Robert Lewandowski

Status
Not open for further replies.

GazTheLegend

Bayern had to make this statement to get at least a reasonable transfer fee from Barcelona. Otherwise they would just low ball Bayern as they do now.

I rather see the fault with the Lewandowski side. They should have communicated with Bayern internally instead of going public. Most likely there could have come to an agreement once Bayern got a replacement or another world class player.

Now is looks like a power struggle between player and club and the whole world watches. Hard to see how all parties get out of this mess without losing face. It turns more and more into a lose-lose situation.
Agreed. But to be fair that's pretty much how Lewy got his move to you guys in the first place, players that do these sorts of things never really change. With what an incredible player he's been for Bayern though, you'd hope that everyone can come up with something that makes everyone happy.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Surprised he wants to go to Barcelona given their situation and his age.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Agreed. But to be fair that's pretty much how Lewy got his move to you guys in the first place, players that do these sorts of things never really change
Quite the opposite, isn't it? He tried to force his move in 2013 but Dortmund insisted he fulfills his contract even that meant he leaves for free a year later. He actually should have learnt his lesson here.

Me too. Especially because his dream move always has been Real Madrid.
Not sure how you guys feel about a player whose dream move has been Liverpool for years, now suddenly joining United.

He's been trying to move to Spain for years
Yes he always says he wants to play in Spain but at Madrid not Barcelona. They are in a mess and will challenge for the CL.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Lewandowski has always seemed to have a relationship with Bayern that was tethering on the edge of collapse. There were always voices from his camp saying he was disgruntled, even that one time he was supposedly mad at his teammates because he didn't get the highest goalscorer award one season, complaining they don't pass him the ball enough.

It was really only in the season under Flick that it seemed he finally started getting along with his teammates, and the was coincidentally the season he broke barriers at Bayern and became the best striker in the world.

Not surprised to see the relationship crash and burn now. It was never a great relationship to begin with.

GazTheLegend

Quite the opposite, isn't it? He tried to force his move in 2013 but Dortmund insisted he fulfills his contract even that meant he leaves for free a year later. He actually should have learnt his lesson here.
It's pretty far from the opposite because you guys could make him do EXACTLY the same thing, and say while he's still under contract he's still your player (same with Dortmund). It's exactly the same, and will probably end exactly the same way.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
It's pretty far from the opposite because you guys could make him do EXACTLY the same thing, and say while he's still under contract he's still your player (same with Dortmund). It's exactly the same, and will probably end exactly the same way.
Maybe I haven't been clear. You said in your first post that's exactly how Lewandowski for his move to Bayern 9 years ago.
However, he didn't get his move. Dortmund stood firm and he has to honor his contract.
Bayern isn't asking anything else from him.

In short Lewandowski never got his move by trying to put pressure on Dortmund.

crossy1686

career ending
What’s caused this weird breakdown? I know he was super upset that Bayern didn’t publicly back him a few seasons ago and he tried to push for a move to Madrid but they weren’t interested, now he’s kicking off again? What for?

SoCross

Lewa and Auba - wonder what Xavi’s line of thought here is.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Lewandowski has always seemed to have a relationship with Bayern that was tethering on the edge of collapse. There were always voices from his camp saying he was disgruntled, even that one time he was supposedly mad at his teammates because he didn't get the highest goalscorer award one season, complaining they don't pass him the ball enough.

It was really only in the season under Flick that it seemed he finally started getting along with his teammates, and the was coincidentally the season he broke barriers at Bayern and became the best striker in the world.

Not surprised to see the relationship crash and burn now. It was never a great relationship to begin with.
Absolutely, and it makes you wonder why Lewandowski, who is considered to be a smart bloke, reverts to his old self. After all also him profited from his attitude change. He broke almost all records, won the CL and became world player of the year twice.

Since he started this shit show about his contract extension (contradicting himself several times) his form sorry dropped significantly.
I'm convinced without that distraction he would have beaten his own Bundesliga record again and scored of few more goals in the CL.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not sure how you guys feel about a player whose dream move has been Liverpool for years, now suddenly joining United.
Doubt they care tbh. They've been in a precarious situation financially so getting a player like Lewandowski in the phase that they're in as a club is a pretty big deal I'd imagine.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
What’s caused this weird breakdown? I know he was super upset that Bayern didn’t publicly back him a few seasons ago and he tried to push for a move to Madrid but they weren’t interested, now he’s kicking off again? What for?
Nobody really knows, because he is contradicting himself several times.

