Robin van Persie | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
His free kicks really aren't all that great. He just rams it hard into the wall or stands quite often. Or atleast that's what happens most times I see him take a free kick in a dangerous area.
I agree to an extent, I've said before he's infuriatingly inconsistent but you could say the same about Ronaldo in his time with us. Still the best since Becks. Hopefully Van Persie will be the best since Ronaldo. There's very few great free kick takers about at the moment, in the league and overall. It's good to have one of the better ones in the league, one capable of the spectacular.

Probably tries too much with his free-kicks... Like you said though, he's hit and miss. But I'd still say he is up with the best of them in the league.
He takes a good corner though.

What about penalties though? Van Persie or Rooney?
Right enough actually, Van Persie's really clinical from the spot isn't he? It'll have to be Rooney for the time being, if he goes on another bad run it'll leave it open for Van Persie to take over but Rooney's been slotting them away very well for a while now. Ignoring a couple of blips he's been really clinical from the spot ever since Ronaldo left.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
That makes it worse not better - we supported him through his injuries then he fecks off. You offered him the £220K max.
Or, he stayed with you as long as he felt he could, before seeing Cesc and Nasi leave and finally realising he was the only one who had.

I'd rather someone who gives us 7 years of loyal service, and then goes when he feels he has to, with his career end in sight, than someone who gets his break with us, and then fecks us off the second someone offers him more, whilst still young enough to have made a difference. If Ronaldo had left after 2 and a half seasons, we'd have hated him. As it is, we still love him by and large, despite leaving us far younger than RVP.

But you know, I'm weird like that. You and Piers Morgan probably have it right.

'What first attracted you to the millionaire Paul...'
The magic.

towcester_red

'What first attracted you to the millionaire Paul...'
So he stays through 6 trophyless seasons, then when a club comes in that competes for major honours and offers him more money, you think he should stay?

Maybe he isnt a mercenary, maybe he actually has more ambition than finishing 4th every year!

I get why they are bitter but this makes the transfer even funnier!

RVP has gone from Europes finest to Europes worst in about 5 hours!

MUFCgal

I don't think Nasri was a mercenary either. A major part of his move was to win trophies. And he did. Same applies to RVP, but it's obvious - denial is the first stage of depression - that fans will claim the contrary.
I think in some way Nasri was a mercenary. It was reported that he all but agreed to join us. City came in with more money (also something to do with the agent, possibly fees?) and before you know it, he was signing on the dotted line for City.

Erentz

Knows everything! 5 years later.
He could have been an Arsenal legend like Bergkamp, now he'll just be a cnut like Stapleton, who fecked off to Man Utd for the £££ and won feck all.
United was Stapleton's boyhood club wasn't it?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I don't think Nasri was a mercenary either. A major part of his move was to win trophies. And he did. Same applies to RVP, but it's obvious - denial is the first stage of depression - that fans will claim the contrary.
Nasri was more of an awful hypocrite in the sense that he said only people who wanted more money, or something along those lines, went to City, before he then did the exact same as the former Arsenal players he criticised.

I didn't like the way RVP bullshitted at first by saying the club wasn't moving in the right direction, but in all fairness if it was just about money he'd have gone to Man City. I can fully understand the bitterness of the Arsenal fans though. We would be exactly the same with Rooney.

mightberight

I think in some way Nasri was a mercenary. It was reported that he all but agreed to join us. City came in with more money (also something to do with the agent, possibly fees?) and before you know it, he was signing on the dotted line for City.
Well you need to approach it from a different angle imo. You're a player in a foreign country. You're at a good club, but that club isn't winning trophies. You've got an offer from two Manchester clubs who both have excellent chances of winning trophies. One offers you more money. Where would you go to?

twitter thread suggester
Pete, what did you expect him to do? Should he just stay at Arsenal the rest of his career, never again winning anything on club level?

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
He could have been an Arsenal legend like Bergkamp, now he'll just be a cnut like Stapleton, who fecked off to Man Utd for the £££ and won feck all.
feck all being two FA cups while Arsenal won only a league cup during his time at United.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
This deal is good for all parties concerned.

