Robinho

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
What's happened to him?

Moved to Madrid when he was 21, showed his obvious talent in his debut looking threatening and inventive, and was a regular starter for the team with 38 starts. He was still too young to have established himself in the Brazil team, but he started all of their Confederation Cup games that season alongside Adriano(iirc). He was far from a prolific scorer, with only 9 goals in 51 appearances that season.

His next season was relatively poor, with him scoring less goals and eventually dropping to more of a bench player as Capello obviously felt he was too much of a defensive liability for his rigid formation. He did however start to establish himself as a starter in the Brazil team through being the top scorer in the Copa America as well as winning player of the tournament.

Schuster then came in the following season and he produced his most productive season yet - 19 goals and 12 assists in 32 club starts, undeniably impressive. But even then, there was still something missing. The reason he only made 32 club starts was partly down to injuries, but mainly down to his inconsistent form in the earlier and latter stages of the season. Higuaín eventually pushed himself ahead in the pecking order in the latter stages, and Robinho didn't score or assist once in his first 8 games. By this time he was a starter for Brazil, but still not an important one.

He made a move to City the following season, and although it obviously wasn't his first choice I thought he'd thrive from having the whole team based around him, and having very few defensive responsibilities, which was guaranteed to happen with Hughes needing to keep his star signing happy. He did start off well, scoring goals against Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal in the first half of the season and scoring 12 times and assisting four times before January. However after this he only managed to score three times, going 16 games without a goal.

There's been ongoing problems behind the scenes at each of the three clubs he's been at, and if City continue to float closer to midtable than the top four I can't see Robinho staying for much longer.

Such a waste of talent. Last year we had people calling him world class, and many others wanting us to sign him. Now with many people mentioning a lack of spark going forward, is there people who'd want us to sign him at the end of the season if he became available?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Robinho is a good player but he's in the wrong club.He convinced himself that City could achieve things in the PL in his first season and that confidence resulted in him having good spells and performances but once he saw the truth that City was a shit club he doesn't bother anymore

Brwned

14 goals(and 9 assists) in 44 appearances for Robinho, not bad but not what you'd expect from the best player in the team.

Comparatively Berbatov has 18 goals(and 11 assists) in 57 games, pretty similar records for the same price.

Who's been more of a success, on the field?

AttackingFlair

What's happened to him?

Moved to Madrid when he was 21, showed his obvious talent in his debut looking threatening and inventive, and was a regular starter for the team with 38 starts. He was still too young to have established himself in the Brazil team, but he started all of their Confederation Cup games that season alongside Adriano(iirc). He was far from a prolific scorer, with only 9 goals in 51 appearances that season.

His next season was relatively poor, with him scoring less goals and eventually dropping to more of a bench player as Capello obviously felt he was too much of a defensive liability for his rigid formation. He did however start to establish himself as a starter in the Brazil team through being the top scorer in the Copa America as well as winning player of the tournament.

Schuster then came in the following season and he produced his most productive season yet - 19 goals and 12 assists in 32 club starts, undeniably impressive. But even then, there was still something missing. The reason he only made 32 club starts was partly down to injuries, but mainly down to his inconsistent form in the earlier and latter stages of the season. Higuaín eventually pushed himself ahead in the pecking order in the latter stages, and Robinho didn't score or assist once in his first 8 games. By this time he was a starter for Brazil, but still not an important one.

He made a move to City the following season, and although it obviously wasn't his first choice I thought he'd thrive from having the whole team based around him, and having very few defensive responsibilities, which was guaranteed to happen with Hughes needing to keep his star signing happy. He did start off well, scoring goals against Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal in the first half of the season and scoring 12 times and assisting four times before January. However after this he only managed to score three times, going 16 games without a goal.

There's been ongoing problems behind the scenes at each of the three clubs he's been at, and if City continue to float closer to midtable than the top four I can't see Robinho staying for much longer.

Such a waste of talent. Last year we had people calling him world class, and many others wanting us to sign him. Now with many people mentioning a lack of spark going forward, is there people who'd want us to sign him at the end of the season if he became available?
Actually he stopped playing for a while under Capello but then he "sorted him out" in his own opinion and started playing Robinho more and he started to score and was productive for the team but less flair and risks...