First he is disappointed that Bayern didn't react on talks initiated by his agent Zahavi end of last year. However, now Zahavi and him saying he wanted to move to Barcelona anyway for a long time.
It's also reported Lewandowski was unhappy Bayern apparently was interested in Haaland. Calling it lack of respect. At the same time Zahavi completes a ready to be signed deal with Barcelona.
Hypocrisy and double standards at their best.

KeanoMagicHat

I don't really see what Lewandowski gains by sullying his Bayern legacy like this so late in his career.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
I don't really see what Lewandowski gains by sullying his Bayern legacy like this so late in his career.
The only thing naysayers say about Lewandowski these days is the Bundesliga thing. Even when you show them that he has the best CL ratio, they say "We want to see him in PL/LL".

If Lewandowski comes to LL and bangs them in, he will be one of the only strikers who have proven it comprehensively on every stage/kind of environment. That will automatically emhance his legacy further.

About his Bayern legacy, he's a forward who holds all time scoring records in the league and was amazing at the 2 biggest German clubs. Some fans moaning about him won't change his legacy which is set in stone now.

It'll all be cool after a few months.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The only thing naysayers say about Lewandowski these days is the Bundesliga thing. Even when you show them that he has the best CL ratio, they say "We want to see him in PL/LL".

If Lewandowski comes to LL and bangs them in, he will be one of the only strikers who have proven it comprehensively on every stage/kind of environment. That will automatically emhance his legacy further.

About his Bayern legacy, he's a forward who holds all time scoring records in the league and was amazing at the 2 biggest German clubs. Some fans moaning about him won't change his legacy which is set in stone now.

It'll all be cool after a few months.
Only striker? There are many strikers who have proven it at every level they played,

Suarez did it in Dutch league, PL, La Liga, CL, National team.
Benzema in French league, NT, CL, La Liga
RVN - Dutch league, PL, La Liga, CL, NT
Eto'o - La Liga, CL, Serie A, NT
Ronaldo - PL, Serie A, La Liga, CL, NT

There are many. I don't think Lewandowski even thinks about these silly things. Players want to experience different leagues, he thinks maybe this is the best time to do it.

Kaushal

Yes he always says he wants to play in Spain but at Madrid not Barcelona. They are in a mess and will challenge for the CL.
I never take this too seriously coming out of the players regarding Madrid and Barcelona. I always get this feeling they just want to play for either of them, doesn’t matter who. They like both clubs and would jump ship given the chance. Aubameyang always wanted to play for Madrid, his dream club bla bla.

Only a few of them have this set in stone like CR7, for him it was Madrid and Madrid only.

redshaw

I'd be surprised if he stayed, it's his last chance to play in another country for a big club and sample something different. He's given great service to Bayern and I feel they should let him go at his age

Oliver Kahn's remarks make it seem they just expect him to stay and enjoy it.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
If Mane plays as he has done for Liverpool but for Bayern, they’ll win the Bundesliga next season. And you can quote me on that.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Thats not gonna cut it, he wont score enough goals.
Others (Gnabry, Coman, Sané, Musiala, Müller, Mané(?)) will chip in more.
Bayern’s attack was very Lewandowski-centric (and rightfully so) but they do have other goal threads.

