Romeo Lavia | Chelsea bound?

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
would he come to city with rodri at the peak of his powers? not sure abt citys plans but heard gundogan may be leaving...so maybe someone else comes in for gundogan
As best I know Gundogan is most likely of the current MF to leave, Bernardo Silva has been angling to go for a couple of years and Phillips has not impressed so far so there are very likely to be changes.
Bellingham coming in is very possible, we may find room for McAtee as he's shone for Sheff U and Lavia is still highly regarded.
If we had the buyback this summer then I think we would activate it but as it doesn't kick in till next summer we would have to pay full market price for him and as he's unlikely to want to move on and not do a year in the Championship (assuming Saints drop down) I think we'll lose him.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
It's easy to forget Lavia's still a teenager. Playing and looking as comfortable as he does in the middle of the park at his age is very impressive. I'd take him, but we still need to sign another midfielder to go with him.
Agreed, he plays way beyond his age. Certainly do, but I think we will be losing a lot of midfielders.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

It has nothing to do with the owners investing or not investing. United have invested and developed youth players and continue to do so. If Lavia is this good, why didn't he stay at City for another year instead of buying Kalvin Phillips?
Probably because Phillips was more of a sure bet with PL experience and Lavia had a well priced buyback clause inserted into his contract.

Angel Gomes playing well in France, Andreas Pereria playing well for Fulham. Even Welbeck is still hanging around in England with Brighton. Ollie Norwood at Sheffield United.
My point wasn't that City have a better academy than ours. At least we actually give our academy lads gametime whereas all they've got to show for it is Foden. I was making a broader point about how they spend money on the academy and invest in facilities whereas our youngsters have to play at leigh sports village because our owners are so stingy.

edcunited1878

Probably because Phillips was more of a sure bet with PL experience and Lavia had a well priced buyback clause inserted into his contract.

My point wasn't that City have a better academy than ours. At least we actually give our academy lads gametime whereas all they've got to show for it is Foden. I was making a broader point about how they spend money on the academy and invest in facilities whereas our youngsters have to play at leigh sports village because our owners are so stingy.
You do know the academy trains at Carrington and play matches there depending on age level....some play matches at Leigh, but not all of the youth teams.

Also, City don't even own their stadium...it is leased from the City. They got a fantastic deal due to the Commonwealth Games which their current owners didn't have any say, since it was long before.

And there's not many city councils who will happily give up the land they own and allow a ownership and developer to do what they want. Land is scarce, but not quite like in East Manchester near Stockport...

Glazers are tight with money, sure, but they aren't as bad as everyone keeps saying. Comparing any ownership group against CFG, which is backed by an entire gulf state is remarkablely wrong.

Abraxas

He does look really promising. Absolutely ideal age and profile to learn from one of the best in the business in Casemiro.

It wouldn't solve all of our midfield issues though. Probably only the potential for Casemiro to be overburdened one.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Glazers are tight with money, sure, but they aren't as bad as everyone keeps saying. Comparing any ownership group against CFG, which is backed by an entire gulf state is remarkablely wrong.
I still don't think it's right that any of our youth teams play at leigh sports village. Even if we aren't backed by a gulf state, it shouldn't be much to ask for United to have their own academy ground.

edcunited1878

I still don't think it's right that any of our youth teams play at leigh sports village. Even if we aren't backed by a gulf state, it shouldn't be much to ask for United to have their own academy ground.
But that's part of the academy setup...they training in the same building and complex in Carrington as the senior side.

You can't be something if you don't see it and live around it most days. Carrington isn't some shithole dumpster fire.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I'd rather we sign five CMs and have an issue with players annoyed they're not getting minutes rather than players getting minutes who absolutely sucks.

Zed is not dead

There’s something about him that makes me think he’d be a better fit for us than Caicedo (not saying he’s a better player, but that he’d suit us more)

AttackAttackAttack

He would be a great signing for us. The kid has a spark and we need to be all over this type of signing. He can start along side casemiro in big games where need to be tighter in defense. The rest of the time he can be a sub or fill in when required.

Bondi77

Reading some of the media reports on him and the comments range from;
We are leading the race with Chelsea for his signature
We have directly spoken with his Father regarding him coming to the club.

