Roberto De Zerbi - Brighton manager

Tony Clifton

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
Would you have preferred the fa cup final or the recent set of results with possible European qualification (almost guaranteed)?
The cup final if I’m honest, which could’ve given us Europe. However, having failed at that I am proud at how well we bounced back from Monday’s debacle and the disappointment against you at Wembley.

Genuinely delighted because we do, without meaning to sound boastful, play some very beautiful football on our day.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
Great job, but spoils it by being ungracious and lacking humility. feck him and his “football gods.” See where they both are in three.
The “football gods” quote you reference absolutely wasn’t a slight against your team. It was a reference to the Tottenham fiasco, the Crystal Palace robbery, and a few other major decisions which have cost us points this season.

RDZ may not be everybody’s cup of tea - but in the example you mention it was frustration that we have been repeatedly wronged by huge decisions.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
The cup final if I’m honest, which could’ve given us Europe. However, having failed at that I am proud at how well we bounced back from Monday’s debacle and the disappointment against you at Wembley.

Genuinely delighted because we do, without meaning to sound boastful, play some very beautiful football on our day.
When it's not your day you lose to Forrest or get battered by Everton. Very chaotic of late.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
When it's not your day you lose to Forrest or get battered by Everton. Very chaotic of late.
Exactly. At Forest the team looked gassed after our defeat in the semi final, and RDZ got the team selection wrong (and said so afterwards). Everton was chaotic madness. Both games we were well and fairly beaten.

Today was the measured, calm side I’ve seen all season and it was like night and day.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Didn’t realise he’s only 43. Is he the youngest manager in the league?

PepG

Supports
Ajax
I would like to see De Zerbi as a head coach of some of the big clubs in Italy, lets say AC Milan..his explosive style mixed with some good old italian quality..

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
I would like to see De Zerbi as a head coach of some of the big clubs in Italy, lets say AC Milan..his explosive style mixed with some good old italian quality..
I wouldn’t. I’d like him to stay here and give us another competitive season, hopefully with Europe for the first time in our history.

Wayne's World

100% going to be the next Liverpool manager IMO. I think Klopp will stay only two more seasons max and he's the one they will go for straight away

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
100% going to be the next Liverpool manager IMO. I think Klopp will stay only two more seasons max and he's the one they will go for straight away
I know a few city fans that said they wouldn’t mind him taking over from pep. I said let’s not get carried away. A lot of people get carried away when he’s not even had a full season with Brighton yet.

Loon

:lol:
The “football gods” quote you reference absolutely wasn’t a slight against your team. It was a reference to the Tottenham fiasco, the Crystal Palace robbery, and a few other major decisions which have cost us points this season.

RDZ may not be everybody’s cup of tea - but in the example you mention it was frustration that we have been repeatedly wronged by huge decisions.
Yup, it pretty much was.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
Yup, it pretty much was.

I don’t hear any criticism of your team, just that he felt his team deserved to win. He might be wrong, but that’s football opinions - in this case clearly driven by a sense of injustice.

Loon

I don’t hear any criticism of your team, just that he felt his team deserved to win. He might be wrong, but that’s football opinions - in this case clearly driven by a sense of injustice.
Yes, and the football gods corrected it. In his ”humble” opinion.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
Yes, and the football gods corrected it. In his ”humble” opinion.
If that’s your interpretation, and it’s correct, then I disagree with him. I don’t believe in football gods, I believe in competency, cause and effect and fair competition. I don’t think however that the referee or his team gave decisions which in any way could be seen to be favouring Brighton.

Loon

If that’s your interpretation, and it’s correct, then I disagree with him. I don’t believe in football gods, I believe in competency, cause and effect and fair competition. I don’t think however that the referee or his team gave decisions which in any way could be seen to be favouring Brighton.
You‘re off on a tangent now. I’m talking about the man himself and how he conducts himself. Nothing to do with his fine team.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
You‘re off on a tangent now. I’m talking about the man himself and how he conducts himself. Nothing to do with his fine team.
I regret that you find his conduct offensive.

