Robin van Persie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
They really did, now it's easy to assume the standard in football overall has declined, or something - we're just so used to them being ridiculously good.
The 50s had Puskas and Di Stefano, the 60s had Pele, Best and Eusebio, Garrincha, the 70s had Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Muller and co., the 80s had Maradona, Platini and Zico., the 90s had Zidane, Ronaldo, Rivaldo and co...what they're doing now is what's been done for decades so the standards they're 'setting' now have been there for ages. Not relevant to the thread but worth pointing out.

Ash_G

I hope we're trying to get rvp to come over in the summer, he'd be a great fit, especially on a free. If he does leave Arsenal I expect him to go abroad but you never know.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
The 50s had Puskas and Di Stefano, the 60s had Pele, Best and Eusebio, Garrincha, the 70s had Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Muller and co., the 80s had Maradona, Platini and Zico., the 90s had Zidane, Ronaldo, Rivaldo and co...what they're doing now is what's been done for decades so the standards they're 'setting' now have been there for ages. Not relevant to the thread but worth pointing out.
In terms of sheer numbers, the last player to do it was Fat Ron. Zidane even though a better big game player than Ronaldo and even Messi (IMO), was never as consistent as both of them. Especially at Madrid, he took it easy against some of the lesser sides. Others like Ronaldinhio, Henry, Rivaldo, Figo had at maximum two super seasons and did not just score goal after goal like these two. Can not comment how it was like before Fat Ron.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
You are correct, but I am only 21 and haven't lived (as a mature football fan) through those in their peak so for me it is like a phenomenon as I've never seen anything like them before.

Perhaps I should have included that in my post to illustrate my perspective.

RyanGoggs

Insists on dating women in public places - for the
They really did, now it's easy to assume the standard in football overall has declined, or something - we're just so used to them being ridiculously good.

I personally think that RVP will stay at Arsenal unless Chelsea offer big bucks.
I could easily see him leave. At the moment he is pretty much carrying arsenal and they haven't really strengthend their team since the loss of Nasri and Fabregas. He is really at the stage of his career now where he needs to win things pretty soon and that doesn't look the case at arsenal.

He is such a good player that I could easily see him moving to any big club he wants. Maybe Barca depending on how Villa recovers from his injury.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
He is such a good player that I could easily see him moving to any big club he wants. Maybe Barca depending on how Villa recovers from his injury.
He wouldn't be a replacement for Villa though, Villa plays wide left for Barca with Messi central, so not sure where RVP would fit in for them. Zlatans been pretty clear in interviews that Messi will always play in the striker role, so he isnt going to get shifted wide left to accomodate anyone, even RVP.

RyanGoggs

He wouldn't be a replacement for Villa though, Villa plays wide left for Barca with Messi central, so not sure where RVP would fit in for them. Zlatans been pretty clear in interviews that Messi will always play in the striker role, so he isnt going to get shifted wide left to accomodate anyone, even RVP.
Messi hardly plays the centre forward role though, he is basically a free role. I'm sure they could switch things around to accomodate both. I meant it more as a way of saying RVP is good enough for any team really.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Messi hardly plays the centre forward role though, he is basically a free role. I'm sure they could switch things around to accomodate both. I meant it more as a way of saying RVP is good enough for any team really.
He does play the centre forward role, that's precisely what he does. He has license to drift over the pitch but that's still the role he plays, Rooney drifts over the pitch, doesn't change his position does it?

As for accomodating both, how would that work? Accomodating Ibrahimovic into the team didn't work, accomodating Villa didn't work, so how's Van Persie going to be any different. There's no way they will move Messi out wide, it's completely absurd given how well he plays in the role.

They're looking for a left winger, not a striker, it's a position that doesn't need to be filled considering they play Messi there, but also have Villa and Sanchez in reserve who can both play as a striker. That's why they're being linked with Neymar and Hazard, they're looking for someone to play wide left. Villa seems to be being dropped, he already has for a few games this year.

