Robin van Persie | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm always right

Great header but there's no way that's what he was expecting to do with it
At first glance I thought it simply hit his head and went in...close up shows some intent but that was jammy as feck.
What are you lot on? Of course he meant it, I mean, what do you think he was trying to do with it?

It's quite clear he flicks it towards the far post.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Exactly, i mean he didnt think "im going to stick this right in the top corner with a slight reverse spin", but he clearly aimed for the top right corner as that was the open part of the goal.

Sure there is an element of luck with it, but a lot of shots are struck towards goal and end up in a different place than intented.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Flicking it towards the far post was the only way he could reduce the height of the ball's trajectory so that it goes in. Heading it towards the near post would have done feck all damage. He is a world-class players who does things like that every day.

Actually it's reminiscent of Park's goal against Arsenal back in 2010.

acnumber9

Very similar to the one he scored v Southampton. Just let the pace of the ball do the work.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
This was a lot lot harder though since the angle was against him and the ball came at him at a quicker pace since he was closer. He did brilliantly to adjust his body/head, which he has shown he is really good at.

LR7

Robin van Persie says he wants to finish his career at Manchester United

Robin van Persie was an instant success at Manchester United but then that was always likely to be the case given his proved prowess within the Premier League. The Dutchman had a great period with Arsenal and even though their supporters now look back on that through tainted memories, he doesn't. He thinks it all helped him to get to where he is now, which is where he wants to see out the rest of his career.

Speaking to this week's edition of Voetbal International, Van Persie said "The coming years it's Manchester United. And maybe longer. United would be my last club.

"You have a number of clubs in Europe where older players can find it good, where they are valued. You used to have that at Juventus and AC Milan, Manchester United today is a good example. So who knows how long I stay at the club."

Van Persie was speaking to the Dutch press this week about how he was finding it odd to now be considered part of the old guard with the national set-up, rather than one of the younger players. He's now 29 years old and his contract with Manchester United lasts until the summer of 2016 which takes him almost to the age of 33, the way he's talking he'd like to carry on beyond that and thinks Manchester Untied is the best place to do it.

Ryan Giggs turned 39 in November and Paul Scholes is 38, so the Dutchman has got a long time left if he follows their lead. However, he has suffered from injuries throughout his career and it's possible that could have some impact on when he'll have to call it a day.

Moving to the Old Trafford team has given Van Persie a lift and provided him with a new challenge, which has reignited his enthusiasm in the sport. The opportunity for success and to win the championship is something which he's grasping, but the change alone has done him good.

"I have every day at United a new challenge. My development is an ongoing process. That gets an extra boost when you are surrounded by new coaches and teammates, all with their own ideas, in a totally new environment."

Van Persie sound like he's not keen on going down the levels when his Manchester United days become numbered, moving to the MLS or Middle East doesn't really seem his style and his comments back that up. If Manchester United can make use out of him past his current contract then that will surely please him and make the initial cost of the deal look more reasonable.
http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/...s-he-wants-to-finish-his-career-at-manchester

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
At first glance I thought it simply hit his head and went in...close up shows some intent but that was jammy as feck.
Aye. I think that he was aiming for his mate in the crowd but he cocked it up and it went in the net.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The goal is brilliant in the way he reacted but there is a big element of luck in the sense that trying many more times would not result in goals IMHO.Very difficult header

Brightonian

It's an instinctive header but I think it's pretty obvious it does roughly what he means it to do. Anyone who plays/watches table tennis knows there's a big difference between intending to do something and having time to think 'ok, I'm going to lean back, flick my head, and hopefully let the momentum of the ball carry it over the keeper and into the top corner.'

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Just because he shows intent doesn't mean there isn't an element of luck in the sense that out of 50 attempts like that he might only score the one?

He could've died with the pace of that cross, not only was it jammy...he's lucky to be alive! But one can not speak in vein of Robin van Persie, he is the reflection of footballing perfection.