United will get a world-class striker in his prime years who will slot straight in.

Van Persie gets the chance to play in a young, ambitious team and seriously compete for the trophies he is desperate to win.

Arsenal get a terrific fee for a 29 year old in the last year of his contract.

The fact is Arsenal deserve to get this fee. Wenger helped enormously to make him the player he is and I think it is right to acknowledge this.

Ferguson loves his strikers!
Agreed

Nogbadthebad

Surely, regardless of the 'mercenaries' , the 'boyhood dreams' or whatever, after a few years in a row of losing your best players, supporters have to start questioning the club instead of vilifying an endless list of players.

Somethings wrong at Arsenal.

Nanderson

I ♥ Neymar
Brilliant signing. World class player. If we can find a way to fit in our best attacking players without compromising defensive solidity, we can be a scary team.

mightberight

I didn't like the way RVP bullshitted at first by saying the club wasn't moving in the right direction, but in all fairness if it was just about money he'd have gone to Man City. I can fully understand the bitterness of the Arsenal fans though. We would be exactly the same with Rooney.
Oh I agree with that, you'd obviously be feeling bitterness because we all like to think that the players we support our die hards like the rest of us. But put into his shoes as a player with 5 years left in his dream career without any trophies on the horizon, and not the massive affinity to the club as you would have as a supporter (we all idolise the club outside looking in, the day-to-day rigmarole would probably be much different from a player who is a 'fan' or not), then it all makes sense.

Devilton

Can't blame him for leaving Arsenal...the club and it's supports are a shambles. RVP knows he's only got a few great years in him and if he's going to win it's got to be with a team that knows how to do it. All Arsenal know is how to bottle it after Christmas.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
People might have a bit more sympathy if the two most prolific arse posters here werent such obvious wums for years. As ye reap etc.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Well you need to approach it from a different angle imo. You're a player in a foreign country. You're at a good club, but that club isn't winning trophies. You've got an offer from two Manchester clubs who both have excellent chances of winning trophies. One offers you more money. Where would you go to?
The bigger club....

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Always thought the Nasri hate from gooners was a little OTT. But with regards RVP, after he pulled a Rooney with the statement and tried to play the fans, I think their disgust is more understandable. If Rooney had been sold after his statement about the club, he'd never have been forgiven either.

In other news RVP has failed a medical after carrying his...well you know the rest.

twitter thread suggester
What exactly is the arrow pointing at in the RvP picture?

MUFCgal

You speak like he'd be getting peanuts with us. Of course he'd get more money with City, but he still would have been on a damn good wage with us.

Minkaro

Whilst the Arsenal fans' dismay is amusing, I have to wonder where he's going to play. Obviously at Old Trafford, before any of you try that trick, but in terms of position. We're absolutely spoilt for choice in terms of the AMC/ST roles, and indeed the wings. We've got Valencia, Nani, Young, Welbeck, Kagawa, Bebe (<_<) and Rooney that could potentially play on the wings, Van Persie as well perhaps.

Then in terms of striker or AMC, there's Rooney, Hernandez, Welbeck, Van Persie, Kagawa, Berbatov, Young and Cleverley. It's packed in those positions. The number of different combinations is staggering.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Whilst the Arsenal fans' dismay is amusing, I have to wonder where he's going to play. Obviously at Old Trafford, before any of you try that trick, but in terms of position. We're absolutely spoilt for choice in terms of the AMC/ST roles, and indeed the wings. We've got Valencia, Nani, Young, Welbeck, Kagawa, Bebe (<_<) and Rooney that could potentially play on the wings, Van Persie as well perhaps.

Then in terms of striker or AMC, there's Rooney, Hernandez, Welbeck, Van Persie, Kagawa, Berbatov, Young and Cleverley. It's packed in those positions. The number of different combinations is staggering.
Better to be looking at them than wanting them.

Woodzy

Bebe won't play, maybe not even be here. Berbatov is as good as gone.

We are still stacked though, it's great.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
'Van Persie has scored 48 Premier League goals in 55 games since 1 January 2011. Only Rooney (37) has scored more than half as many in that time.'

I'm going to poo myself several times on Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.