And I thought he lost his place to Robben rather than Higuain under Schuster? Real were pretty much cnuts with him though, offering him as part exchange for Ronaldo.

He's one of the most talented wingers in the world, I'd take him at United but can't see it happening.

I wouldn't really compare his goal scoring with strikers though. He's mainly a winger (or that's his best position) for me anyway.

Brwned

That's another problem, I'm not really sure anyone knows his best position.

At the beginning of 07', for a couple of months, Robinho was the best player in the team with all their best creative work going through him. This was with him playing on either wing, scoring some memorable and important goals in the process.

But when he won the Copa America player of the tournament he was playing up front as the main striker in the Brazil team.

He's shown flashes in both positions but he's not done enough consistently in either.

johnmufc

He has a bad attitude and is not suited to English football.
It also doesn't help that Hughes is a poor manager.

Craig Bellamy and Martin Petrov are better left wing options for City despite Robinho being a better player than either of them.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
He was overrated just like most players in la liga.
Why don't you just stay away from the football forum? All you ever do is complain about "the La Liga wankfest" yet if anything this forum in general is biased against continental teams and players. I have yet to come across any player outside the Premier League who is in general overrated on the caf. You talk like La Liga is some sort of Spanish equivalent of the Sunday league.

You're a clueless idiot and we'd all be better off if you'd just shut the feck up talking about things you don't know anything about. You'll probably now brand me as a 'fanboy' or an equally moronic term of your choice but rest assured I'm not. I do, contrary to you, actually watch football outside of the Premier League and I can assure you that there are plenty of players all around Europe who'd be a massive success in the Premier League, including defenders which you seem to particularly up in arms about with your endless "Spanish defending :lol:" posts. It's not funny, it's not clever. You're a fecking pain in the ass. Stick to preaching your quasi-religious drivel.

Re Robinho; I think he's a good player but he needs the right management, I dare say if we'd signed him when he went to city he'd have flourished.

SecondFig

Technically brilliant, mentally terrible.

He has the ability, but he seems very fragile mentally and I honestly think any manager who has Robinho will have to spend a great deal of time keeping Robinho in the right mental state to perform. I don't think he'll ever find that in the EPL, personally I think he'll be best at a slightly smaller club in Spain, somewhere he can be the big star, the main man etc.

Great Hat

Robinho's had great spells in his career, though he's not been consistent enough to be considered 'world class', and he hasn't really had that spark so far this season at City; even though he's playing alongside a more productive and skillful midfield unit than he was last season, imo. Perhaps his style isn't suited to the way they play; although that's just an idea, and I'm not informed enough to be sure of that.

I can't think the chopping and changing of strikers at City can be much fun for him, either. He's got a lovely touch and finish, and his pace is obviously an asset, but he seems to have faded out of quite a few games this season, and not provided that bit of magic he did (especially in home games) at quite a few points last season.

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
What's happened to him?

I'd say these two things are what happened to him. Madrid is a place for the finished article and I think that will be proven by watching Benzema.

The City move was just because he was done with Real and wanted out and anywhere would do. Out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Ace

The move to city is one that has me scratching my head. I'm sure money was the number one motivator, but surely he could have struck a deal with another Champions League team.

He's a very talented player who has not benefited from a few poor decisions in his career.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Talent wise I'd take him in an instant, questions now though need to be made regarding his attitude & temperament not sure if even SAF could sort him out now

Spammy

Being watched; will learn to post in the correct f
Gloves are worn for traction primarily. Someone li
He's just a traditional Brazilian attacker, all about the ball skills with limited athletic ability.

He was lightweight in Spain and they wanted him to put a few kilos of muscle then. He's not doing too badly considering he's playing in a team where him best mate was sold (Elano) and the only player clever and creative enough to have struck up an understanding with him has been dropped deeper into midfield this season.

MehdiMahdavikia

His best run of form was from around Christmas 06 under Capello to aropund that time under Schuster, I know the OP says he didn't start well under Schuster but i'm sure he played some of his best football in matches when Madrid thrashed Villareal and Valencia around then. He also played a part in madrid's run of form under capello that saw them leapfrog Barca to the title. So he played a big part in them winning two league titles. He dropped out of the side though towards the end of that season (I think he did get injured) and then there was the swap deal Ronaldo thing in the summer which forced him out. I remember him being linked with AC milan over a summer as well, might of been after his first season at Madrid. I'm guessing he wasn't happy there for whatever reason.

