Robben

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
No, he didnt. He had a couple of games where his greedyness and ability to beat a man at will paid off, with him scoring some good goals. Then the next dozen games he tried the same thing and was extremely unproductive. Ramos dropped him as he was being too greedy without producing. It only works if you fire them in like Ronaldo. Then team mates and managers dont mind that you're most often looking for the glory yourself. But when you arent scoring or creating goals for others, you become hazardous to your own side with greed and thats why he was dropped and most likely a big part of the reason they are pushing him out of the door.

He wouldnt walk into our first 11 as clearly SAF no longer fancies him hence his comments last season. And he's not even a player Madrid want in their 25 man squad. Says it all.
Attitude problem is a different issue. For purely football reasons, you're kidding yourself if you think Nani or Valencia would start ahead of him. Fergie fancying him or not is a different matter.

Ekeke

Attitude problem is a different issue. For purely football reasons, you're kidding yourself if you think Nani or Valencia would start ahead of him. Fergie fancying him or not is a different matter.
Obviously not, since Fergie picks the team. If he thinks he's soft he probably wouldnt pick him in the first team over two players he's gone out and bought instead of him.

He's not the same Robben who was at Chelsea. People need to let go. He's just a great ball runner and average shooter, with no intention at all of passing the ball to better positioned team mates. Every now and then, and more then than now, he'll get a goal. But each time he scores you're thinking "Yeah but he should have had 6 by now".

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Obviously not, since Fergie picks the team. If he thinks he's soft he probably wouldnt pick him in the first team over two players he's gone out and bought instead of him.

He's not the same Robben who was at Chelsea. People need to let go. He's just a great ball runner and average shooter, with no intention at all of passing the ball to better positioned team mates. Every now and then, and more then than now, he'll get a goal. But each time he scores you're thinking "Yeah but he should have had 6 by now".
I'm talking about him being good enough not Fergie wanting him. There are tons of players good enough for us who Fergie doesn't want. Lets agree to disagree. I know he's greedy but that's where Fergie comes in. IMO he's a devastating player with some big flaws in his game which, if ioned out, would be world class.

Ekeke

Well sure, its nothing a boot to the face couldnt fix. But Robben has a reputation for being "injured" and unavailable anytime he doesnt feel 105% fit. A boot from Fergie and he'd probably retire.

Alex

This report says that Robben's price would be somewhere in the region of £20 million.

Manchester United are considering a bid for Dutch star Arjen Robben | Give Me Football

If...and this is a big if...this is true, it would be a no brainer for me. After missing out on our presumed top targets this summer (Ribery, Benzema...and not being willing to plump down a fat fee for Costa), this would be a good deal for us.

This summer, in effect, we've lost Ronaldo/Tevez and brought in Valencia and Owen as their replacements. That obviously is not what Fergie had in mind when he was forced to let Ronaldo go. Bringing in Robben wouldn't balance it all out but it would redress it somewhat. Getting £80M for Ronaldo, paying £20M for Robben - that is not a bad deal at all, particularly given the ridiculously over-inflated prices teams have been paying this summer.

Yes, he can be really selfish and he is fragile. But on his day, he is as good as anyone flying up and down that wing. And we could really use another pacy creative winger. Nani and Robben can both play on the left/right and there would be more than enough games for them plus Valencia.

But Robben's been Real Madrid's best player this pre-season and unless Perez makes a late move for Ribery, I can't really see this happening. I think it is much more likely they'll put Robben up for sale next summer when they go for Ribery again, by which time there may be better long-term targets for us.
20 million, feck THAT

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Manchester City are spending £24m on Joleon Lescott, Alex.

Red15

Manchester City are spending £24m on Joleon Lescott, Alex.
That's the thing. This isn't a normal year.

And with Real Madrid paying £80M for Ronaldo, is Robben worth 1/4 of the price for Ronaldo? I would say yes.

If we ended up spending the Ronaldo money on Robben, Silva next year, and one more genuine quality player, I'd be satisfied. Ideally, we would have kept Ronaldo, but that wasn't an option.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Oh aye, but I'm just showing how £20m for Robben is nowhere near as ridiculous as it may seem. To be honest, Robben was actually brilliant at times last season, and fully justified that sort of figure, but I wouldn't want him here due to his injuries, his inconsistency and also the fact that he's a massive bellend. Ridiculously talented, obviously.

buckooo1978

Oh aye, but I'm just showing how £20m for Robben is nowhere near as ridiculous as it may seem. To be honest, Robben was actually brilliant at times last season, and fully justified that sort of figure, but I wouldn't want him here due to his injuries, his inconsistency and also the fact that he's a massive bellend. Ridiculously talented, obviously.
have to agree....

top top quality and would be the best winger in england if he came back but attitude/injury problems

also the twit turned us down for chelski's money

talking robot

I'd take him here. We need some more quality depth on the wings. He wouldn't play every game, so that would help with the injuries a bit.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Seems to me that we've had our name brought into the race simply so Madrid can get a better asking price for Robben. I really doubt we're interested

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
There are very few wingers left who can beat a modern full-back with the same ease as Robben. I'm not that convinced by the end product of his left foot, but only Messi is superior at the traditional winger role of getting into space behind full-backs.

