Robben

VanNistelrater

Poncey film buff
MUFC Champions 2006/2007: Where will the goals com
Not sure if this is has been mentioned here, but Marca have said we're interested in Robben. As are City.

This would be a really good buy I think. Can play off either flank, left footed which we havent got at the moment in the first XI, can also score goals through the centre and is quick and creative.

Hope its true, but feel like Fergie would have asked for him as part of Ronaldo deal if it were. We know he's a fan though as he tried desperately to get him while he was at PSV.

Thoughts?

Ekeke

If you dont like greedy, unproductive and oft injured wingers, then you wont like Robben these days.

He's like Joaquin. Still looks great beating a man, but thats all he does anymore.

VanNistelrater

Poncey film buff
Not greedy at all, he's a player who'd take the game by the scruff of the neck. Bit more experienced than Nani too, would be a great option to have off the left.

Doesnt matter that he turned us down and injuries may be a question but that hardly stopped us with Owen or Hargreaves!

VanNistelrater

Poncey film buff
feck that he must be about 35 by now- we need youth
He's 25 you numpty!

And we need flair in the final third, is what we need. If we arent going for Silva or Costa (who may be too young and untried anyway) then Robben is a great option. He's played in the Premierleague too.

Comon Fergie, we're really only one player away from having a very good squad if today's showing is anything to go by.

Ekeke

Not greedy at all, he's a player who'd take the game by the scruff of the neck. Bit more experienced than Nani too, would be a great option to have off the left.

Doesnt matter that he turned us down and injuries may be a question but that hardly stopped us with Owen or Hargreaves!
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

He was dropped last season for being deemed too greedy.

Ekeke

He's 25 you numpty!

And we need flair in the final third, is what we need. If we arent going for Silva or Costa (who may be too young and untried anyway) then Robben is a great option. He's played in the Premierleague too.

Comon Fergie, we're really only one player away from having a very good squad if today's showing is anything to go by.
Costa isnt too young. He just hasnt done much at all. He's proven less so far than Anderson had proven at 17 years of age, and Costa is coming up to his 19th birthday.

He's as hyped up as they come. If he was Russian or something, I bet you'd never even have heard of him. But being a Brazillian, as soon as he did one good thing he was suddenly the target of everyone's fantasies.

pigface

Supports
Atlanta United
We do not need another sick-note. I know you are worried that Owen may get a bit lonely what with Wes and Gary back but give it two weeks and they will be back together again.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
No chance. Nani has a more promising career ahead of him.

We also have Gabriel Obertan as another winger/attacking midfielder. If we really wanted Robben, we would have got him. Fergie is more concerned with creating the stars of the future rather than signing established big names with baggage.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
In the few Holland matches I watched last year he was fantastic. He beats his man so easily it's sick.

For a decentish fee (under £15m) he'd be a great buy.

Oh, and he didn't turn us down, Peter Cuntion fecked it up.

Longlivekeano

I'd take him anywhere between 9-13 million pounds. He is quality. Nuff said. Fergie have been known to sign players even though he missed the boat a few times and do not have bad blood with players who turned him down once. A few included:

1) Shearer (when he was at Southampton and Newcastle)
2) Di Canio (Fergie knocked on his door a few times)
3) Laurent Blanc (Fergie must have tried to sign him for more than a decade)
4) Rooney (tried to sign him at 14/16)
5) Owen (tried to sign him at 12)

VoetbalWizard

if their attitudes were alright, a dutch triple swoop of sneijder, robben, and vdv would bolster our creative/attacking options wonderfully IMO. really don't think SAF would ever be interested in VDV though. I think both sneijder and robben would be first teamers for us and VDV would be a great option off the bench.

lysglimt

Scout
Why is it that people scream "injury prone" about a player without ever checking the facts. Michael Owen missed about 2 seasons with injuries - apart from those he has been playing as much as the next guy since he made his debut about 12 years ago - and people scream "injury prone" ?

