Gaming Rocket League

Heffo

The tournament last night was great craic and it had me thinking straight away after about doing another one.

I think @mazhar13 has the quick, one night "Royal Rumble" down to a tee. Would people be interested in a longer tournament?

Format wise, I don't think it's a great idea to pick teams (random or user selected) from the off and stick with those throughout, because we could end up with weaker teams that lose interest in constantly getting hammered. So here's what I'm thinking:

Round 1

The first round is a series of 4 or 5 man groups, with the game mode in the first round being doubles. Each player would match with every other player in that group to play every other possible combination of teams. So a 5 man group would see each player in (as long as my math isn't completely off here....) 12 games, 3 games with each partner.

If that's too ambitious, 4 man groups would only have 3 unique match-ups. In this scenario, each match-up could be a best of 3/5 series.

Round 2

The format of this round would depend on the amount of interested people. I was thinking 6 people progress from the previous round and go into a round robin style group, with the game mode for this round being 3s. There are 10 possible match-up combinations here (I think...) with each player being involved in every match-up.

Round 3

The final round would be another round robin with the top 3 players from round 2. Three best of 3 duel match-ups with whoever is top of the table at the end being crowned the overall winner.

And that's it. The logistics could be a bit of an issue, but I think it might be worth a go. Open to suggestions if people have any other interesting ideas for rounds or ways to improve. Let me know if you'd be interested and if we get enough interest I'll set up a tournament thread.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
@Heffo

We actually did have tournaments similar to what you just suggested. This one-night elimination format was something new that we tried out to see how well it would work. I will post the links to the previous tournaments later.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
The tournament last night was great craic and it had me thinking straight away after about doing another one.

I think @mazhar13 has the quick, one night "Royal Rumble" down to a tee. Would people be interested in a longer tournament?

Format wise, I don't think it's a great idea to pick teams (random or user selected) from the off and stick with those throughout, because we could end up with weaker teams that lose interest in constantly getting hammered. So here's what I'm thinking:

Round 1

The first round is a series of 4 or 5 man groups, with the game mode in the first round being doubles. Each player would match with every other player in that group to play every other possible combination of teams. So a 5 man group would see each player in (as long as my math isn't completely off here....) 12 games, 3 games with each partner.

If that's too ambitious, 4 man groups would only have 3 unique match-ups. In this scenario, each match-up could be a best of 3/5 series.

Round 2

The format of this round would depend on the amount of interested people. I was thinking 6 people progress from the previous round and go into a round robin style group, with the game mode for this round being 3s. There are 10 possible match-up combinations here (I think...) with each player being involved in every match-up.

Round 3

The final round would be another round robin with the top 3 players from round 2. Three best of 3 duel match-ups with whoever is top of the table at the end being crowned the overall winner.

And that's it. The logistics could be a bit of an issue, but I think it might be worth a go. Open to suggestions if people have any other interesting ideas for rounds or ways to improve. Let me know if you'd be interested and if we get enough interest I'll set up a tournament thread.
I swear you played in one of my tournaments!??

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/redcafe-rocket-league-gold-cup-pc-ps4-players-sign-up-now.416806/

4 Team group is 3 matches.. and worked really well.

5 or 6 team group would be 10 games assuming 2v3 or 3v3. If you want 2v2, that's more complicated, not sure if feasible.

6 team groups would be really great I think... but probably two hours of game play.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Today, I'll be making a private lobby in Rocket League where, if you guys feel interested, you can drop in and play private matches together with me and some others. I'll set up a room in 25-30 minutes, but do let me know if you guys will be around so that I don't waste my time waiting around.

hobbers

I'd like a tourney spread over maybe a week or two with some 3v3 matches.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I'd like a tourney spread over maybe a week or two with some 3v3 matches.
Ah, so an old-school tournament? Yeah, I can arrange that up in a couple of weeks. Are you interested in just having some fun, though? If we don't get enough in a private lobby, we can always do 3's.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I'm going to be getting on Rocket League soon. Is anyone else interested in joining me for some games? If we get more than 4 players, we can set up a private lobby and have some games there.

