Robin van Persie | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minimalist

I don't think it's impossible to imagine the scenario with Van Persie really.

Van Persie begrudgingly leaves Arsenal and Wenger who did so much for his career to pursue the big trophies that alluded him before. Joins United for less money than City were offering due to Ferguson's influence. Has a great first season at United, winning the PFA player of the year again and scoring some memorable goals. Boom, Ferguson retires and in walks David 'The Winner' Moyes. The rest is history.

Some people can continue to turn a blind eye to those events if they wish and just blame Van Persie for not 'looking arsed' in the games he's played this season but I frankly think it's a bit ridiculous to view things so narrow mindedly. The entire team looked devoid of belief and ideas which nearly always stems from shit management. Van Persie is no different to any other player when it comes to the effect of bad management.

Besides too much is made of players 'trying hard' in matches. If it's required, great. If you're running around clueless and ill-disciplined like Rooney, you're not benefiting the team at all, you're harming it.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Yeah, it's mostly the Rooney fanbois who have digs at RvP :lol:

If anything Moyes should thank RvP who made it possible for Moyes to at least have a CL tie against Bayern and Guardiola on his CV.

Rossa

Aye, made his lack of effort under
the previous manager even more apparent.
True that. I wonder what went wrong between RVP and Moyes, but there has to be something there. Not only the way he played, but the way he celebrated was much more like last year. He looked genuinly happy yesterday, and that despite suffering an awful season with the team.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
You know whats great about Van Persie? His first instinct when he gets the ball is to go forward... and because his first touch is generally brilliant, it enables him to turn away from his marker that much eaiser, and suddenly we're on the front-foot. In a game where I got increasingly annoyed by how little some of our players wanted to go forward - and how we often looked to pass the ball straight backwards from where it came - it was refreshing having Van Persie on the pitch to try something different.

manusteve

If Van Gaal becomes manager, RVP will play the No 9 role, regardless of whether it's 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. Will be interesting how LVG fits in the other forward players.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The way he was carrying on after the game yesterday and with his post match comments, you could easily see him being our captain next year... and I would be all for it.

manusteve

I think it is obvious RVP was "sulking" with Moyes as manager, whether one tries to defend him or not!

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Nice to see him involved and netting a goal yesterday. He's been out for so long, I'd forgotten just how good his link up play is. There's not many players in the world with a better first touch, IMO. Still looked way off the boil due to being out for so long, but you can see him brimming with class still.

I hope he can stay fit next season, and I hope we can employ a system which is focused on him.

Kaos

I'd rather drop Rooney than him for plenty of reasons
This, a million times over.

RVP is the better striker, a nicer guy and a consistent big game player. Its a travesty we've given our sulking prince that £300k a week contract as well as the keys to Manchester for crying to his agent.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Can't agree with the full sentiment of that. Van Persie has hidden this season, Rooney hasn't.

FacerTheRed

I'd rather drop Rooney than him for plenty of reasons
hate to say it but it will probably come to that if LVG is officially the man for the job. RVP is clearly the better striker and he'll favor Mata just behind RVP, so Rooney's only option to get in the starting line up is convert to a midfielder. If he doesnt like that then he'll be gone unfortunately, i love Rooney but the club comes first.

Minimalist

Can't agree with the full sentiment of that. Van Persie has hidden this season, Rooney hasn't.
Well he was pretty much given a free role in every match to do what he liked. It's unlikely he would sulk about it.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Van Persie: We'll be back, trust me

Robin van Persie is still "gutted" about his injury-hit season, although the Dutchman insists he and United will be firing on all cylinders again next term.

The 30-year-old has missed large chunks of a disappointing campaign with a variety of knocks and only registered his 23rd appearance of 2013/14 during Tuesday's 3-1 win over Hull City, stepping off the bench to replace debutant James Wilson and score the game's final goal.

Now fully fit, van Persie is determined to help United bounce back, and speaking to MUTV after the final whistle he was confident about doing just that.

"It was important to end on a high," Robin explained. "Obviously we wanted to do a lot better during the campaign, but it wasn't meant to be. This was good though."

When pressed for an assessment of his own season, van Persie continued: "A bit up and down, I wasn't fully fit and that's where everything starts for me. You need to get a full season in. You can miss a couple of games but not as many as I missed."

"I think I missed half the season. I am gutted about that. For next year I just want to stay fit, do well and compete again. I'm sure we will compete again next year. We'll be back, trust me, we will be back. Trust me. Save this interview!"

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...ys-United-will-compete-again-next-season.aspx

Great interview here from Robin about this season. Whether he has hidden under Moyes or not, he seems to be hungry about next season, and he makes commitment to the team. Probably the first Van Gaal's effect, but having a top Van Persie next year will be decisive if we want to get our trophy back.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Not true at all. Rooney prefers to play up top and has only done so on a few occasions.