Ash_G

Rvp would be a great replacement for villa at barca. He's suited to cutting in from wide. Villa typically plays on the left but I see no reason why rvp couldn't come in and swap between left and right with whoever the other wide forward is. He can play anywhere across that front 3. However as they already have attackers in abundance I dunno of they'd want him. By the time they'd be looking to move fabregas inside to replace xavi he'd be coming out of his peak anyway.

Brwned

In terms of sheer numbers, the last player to do it was Fat Ron. Zidane even though a better big game player than Ronaldo and even Messi (IMO), was never as consistent as both of them. Especially at Madrid, he took it easy against some of the lesser sides. Others like Ronaldinhio, Henry, Rivaldo, Figo had at maximum two super seasons and did not just score goal after goal like these two. Can not comment how it was like before Fat Ron.
The game's not about numbers though. Ronaldo's scored one less goal in his 2 and a half seasons at Madrid than Zidane scored in his entire club career. Ronaldo's likely to score 3 times the amount that Zidane did in his career but would you be surprised if people still rate Zidane ahead of him? Not sure I would.

There's no denying that they're scoring at a level that's simply not been seen in the modern game (since Pele's time I'd be surprised if any top level footballer had such a record in top leagues) but there are qualifying factors. Hugo Sanchez has a record of 164 in 207 for Madrid, so at first glance it's easy to say Ronaldo's scoring is on another level. However, in Sanchez's first season at Madrid (85/86), the goals per game average for the league was 1.3 - the highest gpg average of any La Liga season Hugo Sanchez played for Madrid in. The goals per game average in Ronaldo's first season was 2.7, which it's been in every season he's played for Madrid.

And that's a big reason why they're not judged by their goal records but the whole package.

And let's be fair to Henry, he did score goal after goal - 30+ for 5 seasons in a row.

RyanGoggs

He does play the centre forward role, that's precisely what he does. He has license to drift over the pitch but that's still the role he plays, Rooney drifts over the pitch, doesn't change his position does it?

As for accomodating both, how would that work? Accomodating Ibrahimovic into the team didn't work, accomodating Villa didn't work, so how's Van Persie going to be any different. There's no way they will move Messi out wide, it's completely absurd given how well he plays in the role.

They're looking for a left winger, not a striker, it's a position that doesn't need to be filled considering they play Messi there, but also have Villa and Sanchez in reserve who can both play as a striker. That's why they're being linked with Neymar and Hazard, they're looking for someone to play wide left. Villa seems to be being dropped, he already has for a few games this year.
Messi was lethal on the right cutting in. I disagree that they couldn't accomodate him, that is like suggesting that Messi can't play more than one role. Like you said he foams like Rooney, and we don't really play Rooney as a lead the line striker anymore,
.RVP could play that.

Anyway my main point was that RVP would improve any team in the world so I'm sure he will be in great demand in the summer.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Messi was lethal on the right cutting in. I disagree that they couldn't accomodate him, that is like suggesting that Messi can't play more than one role. Like you said he foams like Rooney, and we don't really play Rooney as a lead the line striker anymore,
.RVP could play that.

Anyway my main point was that RVP would improve any team in the world so I'm sure he will be in great demand in the summer.
I never suggested Messi couldn't play more than one role, where did I say that? I said that his best position is centre forward, where everythings goes through him. Why would you move a player who's won the Ballon d'Or three times in a row to a less suited position where he wont get the ball as much? It's a stupid thing to do, it would be like us moving Rooney permanently wide left, it wont get the best out of him.

More importantly, thats where he insists on playing. Villa and Ibrahimovic have had to accept that fact, as would RVP, hence they wont sign him and dont need him. They need a left winger and a centre back if anything.

