your generation and aren't far ahead of anyone else like say cryuff or Maradona.
Hope it comes up. There's never a case for Rio being better than Nesta(!) ;), but I would be interested in how you have it.

I think the issue here is the next level up, is precisely that; Kohler's there on merit easily one of the best of all-time.

I actually like the fact he has the awareness to rank himself above others - I would like to see if he has the capacity to rank himself below others, too.
I remember a video I seen of him in a show where they bring up different jerseys to him and he seemed to be talking quite highly of barresi so he'll probably have no problem ranking the guys whom he sees as idols above himself (my memory might be failing me so I have to check), I also feel he would be more inclined to give the players from other leagues their due as there is no existing beef between them as there is in the English league.

I myself Nesta higher as he was an incredibly complete defender( his awful injury woes aside) and this might seem counterintuitive but I could see a case of Rio being better suited to play the passive role in the defensive duo compared to Nesta in a very specialized manner.
For example I'll imagine the Rio vidic partnership would be more potent than a Nesta vidic one and Rio more in demand in the modern game.

On an unrelated note This is what you get if you search Rio ferdinand nesta in Google.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
For me, (regarding players who i watched), Maldini is the goat defender. Without question for me
After him it is battle between Baresi, Rio and Nesta.

Yeah, i rate Rio that high :drool:
Then you indeed rank him extremely high as many people have Baresi as the defacto best center back in history!

Wish we could have anything even remotely close to that Rio vidic partnership in this current United side.

Last edited:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Then you indeed rank him extremely high as many people have Baresi as the defacto best center back in history!

Wish we could have anything even coming close to that Rio vidic partnership in this current United side.
Yeah, i really rate him but i agree with you; if you put emotions aside, Baresi/Maldini duo is above others

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Regardless of where you rank Big Tommy Robinson JT, the fact that this grown man has chucked his toys out because someone had him in their top 5 but not first, wtf is he crying about. Along with Barton he's the biggest bell to ever put on a pair of boots in the prem.
Good times.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Rio is incredibly overrated on this forum, he had a lot of presence about him but his ball-playing skills are overhyped. He had a tendency to look good on the ball without being particularly great, also loved to play a long hoof to nowhere.

I've always pegged Vidic as the better defender of the two even if he didn't look as classy, but his strengths were tailor-made for this league. 08/09 season, he made Jonny Evans look like a world beater next to him. One of the most dominant season you'll ever see from a CB. His 2010/11 season is also under-rated.

I'd place Rio above Terry because he was more complete but Terrys longevity has him in for a great shout, he was on his last leg during Mourinho 2nd stint and still looked quality. My Top 5 would be:

1. Vidic
2. Rio
3. Terry
4. van Dijk
5. Kompany

van Dijk has only won 1 PL but I don't think any defender has had the season he had in 18/19, deserved to win Ballon d'Or that season. Looks very dominant still. Kompany is same, he was a quality defender for Man City when they started to win stuff. Great leader too

Kaos

I don't see how Chelsea fans could idolise someone as despicable and pathetic as John Terry. A racist, friend's wife shagger, crypto scammer who spits on players and comes out wearing a full kit with shin pads to celebrate a cup final he wasn't involved in. Imagine having that as a club legend. At least we've had the decency to not idolise Ryan Giggs anymore.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

He doesn’t rate himself compared to the greatest in Europe, if you’ve been following the recent Champions League XI series he’s hosting he’s accepted he’s comfortably third, fourth fiddle to the likes of Maldini, Ramos, Cannavaro and Puyol etc. in Europe.

Think what he’s confident in is that he was the best the country has seen.

Cantonagotmehere

Rio is incredibly overrated on this forum, he had a lot of presence about him but his ball-playing skills are overhyped. He had a tendency to look good on the ball without being particularly great, also loved to play a long hoof to nowhere.

I've always pegged Vidic as the better defender of the two even if he didn't look as classy, but his strengths were tailor-made for this league. 08/09 season, he made Jonny Evans look like a world beater next to him. One of the most dominant season you'll ever see from a CB. His 2010/11 season is also under-rated.

I'd place Rio above Terry because he was more complete but Terrys longevity has him in for a great shout, he was on his last leg during Mourinho 2nd stint and still looked quality. My Top 5 would be:

1. Vidic
2. Rio
3. Terry
4. van Dijk
5. Kompany

van Dijk has only won 1 PL but I don't think any defender has had the season he had in 18/19, deserved to win Ballon d'Or that season. Looks very dominant still. Kompany is same, he was a quality defender for Man City when they started to win stuff. Great leader too
I love Rio, but Vidic all day for me. My favorite United player of all time (sans Cantona).

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Why not? False modesty is annoying thing. IF he thinks that he is the best (and general opinion is that he has credentials to think that) then why not say it?
Because saying you are the best, regardless of whether it's true, makes you look like a tit.

Unless you mastered the ancient art of self deprecation. Then it's fine.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I don't see how Chelsea fans could idolise someone as despicable and pathetic as John Terry. A racist, friend's wife shagger, crypto scammer who spits on players and comes out wearing a full kit with shin pads to celebrate a cup final he wasn't involved in. Imagine having that as a club legend. At least we've had the decency to not idolise Ryan Giggs anymore.
We do? :nervous: . Damn, i didn't get that memo..:D

Castia

Based on his whole career, he does

Think he won one trophy whilst at lazio and Milan whilst also getting banned for drug use. Had a great couple of years at United but I wouldn't have him in the top 5.

For me:

Rio
Vidic
VVD
Terry
Kompany

There's not an argument in the world that gets him ahead of any of those.