You obviously cannot expect a single player to reach his insane goal numbers.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
He's been trying to move to Spain for years
And still he extended his contract at Bayern.
Barca seems to offer him a 3 year deal and Bayern doesn’t. Only 2 years were reported. That alone is probably a €25m difference.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Allegedly only 1 year with an option for another year.
This makes sense at Neuer and Müller only got 1 year extensions.
One year extension apply for all players over the age of 30 years. If Bayern made an exception for Lewandowski, Neuer and Müller would have been rightfully upset.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Allegedly only 1 year with an option for another year.
This makes sense at Neuer and Müller only got 1 year extensions.
One year extension apply for all players over the age of 30 years. If Bayern made an exception for Lewandowski, Neuer and Müller would have been rightfully upset.
We used to do that under Fergie as well. Then Woodward came along and started throwing contracts around.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
We used to do that under Fergie as well. Then Woodward came along and started throwing contracts around.
I think Real doing this as well. It makes perfect sense for the clubs.
Handing out 3 year contracts for a 34 old player at 24 million Euro a year is just bad business. Not surprised it's Barcelona offering that kind of deal

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
I think Real doing this as well. It makes perfect sense for the clubs.
Handing out 3 year contracts for a 34 old player at 24 million Euro a year is just bad business. Not surprised it's Barcelona offering that kind of deal
Yup it’s definitely a fair policy to follow. Protects the club and as long as players continue to perform at a decent to good level (some regression is to be expected) then they will continue to be rewarded.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
One year extension apply for all players over the age of 30 years
That's a good policy, we used to same under SAF. One year rolling contract for 30+ year old players and they rarely wanted to leave as we used to win a lot.

KeanoMagicHat

Others (Gnabry, Coman, Sané, Musiala, Müller, Mané(?)) will chip in more.
Bayern’s attack was very Lewandowski-centric (and rightfully so) but they do have other goal threads.

You obviously cannot expect a single player to reach his insane goal numbers.
Yeah I think so, as good as Lewandowski is, I think Mané would be an excellent replacement in terms of giving you a fluid front 3 and then you wouldn't be surprised to see some of the wingers score 5-10 more goals.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Only striker? There are many strikers who have proven it at every level they played,

Suarez did it in Dutch league, PL, La Liga, CL, National team.
Benzema in French league, NT, CL, La Liga
RVN - Dutch league, PL, La Liga, CL, NT
Eto'o - La Liga, CL, Serie A, NT
Ronaldo - PL, Serie A, La Liga, CL, NT

There are many. I don't think Lewandowski even thinks about these silly things. Players want to experience different leagues, he thinks maybe this is the best time to do it.
Don't people bring up the poor record of Suarez in the CL often??

Ronaldo isn't really classed as a striker other than his last 2 years.

Benzema didn't play for the National Team for many years.

So yeah one of the only since that's not a lot of names from recent times.

Dan_F

Shouldn’t Barca be building for the future? Seems like a perfect opportunity for Bayern to let him go for a reasonable fee and move on, especially considering Dortmund should theoretically be weaker too next season.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Shouldn’t Barca be building for the future? Seems like a perfect opportunity for Bayern to let him go for a reasonable fee and move on, especially considering Dortmund should theoretically be weaker too next season.
Barcelona has quite a few young, very young players. Lewandowski is a great opportunity, he is in good physical condition and can give 2-3 good years.
In addition, the price, due to his age and last year of contract, is not high. For me it is a very easy decision to sign him.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I hope Bayern dig their heels in and demand a ridiculous fee.

He should show a bit more respect and either honour his contract or negotiate all of this away from the media.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
Supposedly he feels playing in Spain gives him a better shot at the Ballon d'Or. He saw a chance after 2020 but sees none with the current Bayern strategy, not willing to spend as much on top players and the uncertainty around Brazzo.
Think he is more pissed about that than a million or a year more or less under his next contract
If Madrid were calling he would go there, but they have Benzema so that ship has sailed. Also Barca still has a void in the "top dog" spot left by Messi.
Don't think he cares too much about team titles although winning the league in a different country would be nice as well.

He is a confident and ambitious guy for sure with a very clear career path and will probably be leading the polish football association in 5 years and head UEFA in 10 :)
He is highly respected for his performance by the fans, but not loved in the way Ribery or even Robben (who has a similar attitude) or Alaba was. He won't care.

Last edited:

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Supposedly he feels playing in Spain gives him a better shot at the Ballon d'Or. He saw a chance after 2020 but sees none with the current Bayern strategy, not willing to spend as much on top players and the uncertainty around Brazzo.
His chances to win a Balloon d'Or with the current Barcelona is certainly lower than with Bayern.

Status
Not open for further replies.