Robin Van Persie - Retiring

Brophs

The One and Only
Lukaku could get better and might probably be held at a higher regard than RVP at the end of his career. RVP at 25 had nothing relevant over the 25 year old Lukaku.
Apart from a first touch?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
how was he underrated? He's widely regarded as one of the best strikers of his generation and one of the best strikers in the world at his peak.
He isn’t.

He rarely comes up in any conversation regarding the best PL strikers, let alone beyond that. I understand why, a lot of his story was unwritten due to injury, and the modern football fan algorithm of linking league titles and such to a player’s greatness, which has led to a lot of people thinking he only did it for one season.

I’m talking about the player he was even before his last season at Arsenal. He was already the best in the league at that point in my opinion, just not always fit. When he was, he was the best, for about 4 years in total in my personal view.

Mcking

Van Persie spent the first half of his career either on the wing or in a supporting striker role.
Fair. But that is no reason why Lukaku should be belittled. He is playing for a United side at it's lowest ebb.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Lukaku could get better and might probably be held at a higher regard than RVP at the end of his career. RVP at 25 had nothing relevant over the 25 year old Lukaku.
You really don't need statistics to see RVP was on a different level than Romcan hope to achieve. No shamr in that, but don't be silly mate.

Van Persie also played on the wingand in midfield for a lot of his career. Lukaku is a fine goalscorer, but Robin is so much more.

mufcneville

One of those special players..
Was happy when he came to MUFC but couldn't believe he'd have the impact he had. Incredible striker - made it look very easy too.

Remember being in Manc around christmas that season, hearing his name all around town and even in the night clubs. Fantastic memories.

Reactions: SteveJ

Matt007a

That one season with SAF was as good as any striker has ever had for us. Not only the quality and volume of his goals, but the importance of so many. He scored big goals in big moments all season.

We should never have won the league that season when you look at the squad man for man. It was his largely performances that covered that up.

AndyJ1985

He was Ferguson's master plan for winning the league one last time and going out on a high. Ultimately it just papered over the massive cracks, but you can't fault the man for it. RVP was a superb signing, one of the very best and most impactful in our history.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I was really excited when We had Rooney, Van Persie and Falcao. Shame They didn't work out. If only We had RvP and Falcao earlier....

I really enjoyed watching RvP during his time here, top striker. The season where We won the 20th title with him as the number 20 will never be forgotten. Magical.

Remember when RVP was getting giddy over LVG arrival only to find himself benched in the second half of the campaign and then sold in the following summer.Lols.

Last edited:

Needham

In today's game we wouldn't have got him. In an era of petro billionaire owners there's no way a player of his level is allowed to drift at an Arsenal for years.

GuyfromAustria

The first time I ever visited Old Trafford he scored a hattrick, including the goal of the year, and won us the league.
I kinda like the guy. ;)

Mcking

You really don't need statistics to see RVP was on a different level than Romcan hope to achieve. No shamr in that, but don't be silly mate.

Van Persie also played on the wingand in midfield for a lot of his career. Lukaku is a fine goalscorer, but Robin is so much more.
I am not talking about technique, talent or whatever. van Persie at 25 could only have dreamed of being where Lukaku is right now. RVP is not mainly remembered for his talent, rather for his role in our title winning triumph - something he only achieved three months before his 30th birthday. Without that season, he has little business being rated at the top top, going by how Lukaku is rated. I'm not trying to downplay what van Persie did for us, but just trying to point out why Lukaku does not deserve to be belittled. Lukaku have done enough to be proud of his own career whilst not having an iota of envy towards van Persie's career and he still have many years ahead.

RedDevil@84

If we had peak Van Persie last season, City wouldn't have own the league so comfortably.

SER19

Was the best striker in the world at a point. Him at his peak would instantly improve every team in football today. And would have had another title had he and fergie been together longer.

IAmAWinner

That pass and goal against West Ham in the FA cup. World class all around. RVP made it seem so easy. What a player he was. Probably the last signing you can say was 100% a success.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Lukaku will always pale in comparison to RVP. The only thing the latter lacked was luck with fitness/injuries. He always was on a different stratosphere to basic footballers like Lukaku.

Magnificent footballer. His one season was top class. The drop in standard from him to Lukaku is absolutely huge.

amolbhatia50k

I am not talking about technique, talent or whatever. van Persie at 25 could only have dreamed of being where Lukaku is right now. RVP is not mainly remembered for his talent, rather for his role in our title winning triumph - something he only achieved three months before his 30th birthday. Without that season, he has little business being rated at the top top, going by how Lukaku is rated. I'm not trying to downplay what van Persie did for us, but just trying to point out why Lukaku does not deserve to be belittled. Lukaku have done enough to be proud of his own career whilst not having an iota of envy towards van Persie's career and he still have many years ahead.
Lukaku's career is fine but it only seems to be belittled because he's being compared to vastly superior footballers. RVP was probably the best if not one of the best players in the PL for a few years (1.5 with Arsenal and 1 with us maybe?). Lukaku is never going to be that. Everyone knows this. He just doesn't have the ability.

:lol: Not an iota of envy. I'd envy those much better than me. The only thing he has over RVP is fitness. Hurray.

Mcking

Lukaku's career is fine but it only seems to be belittled because he's being compared to vastly superior footballers. RVP was probably the best if not one of the best players in the PL for a few years (1.5 with Arsenal and 1 with us maybe?). Lukaku is never going to be that. Everyone knows this. He just doesn't have the ability.

:lol: Not an iota of envy. I'd envy those much better than me. The only thing he has over RVP is fitness. Hurray.
At 25? Definitely not so.
Anyway, you are saying RVP was one the best players in the league for 2.5 years? Magnificent indeed. Well, Lukaku was one of the best players in the league less than two years ago. That's magnificent too. Lukaku is being belittled not because of any comparison, but because of the occasional poor touch and the fact he is playing for a very poor Man Utd team. I only envy those that achieve far more than me too.

amolbhatia50k

At 25? Definitely not so.
Anyway, you are saying RVP was one the best players in the league for 2.5 years? Magnificent indeed. Well, Lukaku was one of the best players in the league less than two years ago. That's magnificent too. Lukaku is being belittled not because of any comparison, but because of the occasional poor touch and the fact he is playing for a very poor Man Utd team. I only envy those that achieve far more than me too.
No chance. Lukaku has never been among the league's elite.

Mcking

True enough, not sure if there is anyone around who comes close.

Is there any striker in the PL that comes close to RVP's ability?
His technique is one of the best I have ever seen. The way he strikes the ball off both feet is just pure class.

izec

Lukaku one of the best players in the league :lol: He was never at one point, and never will be.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
How much would a prime Van Persie cost these days? And which current striker has the same level of technique and flair?