If we are to go with a private lobby, I was thinking about trying out some different games that we can make up to make things interesting, such as ping pong (can only hit the ball from your own half except if you are in the air).

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
In celebration of Rocket League's 2nd anniversary (and because it was long overdue), I will be holding another Rocket League tournament. This one, however, won't be a one-nighter like the last two. Rather, it will be more like the professional tournaments (double-elimination knockout). More details will arrive in the tournament thread.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Oh man, I just played last night when the Anniversary update was released. I wouldn't think that they could improve the game any more, but Psyonix always steps it up a notch!

In this update, we can now change our preset cars in between games without having to leave the post-game menu. On top of that, we can immediately enter training mode straight from the post-game menu. It was quite annoying to continuously go to the main menu before navigating to the appropriate locations, but now it's much better.

On top of that, the Champions Field is an interested standard map. It doesn't feel as large as the other maps, and the map appears to be more square-ish in shape than other maps. Other than that, though, I like the fact that it feels a little smaller (though that may be a placebo effect).

Finally, the general UI changes feel pretty good. I like how we don't have to deal with a side menu anymore and mistakenly pressing X to cancel a game search. I haven't played Ranked as of yet, but I look forward to seeing what their other rank progression feature is like. Basically, they have added another rank where you are not penalised if you lose. If you win matches, you will progress higher and higher up that rank. The ranks are similar to the traditional ranks (Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Diamond, Grand Champion). To progress, you need to get a certain number of wins in your current rank. To test this, I played a ranked Solo Duel. My opponent forfeited after 10 seconds, and I expected to see some progress, but apparently, you don't get awarded a win if you forfeit. I will need to play some more ranked matches and see if that is indeed the case.

In general, I'm quite happy with the update. The fact that I can customise the engine noises, wheel trails, and goal explosions are nice touches. It's still disappointing that we have to buy crates in order to stand a chance at getting new cars, but that's the only blot on Psyonix at the moment.

Anyone notice the addition of the 'Dodge Deadzone' setting to help reduce the chance of accidental backflips/barrel rolls when doing double-jump aerials. Gem of a feature!

Great update all round. I was a bit disappointed they kept the ranks from last season though, quite liked the chaotic spell of completely unbalanced placement games that used to happen.

GazTheLegend

Big update tonight.

• Bye-bye non standard maps.
  • Hello player banners.
  • Hello "farm theme"
  • Hello soft reset and rank grind
  • Hello custom tournaments
  • Bye-bye smurfs - improved smurf detection AI
Looking forward to the player tournaments in particular

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Okay, it's been a long time since I held a tournament, but I think it's a good time to hold one. If you're interested, let me know, and I'll start up another thread for a tournament.

Heffo

I'd be interested in a tournament.

The tournament update also just hit. So if people are interested we could try putting some redcafe teams together to go into tournaments as well.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Ahh damnit, I was 59 & about to get Legend, now I need 80!

I guess that's what I get for only playing a few games in the last few months.

dove

Expected much more from the progression update. Especially disappointed with this part "XP is now primarily based on Match Length, not your score". Basically it doesn't matter how shite you play, you will get the same amount of XP as everyone else. Also hoped they would add some unlockable items based on level because it really sucks having a level 105 but not being rewared at all.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Ahh damnit, I was 59 & about to get Legend, now I need 80!

I guess that's what I get for only playing a few games in the last few months.
No fecking way! Same for me! I didn’t play it for 2 months but got back into it recently :(

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Anyone on at the moment on PS4? Got some beers and some big beat music in earphones.

Sweet Square

Rocket League looks fun, but at the same time I'm not sure how I'd like it. I should probably try it some time.
It's one of those games where the better you get at it the more fun it is. So prepare to put some good long hours in if you want to enjoy it.

I'd love a full fledged rocket league game like this
The rumble mode has a mario kart-ish power ups so I could see it working.