Baxter

Barca won't get him. They don't need him and with their debt the won't sign anyone they don't need. They had a budget last year, and with selling players like Bojan, Jeffren and Ibrahimovic. With Puyol now aging I am pretty sure they will go for a defender ahead of a striker and I reckon Thiago Silva will end up there. RVP, if leaving, is much more likely to end up a City or Madrid.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Barca won't get him. They don't need him and with their debt the won't sign anyone they don't need. They had a budget last year, and with selling players like Bojan, Jeffren and Ibrahimovic. With Puyol now aging I am pretty sure they will go for a defender ahead of a striker and I reckon Thiago Silva will end up there. RVP, if leaving, is much more likely to end up a City or Madrid.
AC Milan or Bayern even

Ash_G

I'm sort of hoping that with Tevez back nasri will get pushed out of the team more and more and maybe RVP won't be so inclined to go there. If he didn't mind staying in England then I hope we can get him and I think we'd have a good shot.

John_Jensen

I never suggested Messi couldn't play more than one role, where did I say that? I said that his best position is centre forward, where everythings goes through him. Why would you move a player who's won the Ballon d'Or three times in a row to a less suited position where he wont get the ball as much? It's a stupid thing to do, it would be like us moving Rooney permanently wide left, it wont get the best out of him.

More importantly, thats where he insists on playing. Villa and Ibrahimovic have had to accept that fact, as would RVP, hence they wont sign him and dont need him. They need a left winger and a centre back if anything.
You do realise RVP played a large portion of his early career on the left?

He might leave imo, depending on how we finish the season and what our plans for the summer are. But if he does it will be to Spain

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
You do realise RVP played a large portion of his early career on the left?

He might leave imo, depending on how we finish the season and what our plans for the summer are. But if he does it will be to Spain
Modric has spent large periods of his career on the left, as did Henry. Doesn't change the fact ones a central midfielder, ones a forward and niether are left wingers. So I'm not getting your point? Or are you just being pedantic?

On the off chance you actually believe he'd be as good a left winger, I doubt he'd be anywhere near as effective, seeing as his best football arguably comes when he plays with his back to goal and recieves the ball into his feet. He's quite clearly most effective in and around the box where his first touch and finishing are best deployed, resulting in him scoring nearly a goal a game this season. His best attributes aren't as effective out wide, and in addition other elements of his game might be lacking in that position, he's not slow, but he's not rapid either which would limit his effectiveness on the wing.

John_Jensen

Modric has spent large periods of his career on the left, as did Henry. Doesn't change the fact ones a central midfielder, ones a forward and niether are left wingers. So I'm not getting your point? Or are you just being pedantic?

On the off chance you actually believe he'd be as good a left winger, I doubt he'd be anywhere near as effective, seeing as his best football arguably comes when he plays with his back to goal and recieves the ball into his feet. He's quite clearly most effective in and around the box where his first touch and finishing are best deployed, resulting in him scoring nearly a goal a game this season. His best attributes aren't as effective out wide, and in addition other elements of his game might be lacking in that position, he's not slow, but he's not rapid either which would limit his effectiveness on the wing.
Pedantic for pointing out that a player has spent a large amount of his career playing, and playing well, in a position you claim he wouldn't be effective in? Have a word with yourself mate.

It was only 18 months ago that a large amount of people were questioning if he was up to playing as a number 9, and although he's since proven he's more than up to the task it's not the only position that he'd excell in.

Berkamp said just a few weeks ago:
“To be honest, I would still prefer to see Robin play a bit deeper behind the main striker so that he could pick his moments the way I used to.

"I think he could be even better in that role, but the way he’s playing now you can hardly blame the coach for putting him there.”

Klopp described his effectiveness:
“But Robin van Persie, wow, what a performance, what a player. He’s certainly one of the best in Europe”.

I’ve hardly ever seen a player who plays so deep in midfield and then is such a danger in the box.”

The point being that RVP is not just an outstanding centre forward, he's an outstanding footballer and is more that capable of excelling for Barca on the left if only they had the cash to buy him.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Barca play with a false nine and two wing forwards, essentially. RvP could quite comfortably occupy one of the WF roles with Villa on the other side, and Messi in the withdrawn central role. Would be a crazy front three but doesn't seem a very wise investment given the quality they already have there.