Maldini's Hair

Something about his confidence in that interview has all of a sudden filled me with confidence. When he's happy it seems he's quite infectious. In a good way of course.

LR7

I don't think it's impossible to imagine the scenario with Van Persie really.

Van Persie begrudgingly leaves Arsenal and Wenger who did so much for his career to pursue the big trophies that alluded him before. Joins United for less money than City were offering due to Ferguson's influence. Has a great first season at United, winning the PFA player of the year again and scoring some memorable goals. Boom, Ferguson retires and in walks David 'The Winner' Moyes. The rest is history.

Some people can continue to turn a blind eye to those events if they wish and just blame Van Persie for not 'looking arsed' in the games he's played this season but I frankly think it's a bit ridiculous to view things so narrow mindedly. The entire team looked devoid of belief and ideas which nearly always stems from shit management. Van Persie is no different to any other player when it comes to the effect of bad management.

Besides too much is made of players 'trying hard' in matches. If it's required, great. If you're running around clueless and ill-disciplined like Rooney, you're not benefiting the team at all, you're harming it.
Didn't Bale win it last season?

Agree with most of the other points you made in this post though.

acnumber9

True that. I wonder what went wrong between RVP and Moyes, but there has to be something there. Not only the way he played, but the way he celebrated was much more like last year. He looked genuinly happy yesterday, and that despite suffering an awful season with the team.
He looked happy enough when he put us through against Olympiakos.

ZDwyr

Looked good when he came on. Hungry and passionate too. I would start him ahead of Rooney any day of the week.

johnmufc

Really hate that this injury-prone, sulking mercenary is a United player. Despise that Ferguson went for short term glory by signing him, betraying possibility the exciting new signing of Kagawa linking up with Rooney, who had in the season previous scored 34 goals in a terrific partnership with the excellent homegrown talent of Welbeck. Destroyed the the progress of Welbeck, Kagawa, and Chicharito, and has been a sulking disgrace this season.

Disgusting, self-indulgent signing by Ferguson. Disrupted a wonderful fluent side in the precise manner signing Berbatov in 2008 did.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Really hate that this injury-prone, sulking mercenary is a United player. Despise that Ferguson went for short term glory by signing him, betraying possibility the exciting new signing of Kagawa linking up with Rooney, who had in the season previous scored 34 goals in a terrific partnership with the excellent homegrown talent of Welbeck. Destroyed the the progress of Welbeck, Kagawa, and Chicharito, and has been a sulking disgrace this season.

Disgusting, self-indulgent signing by Ferguson. Disrupted a wonderful fluent side in the precise manner signing Berbatov in 2008 did.
:lol: When I read that part I was conviced you were talking about Rooney!

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He looked happier yesterday and in that interview than he has all season. It's fair to say he's had a right sulk on for most of this campaign, but he's still our best player by a good distance. His goal to game ratio this season is excellent and I think he could fire us to success again under Van Gaal.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

:lol:

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum

I can see the angle you're coming from, but still.. a tad harsh and dramatic don't you think?
Those players still have had opportunities, especially this year with RvP missing for a great deal, it's their responsibility to grab the chances afforded and impress, like Januzaj has done in his time to date.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Good thing that van Persie even when hiding is more effective than Rooney.
Except he hasn't.

How many assists this season? How many of his goals came from the penalty spot?

That's not even getting into all the other stuff you would expect from a striker that is 100% commited to the cause. The stuff that has been notable by it's absence this season. Until yesterday, anyway.

Kostur

海尔的老板

Please refrain from posting rants about Rooney in RVP thread.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!

Very very dramatic.

Fergie you absolute goon, what were you thinking signing the best player in the league? Shinji has suffered all because of you and your self-indulgence.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Very very dramatic.

Fergie you absolute goon, what were you thinking signing the best player in the league? Shinji has suffered all because of you and your self-indulgence.
The post seems very tongue in cheek so I doubt he's being serious...

United22

WUM or not because I can't tell?

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca

:lol: :wenger:

Love that interview. All things considered he looked sharp last night. Blokes a class act and like others here I'd have him, injuries included, over Rooney all day.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
The post seems very tongue in cheek so I doubt he's being serious...
It's not John's first time...

Quick look at his posting history and found this in the van Gaal thread regarding the possibility of RVP being handed the armband:

This would be sickening Dutch favouritism. People complain about Moyes' treatment of Rooney, but he's been a key figure for the club for 10 years and displays leadership qualities on the pitch.

van Persie has only been at the club 2 seasons and was a poor leader at Arsenal and has had a negative, sulking attitude on the pitch this season, reminiscent of Berbatov.

Status
Not open for further replies.