Robben

Brophs

The One and Only
Thats not my point, in the past we seems to be able to lure the top bracket of players you would hear players talk United up but it just seems that most players have their eyes on la liga now (or more focused at Real Madrid). I agree United have always seemed more inclined to make world class players opposed to buying them but IMO buying Robben would almost signal that we only got him because other (better) players had turned us down - like Ribery and Benezema
Nah, it's exactly your point. I asked when you think we were able to lure these 'top bracket' players here. Simply saying in the past we seemed to be able to isn't an answer. Not without mentioning a few of these 'top players' you reckon we got.

The Latin players were always more inclined to go to Spain, Italy, Germany and Portugal. That won't change as long as our culture is so different to theirs, and work permit regulations stay as they are. Not to mention the 50% tax rate. And the fact they grew up watching thos leagues rather than the then-developing Premier League.

This club will always struggle with attracting the very, very top players both for reasons of money and geography, to name but two factors. It was ever thus, to be honest.

OneUnited24

Nah, it's exactly your point. I asked when you think we were able to lure these 'top bracket' players here. Simply saying in the past we seemed to be able to isn't an answer. Not without mentioning a few of these 'top players' you reckon we got.

The Latin players were always more inclined to go to Spain, Italy, Germany and Portugal. That won't change as long as our culture is so different to theirs, and work permit regulations stay as they are. Not to mention the 50% tax rate. And the fact they grew up watching thos leagues rather than the then-developing Premier League.

This club will always struggle with attracting the very, very top players both for reasons of money and geography, to name but two factors. It was ever thus, to be honest.
Fair enough, totally agree about European footballers watching the Italian/Spainish league when they were younger and "dreaming". But i do believe that we have lost some sort of appeal but it could be more to do with the league losing its appeal rather than just us - i mean each league has its highs and lows, first it was Seria A then La Liga then the PS and now it seems to go back to La Liga

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Fair enough, totally agree about European footballers watching the Italian/Spainish league when they were younger and "dreaming". But i do believe that we have lost some sort of appeal but it could be more to do with the league losing its appeal rather than just us - i mean each league has its highs and lows, first it was Seria A then La Liga then the PS and now it seems to go back to La Liga
you say la liga though but it isn't. It's Barcalona who won the european cup and real madrid who have spent around 200million....

Liverpool have no money, arsenal have never spent big, chelsea don't really need anyone and we've chosen not to use the money...

Prices right now are distorted and that's for everyone but come the end of the season we'll see how things progress

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
There are an awful lot more Brazilians and Argentinians in Germany than the UK, no?
Probably, but they are not any good are they?

Who cares if Utterwankinho plays for Schalke instead of Tottenham?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Just read on Serbian news site that Robben has gone to Bayern for 25 million Euros..

Anyone else seen this anywhere?
It's not confirmed by the clubs yet but it is everywhere. I assume a deal between the clubs is agreed. Whether Robben has agreed personal terms - I don't know, it seems too sudden for that.

The Spanish press says there's an "accord" for Madrid to get first shot at Ribery next year as part of the deal. But I don't know what that means either! Presumably they've agreed a fee and then it'll be up to Madrid/Ribery to take up the option next season or not.

Anduin

There'll be a Bayern Munich press conference right after the Champions League draw in the evening. You can be sure they'll inform the public that they've signed Robben today. I guess Bayern told Real they can have Ribery next year for a fixed fee if they sell them Robben now.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Ribery and Robben on the flanks would be devestatingly good. Usually the case though that if one comes in the other's on his way out.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
I imagine that Ribery will be heading in the opposite direction. If not Madrid then certainly somewhere.

Bayern have Schweinsteiger on the wings too. With Ribery's contract coming to an end soon it looks like they have to sell really.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Big mistake from Madrid unless he does go on to suffer a long term injury. I really think they could have used him and Wesley as utility players who were determined to stay.
I don't think I've ever heard anyone call Robben a utility player before.

Madrid wanted them gone - they even talk about them as a set the "Holandes" or the "tulipanes" - it's not got much to do with football except that they were chosen as the fallguys for Barca's treble.

Robben could have stayed at Madrid, they weren't actually kicking him out (unlike Van der Vaart who's still sitiing tight) but I think he probably weighed up the entire atmosphere of the last few weeks and decided he'd be better off somewhere else.

VoetbalWizard

robben-ribery wings is very good, but i think this just means that madrid are getting ribery either this round or a garunteed option for him next summer for bucket loads of money.

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
The Spanish papers claim Real got a first option on Ribery next year or something like that.

davisjw

Bollocks, another quality player heading to Real then in Ribery... Until he moves on however Bayern will be dangerous with their wingers... Maybe they can finally win one in their league now :lol:

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Bayern talking of Robben AND Ribery on the flanks this season with Robben on the right.

prateik

Jorge Valdano on french radio said that there is still of chance of signing Ribery before the deadline
if he was going to madrid this summer then surely robben wouldve been a part of that deal

think he will stay on for another season

Franq

Scored two goals on his debut.
comparing that with the way Nani and Valencia played today makes me wonder... i hope SAF proves me wrong and Nani and Valencia will turn out to be wonderfull, but right now, i just dont understand that theyre playing for manchester united... Iif they were considered squad players like park and oshea, it would be a different matter, but theyre not, theyre both first team players... and IMO not good enough by a country mile... or hundred.

Ekeke

comparing that with the way Nani and Valencia played today makes me wonder... i hope SAF proves me wrong and Nani and Valencia will turn out to be wonderfull, but right now, i just dont understand that theyre playing for manchester united... Iif they were considered squad players like park and oshea, it would be a different matter, but theyre not, theyre both first team players... and IMO not good enough by a country mile... or hundred.
Nani was, as with every game this season, one of our better players.

Franq

Nani was, as with every game this season, one of our better players.
hmm, i'll concede that Nani wasnt that bad, but, and i dont know why, i just have this negative 'vibe' with those two characters... like i said, i hope to be proven wrong....

Ekeke

hmm, i'll concede that Nani wasnt that bad, but, and i dont know why, i just have this negative 'vibe' with those two characters... like i said, i hope to be proven wrong....
Well they do still have a lot to prove. But Nani is doing about as well as we could have expected towards doing that.

Alwyn

Got rid of his pee

Could only find a vid of one of his goals. Have to say, I hope their centre halves are that bad when Rooney's advancing on them.

Franq

robben is going to torch bundesliga. that much is obvious. he wont be there more than 2 years IMO.
166 goals in 31 games... bump this thread in 11 months....

seriously, i think robben is one of the best wingers in the world when he is allowed some space to run into, but as soon as they find out in the BL, theyll have two defenders on him constantly and he'll struggle as he he isnt that good with the ball at his feet in small spaces....