Rio Ferdinand

Eugenius

During Rio's peak from 2007 to 2013 - 3x CL finals (prime Barca only stopping us), 4 PL and only 1 point and goal difference from winning it in two seasons we didn't. We were absolutely dominant, and a big part of that was our defence. Let's talk about how John Terry did in AVB's high line...

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
During Rio's peak from 2007 to 2013 - 3x CL finals (prime Barca only stopping us), 4 PL and only 1 point and goal difference from winning it in two seasons we didn't. We were absolutely dominant, and a big part of that was our defence. Let's talk about how John Terry did in AVB's high line...

This is what I was trying to get at earlier, Terrys lack of pace was definitely exposed that season but was he ever in a high line before that season?

I don't think Chelsea ever played a high line after Jose arrived (until AVB) but I may have it wrong.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
This is what I was trying to get at earlier, Terrys lack of pace was definitely exposed that season but was he ever in a high line before that season?

I don't think Chelsea ever played a high line after Jose arrived (until AVB) but I may have it wrong.
They played highline under AVB and he was poor.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I think I lost quite a few brain cells reading through their arguments.

Makes for quality entertainment however.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
So if someone is the best ever, they aren’t allowed to have the opinion that they are the best ever? That’s just plain dumb.

It’s like asking Messi in his prime who is the best player in the world and then not allowing him to put himself as number 1.
except that wasn't the whole point I was making at all. He calls out Terry for posting his achievements and advertising himself while putting himself at number 1. Both are similar in this.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Know you guys hate JT here but this is laughable. He’s comfortably in the top 5 CB‘s in the PL era. And certainly better than Rio.
Terry better than Rio? :lol: :lol: :lol: . Terry was very good defender but Rio is the Goat in PL era. Most complete defender in history of PL. Positioning, technique, pace, tackling, game reading....he was a monster. Terry was a natural leader and that pushes him up on the list in the eyes of fans. But he is nowhere near Rio as a defender.

poleglass red

Terry better than Rio? :lol: :lol: :lol: . Terry was very good defender but Rio is the Goat in PL era. Most complete defender in history of PL. Positioning, technique, pace, tackling, game reading....he was a monster. Terry was a natural leader and that pushes him up on the list in the eyes of fans. But he is nowhere near Rio as a defender.
Rio was no monster, great player but the physical aspect wasn't something he relished. That is why he always excelled playing with a more physical player alongside him. He had Vidic at Utd, and I always felt he played his best tournament when he lined up alongside Sol Campbell for England. Terry was a great player as well, he did relish the physical aspect. Different types of defender, Terry maybe more of an "old school" type in that nothing got passed him and he was a natural leader. Rio more cultured, although Terry was no slouch on the ball and he had a decent goal return for a defender. 2 great players, each had weaknesses like all players do. I think in recent seasons we as Utd fans due to the lack of present quality are elevating some past players beyond their actual ability

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Jess, you guys are thick. It's okay to admit the the truth even though you are a united fan. Terry was head and shoulders above Rio. In his fifth league title at age 35, he played every single minute of that premier league campaign while Rio was being embarassed at QPR. Is it a coincidence that before the Guardiola era, terry has one of the highest win percentages? Oh and before you say that he played for a defensive Mourinho team, I must remind you that he played for about 3 years before Mourinho Joined and that was included in calculating his win percentage. We can all agree that Terry is a crap human being. But we need to take off our red tinted glasses and admit that he is one hell of a defender.
I didn't knew that Chelsea fans are delusional (like Pool fans are).
Nobody is not denying that Terry was a beast. But Rio is level above. It is like it is. Ask 10 neutral fans and i bet 9 will say Rio.

Damn, this is like me going on Chelsea forum and claiming that Ruud is better than Drogba. You would be pissed, right?

dal

Rio was the best by a country mile. Terry is obviously an insecure knut, a lot off people think hes a racist they’re probably right, tw*t.