RyRy11

Really interested to see what he can do with Brighton going forward, especially if they're playing european football next season.

Ted Lasso

Interesting that clubs like Brighton are unearthing both players and manager talent levels above. Is it their dof? Who is it doing this research and making these decisions?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Interesting that clubs like Brighton are unearthing both players and manager talent levels above. Is it their dof? Who is it doing this research and making these decisions?
It could also be that the excellent way in which their club is run is elevating managers and players to levels they otherwise wouldn’t reach. Brighton weren’t this sort of force under Potter but their basics were very strong even then. People say things like get their scouting departments but it’s years of squad building / strong support from the structure, to get here.

Yakuza_devils

Who is in charge of football structure in Brighton? Their structure is better than those in Ajax and Dortmund.

No problem in replacing manager and player while selling players for big profits. It's unbelievable. The football they play is also very exciting. What magic is this?

The best football played in PL this year ranking as follows:

1) City
2) Arsenal
3) Brighton
4) Man Utd
5) Liverpool

Loon

I recall similar things being said about Southampton a few years ago. Hopefully Brighton can avoid their mistakes.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
It could also be that the excellent way in which their club is run is elevating managers and players to levels they otherwise wouldn’t reach. Brighton weren’t this sort of force under Potter but their basics were very strong even then. People say things like get their scouting departments but it’s years of squad building / strong support from the structure, to get here.
Exactly - it's a project of many years, not something that went right just this year, or the last two years.

Also, any club outside the rich top whatever (is it top 7 now?) will have to be clever and inventive with their resources to try and bridge some of the gap with the top. Not every club does that right (hi Everton!), but it makes sense that the best-organized/best-run club of the EPL would be a non-top club, since they have the most incentive to focus strongly on that aspect - because they can't compensate for mistakes with just another big player purchase.

Strootman's Finger

I recall similar things being said about Southampton a few years ago. Hopefully Brighton can avoid their mistakes.
It's not even just mistakes, Brighton haven't had to juggle the league and Europe before, and that will be a new challenge for them. I hope they do well, I like Brighton, but they have certainly benefitted from playing less.

FerociousCorgis

pretty much what i was thinking. Gotta be careful in the premier league assuming you can just keep that train going of finding gems, polishing them, selling for huge profit, then repeating that over and over. Dont think brighton will approach it like southampton though if i had to guess.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
So is this guy the real deal then? I was a huge fan of Potter at Brighton (still am to be fair - think he'll do very well at his next job) but it seems clear that De Zerbi has taken Brighton to another level this season. - when they're on it they're probably the 3rd best footballing side in the league (only behind City and this seasons Arsenal when they're on it).

Wonder where he'll be in a year or two.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
One of the major Italian clubs will probably approach him this time next year. He got Sassuolo into europa league I think and they played a nice brand of football so he's got plenty of experience now to go to a Juventus or Inter Milan in near future I reckon.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I've got it in for him. Want him to come crashing down and I think he will next year.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Do well next season and I can see him taking over City after Pep.

Nickelodeon

Given how Allegri has been over the last couple of years, I'd be surprised if Juve don't go for him this summer itself. Brighton though, being the shrewd operators they are, will surely put a big release clause on him for sure.

Behaviour wise, he's not great but nothing we haven't seen from any average manager in the PL. But tactically, he's been something else. There are many managers who come in and get a good bounce from their team such as Emery has done. However, the way Brighton play in addition to their results is simply spectacular. I don't think I've seen a mid or bottom half club suddenly transform themselves into playing with that kind of a swagger. Obviously, next season is going to be the bigger challenge when their opponents will set themselves up like Everton did and try and do them on counters.

abundance

Supports
Inter
Given how Allegri has been over the last couple of years, I'd be surprised if Juve don't go for him this summer itself. Brighton though, being the shrewd operators they are, will surely put a big release clause on him for sure.
Career wise, it'd be stupid for him to accept a job back in Italy right now.
Any coach in the continent would kill to have a chance to build a reputation in the Premier right now - he can get access to the best jobs and wages all across Europe if he succeed in doing so.