RIP Brian Greenhoff

Sir A1ex

Apologies if I've missed the thread on this...

Brian Greenhoff has passed away, aged 60.

No age at all, Rest in Peace, Brian:(

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...rmer-manchester-united-england-player-4002915

Former Manchester United and England star Brian Greenhoff has died at the age of 60.

The skilful centre-half, who also played in midfield, passed away at his home in Rochdale this morning.

Brian, who was born in Barnsley, joined United in 1968 after representing Yorkshire Schoolboys.

He played in the same team as his brother, Jimmy, who joined the Reds in 1976.

Brian lifted the FA Cup with his beloved United in 1977 and won a Second Division winners medal in 1975.

He made 271 appearances for the Reds, scoring 17 times and won 18 caps for his country.

Brian's first-team bow came at the age of just 20 in 1973 and played his last game for United in 1979.

He was worshipped by the Stretford End and something of a **** hero with fans recognising him as one of their own.

Brian headed back across the Pennines to join Leeds United following his stint at Old Trafford and later went on to play for and coach Rochdale.

He moved with his family to Menorca before returning to Rochdale and last year wrote an autobiography.

Police were called to Brian's address this morning following reports of a sudden death as a matter of procedure.

The case has now been passed to the coroner.

Widnes

Very sad, followed his tweets on twitter he was a proper red. RIP

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Our thoughts to Greenhoff family.

One of my heroes as a kid.

westlife4ever

RIP. Sad, sad news. I remember reading a fantastic feature/interview with the Grennhoff brothers on IU last year.

Maplered

He was always brilliant for me fearless, great header of a ball, could play a bit on the floor as well, RIP Brian reds everywhere will miss you

Crumpsall Red

Very sad.

A great player very versatile, could play in a number of positions and always very dependable. That second division winning side is still my favourite United side despite the great teams we've had in the last 20 years. My first season of regular match going.

RIP Brian

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
My lasting memory of him was United away to Spurs years ago, he got injured but subs were used up and he was a passenger, they stuck him on right wing and he played a blinder, even hobbling

RIP

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Sad news. RIP Brian. One of my favourite of Docs Reds.

.Phil1968

Just got in from work and my boy told me, awful news one of my heroes when I was growing up, a very good player and formed a formidable partnership with Martin Buchan at the back.I remember him crying after the 76 Cup Final but he was back the following year when we beat the dippers.I had his book for Xmas, very honest read, and he put a personal message inside.R I P Brian.Really shocked and saddened.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
I read that Brian and jimmy hadn't spoke to each other for a while. I hope they patched things up.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
I read that Brian and jimmy hadn't spoke to each other for a while. I hope they patched things up.
:( It's never worth it, is it.

RIP Brian - one of my family's heroes.

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
How sad :(

I remember seeing his only goal for us...a screamer against Forest at Elland Road.

Man Utd Mrs

We all love our MUM
So sad to hear this news.
Brian was a favourite of mine in the team. I was lucky enough to meet him and his brother in 1977. Both lovely fella's.

R.I.P. Brian. You'll be missed.:(

mungy

I am a terrible poster, please ignore me
Sad news, lived close to me for years and was always polite. RIP.