Arjen Robben has played close to 250 leaguematches at the age of 25 - that means he has averaged close to 30 matches pr season. And even during his Chelsea-days when he did struggle a bit with injuries he did play 23-24 games pr season in average.

lysglimt

Scout
if their attitudes were alright, a dutch triple swoop of sneijder, robben, and vdv would bolster our creative/attacking options wonderfully IMO. really don't think SAF would ever be interested in VDV though. I think both sneijder and robben would be first teamers for us and VDV would be a great option off the bench.
I want quick players - so imo VDV is out - Sneijder and Robben however would be wonderful signings!

Red15

This report says that Robben's price would be somewhere in the region of £20 million.

Manchester United are considering a bid for Dutch star Arjen Robben | Give Me Football

If...and this is a big if...this is true, it would be a no brainer for me. After missing out on our presumed top targets this summer (Ribery, Benzema...and not being willing to plump down a fat fee for Costa), this would be a good deal for us.

This summer, in effect, we've lost Ronaldo/Tevez and brought in Valencia and Owen as their replacements. That obviously is not what Fergie had in mind when he was forced to let Ronaldo go. Bringing in Robben wouldn't balance it all out but it would redress it somewhat. Getting £80M for Ronaldo, paying £20M for Robben - that is not a bad deal at all, particularly given the ridiculously over-inflated prices teams have been paying this summer.

Yes, he can be really selfish and he is fragile. But on his day, he is as good as anyone flying up and down that wing. And we could really use another pacy creative winger. Nani and Robben can both play on the left/right and there would be more than enough games for them plus Valencia.

But Robben's been Real Madrid's best player this pre-season and unless Perez makes a late move for Ribery, I can't really see this happening. I think it is much more likely they'll put Robben up for sale next summer when they go for Ribery again, by which time there may be better long-term targets for us.

Brophs

The One and Only
Their game lacks pace. They have great players like (Gabriel) Heinze, (Fabio) Cannavaro, (Fernando) Gago, but they aren't quick. 'There is (Arjen) Robben, the only one who can give them some rhythm, but he isn't very brave.

Link

Doesn't sound to me like SAF would fancy him....

dev1l

Non-starter.

Even if he was not constantly injured/a greedy bastard and balding, I think Fergie's pride wouldn't let him sign Robben.

Let's not forget that before joining Chelsea was considered almost a deal-done by United until that u-turn.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He's 25 you numpty!

If you think our squad isn't already very good you're blind.

Red15

Non-starter.

Even if he was not constantly injured/a greedy bastard and balding, I think Fergie's pride wouldn't let him sign Robben.
There is that.

Speaking of Fergie's pride...the other Real Madrid player that I wish we would consider re-signing is RVN but given Fergie/Ruud's history I know that is a non-starter. We could probably get him for virtually nothing and Ruud has always remained a fan of the club. I remember a couple of years back reading that while someone (might have been Beckham) was being interviewed on camera, United had won the title that weekend, and RVN ran by and shouted "Manchester United".

No, he isn't a spring chicken any more, but he never had pace. And no one can sniff out a goal like he can.

But back to Robben...the injuries are a concern. He was actually relatively injury free last year, but then La Liga is a much less physical league.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him tear up the league this season and for his price to go up next summer. In a strange way, at least in the pre-season, he seems to have benefited most from all the big signings this summer even though this means 3/4 offensive slots are taken by Kaka/Ronaldo/Benzema. Because of all the talent there now, he hasn't been as heavily marked and has been ripping defences apart.

In a normal world, Real Madrid wouldn't consider selling Robben for £20M given how much they have paid out for each of their in coming players this season. In relation to those over-inflated prices, they'd definitely be selling Robben on the cheap. But rumour has it that Perez wants his own big named players in there, which could result in someone getting a good deal on Robben.

Instant Karma

Closet Gooner
Top player...would improve our attack by quite a bit.

