Robben

Romaleouf

Just an off-hand analysis :-

ATTITUDE :
Chose Chelsea instead of us. But would probably relish playing along Rooney, Berbatov and Owen.

FITNESS :
Prone to injuries, he would probably not demand to play week-in week-out.

TEAM PLAY :
Accused of being selfish, but could show Valencia and Berbatov a thing-or-two about taking a chance early.

SKILLWISE :
On his day, he can take on anyone at right back. Speed wise not a Ronaldo but certainly would ease frustrations as compared with Berbatov's nonchalant style moving forward on the counter-attack.

PRICE :
If Liverpool is going for him at £16 million, we should tip the scales with a slightly, say £17 million just to upset the bid and might end up getting the player.

With the rumours and uncertainty of Anderson, and the possible loan deal for Tosic, it is good business to get Robben in as another left footed left sided player for the squad.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
It’s the red, red Robben

MANCHESTER UNITED will launch a deadline-busting bid to sign Arjen Robben from Real Madrid.

United have been quoted £26million but the Red Devils plan to force the price down this weekend.

Old Trafford chiefs will begin the process with a bid of around £11m - but an offer of £15m may be enough to bag the winger.

Robben, 26, is seen as the creative spark which can help fill the void left by £80m Cristiano Ronaldo.

The Dutchman has been in sparkling form for Real in pre-season.

But he is unlikely to get a look-in at the Bernabeu.

Robben came close to signing for Alex Ferguson's men from PSV Eindhoven in 2004 when he visited United's training ground.

But he opted for a £12m move to Chelsea.

The Blues doubled their money by flogging him to Madrid in 2007.

It’s the red, red Robben | The Sun |Sport|Football

Load of rubbish im sure - no quotes and its The Sun after all.

RedThaiDevils#7

Married with Manchester United, In love with Giggs
It’s the red, red Robben

MANCHESTER UNITED will launch a deadline-busting bid to sign Arjen Robben from Real Madrid.

United have been quoted £26million but the Red Devils plan to force the price down this weekend.

Old Trafford chiefs will begin the process with a bid of around £11m - but an offer of £15m may be enough to bag the winger.

Robben, 26, is seen as the creative spark which can help fill the void left by £80m Cristiano Ronaldo.

The Dutchman has been in sparkling form for Real in pre-season.

But he is unlikely to get a look-in at the Bernabeu.

Robben came close to signing for Alex Ferguson's men from PSV Eindhoven in 2004 when he visited United's training ground.

But he opted for a £12m move to Chelsea.

The Blues doubled their money by flogging him to Madrid in 2007.

It’s the red, red Robben | The Sun |Sport|Football

Load of rubbish im sure - no quotes and its The Sun after all.
Where's theres new whether bullsh*t or not, there's hope ( For all us Muppets ).

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
why the hell would we wait til deadline day to start bidding? Why not start bidding now and avoid all the last day madness, if possible. If we are actually going to bid, of course.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Not really. Messi dribbles more like maradona with that really close control(not saying that giggs doesn't have close control, but the ball literally sticks to messi's foot). Giggs used to jinx to the right, push the ball run, then push it to his left, then run, then right, then run. Robben does this really well.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
He was fantastic for Chelsea in his early years I thought, if he could be bought for a realistic price I think it could be a cracking signing.

Wonder is there's any truth in the many rumors that seem to be going about.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
is not going to happen... if Fergie ever wanted him Roben would have been a part of Ronaldo deal. the other thing is that I'm not sure who is a stronger side in this potential deal- and who will eventually benefit from a time-pressure factor. Bidding on a last day leaves very little time to seal the deal. I'm really wondering who might be more desperate- we to get him or Madrid to ship him out. If it is them we can get ourselves a good player for a reasonable sum of money, if it us who wants him badly =well we may end up paying over the odds. and with that number of wingers or players who can play on either wing (Nani, Valencia, Park, Giggs, Tosic, Rooney,Nando, Welbeck) we would probably sell/loan on of them first or just after the deal has been sealed.

but as i said - i don't see us signing him.

RedThaiDevils#7

Not really. Messi dribbles more like maradona with that really close control(not saying that giggs doesn't have close control, but the ball literally sticks to messi's foot). Giggs used to jinx to the right, push the ball run, then push it to his left, then run, then right, then run. Robben does this really well.
Agree with this. Giggs has his patterns, while Messi looks like he can stroll pass for fun sometimes.

RedThaiDevils#7

Agree with this. Giggs has his patterns, while Messi looks like he can stroll pass for fun sometimes. But if we're comparing who can get a better cross in when under pressure I'm sure Giggs is almost No.1 at his prime. Also Figo can share that No.1

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
In PL he scored 15 in 67, in La Liga 11 in 50. Not too shabby.