Last season, his resurgent form coincided with Real's run of 18 wins in 19 La Liga games and while he wasn't as pivotal as Higuain, he nevertheless had a solid season. Internationally he was pretty useful as well, putting in some creative performances.

Red15

And he's not even a player Madrid want in their 25 man squad. Says it all.
He was one of those earmarked to be shipped out when Perez made all his big signings because he was probably their most saleable asset for big money and was a big signing from the old regime. But with his stellar performances in pre-season, he's actually won over Pelligrini who has now said Robben is not on his transferable list, and from the Spanish press it seems like Valdano is now in his corner as well. But the thing with Robben is his situation is now seemingly all tied up with the club's politics:

Robben: Uncertainty at Real Madrid - Netherlands

It's actually a bit of an interesting sideshow watching all the maneuverings with their Dutch players this summer and how it's NOT all going to plan for Real Madrid. Huntelaar was called in and told his new club was going to be Stuttgart. (Incredibly arrogant for a club to buy a player during the winter transfer window and then try to ship him out to a team of their choice a few months later). Huntelaar didn't like that one bit and eventually got the move he wanted to AC Milan.

Huntelaar slams Real management 12 August 2009 - 8:46 AM | Sport.co.uk

With Van der Vaart, apparently Pelligrini told him weeks ago that he didn't figure in his plans, wouldn't get a squad number and he wouldn't even be registered to play (as they have a maximum number of 25 players they can register to play in the league). A FIFPro lawyer then came out and said because of this, VDV should be allowed to leave on a free:

Van der Vaart tipped to leave for free - FourFourTwo

My guess is this one will go down to the wire and VDV will be able to go to the club of his choice at a much lower fee than Real Madrid had originally planned. There are rumours Arsenal is interested in him, but only for a fee of about 6 million euros. That would be a steal.

Finally, there's Sneijder, who was originally told by Pelligrini, that he WAS in his plans and would have a definite role with the team. Now it looks like the powers that be at the club have decided to cash in on him and are trying to push him into a move with Inter Milan. But Sneijder has come out and said he's going to stay and fight for his place with Real Madrid. Whether he means this or is simply angling for a bigger pay packet with Inter Milan remains to be seen. Meanwhile, he and Real Madrid are at a total impasse with Pelligrini seemingly being forced to drop Sneijder from his squad. How this one ends up is anyone's guess.

But it looks like borrowing a couple hundred million euros from the Spanish banks even in this economic climate was the easy part. Shifting their unwanted players is proving to be much tougher.

Alex

He was one of those earmarked to be shipped out when Perez made all his big signings because he was probably their most saleable asset for big money and was a big signing from the old regime. But with his stellar performances in pre-season, he's actually won over Pelligrini who has now said Robben is not on his transferable list, and from the Spanish press it seems like Valdano is now in his corner as well. But the thing with Robben is his situation is now seemingly all tied up with the club's politics:

Robben: Uncertainty at Real Madrid - Netherlands

It's actually a bit of an interesting sideshow watching all the maneuverings with their Dutch players this summer and how it's NOT all going to plan for Real Madrid. Huntelaar was called in and told his new club was going to be Stuttgart. (Incredibly arrogant for a club to buy a player during the winter transfer window and then try to ship him out to a team of their choice a few months later). Huntelaar didn't like that one bit and eventually got the move he wanted to AC Milan.

Huntelaar slams Real management 12 August 2009 - 8:46 AM | Sport.co.uk

With Van der Vaart, apparently Pelligrini told him weeks ago that he didn't figure in his plans, wouldn't get a squad number and he wouldn't even be registered to play (as they have a maximum number of 25 players they can register to play in the league). A FIFPro lawyer then came out and said because of this, VDV should be allowed to leave on a free:

Van der Vaart tipped to leave for free - FourFourTwo

My guess is this one will go down to the wire and VDV will be able to go to the club of his choice at a much lower fee than Real Madrid had originally planned. There are rumours Arsenal is interested in him, but only for a fee of about 6 million euros. That would be a steal.

Finally, there's Sneijder, who was originally told by Pelligrini, that he WAS in his plans and would have a definite role with the team. Now it looks like the powers that be at the club have decided to cash in on him and are trying to push him into a move with Inter Milan. But Sneijder has come out and said he's going to stay and fight for his place with Real Madrid. Whether he means this or is simply angling for a bigger pay packet with Inter Milan remains to be seen. Meanwhile, he and Real Madrid are at a total impasse with Pelligrini seemingly being forced to drop Sneijder from his squad. How this one ends up is anyone's guess.