Anyone under the impression that other teams will lie down like Wigan did are silly. We need another top class attacker to even be competing for the title - Rooney will have a dip in form or might miss a few games during the season

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Top player...would improve our attack by quite a bit.

Anyone under the impression that other teams will lie down like Wigan did are silly. We need another top class attacker to even be competing for the title - Rooney will have a dip in form or might miss a few games during the season
So, unless we sign another attacking player, we're not even going to compete? Friggin' hell! :eek:

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Their game lacks pace. They have great players like (Gabriel) Heinze, (Fabio) Cannavaro, (Fernando) Gago, but they aren't quick. 'There is (Arjen) Robben, the only one who can give them some rhythm, but he isn't very brave.

Link

Doesn't sound to me like SAF would fancy him....
That's probably the main reason this one is a non-starter. If Fergie doesn't rate a player's mentality its highly unlikely he'll want to manage him. Anyway, he'd add a fair bit to our attacking threat in the short term, but we have alot of prospects in the wide areas that need to get opportunites - Nani and Valencia both deserve the chance to claim tose places, plus theres Tosic, Obertan, Lllajic in the near future, even Wellbeck. If we do make another signing, a midfielder to add some goals and creativity in the centre would make more sense

Ekeke

He's just not that good of an option anymore. If he was, Real would be making sure to keep him as a sub and to rotate him in when Ronaldo or Kaka are injured or out of form. Instead they want rid. They've had enough of him and dont want him as part of their 25 man squad. Why anyone would think we'd want him as part of our first 11 is baffling, unless they havent been following him for a few seasons.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's just not that good of an option anymore. If he was, Real would be making sure to keep him as a sub and to rotate him in when Ronaldo or Kaka are injured or out of form. Instead they want rid. They've had enough of him and dont want him as part of their 25 man squad. Why anyone would think we'd want him as part of our first 11 is baffling, unless they havent been following him for a few seasons.
He would walk into our first 11. Sorry to say this Ekeke but it seems you didn't watch much of Madrid last season. He literally carried them for a good bit and was ripping teams apart for fun at times. Then his season tailed off as he lost his head a bit and started getting frustrated and his decision making fell away.

As a talent, he is ridiculously good when focused. His dribbling is probably only behind Messi's when on form, and he's much quicker. Nani's a good talent, and has great close control but he's nowhere near as devastating as Robben can be. Robben is more in Ronaldo's league in terms of how much of how dangerous he can be 'with the ball'. Obviously Ronaldo is just a freakishly complete player who is two footed AND built like a tank AND great in the air AND finishes like a poacher, so the comparison overall as players is rather unfair.

Ekeke

He would walk into our first 11. Sorry to say this Ekeke but it seems you didn't watch much of Madrid last season. He literally carried them for a good bit and was ripping teams apart for fun at times. Then his season tailed off as he lost his head a bit and started getting frustrated and his decision making fell away.

As a talent, he is ridiculously good when focused. His dribbling is probably only behind Messi's when on form, and he's much quicker. Nani's a good talent, and has great close control but he's nowhere near as devastating as Robben can be. Robben is more in Ronaldo's league in terms of how much of how dangerous he can be 'with the ball'. Obviously Ronaldo is just a freakishly complete player who is two footed AND built like a tank AND great in the air AND finishes like a poacher, so the comparison overall as players is rather unfair.
No, he didnt. He had a couple of games where his greedyness and ability to beat a man at will paid off, with him scoring some good goals. Then the next dozen games he tried the same thing and was extremely unproductive. Ramos dropped him as he was being too greedy without producing. It only works if you fire them in like Ronaldo. Then team mates and managers dont mind that you're most often looking for the glory yourself. But when you arent scoring or creating goals for others, you become hazardous to your own side with greed and thats why he was dropped and most likely a big part of the reason they are pushing him out of the door.

He wouldnt walk into our first 11 as clearly SAF no longer fancies him hence his comments last season. And he's not even a player Madrid want in their 25 man squad. Says it all.