BarstoolProphet

I think both deserves their time in court to discuss this matter. Should be a spot open when Heard and Depp are finished.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Some of y'all taking the piss mentioning Maguire in this thread.

GMoore23

He wasn't better than Rio.
I reckon he was.
I've always thought Rio was extremely talented but a bit of a bottler. Vidic was the rock back there we needed which is why he became Captain. Rio was never captain material at any point in his career.
We won our first PL title in 4 years in Vidic's first full season and then totally dominated afterwards. Our attack was great in this period also but it was our defence which was truly legendary.
We once went 12 games in the league without conceding a single goal.
Van der Sar played a big part also but I think Vidic was the catalyst. He had that inner drive and determination only the true leaders have.
Overall, I'd say Ferdinand was slightly more talented but Vidic had a lot more to him than just talent.
Both were excellent but Rio gets regularly overrated whereas Vidic gets underrated. It's just the English media's way.

Stam was better than Rio also.

Tony247

Fair enough I guess my perception of him is tainted by his later years.

I didn't think he would be able to play the type of highline that a City/Liverpool play due to his pace issues but if he could then he is right up there with the best of them.

I'd still have a Rio/VVD partnership over a Rio/Terry or Terry/VVD though.
By pairing the best in their respective positions I would take John Terry and Steve Bruce. Deadly CB combination.

lex talionis

Rio was absolutely brilliant, but Vidic really was better. The testimony of his peers puts a full stop to any debate.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Terry embarrasses himself on Twitter on a regular basis. Constantly retweeting praise from any random he can find.

Reeks of insecurity.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I mean we all laughed away at him at the time as it was truly hilarious but did he really spit on tevez? Can't remember it, if so it's shameful that he didn't get sent off.

Also him taking the supposed wining penalty wasn't too bad, he was a great penalty taker.

fergies coat

I didn't knew that Chelsea fans are delusional (like Pool fans are).
Nobody is not denying that Terry was a beast. But Rio is level above. It is like it is. Ask 10 neutral fans and i bet 9 will say Rio.

Damn, this is like me going on Chelsea forum and claiming that Ruud is better than Drogba. You would be pissed, right?
Ruud was better than Drogba though.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
some of you united fans need to wobble yours heads. i think maybe because he was part of a team that began to end our stranglehold on the pl he is hated and as a result, under rated but it’s clear he’s in the top 5 of his profession for all time. i can only think of a couple of people definitely ahead of him, hitler and nick griffin. you can’t be mad at anyone who puts him lower than 3rd. at least he’s just motivated purely by race hate, unlike the likes of farage, who do it for cash.
:lol:

He should get an extra special mention for his ‘full kit wanker’ routine in that CL final aswell (the one he didn't play in)

SirAF

Ageist
Jesus, Rio was easily better than Terry. It’s not even a discussion.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Ferdinand and Terry are 1 and 2 in my opinion. Anyone claiming either is miles better than the other can't be taken seriously. Vidic in 3. Van Dijk 4. Kompany 5
Rio is miles better than others. Stam, Terry, Vidic, Kompany, Van Dijk, Adams....are on same level and behind him. You can't pick wrong one among them.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Rio is miles better than others. Stam, Terry, Vidic, Kompany, Van Dijk, Adams....are on same level and behind him. You can't pick wrong one among them.
Rio is the best centre half I've ever seen live. Outstanding player but it isn't possible to be miles better than the like of Terry, Vidic and Van Dijk who were/are all truly outstanding. Van Dijk for example doesn't have a weakness so how can you be much better than him. Its very fine margins separating those at the top.

mu4c_20le

Know you guys hate JT here but this is laughable. He’s comfortably in the top 5 CB‘s in the PL era. And certainly better than Rio.
Just here? :wenger:

And only a Chelsea fan could feel that way, although if I didn't know any better I'd say you were on a wum

LARulz

That adjustment of the armband was amazing, it actually angered me then and each time I watch it I get annoyed but laugh knowing what will happen. Only thing he didn't do was point to his name before he took it