But it looks like borrowing a couple hundred million euros from the Spanish banks even in this economic climate was the easy part. Shifting their unwanted players is proving to be much tougher.
It seems Madrid are much better at buying players than selling them

UBERScholes

I'd find it flattering if someone hard rubbed agai
Would be interested in seeing Robben at United. Would be a big gamble, but could be very rewarding

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
This greedy thing is based on the fact Kenyon tried to undercut PSV who had accepted the initial bid. Kenyon seemed to do a lot of that sort of shit before he defected to Chelsea leaving the obvious notion that he did it on purpose. He fecked Ronaldinho around too!

Eto'odinho

Retard magnet
He is what we need but the signing of Valencia may have blocked such a transfer. With Nani beginning to show some promise again, it is safe to say that he will for the time being be one of our first choice wing forwards. Valencia needs to start showing that there is a lot more to his game than just running around and whipping in a cross at the first opportunity.

RK

Seems like people just want us to spunk £20m on a big name for no reason except we've got the money.

RufRT

Obama Fan
Would be useful in a United shirt...not for 20 million though

Colly

I actually hate the lad, he embodies everything that's rotten about the modern footballer. He's a greedy, bitter, sulking cheat ! BUT he is bloody effective and if were able to keep him fit he'd be a savage addition to our attack. £20M is a wee bit steep, if they drop it to £15M I think we'd be mad not to go for it.........also, remember that he needs to be playing top level football with the World Cup coming up and he's going to dissolve in the Madrid reserves. I reckon he'd work his whingy little socks off at Utd.......

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I'd much rather see Nani get a proper chance. Robben is a class player and I think the undoubted problem about keeping the ball too much could be sorted out, but I'm not so sure he'd be a good fit for us, he has an ego on him, and he gets injured a fair bit.

RedThaiDevils#7

Married with Manchester United, In love with Giggs
He is what we need but the signing of Valencia may have blocked such a transfer. With Nani beginning to show some promise again, it is safe to say that he will for the time being be one of our first choice wing forwards. Valencia needs to start showing that there is a lot more to his game than just running around and whipping in a cross at the first opportunity.
I thought Valencia played perfectly fine. He's better than Park with much more to offer. Whipping in crosses gave us the first goal in the 5-0 win so why not whip them ? For small teams we could try Nani and Robben on the wings why not for bigger teams Nani-Valencia or Robben-Valencia who ever is fitter or is in form would work. I can only say why not Robben but for around 17.5m. 20m odd sounds a bit steep regarding injuries and the greed that the caf claims.

izzydiggler

Can't see us being interested but fit and on-form he is world class and much better than Valencia and Nani. I'd have doubts about long term fitness and attitude but the way the market is, you could do a lot worse. But SAF seems adament that there'll be no arrivals.

Denis' cuff

Not greedy at all, he's a player who'd take the game by the scruff of the neck. Bit more experienced than Nani too, would be a great option to have off the left.

Doesnt matter that he turned us down and injuries may be a question but that hardly stopped us with Owen or Hargreaves!
:rolleyes:

Hargreaves' injury developed after he arrived here and Owen doesn't have any injury problems.

BaldwinLegend

I'd much rather see Nani get a proper chance. Robben is a class player and I think the undoubted problem about keeping the ball too much could be sorted out, but I'm not so sure he'd be a good fit for us, he has an ego on him, and he gets injured a fair bit.
This sums up my thoughts perfectly.

I'd add though, that if Robben had sustained the same shoulder injury that Nani did recently, he'd never have come back 4 days later... As you say, I'd far rather give Nani a good and proper chance because in the long run I think he'll offer us far greater consistency. Robben would arrive with too much baggage and you'd risk him having a negative effect on our dressing room. I like the way Nani is going about things this season and I think he's only going to get better and better...

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Robben is an awesome player, i've watched him a few times and the way he beats his man is simply breath taking.

IF we do get him then i guess it will be the end for the likes of Tosic, Park and possibly Nani..

Crerand Legend

Forgive me but did Fergie not say on Friday again that he would not sign any more players this summer,speculating about Robben or anybody else is a waste of time

Ekeke

Robben is an awesome player, i've watched him a few times and the way he beats his man is simply breath taking.

IF we do get him then i guess it will be the end for the likes of Tosic, Park and possibly Nani..
Well, as long as thats all you want from a winger...

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
....m.

That is the same Robben that was at Chelsea.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Robben is a bit of a dick it seems, but as wingers go, he's one of the best. He has that ability to inject pace from standing that reminds me of a young Giggs. (Not even daring compare him to Ryan apart from that though.)