LR7

He really does say all the right things!
Another interview, you guys will enjoy this one (promise!):

Robin van Persie hopes Manchester United title will ease his pain

• Striker looking forward to his first league championship medal
• 'Not winning titles has given me pain and has made me greyer'

Robin van Persie believes he is poised to ease the "pain" that has gnawed at him throughout his career by becoming a league champion for the first time. The Manchester United striker says that nothing is settled yet and he is mindful of how the club squandered an eight-point advantage in the final six matches of last season to hand the title to Manchester City.

But with United 15 points clear with nine games to play, he is confident of a happier ending and the 29-year-old also hopes that any success, which may yet also include the FA Cup, will serve as the catalyst for a personal haul of honours.

Van Persie left Arsenal for United last summer in order to win trophies – he took the No20 shirt at Old Trafford as he said that he wanted to help win the club's 20th title – and he is close to seeing the decision vindicated. Previously, Van Persie helped win the 2002 Uefa Cup with Feyenoord and the 2005 FA Cup with Arsenal.

"That I'll probably win my first championship is very nice," Van Persie said. "I'm really thrilled about it. Not winning titles has given me quite some pain and it has made me greyer.

"It still has to happen. We have to go to Sunderland and West Ham, and we have to play Chelsea [in Monday's FA Cup quarter-final replay] and if we win, we play back-to-back against City in the league and the FA Cup semi-final. Then we have Stoke. These are not summer-night games. I watched United drop the lead last season but it's getting awfully close now, and I'm really happy with that."

Van Persie struggled to suppress his excitement as he spoke to reporters in his native Netherlands during the international break and said his emotions had been further fired by the stories he has heard from his United team-mates, including Rio Ferdinand, for whom he has served as a chauffeur to training. Ferdinand was given a six-month driving ban last September.

"In the last period, I have been the driver for Rio," Van Persie said. "He told me there was a time he thought he'd never become champion. He was becoming totally crazy because of it. But he told me, 'If you get the first one ... well man, that tastes so good and you only want more. That then becomes the standard, the only thing that counts. Anything less isn't good enough any more.' Rio had to wait a long time before he became champion and so have I."

Van Persie has scored 23 times for United, including vital goals in the away wins over Liverpool, Chelsea and City, and is a leading candidate to claim the two Player of the Year awards he won last season. He has endured something of a drought, with only one goal in his past 10 appearances for the club and none in seven, but he has seen his team-mates, most notably Wayne Rooney, pick up the slack. The burden on his shoulders looked more onerous at Arsenal last season.

"My team-mates all stood up," Van Persie said. "Shinji [Kagawa] scored a hat-trick [against Norwich City] and Wayne produced his usual goals. So that's nice, that it doesn't all go wrong [when he does not score.]"

Van Persie, however, was back on target for Holland with one goal in Friday's 3-0 World Cup qualifying win over Estonia and two in Tuesday's 4-0 victory against Romania. "I'm in a lesser period at my club right now and it's nice to score some goals for the national team to get through that," he said. "I don't put a good performance just down to producing a goal. I'm a striker that doesn't have to make 60 goals per season, I am a player that wants to play well for the team. But scoring is part of my job and when I don't score for seven games, it bothers me.

"The key is to keep working hard. I've also missed some luck. If you analyse my chances, my efforts went just over or on or next to the woodwork. You always have these kind of periods in a season and it's important to train hard, do a lot of finishing work and then, all of a sudden, it will get back and the goals will come. I have quality. I haven't lost that along the way."

Van Persie said he had "listened to the little boy inside me" when he opted to join United and there has since been an almost childlike enthusiasm about his body language. He loves playing with Rooney, and compares the relationship to the one he enjoys with Rafael van der Vaart at international level. He also suggested United could be his "last top club". He has, on occasion, said that he would like to retire at SBV Excelsior, the club in Rotterdam where he began his career as a youth player.

"I think my move to United came at exactly the right time," Van Persie said. "It shouldn't have been any earlier or any later. Arsenal was for eight years the place to be. But last summer was the perfect moment to sign for United.

"You have a couple of good clubs for older players, where they feel OK and are appreciated. In the past those were AC Milan and Juventus, and nowadays, United is a good example. So who knows how long I will stay at the club?"
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/mar/28/robin-van-persie-manchester-united-title

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
That's Faas Wilkes, a Dutch forward from the 40's. played for Inter and Valencia in the golden days. Born and raised in the same city as Robin van Persie.