I think he's shown his best form since moving to City, sadly for them alot of it's been for Brazil. It doesn't like he's still a big part of Mark Hughes team atm, even though he's injured they'vev changed the system and I'm not sure where he'd fit in. I could definately see him moving in the winter transfer window like it's been talked about in the papers, Barcelona have said their interested according to Goal.com, it'd be a good career move for him if City are willing to sell.

Sojiro

Formerly MST3K
"Sometimes you're not sure about a player,&qu
He's just a traditional Brazilian attacker, all about the ball skills with limited athletic ability.

He was lightweight in Spain and they wanted him to put a few kilos of muscle then. He's not doing too badly considering he's playing in a team where him best mate was sold (Elano) and the only player clever and creative enough to have struck up an understanding with him has been dropped deeper into midfield this season.
Maybe our definitions of athletic ability is different but I consider him very athletic, a good leap, great balance and agility , very pacey and good stamina. seems faily athletic to me.

I'd say his problem is a mental one. he seems to have a large ego and that could go with the kilos of muscle(in that he felt he didnt need to). He seems to have all the tools just not the mental ability/will to play within a team and blend with them. Perhaps that what you meant though.

F-Red

The lad just has no motivation, as many have pointed out its his attitude which will be his downfall.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Is he another young Anelka too full of himself and with bad people around him telling him he's worth this amount, should be played this way, etc.?

Or maybe he's just overrated and has already peaked?

vijay

Im rude and disprespectful to the ladies of the fo
He's overrated, had he been really good he would've stayed at Real or moved to another big European club rather than shitty. Both Capello and Schuster felt he was not good enough to lead the attack even when they ran out of options...

Dont think we should sign Real Madrid rejects...

His form at Shitty when he started over there wasn't really surprising, a reject from Real Madrid or any other big club shining for a midtable premier league club. Its not the first time to happen, and being a Brazilian shouldnt mean he should be special..

Alex

If he came to United he would be world class within a season, loads of talent and actually decent application, but a lack of direction, and no guidance from coaches has slowed his career by some degree.

Salvation

Damnation
Ireland?

I think he's a very good player who would walk into the 3 of the PL's big 4. City look much more confident going forward with Robinho on the left than Petrov.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
14 goals(and 9 assists) in 44 appearances for Robinho, not bad but not what you'd expect from the best player in the team.

Comparatively Berbatov has 18 goals(and 11 assists) in 57 games, pretty similar records for the same price.

Who's been more of a success, on the field?
neither ;)

yeah Berbs looks better and has more impact on the team (whether it's a good thing is another case). but imo- you're comapring oranges against apples. Robinho is more a wideman, whereas Dimi is deep-sitting striker. you would expect a wideman to get less goals and assists from a striker.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
What's happened to him?

I would without a second thought. I though he did well for City last year, for a new comer.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Is he another young Anelka too full of himself and with bad people around him telling him he's worth this amount, should be played this way, etc.?

Or maybe he's just overrated and has already peaked?
Like a modern-day Denilson?

FranklyVulgar

I've got a pretty little mouth underneath all the
He strikes me as a player with all the ability but coupled with a real lack of desire. To be the best you have to work hard and that's something i doubt Robinho has ever bothered doing. For a little period with City he looked the real deal and maybe in the right environment and club he could be one of the best but until he gets his attitude right and consistency then he'll never fulfil his potential, which is a shame because he has so much ability.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
He's good an ego and a stupid mind to boost. He's like Ibrahimovic but lacking the brain. Mouths off when he's not supposed too, joins City of all places, probably because of the money. He where he his because that is the fortune he made for himself.

Spammy

Being watched; will learn to post in the correct f
Gloves are worn for traction primarily. Someone li
Maybe our definitions of athletic ability is different but I consider him very athletic, a good leap, great balance and agility , very pacey and good stamina. seems faily athletic to me.

I'd say his problem is a mental one. he seems to have a large ego and that could go with the kilos of muscle(in that he felt he didnt need to). He seems to have all the tools just not the mental ability/will to play within a team and blend with them. Perhaps that what you meant though.

He's very agile and quick over 20 yards but that's about it.

Yes.