I want.

Then we can ship Park.

:eek::nervous:

BRobson

From the rumors I've heard of Robben, he sounds a bit of an arse. I know he didn't get on with Huntelaar, but to not pass to him and shout him down on the pitch when playing together is very unprofesional, and it seemed he turned others at Real against Huntelaar.

YouTube - madrid 16 3 001 arjen robben y huntelaar

Both Sport and AS have reported that the Oranje compatriots are struggling to get along with each other. During the clash at San Mames, after one of the attacking moves broke down between the two, Huntelaar asked Robben why he did not pass the ball. Robben responded by telling the striker to “shut up”, to which Klaas shot back, “Don’t tell me to shut up.”

The pair allegedly had a few more quiet confrontations throughout the rest of the contest and when Huntelaar was substituted for Dani Parejo late in the game, after Robben had been taken off for Julien Faubert, the former Ajax striker went to take a seat on the bench. The ex-Chelsea winger extended his hand as a goodwill gesture but Huntelaar did not respond in kind.

Ever since cementing his place in the first team in league games, Huntelaar has often been seen frustrated on the pitch due to the lack of service he has been getting from Robben.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Don't agree, if the price is right near the deadline and we get him for less than 20m, I dare say SAF will say why not ? He was a player that we though was worth the value for money.
i wouldn't be particularly sad if we got him, a good player who could prove to be a great signing for us. we shall see, transfer muppets can start their orgy ;)

Floyd

I'd rather keep Park, Floyd :p

Anyway to be fair to Robben I'm just naturally biased against him.:lol:
With Ronaldo gone I don't really see the point of Park. He offers very little going forward.

He's a good squad player mind and we wouldn't get all that much for him (what does that tell you?), so I guess he can stick around. Harsh on Evra selling both his friends.:)

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
why the hell would we wait til deadline day to start bidding? Why not start bidding now and avoid all the last day madness, if possible. If we are actually going to bid, of course.
Because Madrid want another sale and another big pay packet off the books. Robben isn't top of the for sale list (that's Sneidjer and Van der Vaart), but they would sell him and there are only a few clubs he'd be willing go to. There's nothing to be lost by sitting back - I'm sure his agent will phone us before he signs for another club.

As for should we sign him. As a gamble on someone cheap - he's not a bad gamble, a potential game changer and on his day he's exciting to watch and effective. We may be just the challenge he needs to bring out the best in him. Stranger thngs have happened - but rarely.

But anyone who thinks Nani's selfish will be horrified. If you thought Ronaldo neglected defensive duties at times, Robben's not your man. If you've ever suspected some players of being conveniently injured when the team's in trouble, or as revenge for being dropped from the big game they wanted to play in, Robben will annoy you. I think the sulking can just be taken as read.

Above all, if he's a starter and he's not playing well or the team's not playing well, his willingness to vanish will drive you up the wall. I can forgive a player for almost anything, but I can't forgive them for giving up.

Should be a great player, but I don't see him ever getting there. Who knows though - maybe he's just always picked the wrong club. In which case he'll be off to Citeh.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
is not going to happen... if Fergie ever wanted him Roben would have been a part of Ronaldo deal. the other thing is that I'm not sure who is a stronger side in this potential deal- and who will eventually benefit from a time-pressure factor. Bidding on a last day leaves very little time to seal the deal. I'm really wondering who might be more desperate- we to get him or Madrid to ship him out. If it is them we can get ourselves a good player for a reasonable sum of money, if it us who wants him badly =well we may end up paying over the odds. and with that number of wingers or players who can play on either wing (Nani, Valencia, Park, Giggs, Tosic, Rooney,Nando, Welbeck) we would probably sell/loan on of them first or just after the deal has been sealed.

but as i said - i don't see us signing him.
People say that but as time goes by I have to disagree. If we put him in the Ronaldo deal, they would estimate his value at 25+ million which would eat into the 80million

If we are interested, which is a big IF, we've taken a risk by playing a waiting game knowing Madrid are despirate to sell. This pushes the price down..

But for now it's just speculation

Cold_Boy

All the people asking why we didnt sign Robben as a part of the Ronaldo deal if he really wanted?

Well the reason is because obviously Robben was not out first chooice target when we sold Ronaldo and we had plenty to time to sign other players.

But now that we have failed to sign the other big players,Robben may be on the radar.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
With Ronaldo gone I don't really see the point of Park. He offers very little going forward.
He is not that bad tbf. But he isn't starter quality. Besides, with the creative and selfless Rooney and Berbatov upfront, we could accommodate Robben's selfishness on one flank tbh.(I can't believe I'm admitting that:eek:) He'd give pentetration and goals, which can't be said for most EPL wingers.