Probably a load of old shite I know but if Southampton do get relegated then surely he must be attainable at a decent price if he wants to come to us.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Ticks all of the boxes for me. There's no doubt playing under or alongside Casemiro for a few years would elevate his game further.

mav_9me

Hard to see us get 2 CMs but I'd love for us to get him and a controlling CM. Maybe if we got someone like Kovacic as the controller for cheap

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He plays as DM but I believe he can be CM with his dribbling ability. He has talent to be DM and CM. He has similarity with Camavinga.

ROFLUTION

Defensive mid seems such a waste to invest 30-50m on when Casemiro will always be first choice. You just halt a young player’s development - I dont buy the understudy of casemiro thing. It wont matter if you dont play and practice.

its different with other positions - for wings, backs, central defence, or the Bruno/Eriksen positions you compete with at least 2 other guys and it’s way easier to be given chances there because there’s more chance of rotation.

justsomebloke

Good prospect.....so is Mainoo and Hannibal.

Our three most pressing needs for me are a striker and a partner for Casemeiro. I think a young centre back also comes above signing a back up for Casemeiro.

I dont see £40/50m on Latvia as a viable proposition with our needs and the likely costs for some of our supposed top targets
How do you figure that? When Casemiro can't play, we have nothing in that position that doesn't have a big negative impact on the whole team's performance. That is not the case at #8, and it is not the case at CB. So how on earth is that a lower priority? In my view, it's right up there with striker as something we have to address.

Ideally we address it by getting a midfielder who are a better #8 than Eriksen, and who also are an able fill-in at #6.

flappyjay

If Southampton get relegated and he sold for a discount why not, if we can cover other places.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Ticks all of the boxes for me. There's no doubt playing under or alongside Casemiro for a few years would elevate his game further.
Yup. He looks like he’s got a great skill set that suits us. Would be gutted if we lose out as we have a chance here to add a good midfielder who is already doing well in the PL for a decent fee.

jesperjaap

How do you figure that? When Casemiro can't play, we have nothing in that position that doesn't have a big negative impact on the whole team's performance. That is not the case at #8, and it is not the case at CB. So how on earth is that a lower priority? In my view, it's right up there with striker as something we have to address.

Ideally we address it by getting a midfielder who are a better #8 than Eriksen, and who also are an able fill-in at #6.
I figure that as improving our first eleven is a priority over improving a back up maybe?

justsomebloke

I figure that as improving our first eleven is a priority over improving a back up maybe?
As long as we actually have decent backup at all, yeah. Which we do, for every other position. But for Casemiro's position, we have nothing adequate at all. And at least one of the other positions you wanted to prioritise (CB) was also a backup - and one where we already have at least two (Shaw and Lindelof).

captaincantona

Defensive mid seems such a waste to invest 30-50m on when Casemiro will always be first choice. You just halt a young player’s development - I dont buy the understudy of casemiro thing. It wont matter if you dont play and practice.

its different with other positions - for wings, backs, central defence, or the Bruno/Eriksen positions you compete with at least 2 other guys and it’s way easier to be given chances there because there’s more chance of rotation.
Casemiro gets suspended and injured and we can’t suffer such a bad drop off and a difference in how we have to play without him.

A CDM for that money that wouldn’t mind being a deputy for a few years is exactly what we need.

jesperjaap

As long as we actually have decent backup at all, yeah. Which we do, for every other position. But for Casemiro's position, we have nothing adequate at all. And at least one of the other positions you wanted to prioritise (CB) was also a backup - and one where we already have at least two (Shaw and Lindelof).
Disagree. Not just us but seveal premiership top sides, the drop off from the first elven to the bench is huge. Look at Arsenal and Saliba to Holding.

Varane is missing quite a lot of games and the drop down from him to Lindelof is similar. Malacia has done ok, but if Shaw is playing centre back the drop down to him or Dalot is big, he drop down from Fernandes is big, from DeGea is big.

I know they are a different entity at the moment, but CIty can leave the majority of there first team out and you wouldnt notice/

Where is this good cover in every position you are talking about with us. Right back...I am a fan of Bissaka, always have been but neither him or DAlot have yet to prove themselves all round as numbe ones, I only see it as good there and on the left wing with Rashford, Garnacho and the still not yet performing Sancho.

You can maybe yes swap Eriksen, Fred and Sabitzer around... all different players but not a hge dropdown, the fear of Eriksen beign missed was overplayed.....again for me this is another area where none of them are actually the right player to be starting in a first eleven.