He is the prototype to the Dutch model of a perfect forward. "Don't just focus on height, speed or power, but instead focus on developing players with a high football IQ and superior technical abilities."

The influence he had on dutch attackers can be seen even now in a player like van Persie. Look at his movement in box for the first goal, it's identical to the way van Persie moves in the box.

Players like Wilkes are exceptional. They are so ridiculously good that they make everyone around them play better football, the goals are just a by-product.

btw, there are alot of great dutch player before Cruijff who are unknown internationally, because The KNVB banned pro players (playing outside of Holland) from playing for the NT in Euros and WC until 1955, so they had limited exposure till the ban was lifted.
Funny that a player from over half a century ago playing in such different conditions can have such stylistic similarities.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Looks so much sharper today than the previous month.

Seems Fergie has reversed the trend where RVP actually becomes better after going away from Holland rather than become worse/injured.

Fergie is a genius.

Widnes

Thought that was going to be the end of his run without a goal at the end there, probably should have been as well. Played alright though.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Ah well. Suarez can win the golden boot. Bale can win player of the year. Hart can win the golden gloves. Swansea can win the best team. Laudrup can win best manager. We'll win another league title.

Coca Cola

One balled wonder
Can't believe he didn't score there at the end. Perfect chance to end his drought.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
Am I right in presuming that he may not start against us since he played a full 96 minutes today after already being knackered?

I am concerned about his drought ending against us, he should have ended it in the 97th minute there!

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Am I right in presuming that he may not start against us since he played a full 96 minutes today after already being knackered?

I am concerned about his drought ending against us, he should have ended it in the 97th minute there!
Don't worry, we'll play Hernandez instead. ;) I think van Persie will be rested against you, seeing that Rooney wasn't involved today at all either.

Edit:
Gemma Thompson @gem7thompson
RvP: "Everyone fought hard. It was a deserved win. Of course, the goal is mine, no question!"
True striker!

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Should've scored at the end. He's missed a few 'sitters' this season.

Every time it seems he's about to lose possession, he makes a wonderfully simple pass or does some skill or gets a free kick. Makes it all look so easy.

He will most likely not play but Hernandez will play and Hernandez will score.

TheReligion

Abusive

Yeah he will be on the bench I would imagine with Rooney, Hernandez and Welbeck up top

binary bot
Gill and Fergie need to give him that goal to thwart the media driven Suarez appreciation

wr8_utd

:'(
He's a great player and has had a wonderful season for us but his finishing can be really really poor. He's missed a very high number of sitters all season.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He's a great player and has had a wonderful season for us but his finishing can be really really poor. He's missed a very high number of sitters all season.
:wenger:

Your pro-Rooney/anti-van Persie agenda is so see-through and so bizarre. Young fecked that up with a crap ball. He could've either rolled it to him so van Persie could walk right onto it and pick his spot or he could've fizzed it in for the first time shot. He did neither and van Persie had to readjust his feet with a defender closing in on him (thanks to Young delaying the pass for so long) so he couldn't get a clean strike.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
I think both van Persie and Young fecked up on the last chance. Young delayed it for a bit too long and the pass wasn't really great for van Persie to kick right away. On the other hand, I don't understand why van Persie had to run along the offside line all the time. He could easily had stayed a few yards back so he had been able to run into the ball when it was played. As it were, the ball came almost slightly behind him and because of that it was a bit of an awkward shot with no real bite.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Your pro-Rooney/anti-van Persie agenda is so see-through and so bizarre. Young fecked that up with a crap ball. He could've either rolled it to him so van Persie could walk right onto it and pick his spot or he could've fizzed it in for the first time shot. He did neither and van Persie had to readjust his feet with a defender closing in on him (thanks to Young delaying the pass for so long) so he couldn't get a clean strike.
Forget about today's chance and I really agree with wr8_utd's assessment of RVP.He has missed a lot of easy chances this season.He could have been out of reach in the PL goalscorer charts and somewhere around 30-35 goals overall.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
His finishing is anything but poor.

Young didn't feck that up at all, it was RVP who fecked it up, both with his run and shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.