He's a good squad player mind and we wouldn't get all that much for him (what does that tell you?)
That he is a great squad player. :D Squad player are not supposed to be sold.

, so I guess he can stick around. Harsh on Evra selling both his friends.:)
Yea.:)

The_Red_Hope

But surely if this is true we are going for the wrong Dutchman ... Sneijder is what we need. has his deal with Inter been finalized? Nani, Park, Giggs, Tosic, Obertan, Valencia ... Yes, many of them are off form and Giggsy doesn't always on the wing too much anymore but thats a lot of options for any team to have. Centre of midfield I tell you.

Kaiketsu_Zorro

But surely if this is true we are going for the wrong Dutchman ... Sneijder is what we need. has his deal with Inter been finalized? Nani, Park, Giggs, Tosic, Obertan, Valencia ... Yes, many of them are off form and Giggsy doesn't always on the wing too much anymore but thats a lot of options for any team to have. Centre of midfield I tell you.
Scholes, Fletcher, Anderson, Carrick, Giggs, Gibson + Hargreaves all vying for 2 spots isnt bad either... However I'd rather we had quality over quantity, and in my opinion we lack it more on the wings. Jury is still out on Valencia, there's a question mark over Nani as to if he can be consistent enough to hold up a regular place in the side, whereas Park just isn't United quality. Tosic should have at least won a place on the bench by now, while Obertan is a big question.

If we were to buy either Robben or Sneijder, it's definitely Robben we should go for.

The_Red_Hope

Scholes, Fletcher, Anderson, Carrick, Giggs, Gibson + Hargreaves all vying for 2 spots aren't bad either... However I'd rather we had quality over quantity, and in my opinion we lack it more on the wings. Jury is still out on Valencia, there's a question mark over Nani as to if he can be consistent enough to hold up a regular place in the side, whereas Park just isn't United quality. Tosic should have at least won a place on the bench by now, while Obertan is a big question.

If we were to buy either Robben or Sneijder, it's definitely Robben we should go for.
I see your point .. we definitely have a lot of inexperince on the wings but we need to trim our squad a bit before getting any new wingers thats all. We are lacking attacking flair in the centre of mid-field ... Scholesy, Carrick, Anderson have all been wildly inconsistent and unpredictable for a while now. A fully fit Hargreaves would be good right now ... but that seems to be oxymoron right now. Not enough goal creating threat from the middle. Sneijder would give us that extra quality in the middle and he'll score goals as well.

Kaiketsu_Zorro

I see your point .. we definitely have a lot of inexperince on the wings but we need to trim our squad a bit before getting any new wingers thats all. We are lacking attacking flair in the centre of mid-field ... Scholesy, Carrick, Anderson have all been wildly inconsistent and unpredictable for a while now. A fully fit Hargreaves would be good right now ... but that seems to be oxymoron right now. Not enough goal creating threat from the middle. Sneijder would give us that extra quality in the middle and he'll score goals as well.
Agreed that we don't have enough attacking flair in the centre right now. I guess that's why Fletcher looks like our best CM at the moment... but I'm sure Carrick can regain his top form in no time and I have faith in Anderson. Hargreaves should return at some point this season so we should be ok. In my opinion we're just taking a bigger gamble going into the season with our current wingers rather than CMs.

I do not expect you to finally agree with me and I respect your opinion :)

Floyd

I really hope this doesn't happen... too injury prone
He's played 50 La Liga matches the last two seasons, Rooney's played 57 PL matches. The difference is not all that.

The_Red_Hope

Agreed that we don't have enough attacking flair in the centre right now. I guess that's why Fletcher looks like our best CM at the moment... but I'm sure Carrick can regain his top form in no time and I have faith in Anderson. Hargreaves should return at some point this season so we should be ok. In my opinion we're just taking a bigger gamble going into the season with our current wingers rather than CMs.

I do not expect you to finally agree with me and I respect your opinion :)

:D

Got my fingers crossed on Carrick and Anderson getting their fingers out and playing well soon. That would be just what we need, it would be great for us if Anderson has a break out year and consistently delivers on his potential.

RedThaiDevils#7

For me Messi reminds of Giggs because like Giggs at a similar age, no fullback could fail to be beaten by him. He'd simply leave them with twisted blood. Robben on the other hand, as Pool showed last season, is very stoppable even on form.
So basically every RM player who played shite against pool last season is a bad ? Higuain now Robben ? I see where this is leading.

Fair enough on Giggs as they both can beat fullbacks with ease, though I still think they play in different positions.