Robert Lewandowski 2019/20 performances

iKnowNothing

Don’t know if it’s some joke going on here, but why is Harry Kane even being mentioned in this thread? Assuming Augero is overrated, Kane shouldn’t even get a mention here.

Eddy_JukeZ

Don’t know if it’s some joke going on here, but why is Harry Kane even being mentioned in this thread? Assuming Augero is overrated, Kane shouldn’t even get a mention here.
I don't know. I think Kane the past 3-4 years has been better than Aguero.

TheLord

Aguero is way too highly rated on here(probably because of his excellent record vs us in the derby).

In reality, Lewa and Suarez are clearly better than him.

I'm not sure if Aguero is better than Benzema or Ibra.
Benzema over Aguero!
Aguero beats Benzema in almost all goalscoring metrics: total goals, goals per match, goals per minute, goals that contributed to the team's win, average expected goals (xG) vs average goals, average xG vs average touches in the box. Benzema has clearly had a very good 2019/2020 season, whereas Aguero hasn't played much, but to say Benzema is the better overall striker is not correct.

There are a few metrics where Benzema wins - more trophies, more CL goals, but you'd expect
that with any Real Madrid player. He also has more assists per match, but we are talking about a #9 here.

They are of similar age, and Benzema has a few more years in him (better fitness, less injury-prone), whereas Aguero probably doesn't. And Benzema has a better left-foot than Aguero, if that can be called a metric!

Eddy_JukeZ

Benzema over Aguero!
Aguero beats Benzema in almost all goalscoring metrics: total goals, goals per match, goals per minute, goals that contributed to the team's win, average expected goals (xG) vs average goals, average xG vs average touches in the box. Benzema has clearly had a very good 2019/2020 season, whereas Aguero hasn't played much, but to say Benzema is the better overall striker is not correct.

There are a few metrics where Benzema wins - more trophies, more CL goals, but you'd expect
that with any Real Madrid player
. He also has more assists per match, but we are talking about a #9 here.

They are of similar age, and Benzema has a few more years in him (better fitness, less injury-prone), whereas Aguero probably doesn't. And Benzema has a better left-foot than Aguero, if that can be called a metric!
I think Benzema is a more versatile player, so I'd have him as the better overall player.

That said, if I needed a goalscorer in my team, I would pick Aguero 1st. If I have goalscorers(like a Ronaldo), I would definitely pick Benzema to provide further support.

As re: the bold, plenty of strikers have played for Real Madrid. To attribute Benzema having more CL goals only because he plays for Real is silly. Benzema's goals per game ratio is slightly less than Aguero while providing far more than goals and playing almost the majority of those games as 2nd foil to Ronaldo.

TheLord

I think Benzema is a more versatile player, so I'd have him as the better overall player.

That said, if I needed a goalscorer in my team, I would pick Aguero 1st. If I have goalscorers(like a Ronaldo), I would definitely pick Benzema to provide further support.

As re: the bold, plenty of strikers have played for Real Madrid. To attribute Benzema having more CL goals only because he plays for Real is silly. Benzema's goals per game ratio is slightly less than Aguero while providing far more than goals and playing almost the majority of those games as 2nd foil to Ronaldo.
If I had to bet my house on which player will score in the next match, with everything else controlled/matched, I will put my money on a prime Aguero over a prime Benzema any day.

My post was in the context of a better "pure #9", and had nothing to do with versatility, and who played the more second fiddle role, or had more assists and so forth.

Last edited:

Eddy_JukeZ

If I had to bet my house on which player will score in the next match, with everything else controlled/matched, I will put my money on a prime Aguero over prime Benzema any day.

My post was in the context of a better "pure #9", and had nothing to do with versatility, and who played the more second fiddle role, or had more assists and so forth.
In the CL, evidence points to it being extremely equal.

"Pure #9" is an overrated concept. If a striker helps you team secure more victories while scoring a few goals less, why is he inferior?

TheLord

In the CL, evidence points to it being extremely equal.

"Pure #9" is an overrated concept. If a striker helps you team secure more victories while scoring a few goals less, why is he inferior?
You're mixing up two different things.

You're saying that the Boeing 747 is the better plane than the Concorde because it is better-value.

I am saying that the Concorde flying at 1300+ mph is the faster plane than the Boeing 747 flying at 600+ mph.

You're mixing up concepts. I never talked about better value, overall better, more rounded or whatever else.

Eddy_JukeZ

You're mixing up two different things.

You're saying that the Boeing 747 is the better plane than the Concorde because it is better-value.

I am saying that the Concorde flying at 1300+ mph is the faster plane than the Boeing 747 flying at 600+ mph.

You're mixing up concepts. I never talked about better value, overall better, more rounded or whatever else.
Fair enough.

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
People mentioning Aguero, Benzema and Suarez etc, it has to be pointed out that they are playing generally in better leagues than Lewa is, and for less dominant teams for the overall period of the past 5 or so years. It's not a factor to be dismissed, although Lewandowski is truly incredible as a forward.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
The Bundesliga is actually a much harder league to score than many of you are making out to be.

The fact that the Golden Boot hasn't been won by a Bundesliga player since Gerd Muller in 1972, almost 50 years ago should speak volumes.

If any league has been proven easy to score in, it should be the Spanish league where aside of Messi and Ronaldo, many players were easily scoring 30+ goals such as Forlan, Falcao, Suarez many picking up Golden Boots in the process. In Bundesliga it's actually quite rare to score 30+ goals.