For me bar maybe Rashfords position, our best players (and the majority of them have been big first eleven signings recently) the drop down from Martinez, Varane, Casemeiro and Fernandes is huge, I think its blinkered to think Casemeiros position is the onyl one.

The one thing I would agree with is Shaw has dne an excellent job when called upon to cover Martinez, thats the only one

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Shaw can’t really be counted since he's first choice LB (which means if hes playing CB) then we are weaker in 2 positions not just 1.

He can of course cover but its not ideal and I reckon in the summer we will see a CB come in to address that.

justsomebloke

Shaw can’t really be counted since he's first choice LB (which means if hes playing CB) then we are weaker in 2 positions not just 1.

He can of course cover but its not ideal and I reckon in the summer we will see a CB come in to address that.
Well, for Casemiro's position we don't even have that kind of cover.

justsomebloke

Disagree. Not just us but seveal premiership top sides, the drop off from the first elven to the bench is huge. Look at Arsenal and Saliba to Holding.

Varane is missing quite a lot of games and the drop down from him to Lindelof is similar. Malacia has done ok, but if Shaw is playing centre back the drop down to him or Dalot is big, he drop down from Fernandes is big, from DeGea is big.

I know they are a different entity at the moment, but CIty can leave the majority of there first team out and you wouldnt notice/

Where is this good cover in every position you are talking about with us. Right back...I am a fan of Bissaka, always have been but neither him or DAlot have yet to prove themselves all round as numbe ones, I only see it as good there and on the left wing with Rashford, Garnacho and the still not yet performing Sancho.

You can maybe yes swap Eriksen, Fred and Sabitzer around... all different players but not a hge dropdown, the fear of Eriksen beign missed was overplayed.....again for me this is another area where none of them are actually the right player to be starting in a first eleven.

For me bar maybe Rashfords position, our best players (and the majority of them have been big first eleven signings recently) the drop down from Martinez, Varane, Casemeiro and Fernandes is huge, I think its blinkered to think Casemeiros position is the onyl one.

The one thing I would agree with is Shaw has dne an excellent job when called upon to cover Martinez, thats the only one
What, are you serious? No. You can not "swap Eriksen, Fred and Sabitzer around". That is exactly the point. None of those players are more than an emergency fill-in as the deep-lying holding midfielder. That's not their game, and they don't have the qualities it needs. The only one we have is McTominay.

And mate, at CB and RB, the players who are currently our backups were our starters two seasons ago.

jesperjaap

What, are you serious? No. You can not "swap Eriksen, Fred and Sabitzer around". That is exactly the point. None of those players are more than an emergency fill-in as the deep-lying holding midfielder. That's not their game, and they don't have the qualities it needs. The only one we have is McTominay.

And mate, at CB and RB, the players who are currently our backups were our starters two seasons ago.
Sorry wasnt clear what I wrote or you misread it. I meant swap around as the partner for Casemeiro and none of them are good enough to be in the starting eleven over a season. Didnt mean swap them around instead of Casemeiro.

Whole point I am tryin gto make, people are pointing to the record of Casemeiro, Eriksen and Fernandes as a trio...buts its still nto ideal for me, not against the bigger sides, that is why a partner for Casmeiro is far more important than a back up for him as a signing, my initial point

croadyman

Sorry wasnt clear what I wrote or you misread it. I meant swap around as the partner for Casemeiro and none of them are good enough to be in the starting eleven over a season. Didnt mean swap them around instead of Casemeiro.

Whole point I am tryin gto make, people are pointing to the record of Casemeiro, Eriksen and Fernandes as a trio...buts its still nto ideal for me, not against the bigger sides, that is why a partner for Casmeiro is far more important than a back up for him as a signing, my initial point
Ideally we want someone who can do both

Baxquux

Quality player and can definitely improve another 2-3 levels with experience and coaching: more of a Robertson or Wijnaldum than (insert typical relegated player signing for promoted club!) though he'll probably cost 40+. So long as we get another midfielder, more of an overt playmaker with mobility and press-resistance, to accompany him, I think this makes a lot of sense to sub in for Cas and learn from him, or even play alongside him in games when it needs to be ground out.

mikeyt

This guy would be a cracking buy and hopefully not too costly. The ideal profile for me.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
MCFC might have a buy-back clause — but that only means that Sunderland has to accept the offer, right?

Unless MCFC can ensure playing time for him, you never know if he would sign there.