Brwned

Pedantic for pointing out that a player has spent a large amount of his career playing, and playing well, in a position you claim he wouldn't be effective in? Have a word with yourself mate.

It was only 18 months ago that a large amount of people were questioning if he was up to playing as a number 9, and although he's since proven he's more than up to the task it's not the only position that he'd excell in.

Berkamp said just a few weeks ago:
“To be honest, I would still prefer to see Robin play a bit deeper behind the main striker so that he could pick his moments the way I used to.

"I think he could be even better in that role, but the way he’s playing now you can hardly blame the coach for putting him there.”

Klopp described his effectiveness:
“But Robin van Persie, wow, what a performance, what a player. He’s certainly one of the best in Europe”.

I’ve hardly ever seen a player who plays so deep in midfield and then is such a danger in the box.”

The point being that RVP is not just an outstanding centre forward, he's an outstanding footballer and is more that capable of excelling for Barca on the left if only they had the cash to buy him.
I agree he could play very well as a wide forward but Barca won't buy him because he doesn't fit the system. Anyone who plays in that wide role works very hard which is something that Van Persie doesn't do particularly well and even if he could adapt to such a role, a) it'd be a waste and b) you'd worry if it would aggravate his injury-proneness. The reason they went for someone like Sanchez rather than someone like Hazard is for that very reason, if they don't fit in with the pressing game it'll cause problems in this system. They've already got Messi doing very little defensively, having another player up top who does the same will make their high line that much more exposed.

AKDevil

Can't see anyway he will stay.
Got one last move,in the form of his life,why waste peak years at Arsenal who aren't prepared to buy players to support him?
For a big club, they are the last I'd tip to win anything at the start of the season.
Just can't see him staying there.
Must say though, I'm always suspicious of players who conveniently find form/fitness when contract renewal time is approaching...

TheBest

SPNTBP
fecking sure we do if it was RVP.

Berbatov and Owen are on the way and RVP is miles ahead of hernandez and welbeck.

Id take him in a heartbeat.
He is already 28, and will be 29 by the start of next season.He will cost some decent money as well.I am sure, there's no chance of us signing him.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
He is already 28, and will be 29 by the start of next season.He will cost some decent money as well.I am sure, there's no chance of us signing him.
probably wouldnt sign for United anyway. But still he is a class act and there would be 3 good years in him.

Worth a few million.

MacMUFC

He is a class player.But we don't need any striker.
You do when its van Persie. Never mind Hernandez and Welbeck, a fit van Persie is comfortably ahead of Rooney. The problem is trying to keep him fit which has happened this season.

TheBest

SPNTBP
You do when its van Persie. Never mind Hernandez and Welbeck, a fit van Persie is comfortably ahead of Rooney. The problem is trying to keep him fit which has happened this season.
Like I explained earlier he will be 29 this august.You seriously don't expect SAF to sign a 29 year old player from Arsenal(as class as he is)? He won't be cheap either plus arsenal will be reluctant to sell one their player to a rival without charging them over the top money.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I disagree, I think Van Persie is the better player and better striker. His problem was always fitness.
Well, I've seen Villa play with 4 different teams. All of different quality. Scored goals with every one of them. Then internationally he's done great. Record breaker for Spain.
Persie has about 3 good seasons in his 11 season career. Nothing special playing for Holland. Villa has never had a poor season. This season will be his first season not scoring 20 goals and that's because he broke his tibia.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Both Klaas and RVP has been in stunning form this season for their respective clubs. I think Klass has 33 in 35 for Schalke and RVP around 28 goals.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
He would be £250k pw you would think. Same as Rooney and rightly so. He is unreal. Best player in the league IMO.

We surely would try, he's a Fergie style wet dream, but I doubt we will cough up the required amounts. And I think he will go to Madrid or pos City.

Status
Not open for further replies.