The lower half teams in Bundesliga are a lot stronger than those in Spain. In part due to the more evenly distributed TV money.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Aside from Messi and Ronaldo who else has managed to score 40+ goals 5 seasons in a row from aroun 09-19? I can't think of anyone else...

Ronaldo managed 50+ goals 6 seasons in a row from 2010-2016 which is just stupid (8 seasons in a row 40+ goals). Messi managed 40+ goals 10 seasons in a row from 09-19... :eek:

Lewandowski is easily the most consistent in terms of goals outside of them and he does it while playing less league games.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
The Bundesliga is actually a much harder league to score than many of you are making out to be.

The fact that the Golden Boot hasn't been won by a Bundesliga player since Gerd Muller in 1972, almost 50 years ago should speak volumes.

If any league has been proven easy to score in, it should be the Spanish league where aside of Messi and Ronaldo, many players were easily scoring 30+ goals such as Forlan, Falcao, Suarez many picking up Golden Boots in the process. In Bundesliga it's actually quite rare to score 30+ goals.

The lower half teams in Bundesliga are a lot stronger than those in Spain. In part due to the more evenly distributed TV money.
'Should speak volumes' :lol:

You're completely oblivious to the fact that they play 4 games fewer than the other big leagues. That's the only reason they don't win golden boots and score 30+ goals.

Paul_Scholes18

'Should speak volumes' :lol:

You're completely oblivious to the fact that they play 4 games fewer than the other big leagues. That's the only reason they don't win golden boots and score 30+ goals.
4 games is not an insane difference though.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Out of the 34 games in the Bundesliga he scored in 28 of them. He's also scored in all 7 CL games he's played in this year and 4/5 German Cup games he played in.

So that's 46 games and 39 games where he has scored so you'd bet that he could at least score a couple in those extra 4 games if he had it this season.

EDIT: Golden Boot was 36 goals this year and he finished on 34. I reckon he'd have got it with those extra 4 games.

Hansinity

Supports
Bayern Munich
People mentioning Aguero, Benzema and Suarez etc, it has to be pointed out that they are playing generally in better leagues than Lewa is, and for less dominant teams for the overall period of the past 5 or so years. It's not a factor to be dismissed, although Lewandowski is truly incredible as a forward.
It is a legit point . I agree the Spanish league is a bit stronger but that doesn't equate with it being more difficult to score goals in. I actually believe it is easier to score goals against the weaker teams in La Liga. Lewandowskis Champions League stats are actually not too bad too.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
It a gigantic difference when you look at the top 2 teams in 2. Bundesliga who would be making up the numbers if it was a 20 team league. Four games against cannon fodders.

Also there's no cut off for yellow card suspensions. Lewa got suspended for a 5th yellow in gameweek 31. In England you can't get suspended for 5 yellows after Christmas. You can't even get suspended for 10 YCs after gameweek 30-ish.

Bundesliga is a graveyard if you want to win golden boots. Not because of 'tougher defences' but because of fewer games and more regular suspensions.

Supports
England
Top goals per game averages in UEFA Champions League (all-time)
0.83: Harry Kane (Tottenham) – 20 goals in 24 games
0.81: Lionel Messi (Barcelona) – 114 goals in 141 games
0.77: Ruud van Nistelrooy (PSV Eindhoven, Manchester United, Real Madrid) – 56 goals in 73 games
0.76: Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United, Real Madrid) – 130 in 170 games
0.76: Robert Lewandowski (Dortmund, Bayern München) – 66 goals in 87 games
0.70: Roberto Soldado (Real Madrid, Valencia) – 16 goals in 23 games
0.62: Gabriel Jesus (Manchester City) – 13 goals in 21 games
0.61: Vincent Aboubakar (Porto, Beşiktaş) – 14 goals in 23 games
0.60: Neymar (Barcelona, Paris) – 35 goals in 58 games
0.59: Mario Gomez (Stuttgart, Bayern München) – 26 goals in 44 games

One plays in possibly the best team in Europe and the other plays in a fairly good PL side.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
2/24 of Kane goals are in the knockout stages.

23/66 of Lewandowski goals are in the knockout stages.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

Best player in the world.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Literally the best player in the world. He should have been allowed to win the Ballon D'or, as no-one else would have even been close winning it. He's been robbed.

Hulksmash

fifa as usual. We cancel it because Messi and Ronaldo don't win it

If there's 1 Justice , he should be rewarded

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
Even today, he made two awesome chances out of nothing. That ball on the post, and that header he did from behind his body. Best player in the world, and with winning the treble, it should seal all individual prizes.

France football are a bunch of clown tbh.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Works amazingly well for the team. Extremely clever with his decision making, can turn a wayward pass into a nicely cushioned pass for a teammate, with his chest, his head, outstretched foot in an awkward position. Can't believe I'm watching the same player who was with Poland two years ago.

Zen

Now the season is done, the hoopla can actually happen - he's the Ballon d'Or 2020 winner*.

thepolice123

Thought T.Silva and Kimpembe handled him quite well today.

Still deserves the Balon d'or imo.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Greatest striker of his generation, maybe greatest in the last 20 years (since Ronaldo) * Finally gets his UCL.

* Discounting Messi and Ronaldo as strikers ofcourse.

thepolice123

Greatest striker of his generation, maybe greatest in the last 20 years (since Ronaldo) * Finally gets his UCL.

* Discounting Messi and Ronaldo as strikers ofcourse.
I think its between him, Suarez and Henry. Take your pick.

MrEleson

I still think Suarez of 2013-16 edges him in terms of peak level but he definitely wins on sheer longevity as the best striker of his generation.

Paul_Scholes18

Best player in the world this year. Although not a great final for him, but still hit the post.